Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd October 2012, 22:29   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Frank what is the average time taken to fill up CNG in the car. ?

thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:36   #167
Senior - BHPian

After this conversation about tyre air pressure, I decided to do a five minute exercise. I drove to a nearby pump slowly (so tyres don't heat up much) and told the guy to do 28 psi all around.
Left for my regular pump within 800 m radius and in the distance I did, it didn't feel like 28 psi.
Again asked for 28 psi. Was shocked to see that it was 31 in all tyres except for the right rear which was showing 32.
I hate it when pumps don't calibrate their air pressure systems correctly. Corrected this at my regular pump and drove back home. Was happy with the ride.
I feel 28 is the sweet spot this time around too. Might experiment with 29 at the max. I know I sound like a dork but I am extremely particular about this as roads in town are just going from bad to worse.

@sumeet: 2-3 minutes. Quicker than filling a full tank of Petrol.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:33   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Another update.

Dropped the Xenons. I was losing sleep over that one incident where the opposing Civic with Xenons blinded me. I decided to follow my mind rather than my heart and went to Opera House and got a Bosch relay kit for the low beam, alongwith Trifa Rallye 80w Halogen bulbs (as opposed to the stock Sylvania bulbs)
http://www.trifa.de/cms/front_conten...idcat=7&id=173

I might not get as much light as the Xenons (Though, the person who I bought them from, said they will function MUCH better in the stock housing than HIDs and he knows a thing or two about auto lighting) but I can sleep peacefully thinking I won't be blinding opposing traffic or causing peril to oncoming drivers.
Good decision. If you read post #30 in your thread, I had suggested to not install HID bulbs in reflectors.
Also note 90/100 or higher can damage the reflectors (the chrome starts peeling off) and the headlight assy outer plastic can also start deteriorating due to the heat.
Not recommended in case you have plans to do lot of night driving.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:00   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

@frankmehta; With due apologies to the ladies the pump gauges are as reliable as a women's intuition.

Get yourself a pressure gauge, I hear Michelin also makes and excellent digital gauge.

Better still get yourself a lighter powered compressor, and pump the tyres up at home. Cold tyres, no excess moisture. I have been pumping up my tyres since 1974, first with a foot pump, then since 1991 with an electric one. Also, like me when you have a flat the spare is invariably grossly under inflated.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:40   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Good decision. If you read post #30 in your thread, I had suggested to not install HID bulbs in reflectors.
Also note 90/100 or higher can damage the reflectors (the chrome starts peeling off) and the headlight assy outer plastic can also start deteriorating due to the heat.
Not recommended in case you have plans to do lot of night driving.
Thanks, but those bulbs are not helping. Pathetic road lighting with the stock halogens and below average lighting with the new bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@frankmehta; With due apologies to the ladies the pump gauges are as reliable as a women's intuition.

Get yourself a pressure gauge, I hear Michelin also makes and excellent digital gauge.

Better still get yourself a lighter powered compressor, and pump the tyres up at home. Cold tyres, no excess moisture. I have been pumping up my tyres since 1974, first with a foot pump, then since 1991 with an electric one. Also, like me when you have a flat the spare is invariably grossly under inflated.
Haaha. Thanks. I think I am going to do that only. Will order an electronic pump from eBay soon. And will also inquire with a Michelin dealer how much a Digital one costs.
Old 25th October 2012, 18:08   #171
Senior - BHPian

The new tyres are really making a huge difference. The ride is soft, pliant and there's loads of grip. I daresay, they do 90% of what the Michelin Pilot Preceda did in the Fiesta and are much more comfortable than them. I am impressed by the softness of the ride, but I still need to sort out the rattles.

I am going to Swadi Automobiles tomorrow to get my headlights 'aimed' correctly. This is probably the only fault of the Civic that is not getting rectified.

This week, the car has done over 500 km, all on the new tyres and the average mileage has been steady. I have filled 38 kgs. of CNG which amounts to Rs. 1257. Which again brings the running costs in the ballpark of Rs. 2.5 a km. Not bad in city driving with traffic and a few bursts of ripping the car (to 6000 rpm)
Old 25th October 2012, 18:32   #172
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
...Lo and behold, the Michelin Primacy MXV4!!! ...
Congrats on the tyre upgrade , frankmehta!

But, I just noticed that the speed rating of the tyres is mentioned as H (210kmph) and not V (240kmph). Though, technically, it is above the max speed that the Civic can touch (and therefore, safe), please remember that the 'safety buffer' is reduced.

I hope the tyre experts can comment on this, considering the Indian operating (road + temperature) conditions.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 20:16   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The previous owner had changed the cooling coil recently but it wasn't an original one and my trusted AC guy told me that it's in the best interest of the car and the system, to change the cooling coil.
The sad part was that the built in thermostat was also acting up. So we replaced the cooling coil with a Keihin (Made in Japan), added a new thermostat
Hmmm...why did the coil/thermostat fail at all?
This is a Honda, it should just go on and on and on....

Was there some accident in the past or something like that?

Quote:
I can sleep peacefully thinking I won't be blinding opposing traffic or causing peril to oncoming drivers.
Wow.
This is so good to know. Kudos.

Majority of our countrymen have no regard for other fellow drivers on the road. They apply dark film on the windshield and then to overcome it, they switch to higher wattage bulbs/xenons - that too when their headlamp housing is not meant for xenons.

And from what I have seen, xenons spread badly if installed in the headlamp housings that were not designed for them. I have always been impressed with OEM ones on the Superb/vRS, Mercs, et al that are so well designed they do not cause a bother to the oncoming traffic. Some things are best left to the factory.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 23:47   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Congrats on the tyre upgrade , frankmehta!

But, I just noticed that the speed rating of the tyres is mentioned as H (210kmph) and not V (240kmph). Though, technically, it is above the max speed that the Civic can touch (and therefore, safe), please remember that the 'safety buffer' is reduced.

I hope the tyre experts can comment on this, considering the Indian operating (road + temperature) conditions.
The rating itself includes a buffer. The tyres are not going to explode the moment you take them to 211 kph. Failure will happen quite a bit later.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 09:08   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I will not bother. Remember the tyres also have some buffer in the ratings!
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 14:56   #176
Senior - BHPian

Another update:
Got the front brake pads changed and the discs skimmed at a lathe yesterday.
The braking was good before, but my mechanic had a look at the discs and said that there was some life left in the pads but lines were forming on the discs due to some metallic object, probably. So we got the discs skimmed and I went and picked up a set of front brake pads.
http://roulunds-braking.eu/

ANOTHER REVELATION for all Honda Civic owners guys.
FRONT BRAKE PADS FOR Rs. 1150 ONLY!! Roulunds Braking is a European company with manufacturing facilities in North India (Haryana)
The packing was very good and the brake pads looked nice, heavy and solid.
I bought a set and my mechanic installed them.
BELIEVE ME, the braking performance has been upped in a large way. I never thought I needed better braking than what I previously had, but these pads and the newly skimmed discs are doing a fabulous job at bleeding speed. Bite has gone up like crazy and my pedal feel and travel have also improved tremendously. I can actually stomp on the pedal and expect instantaneous response.

I am now definitely going in for the Roulunds rear Brake pads which cost only Rs. 700 for the set.
The dealer who I purchased these pads from says Nissin pads in the market are 80% fakes, and rebadged Delhi products being sold to unsuspecting buyers. Why spend 6.5 k on brake pads when you can get a set that costs 1/6th of that?? Since they are so cheap, you have the luxury of changing them at shorter intervals (maybe half of original pads) and STILL save over half over the original ones, AND having the luxury of replacing pads early and getting the original bite back.

As I said, WIN-WIN. This one is another win-win situation guys.

Last edited by frankmehta : 27th October 2012 at 15:00.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 15:33   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Hi Prof,

Some time back I saw a photo of your pump on of the threads. Now I can not locate it.

Can you pl point me to it.

I want to buy a similar piece.

P.S - What do you think of this one?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/COIDO-3301-12...item2a1b01f721

Last edited by skdking : 27th October 2012 at 15:37.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 12:17   #178
Senior - BHPian

skdking, as far as I was informed by sgitk, stay away from these Coido products. Go choose one from your neighbourhood accessories dealer.

Update:
Couldn't get the headlight job done since I was busy with other commitments, but I did manage to drive the car for 300 km over the last 3 days, and MAN, those brakes bite. The day I took delivery of the car from the mechanic, the pads bit well but after 100 km of driving this baby bleeds serious speeds in a jiffy. I feel that, even if these Rs. 1150 brake pads for the front and Rs. 700 brake pads for the rear last for 15000 km (at the max) I will be happy to go in for new ones. They are not expensive at all, like the original ones and I am not willing to spend so much extra on brake pads that basically do the same job (though it's for all of us to see how long these pads do their job satisfactorily) and I would rather choose these pads that can be easily replaced rather than stick with a set of brake pads for 40000 km or more.

As for the car, she is just floating gracefully these days. Engine is in the peak of it's condition, AC doing a stellar job in the October heat, tyres doing a great job (though I noticed they do start talking rather loudly when they are on paver blocks, which is the favourite type of road 'repair' for our corrupt politicians), brakes performing well and best part is the mileage in the last 300 km.

I did 150 km and filled Rs. 280 of CNG the day before,
and 160 km yesterday and filled Rs. 300 of CNG again.

The savings MADNESS continuous...
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 15:15   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Can you pl point me to it.

I want to buy a similar piece.

P.S - What do you think of this one?
I never posted any pics. Also, found Coido (cheaper one) pretty lousy, so switch so you have to plug it in and out and doubt whether the fellow will ever hit the rated 300 psi (God knows what for), my guess is more like 80-100psi. I will look in the local mandi as I have done in the past!
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 12:33   #180
Senior - BHPian

Guys, this is what I mean by 'headlight troubles.'
The headlight focusing is off, and by a large margin. Both headlights are focused towards the left side and hence when I take blind turns to the left, the right side is not illuminated at all, which is a very unsafe thing. I went to the place that levels headlights with a machine, but their machine has gone kaput and I now have no one to do it for me professionally!
Well, I went and found out that DEPO headlights for the Civic are available at Rs. 3500 a piece, and if this issue is not sorted soon, I drop the gauntlet and get a new pair of headlights.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-20121030-12.08.58.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-20121030-12.09.03.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-20121030-12.09.15.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-20121030-12.09.30.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-20121030-12.09.50.jpg