Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th December 2012, 13:00   #46
BHPian

Arrow Re: My Toyota Liva GDSP, a true Journey : 1st Free Service at 1022 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Quite true. My service experience has been likewise and I too, like you, upgraded from Alto to Toyota Liva GD.

Loved your ownership report, and wishing you miles of happy driving on this beautiful car. Liva surely is a no-nonsense car, and I have no reasons to complain through my three months and 4500 km with it.
Nice you liked the post Subratsenn Certainly, this is a no-nonsense car. I am steadily getting 17+ in Bangalore Bumper-to-Bumper traffic (100% A/C ON) - why would one complain such a good companion??

The only point of concern to me in this car is the sensitive Shock-Absorbers. Even at very low speeds (<10 kmph), the car scrapes / touches the mini-mountains (speed-breakers) of Bangalore when driven with 4+ averagely built adults. Do you face this problem too?

In general, I get an opinion from all my friends that: "I never thought the car would be so comfortable & spacious when looked from outside; one has to sit inside to understand it - good show by Toyotas". I must admit this when we compare this car with a Swift / Figo.

Good Luck to you too, enjoy each mile with a smile

Cheers!
M
Mister_M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 23:31   #47
BHPian

Default Re: My Toyota Liva GDSP, a true Journey : 1st Free Service at 1022 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
The only point of concern to me in this car is the sensitive Shock-Absorbers. Even at very low speeds (<10 kmph), the car scrapes / touches the mini-mountains (speed-breakers) of Bangalore when driven with 4+ averagely built adults. Do you face this problem too?
The car doesn't really touch/scrape the mini-mountains.

I think what you mean is the loud "THUD" sound that is created by the shock absorbers whenever it hits a speed-breakers or a pothole (here in Kolkata we gave these deep gorges too, besides the mountains )

It's just the sound of the shock absorbers on its recoil, which creates the sound. Every Etios/Liva faces this and has been reported widely on the car's various threads. It's not a defect, just the design of the shock absorbers and nothing to worry about though, Toyota has assured. But yes, we have to live with this sound (which initially seemed to me that the car is hitting something). I have gotten used to this by now.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 19:06   #48
BHPian

Arrow 2nd FREE Service Report (10,000 Kms Update)

Sorry for not keeping the thread alive for quite some time now; Busy timelines, Project schedules, etc... are just lame excuses, Laziness to write-up must be the right reason.

Nevertheless, it is time for a 10,000 kilometer Free Service update. I shall try to keep this precise and to the point so that this would benefit our readers.

Service Center: Nandi Toyota, Bommanahalli
Odo - Reading: 9751 kms
Apointment Booking Date: 27-Mar-2013
Service Date: 30-Mar-2013 (6months and 6 days from the date of delivery)
Service Check-In time: 10:30 AM
Service Check-Out Time: 6:00 PM (as scheduled during Check-In)
Waiting times during Check-in and Check-Out: +/- 10 mins max.

My Service-Expectations:
1. Work on eliminating the "Thud" sound - probably with placement of a spacer as done in many cases. Though I got used to it within a month of my initial ownership, it really annoys my co-passengers (Especially wifey ).

2. Minor Rattling noise from the front driver side door - to be checked and corrected.

3. My city mileage in heavy Bumper to Bumper Bangalore traffic (mostly in Peak hours through Electronics City and Silk Board) with 100% A/C is 16 Kms to 16.5 Kms. Highway mileage is a constant 19+ kms. I am not sure if this is all to expect, so I wanted them to check if anything could be done to improve the mileage.

4. Consumables - To check and Top-up / Refill / repair as per their service checklist.

5. I have just completed the Wheel balancing, alignment and rotation during 7,000 kms at Tyre Emporium(HSR Layout). Additionally, I found absolutely no issues in this respect while driving. So, they can skip it duting this 10,000 kms servicing. I will be doing this exercise at 12,000 kms (This time since I have taken Smiles package, I would do it at Toyota Service itself as I will get a flat 50% off).

6. Initially, an estimate was given for INR 2900 + taxes for consumables, wheel alignment, etc.. This was before taking a Toyota Smiles Package. So, I wanted to have a check on how beneficial the "Smiles" package is going to be and if found reasonable, I would want to go for it.

Service Highlights:
1. Just like the 1st Free (1,000 kms) service, this 2nd 10,000 kms free service ended up with "ZERO" bill (Excluding the fact that I have gone for the Toyota Smiles Pack for INR 2925).

2. Both the Front Shock Absorbers were replaced (new design) : again at zero cost. After this replacement, my Liva has not touched a single bump or a speed breaker. The famous "Thud" sound too have disappeared. (I have thoroughly tested this with full load of 5 well-built adults in a couple of regular bumps where the "Thud" sound was usual). I must admit that I am satisfied at this aspect - Good move Toyota!

3. Special Thanks to fellow BHPian subratasenn for hinting details regarding the Smiles package. Toyota's first "Best" offer price after a 10% discount was INR 3300 (which addresses all consumables during 10,000 kms and 20,000 kms services) . Further negotiated it and finalised it at their "old" price of INR 2925 (includes taxes). This cost is lesser that their estimate given and the bonus is - this package includes all consumables for my next year's service too! Which means, I must again receive "Almost" another Zero bill for my next service at 20,000 kms too (provided that there are no additional complaints).

4. Wash-job + vacuuming was neat during delivery.

5. Driveability factor, engine smoothness, Braking, etc.. - all seem to be good and gives confidence that these points will most probably last for the next 10,000 kms / 1 year (whichever is earlier).

Low-lights:
1. Since the agreed delivery time was 6:00 PM (almost their closing time), the Service Consultant had no time to explain what was done. A gate-pass was hurriedly made with no explanations given.
Corrective Action: a. I had called the Service Consultant's Team Lead and got the briefing done through phone. b. Reported the same during their Feedback call.

2. Though the rattling sound from the driver side door has considerably reduced, it has not completely stopped yet. I have fixed a re-visit appointment with the Service Consultant for next week. I shall post a status of it once this is re-checked.

Open Points:
1. They have said that they have worked on Mileage tuning. They also have advised me to fill the fuel up to the mark-line on the tank every time (which must act as the benchmark for a tank-full to tank-full check) for a more precise mileage calculation. Nevertheless, 16+ in Bangalore Traffic and 20+ on highways in their opinion seems to be a "Decent" mileage for this car. I will have to get this point checked in the next 1,000 kms run.

2. Must re-check with them regarding the rattling sound (may be next week).

Overall:
Except for the 2 low-lights mentioned above, the overall Service quality is easily on "Acceptable" levels. I rated an overall 7 in their feedback form. It would have been an easy 9 if the above-said low-lights were taken care of! Ever-since I owned a Maruti, I had no such expectations; (no offense meant for other Maruti owners, this is just my humble opinion). I guess - I have started expecting / demanding more after becoming a part of Toyota Family. On a lighter note: Is this how you spoil your customers Toyota?

Cheers!!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 4th April 2013 at 19:13.
Mister_M is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 16:36   #49
BHPian

Default Re: 2nd FREE Service Report (10,000 Kms Update)

That was indeed a very good service experience. Thanks for sharing the details. I am another 3K km away from my 10K service.

In the 20K service, you can go for toyota recommended synthetic oil. It costs a bit more though.
sups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 13:08   #50
BHPian

Default Re: My Toyota Liva GDSP, a true Journey: 2nd Free Service (10,000 kms) update on Pg.

Thanks for sharing the 10,000 km service experience. In Smile scheme you can actually ask for free pick up and delivery. I opted for that in my 10,000 km service and everything was done over phone with no complaints from my side.

Getting a rattle issue fixed is probably the most difficult thing on earth. But Toyota takes good care if the problem is persists. However, they might hold back the delivery for one more day just to recheck and confirm that the issue has been solved.

Like the front shock absorbers, Toyota is offering free upgrade to the new shock absorbers for the rear suspensions too. Only to complaining customers. I got a phone from Toyota people in this respect, saying that if I need they'll replace the rear shock absorbers.

I never had a problem with the rear suspension but some people seem to have complained about sagging under heavy load, which gets solved with the upgrade.

You might consider this upgrade when you go back to correct the rattle.

Last edited by subratasenn : 6th April 2013 at 13:10.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:10   #51
BHPian

Arrow Re: 2nd FREE Service Report (10,000 Kms Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post

Like the front shock absorbers, Toyota is offering free upgrade to the new shock absorbers for the rear suspensions too. Only to complaining customers. I got a phone from Toyota people in this respect, saying that if I need they'll replace the rear shock absorbers.

You might consider this upgrade when you go back to correct the rattle.
Thanks for the Tip Subratsenn. I did check with my Service Advisor regarding the Rear Springs replacement (as the Thud does exist on very rare occasions only) along with this Rattling noise. I even quoted that Toyota dealerships in Calcutta are voluntarily offering such replacements. After a few Email communications, they have confirmed that such a replacement of Rear Shock absorbers and Coil springs would cost me INR 3300.

1. Do you see that this replacement mandatory? (I am pretty fine as the thud sound has almost disappeared after placement of Spacers).

2. In case I opt for a replacement (I don't intend for it though): If this is covered under warranty in Calcutta, why not in Bangalore? <<My car is manufactured on 11th Sep 2012. Does this qualify for a Free replacement?>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
In the 20K service, you can go for toyota recommended synthetic oil. It costs a bit more though.
@ Sups, yes they did suggest if I wanted to go for a Synthetic oil; I too opted for their Mineral oil this time and am planning for this Synthetic oil during the 20,000 kms service. But is it really making any big difference in performance? I would appreciate if you could share across your research that you may have done regarding this point.

Cheers!!
M
Old 14th May 2013, 11:50   #52
BHPian

Arrow 2nd Free Service: Re-check Summary after 2000 additional kilometers

As planned, the driver from Nandi Toyota came on 17th April came to my office at Electronics City for the pick-up on time (11:30 AM). The SA had called me prior confirming the same.

Points discussed:
1. Rattle noise (from the Driver side door)
2. Not-so-often (still existing) "Thud" noise from the rear shocks
3. I found some water droplets in the driver foot-well. Wanted them to check them if there was any leakage.

Status update call at 4:00 PM:
The SA called me for a status-update:
1. Found the source from where the rattling noise came from. The dealer-fitted "TVSS" system had a loose bolt / screw. This was fixed.
2. They have re-examined the rear shocks and spacers; re-alignment is done too and the "Thud" must disappear from now on.
3. There was no need for replacing the rear spring coils / setup with new ones as the problem was fixed by the spacer re-alignment.
4. If I still insist, then it would be at an additional cost of INR 3300 (Obviously, I opted not to go for it). After driving some 2000 kilometers from this re-check, I can confirm that there is no need for the rear-shock absorber set replacements.
5. I had replaced the front wind-shield (from Ravindu Toyota) due to a crack it developed from a sharp stone from a trailer on the highway. They suspected if any water leakage happened through the replaced wind-shield. No such observation found in their standard tests.
6. They have checked all rubber beadings, under-body openings for leakages. No effects found on tests.
7. They are unable to simulate water entering from any direction; I must report if this happens again.

After my acceptance through phone, the car was dropped baclk at my office at 6:00 PM. They had additionally washed the car plus the interior-vacuuming (Toyota does surprises me at all possible places). I was handed a Service-bill with a total cost of "Zero" rupees. They obviously had a satisfied customer.

Kilometers on ODO during Pickup: 10,900
Current ODO reading (while writing this update): 12,900 kms

My comments after 2000 kilometers:

1. The "Thud" sound or the under-body touching any sort of bumps / humps is all HISTORY now. City driving has become a little stiffer compared to the earlier - but nothing much to complain about this. Basic comfort is not compromised.

2. The car has seen a couple of heavy rains in between. No trace of water droplets inside; I couldn't simulate it again too.

3. Mileage: 17 to 18 in city (100% A/C in Bumper-to-Bumper Bangalore traffic). I get a little more than a couple of additional kilometers when I drive on highways (Average speed: 90 to 100 kmph).

4. Rattling noise from the driver door has gone now. Instead, there is a new rattling from the rear-left side. Must get this checked during the next service visit.

* 12,900 kms in 7.7 months till date averages my drive around 1675 kms per month.

* Considering an average mileage of 17 kmpl, I have filled around 758 liters of Diesel (Worth 39,500 INR @ 52 rupees per liter). Works at around 3 rupees per kilometer.

* If I had taken Honda Jazz (which was my Petrol choice during the time of buy), considering an average of 14 kmpl mileage - I would have filled 921 liters of Petrol (worth 66,500 INR @ 72 rupees per liter). This would have worked at around 5.14 rupees per kilometer.

* This has roughly saved me 25k to 27K INR on Fuel in 7 to 8 months from the date of purchase. Liva Service costs are quite reasonable too till date.
<<Both the cars (Jazz Select and Liva GDSP) without extra fitments costed around the same on-road price.>>

* If Petrol Liva would also give similar mileage figures like the Jazz, 1/3rd of the Diesel-Premium cost (around a Lac) that I paid is already taken back; Possible Complete Paisa Wasool of this premium in another 16 to 18 months / 30,000 kilometers - whichever is earlier

One can make similar math in comparison with other cars in terms of mileage, maintenance costs, etc. Liva definitely is a no-nonsense, practical family car. Toyota's well-behaved Service Network (as far as I have seen till date) is definitely an extra-cheese topping to this premium package.

Cheers!!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 14th May 2013 at 11:51.
Mister_M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 19:39   #53
BHPian

Arrow New Milestone: 17K kms in 11 months

Hello Friends,

It has been 11 months since my purchase date and thoght of posting a new milestone of 17,000 kms last week. Eagerly waiting to celebrate the first birthday of my Liva. Undoubtedly, I am a proud owner

My Toyota Liva GDSP, a true Journey: 2nd Free Service (10,000 kms) update on Pg. 4-20130823_115323.jpg

My Toyota Liva GDSP, a true Journey: 2nd Free Service (10,000 kms) update on Pg. 4-20130816_113047.jpg

I shall summarise the 1st year ownership's +ves and -ves shortly. I received a reminder call from Ravindu for my Insurance extension today (which is due by 21st September) and this is when I thought I must revoke this sleeping thread

Catch you all soon with some more useful updates.

Cheers!!
M
Old 27th August 2013, 22:48   #54
BHPian

Default Re: My Toyota Liva GDSP, a true Journey: 2nd Free Service (10,000 kms) update on Pg.

Hey buddy, 17k in 11 months is quite an achievement. That summarize the your decision of buying diesel over petrol. You would have saved a lot of money on that. Best part is I was also involved in your car purchase last year. Come up soon with your long term ownership experience.
Jetta_Volkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 09:00   #55
BHPian

Wow. 17k in 11 months? Mine's at 17k only after 17 months!
You do a lot of highway runs, dont you??
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 13:10   #56
BHPian

Yesterday, the underbody took a stone hit at 40kmph. I pulled over and i was shocked to see the bonnet open. I tried closing it but it wont go back to it original position. Looks like the radiator has moved up and bent the bar on which the bonnet rests. :(
Very worried about it. Fixed an appointment for service tomorrow at Hasrha Toyota. Fingers crossed. Hope nothing's serious.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131219_130825.png
Views: 2306
Size:  495.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131219_130854.png
Views: 2314
Size:  515.2 KB

I even drove 30kms after the hit. No issues with running and AC works fine too. The TVSS is making a different sound when i lock the car. Any suggestions on what to do? Has anyone else faced this?
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 16:09   #57

Hi saadat1992, There is an actuator switch made of rubber just where the bonnet ends. That needs to be adjusted. Any easy for service people to fix.
bhaduriaritr is offline   Reply With Quote