Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th September 2012, 19:26   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT

Congrats on your buy dezrskb. So finally you took the plunge on the Laura MT. All the best for your fantastic purchase. I feel that the Elegance trim is the best value among the Laura & personally was the close runner up & would have been my ride - albeit in the AT guise but for the new Jetta

Do keep sharing your experiences. You should plan a highway getaway to give the Laura a chance to stretch her legs. Am sure you'll have fun behind the wheel with her.

Happy Motoring.

@ ACM: You have recommended ES501 as a tyre change. I was looking at V550 as an option (in case not Michelin PLC). Any reasons for not recommending that one? Atleast on their site they have mentioned it to be a better handler & more grippy in wet conditions as well.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 20:25   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Congrats on your new purchase. was looking at the laura myself and i believe the Diwali time is a good time to negotiate even larger discounts. i test drove the automatic diesel today and over all the car was very good. was a bit disappointed with the ac and the interiors of the car were very drab. It was the ambition version.

whats kinds of discounts should one expect. mostly am going to for the elegance version
amidoc is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 08:53   #33
BHPian

Hi dezrskb, congrats for the purchase. Nicely written review. I like this colour a lot. I would have loved my TSI (that I am going to purchase) in the same colour, but unfortunately they have only silver and white. Good that you went for elegance, Ambition carries just the bare minimum necessities. Though given the discounts on the petrol model, IMO its VFM there.
Shreyas Aterkar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 09:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations dezrskb! Nice review, and great choice of colour. I am not a fan of beige, but somehow like this shade on the Laura. And the best part about the elegance trim is, you can keep the car pretty much stock (for e.g.; comfort add-ons like leather seats comes as standard). Only thing I dislike in the higher variants of Laura is the faux wood inserts. I find the brushed silver trim in the ambition better

Enjoy the new drive, and do keep updating the thread!
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 09:14   #35
BHPian

"Oh my god!!"

This was what I said when it happened. Well, it happened like this -
It was yesterday late evening when I finished cleaning my car. I had lifted the wipers off the front windshield as per instructions. Just after I finished cleaning glass, it started to drizzle again. Cleaning area being open space under the sky, I didn't want the car to become wet again, so with the wipers up, decided to move the car about ten steps further, under the shelter. I was careful not to touch the wiper stalks. But guess what? Just as I drove in first gear about few feet, "Thud" came down the wipers on the windshield !!. With an uneasy feeling and racing pulse, I examined the windshield and there it was !. A fine crack starting at the lower edge of the windshield where the left wiper hit the glass, stretching horizontally along the black (?sealant) margin for few inches. A partial thickness crack, because I could not feel it from outside. Most probably the wiper stalk might have been in auto-sensing position which is one click above "off" position and in this position, the sensor senses water drops on the windshield and starts wiping !!. But as long as there are no water drops on the glass, it doesn't move. I had to go out again on some work in night 2 times and it rained heavily. But to my relief, there is no visible water anywhere inside cabin / engine bay. Though trying to drive with wipers up is a stupid thing to do looking retrospectively, what is done is done. I have contacted Skoda Service and they said glass was not readily available and a order was placed with expected delivery within 10-14 days. Price they are quoting including sealant and labor charges is approx 15K. I guess the the windshield manufacturing is not yet localized? I will try to get detail break-up and take few snaps and post it later . Though it is depressing, I guess this post should help others with this car to be careful (well, my Dzire didn't have such "cutting edge" technology, so there were no issues even if I erred a bit). Also I think when you switch the engine on/off, wipers twitch slightly (I was told it is a normal phenomenon with this car by sales agent) though I don't know the purpose of it. I also have a feeling that even if wiper stalk is in "off" position, when engine is switched on, they might come down automatically.

What is bad?
* It was stupid thing to do on my part with a new car!
* European car! Expensive spares! Skoda ! you have to take lot of precautions !
* Many more of my friends are yet to see the car and congratulate me and appreciate the beauty. What do I do??
* Even though I am not short of funds, the glass is not available readily, will take about 2 wks to arrive, 2 days to fix. Crack may extend till then? with alternate sunshine and rains, its a possibility. Also partial thickness crack may become full thickness one.

What is good? (there surely can't be anything good in this right? Still the not so bad part of it is-)
* Crack is at the lower edge of the glass, starts from below the bonnet, extends horizontally along the black sealant margin - what I meant is it is not visible unless you go near and inspect. You know, I had 4 more of my friends appreciate the car last night from all quarters. None noticed it even while sitting in front passenger seat right in front of the crack !
* partial thickness crack right now
* water not entering through it.
* Windshield glass is on way!
* I am determined to get the car set right whatever it takes and wont worry much. It was not a manufacture defect but a self inflicted injury!

I have decided not to claim insurance and pay the whole amount.
Anybody has any idea about the cost of Laura front windshield?

I got Maxpider Kagu 3D floor mats yesterday (purchased online) and installed it myself. But I feel they should have covered the carpets along the sides a bit more. Otherwise they do have a good fit and will not slip. Driver area foot mat is specifically designed to leave "organ" type accelerator paddle uncovered whereas most other after market ones will partially cover it (will post the pics later).

Last edited by dezrskb : 13th September 2012 at 09:35.
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 09:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Oh man , I feel sorry for you.
Are you gonna claim insurance ?
Try wind shield experts. They should have it and may workout cheaper.
Keep us posted.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 09:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that dezrskb. But it is quite strange to see a falling wiper blade creating a crack. Its falling edge is rubber after all and these are laminated windshields if I am correct. Just plain bad luck I would say. Yes, we need to be more careful with these tech laden cars. I had a tough time upgrading from my simple Toyotas.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 10:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sorry to hear about this incident. As dkaile said, it is surprising to note that the wiper stalk coming down on the windshield caused the glass to crack. Well , just treat it as a lesson learnt and you can put than on the "dont's" list with with this car and any future cars you are going to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Also I think when you switch the engine on/off, wipers twitch slightly (I was told it is a normal phenomenon with this car by sales agent) though I don't know the purpose of it. .
That is one of many thoughtful features built into to the car. The twitch is purposely programmed in the wiper so that that every time we switch off the car the wiper blade changes its position slightly. THis is done to extend the longevity of the soft wiper rubber. If the wiper stays in the same position for long duration (summer etc...) the rubber edge may fold and harden in that position.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 14:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
"Oh my god!!"

This was what I said when it happened...

... I have decided not to claim insurance and pay the whole amount.
Anybody has any idea about the cost of Laura front windshield?

I got Maxpider Kagu 3D floor mats yesterday (purchased online) and installed it myself. But I feel they should have covered the carpets along the sides a bit more. Otherwise they do have a good fit and will not slip. Driver area foot mat is specifically designed to leave "organ" type accelerator paddle uncovered whereas most other after market ones will partially cover it (will post the pics later).
Oh Man. That's a bummer. Even a small scratch on a new car does hurt - and doubly so if it is of your own doing - especially if it could have been avoided.

IMO 15K for windshield sounds steep. Pls check out other options like "windshield experts". The pricing might be more reasonable & you might get a replacement quicker.
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 15:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1
Pls check out other options like "windshield experts". The pricing might be more reasonable
I enquired with WE. Costs 13.5K with them (glass alone). Sealant and labor together 15-16K then sounds realistic. Will go with Skoda.
Old 13th September 2012, 16:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I enquired with WE. Costs 13.5K with them (glass alone). Sealant and labor together 15-16K then sounds realistic. Will go with Skoda.
Why are you not claiming insurance ? I am sure you wont save 15k on NCB for 2nd year !
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 17:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Why are you not claiming insurance ? I am sure you wont save 15k on NCB for 2nd year !
On second thoughts why not? Any idea how much I may lose as NCB? Also if I don't claim anything second year, there will be NCB 3rd year again? (I haven't claimed insurance till now on 2 of my previous cars over 1.2L Kms, so have no ideal how NCB works. Either I am stupid or I am incredibly careful driver ).

Have attached some Pics

1. This is how the crack appears from a particular angle from outside. Barely visible from other angles though.

2. This is how the crack appears from inside the car against a brighter background.

Some other interesting things.

3. Anybody knows what is this button for? Its located on inner surface of driver's seat height adjustment handle. Don't remember it being mentioned in user manual.

4. Is this a dead pedal for right foot? What is the use? Pattern imprinted on it looks similar to one on dead pedal on left side. Don't remember noticing them in my previous Marutis.
Attached Thumbnails
Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-crack-ext.jpg  

Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-crack-int.jpg  

Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-rt-foot-dead-pedal.jpg  

Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-mysterious-button2.jpg  

Old 13th September 2012, 18:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
On second thoughts why not? Any idea how much I may lose as NCB?

Have attached some Pics

1. This is how the crack appears from a particular angle from outside. Barely visible from other angles though.

2. This is how the crack appears from inside the car against a brighter background.

4. Is this a dead pedal for right foot? What is the use? Pattern imprinted on it looks similar to one on dead pedal on left side. Don't remember noticing them in my previous Marutis.
Sad to know this happening to a brand new car, really heartbreaking. Good to see you are happy thinking about not so negative points.

For the TSI, the insurance was coming out to be ~36k. Assuming for TDI elegance its 45k, next year it will be lower. A 20% NCB will not save you more than 9-10k (even lower as the NCB is calculated before applicable taxes, IMO). So claiming 15k from insurance should be fine. Though, it won't make sense to go for insurance claim if you haven't opted for 0 depreciation. Then you are better off getting the repair done your self and save on a few bucks this year and carry forward the NCB for the next year as well. (P.S. I may be wrong with the insurance premium, you may check that for exact calculations)

On the point no. 4, yes there is a dead pedal in Laura on the right side as well, though its of not much use while driving as there is no cruise control. Might be useful while waiting in traffic or on a signal.
Shreyas Aterkar is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 18:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
On second thoughts why not? Any idea how much I may lose as NCB? Also if I don't claim anything second year, there will be NCB 3rd year again? (I haven't claimed insurance till now on 2 of my previous cars over 1.2L Kms, so have no ideal how NCB works. Either I am stupid or I am incredibly careful driver ).
OK, NCB works like this.

1 claim free year - save 20% on next year's premium (only own damage part)
2 claim free years - 25% and so on .. max is 50%

So, if you dont make the claim this year, next year you will save around 8-9k. The year after that, you will save 25% on your premium (assume another 6-7k).

If you make the claim this year, you will not save anything next year. The year after that if you dont make the claim, you will save some 7-8K).

So in effect, you will save some 10-11k over 2 years if you make the claim this year (assuming no claims in the second year). As windshield's cost is much higher ~15k, i dont see why you should not claim it this year.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 19:30   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Oops… that’s sad for a brand new car. As ethanhunt123 mentioned, I guess it’s better to claim insurance. 15K odd is quite a bit indeed.

Anyway, on a lighter note, here is the reason for the windshield crack on a Skoda – as explained by Tom Ford during his time with Fifth Gear UK (tested on a Skoda Superb)

Last edited by vb-san : 13th September 2012 at 19:31. Reason: URL edited
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote