Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th September 2012, 20:29   #1
BHPian

Wink Silver Dust in our life - Renault Duster RXL 110

Hello,

I have been driving a Tata Indica Turbo for over 6 years and had wanted to move to a sedan or SUV.

I heard of the Duster first in 2011 in the forum and had been hooked on to it after reading about its performance in international markets.

Overall Feedback at 2000 KMs

The Good -
  • Ride Quality
  • Stability
  • Road Presence
  • Ingress and egress for elders
  • Layout of Audio controls and mirror adjustments
  • Bluetooth sync
  • No Wind Noise
  • Mileage of 20 Km on highways and 12 in City
  • Turning Radius is very small
Not so Good -
  • No Auto Lock on movement
  • Layout of power window switch in rear seats, it keeps opening due to its position
  • Distance To Empty Display gets reset as soon as fuel reaches reserve
  • No Auto opening of boot, i need to explain to all my office security to press the button
  • The plastics like door handles are bad, the mud flaps are of mediocre quality,their screws have already rusted.
  • FM reception is poor even inside City.
  • AC does not feel very effective in hotter environs
  • The stock MRF Tyres are a stone magnet.
  • The service coupon is a letter ,with absolutely no details of the first service at 2000 KMs.
Pre Booking
Like all my big budget purchases, i booked the Duster in June without seeing it and based only on good reviews.I paid an advance of 50,000 in the empty showroom at KR Puram.The SE was to have his training on Duster in the next 3 days and he said that he will call as soon as he has driven the car.He called and was all praise for its handling.

Test Drive
I went to see the vehicle in flesh on the day of launch and it was very impressive,got a test drive the next day in the morning and again went for another the same evening with brother and brother in law. All 3 of us came back impressed with the ride.

Actual Booking
I had told the SE about wanting to sell my Indica through them at the time of getting delivery of the Duster.They sent a rep to my home who came with a customer the next day who paid in cash and wanted the car the same day.Not being sure if i will get the same price ,i decided to sell the car and went to the Renault showroom to deposit the cash i received.I booked the silver RXL 110 model since it looked good in the poster.The rear AC in the RXZ was a sore and i went for the RXL compromising on the Air bags(Hope i don't have to regret it). The delivery time in the booking form was written as before Aug end.

The Wait..
I used to call the SE every day to ask him when i would get the delivery.One day the showroom called to say that i would get the car the next week and i need to pay the full amount ASAP.My pre approved loan from HDFC didn't get approved and i had to get it from Kotak via the dealer.
The full payment was made and i was told of deliver on August 3rd.

The Day arrives

I Dream from Home(Work from Home) the first half of 3rd and then head to the showroom for delivery with wife and daughter ahead of my defined time. The SE is surprised i didn't inform him of coming early and the car had not completed the delivery wash,ribbon,etc.Then i see a duster being bought into the showroom,its the first silver duster that we are seeing(the silver in the poster looked better!!)The showroom did the pooja ,explained the papers and the vehicle and handed over the Duster.
Some pictures of the same
Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 17258
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  Rear.jpg
Views: 14512
Size:  51.8 KB
Name:  Steering.jpg
Views: 13143
Size:  59.0 KB
Silver Dusted Life Begins
I have driven the vehicle for 2000 KMS now,completed a trip to Thirupati.
The drive is superb,the stability is good, the brakes can be better and the plastics are bad.
I get a mileage of 12 in the City and my drive to Thirupati returned me 20 with speed not exceeding 110 Kms.
I have got rear view sensors and camera fitted since the visibility of low level objects at the rear is missing
There is some jerking in 2nd gear at low speeds.

The seats are comfortable at rear, the driver seat i am yet to get the perfect driving position.

Name:  RearCamera.jpg
Views: 11824
Size:  103.8 KB
The speakers were very mediocre and i went to Evo.They suggested Rockford Prime Component for front and co-axil for rears. I also went for subs since i now have lots of space in the boot.

Some pictures of the setup.
Name:  Speaker.jpg
Views: 11358
Size:  98.1 KB
Name:  Woofer.jpg
Views: 10292
Size:  71.7 KB

I also got paint protection detailing done by UD.Mohsin & Nirmal displayed lots of paint quality issues in the Car near the wiper.
The pro's at their work
Name:  Detailing.jpg
Views: 13649
Size:  91.0 KB

I got my seat covers done at Limra Car Decor at Banaswadi.
Name:  FrontSeat Medium.jpg
Views: 10378
Size:  58.2 KB
Name:  RearSeat Medium.jpg
Views: 11610
Size:  60.8 KB

The Drive
Highway Feedback-
We went to Thirupati covering a distance of 500 Kms. The mileage displayed 20 KMPL. The ghat climb was very smooth. On my Indica i use 1st and 2nd gear for the climb, on Duster i used only 2nd and 3rd throughout the climb.Post the climb the average in mileage dropped to 19.5. The drive to Thirupati was very comfortable ,absolutely no weariness. The Duster went sailing over the potholes on Chitoor Bye pass. I drove at a max of 110 Kms since i was in ride in and the vehicle still had enough power left for additional speeds.

City Feedback-
The bumper to bumper drive tires the leg due to a heavy clutch. Maneuvering is a breeze,Brakes feel a bit sloppy at times.

Interiors

Seats are comfortable, AC Knobs are very tacky,The Air circulation knob does not seem to work.There is adequate knee space at rear with seats pushed back.There is no bottle holders in rear door sides which is a negative.The turn indicators are not visible at daylight.There was fog build up in the car during rains and needed constant work of opening windows ,turning on heater,etc to go away.The driver seat provides a good view of the bonnet.

Exterior

Front looks are awesome.Rear and sides are ok.Front wipers are beginning to leave marks.The rear wiper is of better quality.The default wheel caps does not look bad compared to alloys.There is light dirt being thrown through micro gaps in the doors.

Name:  View.jpg
Views: 10328
Size:  100.2 KB

Overall We are enjoying our ride and time in the Duster.Visited the service center once for a check light coming on and off.They said that it was due to using a higher gear at lower speed and there was no problem. Only low point of the visit , The service adviser whose contact number i was given never met or called me despite telling me that he was out and will meet me in 5 minutes.

First Service:
At the first service i complained about jerking in 2nd gear and the service adviser mentioned that since the vehicle has 6 gears, the second gear should ideally not be used for low speeds.
The Audio head unit is being replaced for faulty FM reception and bluetooth microphone.
The engine oil was not replaced and the SA recommended to change it only at 10k KM's.
I also got a silicon coating done in the engine bay to prevent water seepage,it cost 550 Rs.
The AC circulation internal knobs have been replaced.
The service center have not received the front and rear crash guard.
The service center did not have many cars for service but still delayed the delivery of my Car by 2 hours.The exterior wash quality was very poor.There was a long play in the hand brake which has been reduced in the service.
Attached Images

Last edited by werfish : 29th September 2012 at 15:15. Reason: Updated to include Mod comments for more details
werfish is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 21:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Silver Dust in our life- Duster RXL 110

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your purchase. This is the third initial ownership thread of the Duster which is started today (first of Neil Roy and the second of Nitinz). This shows the Duster has proved to be a great success for Renault.
Anyways, yours is the first silver duster I am seeing. Looks quite neat and simple in this shade.
Well that was a great write-up and the pics served as the icing on the cake. I wish you many happy miles of motoring with the beast.
Keep us updated of the mods you plan (if any). I also hope to see the tbhp stickers on it.
Congratulations once again.
Take Care and Drive Safe.
dZired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 22:44   #3
BHPian

Congratulations. Silver looks good and the black claddings look attractive on silver.
Quick question. Is the paint protection that important? How much it would cost? Any one doing that in chennai?
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 23:10   #4
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Its raining Dusters on Team-BHP.

Moon Dust Silver is my favourite colour and IMO the Duster looks the best in Silver. If I had bought this car, it would have been this colour.

Wishing you a million miles on your new drive. Drive safe!

Last edited by MAS : 8th September 2012 at 23:14.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 23:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow another duster review, Indeed it's raining dusters on Team-BHP and the more i read the reviews, More i get tempted to buy one.

Congratulations on your latest acquisition, Looks smashing in silver. One of the best color's on duster.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead with her, Drive safe

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 12:24   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Silver Dust in our life - Renault Duster RXL 110

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 13:02   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new duster! I am one of the 20,000 bookings waiting for delivery. I have a few questions.

1. You have listed absence of wind noise as a positive while everyone else has been complaining it's pretty loud. This was mentioned even in the team BHP review

2. What reverse camera & display did you buy, does it include navigation also. Please mention the cost of the same

3. How is the under thigh support in the rear seats ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
motorhead1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 14:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post
Congrats on your new duster! I am one of the 20,000 bookings waiting for delivery. I have a few questions.

1. You have listed absence of wind noise as a positive while everyone else has been complaining it's pretty loud. This was mentioned even in the team BHP review

2. What reverse camera & display did you buy, does it include navigation also. Please mention the cost of the same

3. How is the under thigh support in the rear seats ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
1) I have been driving at max speeds of 110 and i did not hear any wind noise.
2) I have picked a rear view camera brand called hilife ,it came to 9k and includes 4 rear sensors.It does not include navigation.
3) I do not have a tall people in my family/friends,none complained about lack of thigh support.
werfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 22:25   #9
BHPian

Congrats for the Duster, man. Silver looks quite good on the car. Post some more interior snaps. Also, one for the wheel cap.
Happy driving meanwhile.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 17:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
I have picked a rear view camera brand called hilife ,it came to 9k and includes 4 rear sensors.It does not include navigation.
Congrats Werfish on aquiring most VFM SUV available as of now.
Please post some pictures of the interiors with rear camera & sensor display.
h.s.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 00:49   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your new Duster ! Silver does look good on it, with those black inserts at the bottom. Wishing you many miles of happy journey with Dusty.

You mentioned about some paint issues near wiper right? What were those problems ?
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 07:09   #12
BHPian

Now nearing two months from your last post. Why dont you put some updates, so, that we the less privileged 'booked & waiting class' may prepare ourselves to be happy or other.
vskesavan is offline   Reply With Quote