Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th September 2012, 23:16   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT

I am planning to claim insurance rightly as you guys have advised. But the service adviser has asked me to start the claim process once the replacement windshield is about to reach the dealership. Right thing to do?

In the meanwhile I found another thing which is unlike in my previous Marutis
If you stall the call somewhere in the middle of the road, in my previous Maruti, all the warning lights on the dashboard would come up and I just had to crank the engine by again turning the key one step further. Here if you stall, a battery symbol comes on, but turning the key further to start the engine does not work. You have to turn it back to "off" position and then again turn forward to start the engine. I have no idea whether it is mentioned anywhere in the user manual. But both the times I stalled (once on the day of delivery and again today - today was my fault knowing the car), I was looking stupid trying to turn the key further and start the engine. Today after making 3 attempts, I figured it out and there was some "Q" behind me waiting impatiently and some honking. Anybody who has Skodas and VWs, is it same with your cars too?

Cleaned the driver leather seat for first time with damp cloth with water and detergent, some brushing with old tooth brush and then wiping it off and then applying Mother's Leather conditioner. This does clean the leather and removes the blackish fine dirt occupying the crevices in the natural leather texture and make it it softer and supple. I hope I will be able to keep the schedule regularly so that seats remain clean and maintain same color and texture.

Last edited by dezrskb : 15th September 2012 at 23:23.
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 00:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb
If you stall the call somewhere in the middle of the road, in my previous Maruti, all the warning lights on the dashboard would come up and I just had to crank the engine by again turning the key one step further. Here if you stall, a battery symbol comes on, but turning the key further to start the engine does not work. You have to turn it back to "off" position and then again turn forward to start the engine. I have no idea whether it is mentioned anywhere in the user manual. But both the times I stalled (once on the day of delivery and again today - today was my fault knowing the car), I was looking stupid trying to turn the key further and start the engine.
Thats the crank protection at work here, both my Linea and Vento have it. This doesnt allow the starter to engage when the car has been started once so if you stall, you need to turn the key back and do it all over again.

Perfectly normal, nothing to worry.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 00:59   #48
BHPian

Congratulations Dezrskb on your new car

The car looks great, This color is one of my favourites in skodas after the silver.

Wish u luck for the car, drive safe
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 06:46   #49
BHPian

Congrats on the new car.

W.r.t. windshield, last time I got my car serviced, SA confirmed that there have been some issues due to which Laura windshields have been cracking and that the company is replacing these under warranty. He initially said he'll check the windshield on my car (cracked) for any such reason and replace it under the warranty but I told him that it's a pebble hit and not a defect.

Do get the windshield examined by the dealer for manufacturing defect, if any. Glass breaking due to a wiper is a but weird.

Last edited by bloodred : 16th September 2012 at 06:47.
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 10:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred
Congrats

Do get the windshield examined by the dealer for manufacturing defect, if any. Glass breaking due to a wiper is a but weird.
Thanks bloodred!

First tankful yesterday after the price hike. Overall the car seems to be extremely frugal on the fuel economy. After tankful and resetting all the meters and a 50km highway drive, mostly in 4th &5th gears and @ 80-110km/h,says its sipping fuel at 5L/100kms!! Too good to be true for a car of this size and engine capacity!!. I know it keeps varying with the speed and driving style from time to time. But my dzire consistently achieved above 17 for city and above 20 with mostly highway drives with 100%A/c on. Hence with not very aggressive driving style, probably I will achieve decent figures with this beast too.
Old 16th September 2012, 10:46   #51

Congrats on your new possession. The car looks ubercool in beige though my favorite and the one I had was in white. (she was tsi)
Pretty sure that you will enjoy the german build quality coupled with tremendous driving pleasure and superior handling.
I have testdriven both auto and manual ones and never felt that MT is underpowered.It is just good enough for our traffic conditions. The slick and precise gearbox will only add to it.
Wishing you happy and safe motoring.Will be monitoring this thread for long term reports.
sree83 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 19:22   #52
BHPian

Update on the windshield crack and other things.

It is extending upwards from the lower edge. That’s depressing. But what is good is it is extending slowly. Also involves only outer layer. I think the glass being laminated, only outer layer is involved at present.
Now it is 9 days since order for the Laura windshield was placed. The service at the dealership has no idea about the present status of the order. But they are positive that it would reach before 2 weeks from the date of placing the order. Now today being a national holiday and tomorrow being all India strike, 2 precious working days are gone.
At the same time I did not want to sit over it but contacted “Windshield experts” again. They said they could provide service at my door, 400kms away from their dealership at Bangalore. I was told I could get an imported windshield used for Chevrolet vehicles at 13.5K which includes windshield and installation charges, but I would be charged extra for providing service at my door (no idea what it will be yet, but they promised they would revert with complete details later). Now the date Skoda promised being just within a week, I think I will keep Skoda glass as first option and if Skoda is unable to help after another extra week / if windshield is about to fall apart, I will have to take the option of Windshield experts. But anybody has had the experience with them before? Also this idea of fitting a Chevrolet windshield to my Skoda Laura – will it fit perfectly? What about the warranty? Windshield experts customer care person sounded very confident that the glass would fit.
Also alternate bright hot sunlight and sudden rains are doing their bit to extend the crack I guess.
Now the car has run 600Kms and engine and gearshifts are getting smoother and smoother everyday. Its very comfortable to drive and every drive brings smiles.
Tires are holding air quite well. I have checked with Michelin digital tire pressure gauge every weekend since past 2 weeks but cold tire pressures are same. Ride quality is not very bad but will do. May be tires take their time to break-in.
A Garmin Nuvi LM50 and a friction mount purchased online and delivery awaited. Kagu mats are very neat, but I wished they covered bit more.
Old 19th September 2012, 19:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
fitting a Chevrolet windshield to my Skoda Laura – will it fit perfectly?

May be tires take their time to break-in.

A Garmin Nuvi LM50 and a friction mount purchased online and delivery awaited. Kagu mats are very neat, but I wished they covered bit more.
1. Chevy in a Skoda!! I would advice against this 'jugaad'. Go for a original replacement as your crack is quite big but doesn't seem like an emergency, so you can wait for its arrival. A minutest kink in my Superb's windshield from a flying pebble is almost unnoticeable and I have no intentions of changing it.
2. Tyres also do need 500kms to 1000kms to break in and give optimum grip.
3. Don't care too much for either. Galaxy S2 does job pretty well for any emergency navigation. 3D mats are a scam I would say, charging exorbitant amounts for something so simple as a foot mat. Could get them custom made in luxurious carpet at half the price here in Meerut, which I am planning to do soon for my Superb (pictures will be up on my thread as and when I proceed).
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:42   #54
BHPian

Now my front windshield is expected in another 2 days. I am glad that the crack didn't progress fast and windshield didn't fall apart which would have either made my car remain in workshop for many days till the replacement arrived / I would have opted for alternatives like windshield experts for the sake of time. The crack has vertically extended till half the height of windshield and stopped in spite of bright sunlight/ heat. Also because there is no sudden cooling as rains have stopped.
Now the vehicle is 800kms old, its already a pleasure to drive. Pull is awesome on highways and addictive. Gear shifts have become imperceptible. Notchiness of the clutch too is gone.
A/c is bit weak agreed. But not a deal breaker for me. Also none in my family like it too cold too helps.
I think there is a scope for improvement in the ORVM electric control. Three times I was in a situation where road was narrow, partially encroached by another vehicle parked one side and wanted to fold the OVRMs so that car could pass. The option of folding the mirror should have been right at the beginning or at second click, not the last.
Garmin Nuvi LM50 GPS deivce does the job quite well. As my windshield is to be replaced soon, I have attached the device to windshield itself with some soapy water. It seals the vacuum cup quite well and once it dries, is attached strong enough. By the time windshield is replaced, I should have my dashboard friction mount ready. One funny thing by the way. Even if you switch off the engine and remove the keys, the 12V charger outlet continues to charge the Garmin (or any other device plugged to it I guess). Isn't it a burden on your battery? For that matter, there are so many things which can drain batteries in this car. I think the boot release too is electronic right?. I also feel the front door panel red light on the inside should have been made to go off after 2-3 min to save battery.
First time I drove 60Kms on highway in night. Headlight feels adequate. High beams are not straight though, they have been made to focus bit to left. Is it purposeful? Even if it is not, I intend to leave it like that as it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic.
The suspension is on stiffer side. If anybody is has a combination of potholed roads around and soft ride as top priority, this car is not for them. But I am happy with this car!

Last edited by dezrskb : 23rd September 2012 at 12:53.
Old 28th September 2012, 22:52   #55
BHPian

Update to the windshield crack: Replaced !!

I could not guess that the cracked windshield of my Laura would get replaced so fast and unpredictably.
First of all, after a wait of 2 weeks, no calls from Tafe access, Mangalore. It appeared that I was the only person remembering that a cracked Laura windshield is waiting to be replaced (naturally ! I guess it would have been same with any dealer once you have purchased your car – their interest in you suddenly drops to undetectable levels and you may have to remind them that you had bought a car from them!). Here the service advisor was not answering phone calls and returned the missed calls randomly and occasionally. Other person in-charge finally called me on day 16 to say that my windshield had arrived! but- there is always this dreaded “but sir…it was damaged when we received it!”
“So what happens now?” I ask
“Sir, we will place another order”
“Then what happens?”
“Another glass comes from Aurangabad”
“When?” I knew the answer, but still I was optimistic
“Two weeks sir”
“Windshield glass has already extended upwards- may fall off?”
“Never sir! Its triple layered glass and will never fall off and no water will ever enter!!” –He was very positive – without ever seeing what sort or how big the crack was. He had to be as no glass would be available for another 2 weeks.
I asked him whether Bangalore Tafe access would have stocks. But he said that would be complicated and said something vaguely as to why he could not get it from there. That gave me a clue.
I was beginning to understand why some people felt so strongly about Skoda after sales service.
I wanted to tell him that it is because of their lack of foresight that they had failed to keep few Laura windshields in stock when they had sold many around here and Tafe access is the only dealer around for 400Kms. But telling so would start off an argument following which we would end up having bitter feelings and hurt egos and none would gain anything. So I let it go.
But I did enquire around. I called Tafe Access Bangalore. A service advisor by name Manjunath takes the phone – politely said they had stocks ready, could replace glass under insurance and deliver car in 24 hours. But going to Bangalore 430 kms away to replace a windshield? Idea didn’t sound attractive. So I decided to wait.
But in next 2 days I was asked to attend a conference in Bangalore! I thought why not?
To make a long story short, I stared from Udupi on 27th 4 am, reach Bangalore Tafe access service at Hosur road by 11am, attend the conference in afternoon, take the car delivery next day (28th- / today) at 1pm, drive and reach udupi at 9pm.
I had to pay 4K odd after insurance claim, glass bears all the original markings from skoda, service experience was very satisfactory, very professional and prompt in claiming the insurance, work was done to my satisfaction. I don’t know about others experiences with them, but I am happy and can recommend them.
It was a fantastic experience driving the car at 130km/h speed between Hasan and Bangalore and also in NICE Ring road. As of now road has sparse traffic, tolls bit expensive but to unleash Laura on them is a very satisfying experience. Car handled very well and has good power and smooth engine. All in all an excellent vehicle.
DRLs too turned on now. Garmin worked like a charm. Did lose track of highway for some distance between Hasan and Bangalore, but probably it was where the old NH 48 was and might not have been updated in the map.
Some more photos of my car (fog in Sakaleshpur)
Attached Thumbnails
Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-carfog.jpg  

Last edited by dezrskb : 28th September 2012 at 22:57.
dezrskb is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 18:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Update to the windshield crack: Replaced !!

I could not guess that the cracked windshield of my Laura would get replaced so fast and unpredictably..

..But I did enquire around. I called Tafe Access Bangalore. A service advisor by name Manjunath takes the phone – politely said they had stocks ready, could replace glass under insurance and deliver car in 24 hours...

...I had to pay 4K odd after insurance claim, glass bears all the original markings from skoda, service experience was very satisfactory, very professional and prompt in claiming the insurance, work was done to my satisfaction. I don’t know about others experiences with them, but I am happy and can recommend them.
Great that you got it fixed. As clearly illustrated here, be it Skoda or any brand it is the dealer & the service which creates or mars the reputation of the manufacturer. I guess Skoda should have a training & best practice sharing for all their dealers / A.S.S. agents which maybe would go a long way in changing their service levels
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 19:51   #57
BHPian

I agree with vkaul1. In spite of multiple horror stories of bad dealerships, one nice experience with a particular dealer makes us forget about old stories. But indeed it was the service adviser here who made such a pleasant difference. Well seeing how busy he was when I met him, later I wondered how he managed to take my call every single time I called him (in fact once I think it was after working hours), even though I had not bought vehicle from Bangalore Tafe access, was from 400kms away, and was unlikely to return again there unless something could not be fixed at Tafe access Mangalore. For him, just the broken front windshield was a "minor" problem that could be fixed without need for any delay. I could see by the shapes of some accident-met Skodas that those were more serious problems for him. I dont have any idea about how motivated are the other service advisers there, but luckily the one I ended up with turned out to be good!!

I am attaching the scanned copy of the invoice for replacing my front windshield for the benefit of other Laura owners so that they can have a general idea regarding the cost of the parts.
Also attaching a photo of the new windshield and complimentary item I received from the Skoda service - the windshield wash concentrate.

Also I have received my vehicle registration number and smart card.

Now I am looking forward to have a nice number plate. My Dzire had those high security metal embossed number plates with "IND" and the chakra hologram etc. But my concern is - where the front number plate sits, the front bumper has a curved contour. So how will a metal plate fit well there? Also an edge of my Dzire number plate was bit bent and re-straightening it by hand could not give its original look back. So I am planning to have a regular (no fancy fonts) plastic / fibre number plate which the dealer has promised me with regular fonts. Seeing how it looks and fits, planning to order those high security plates later (its not compulsory here anyway to have the high security plates).

Guys, give an idea what would look good on my Laura. I need only those legal fonts and not the fancy ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-laura-windshield-bill.jpg  

Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-windshield-after-replacement1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by dezrskb : 1st October 2012 at 20:08.
Old 1st October 2012, 19:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

The embossed plates look better without any doubt.
My swift has the same plates for 2.5yrs now. No issues with curved surface, the plates will be bent slightly on swift. No such issues with curved surface.

Last edited by F150 : 1st October 2012 at 20:19.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:38   #59
BHPian

I have ordered embossed aluminum number plate with silver / chrome lined numbers (not with the "IND" / chakra hologram but the fonts are more rounded and look better and more sophisticated with silver/ chrome bordering of the embossed digits). Will get it in 2 days and will post some photos once I get it.
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:00   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have ordered embossed aluminum number plate with silver / chrome lined numbers (not with the "IND" / chakra hologram but the fonts are more rounded and look better and more sophisticated with silver/ chrome bordering of the embossed digits). Will get it in 2 days and will post some photos once I get it.
I've seen that. Looks a bit tacky IMO. Try and get normal embossed IND plates instead, see my thread to see how they look on a Laura.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote