Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th November 2012, 12:59   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Sakura is the original Honda replacement.
other might be the Purolator but didn find it good.

In my car the Air filter paper element strarted braking up within 5k kms luckily spotted it in time and replaced it.
It would had created a HAVOC if it would had entered the engine.
Oh, I thought Sakura is a generic brand, but turns out, it's Honda's OEM supplier for filters world over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Frank, why not get a k&n stock replacement filter?
Hi Vikram, thanks for the opinion. I have two reasons why I don't want to go in for the K&N.

1. CNG performs optimally ONLY when there is a clean air filter in the air box. It is more sensitive to this than Petrol and relies on air in a large manner. Hence, if I am getting a K&N, I will have to clean the filter regularly, and as I have heard, it's a pain to clean. I would like the option to replace a filter every 5k km so I have peace of mind.

2. My CNG installer has CLEARLY told me their cars are facing issues with a Mushroom/Conical filter, since he says the CNG ECM is calibrated to work only the stock airbox and that too, any changes in airflow (more or less) could be detrimental to the performance. This is one thing even I have noticed in my fiancee's Verna. Even a little bit of dirt on the air filter and her car starts driving poorly. A couple of years ago, I tried driving her CNG Accent without the air filter (closed airbox) as an experiment, and realized that the engine was breathing slightly better but going off at signals. So basically, CNG is like a fickle minder woman who doesn't like change.

I am sticking to the Sakura and replacing it every 5k km. I feel it's in the best interest. I am very happy with the way she's driving right now and I don't want an increase in performance, honestly. Who knows, it might take a turn for the worse after upgrading some components, and then might be irreversible. What ain't broke, doesn't need fixing!!!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 13:14   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
1. CNG performs optimally ONLY when there is a clean air filter in the air box. It is more sensitive to this than Petrol and relies on air in a large manner. Hence, if I am getting a K&N, I will have to clean the filter regularly, and as I have heard, it's a pain to clean. I would like the option to replace a filter every 5k km so I have peace of mind.
Don't know if you are a DIY kind of guy but it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to wash. Drying takes about an hour in the shade and oiling takes 5 minutes max.

All this is if you have the cleaning kit handy. I do it regularly every 10k kms on a Sunday.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 23:57   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Don't know if you are a DIY kind of guy but it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to wash. Drying takes about an hour in the shade and oiling takes 5 minutes max.

All this is if you have the cleaning kit handy. I do it regularly every 10k kms on a Sunday.

replacement of Stock Airfilter in civic takes less than 3mins.
And if performance filters have to be put then they should be CAI or Conicals as stock replacement most of the times give only growl and the air flow and performance is more or less same.

It doesnt justify its cost.

For eg.
A Sakura air filter for civic is 325rs
and the stock replacement for civic in Mumbai is around 4.5-5k ish
Although K&N is one time replacement but still a new filter every 5k is a new filter.Period.

No offence ment
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 11:45   #199
Senior - BHPian

Had a small tiff with a metal shard at the mall while parking, the other day. There was a part of metal jutting out from the damn wall which was near invisible and the parking sensors kept asking me to go. I was reversing slowly until I heard a noise which punctured my boot and some of my 'new car excitement'
Here's some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121109_163746-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121109_163859-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121109_163917-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121109_235849-hdtv-1080.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 11:55   #200
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Ouch.

Thats some serious dent, Frank. I guess this means a visit to either FNG or Honda workshop. Looks like a pair of nails jutting out of the wall did the damage.

Which mall BTW are you referring to? & did you alert the mall officials lest someone else has the same issue.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:30   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a small tiff with a metal shard at the mall while parking, the other day. There was a part of metal jutting out from the damn wall which was near invisible
Hello Frank,

It feels really bad to see a dent on your beautiful Car. I believe the entire part (boot cover) will have to be re-painted after removing the dent.

To the best of my knowledge, the local garages do the good job in removing & repaintaing small dents like this one. This can be done in Rs. 1000 / Rs. 1500, which the authorized service stations will charge a bomb for this & you will also lose no-claim bonus on your insurance policy.

Also hope you have brought this metal shard to mall management's notice.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:55   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Ouch.

Thats some serious dent, Frank. I guess this means a visit to either FNG or Honda workshop. Looks like a pair of nails jutting out of the wall did the damage.

Which mall BTW are you referring to? & did you alert the mall officials lest someone else has the same issue.
I am not visiting Honda for sure. My P&D workshop guy might might just be able to fix this. I gotta fix a little rust in the bootlid anyway.
This is in Phoenix Mills and there is a metal projection sticking out from the wall every 5 meters. It's a structural thing, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Frank,

It feels really bad to see a dent on your beautiful Car. I believe the entire part (boot cover) will have to be re-painted after removing the dent.

To the best of my knowledge, the local garages do the good job in removing & repaintaing small dents like this one. This can be done in Rs. 1000 / Rs. 1500, which the authorized service stations will charge a bomb for this & you will also lose no-claim bonus on your insurance policy.

Also hope you have brought this metal shard to mall management's notice.

Thanks,
I know. Sucks to see it every time I get into the car
My paint guy should be able to do it.
Thanks for the concern.

Guys, I have found these three exciting links about how the Honda Civic R18a Engine VTEC works. Worth a read. Also, watch the video in the first link. Quite informative and fun!!!!

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2005-4050705a/

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 00:19   #203
BHPian

Satyam, can you let me know the key maker from where you got this key made. I would like to keep it in my reference book for future.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I got a key made for my civic last month here in delhi.
I paid 4.5k for the whole process.
He took about half an hour to 45 mins for the job.
The guys seemed really professional and friendly.
They gave me a key which looked exactly like the original key,No prints no sticker.
Vivek5870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 01:01   #204
BHPian

Sameer, can you please let me know from where you got the kit installed. Is it a sequential kit or a closed loop kit and what has been your experience so far? Are there teething problems that keep arising every now and then?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
In my CNG'ed car, RPM is same as on petrol and on CNG. My car is around 3k rpm on 120 and it's same on CNG.

No changes whatsoever on CNG

Cheers,
Sameer
Vivek5870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 12:21   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
In my CNG'ed car, RPM is same as on petrol and on CNG. My car is around 3k rpm on 120 and it's same on CNG.

No changes whatsoever on CNG

Cheers,
Sameer
Is yours an Auto or Manual. Manual and Auto will have different gear ratios. The 5th gear being tall on the Civic AT, the rpm at which 120 is attained is lower than that of the Manual.

Most posts suggest that Petrol or CNG will not alter the rpm at which speeds are attained.

But why should a Sequential fitted CNG kit car that makes slight lower power in the range of 5-10 % + added weight of nearly close 80-100 kgs do the same speed at same rpm. Shouldn't the rpm be higher in CNG for the same speeds in same gear done in petrol.

Note:CNG sequential kit making lower power is assumed taken factory Wagon CNG as benchmark as that is the only officially available CNG power number.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 18:49   #206
BHPian

Frank you need parking sensors or camera in your car!

And infact civic needs parking sensors badly any civic for that matter.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 23:06   #207
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Sameer, can you please let me know from where you got the kit installed. Is it a sequential kit or a closed loop kit and what has been your experience so far? Are there teething problems that keep arising every now and then?

Thanks
I got the kit installed from CNG experts, Moti nagar. The kit is closed loop one.

My experience till date has been pretty good, except for some issues, The car is doing good. I did convert 2 years back, Apart from some niggles, The car is doing pretty good.

There are few problems, But nothing such, which will bother you alot, For instance, I replace Air filter and Spark plugs, More frequently now.

I have to change ignition coil too, few days back, had problem with pickup a year back, with AC, Changed advancer, Now it's back to normal.

I will reccomend CNG to you only, when you've a petrol car and your running is high, If you're buying new, You better off buying a new diesel cars.

Standing in lines is not easy and becomes cubersome at times, I spent anywhere around 15-20 mins for every fill, It's been high as 30 mins quite a few times, So living with a diesel car is far more easy, Compared to one on CNG.

BTW i drive an Accent with CNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Is yours an Auto or Manual. Manual and Auto will have different gear ratios. The 5th gear being tall on the Civic AT, the rpm at which 120 is attained is lower than that of the Manual.

Most posts suggest that Petrol or CNG will not alter the rpm at which speeds are attained.

But why should a Sequential fitted CNG kit car that makes slight lower power in the range of 5-10 % + added weight of nearly close 80-100 kgs do the same speed at same rpm. Shouldn't the rpm be higher in CNG for the same speeds in same gear done in petrol.

Note:CNG sequential kit making lower power is assumed taken factory Wagon CNG as benchmark as that is the only officially available CNG power number.
I don't drive a CIVIC, Mine is Accent, Converted to a closed loop kit 2 years back

I don't know much about this, but in my car RPM is same at say 120, in petrol and CNG.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 00:37   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have found these three exciting links about how the Honda Civic R18a Engine VTEC works. Worth a read. Also, watch the video in the first link. Quite informative and fun!!!!

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2005-4050705a/

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html
Excellent articles. I never knew 1.8 could work like a 2.0 & a 1.5 just due to iVTEC. I wonder what fuel economy mode in CNG would do, push back air-gas mixture back into intake manifold? That'd suck FE rather than increase it cos gas would just dissipate, unlike heavier & mist-like air fuel mixture that's available for the next intake cycle. Hmmmmm. I think it's better for you to always drive your Civic auto aggressively only, when on CNG.

Frank, does the triptronic paddle shifter work well with CNG? Have you tried a 0-100 kmph on CNG? I mean good response at 4k-5.5k rpms as well as at 1k rpm?
spinfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:46   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Frank you need parking sensors or camera in your car!

And infact civic needs parking sensors badly any civic for that matter.
I have sensors dude. Only trouble is, this damn thing was jutting out from a wall 2.5 meters away :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
Excellent articles. I never knew 1.8 could work like a 2.0 & a 1.5 just due to iVTEC. I wonder what fuel economy mode in CNG would do, push back air-gas mixture back into intake manifold? That'd suck FE rather than increase it cos gas would just dissipate, unlike heavier & mist-like air fuel mixture that's available for the next intake cycle. Hmmmmm. I think it's better for you to always drive your Civic auto aggressively only, when on CNG.

Frank, does the triptronic paddle shifter work well with CNG? Have you tried a 0-100 kmph on CNG? I mean good response at 4k-5.5k rpms as well as at 1k rpm?
Kickass article!!! And yes, the shifter works damn well with CNG. Just used it yesterday with Dad in the passenger seat and I dare say we spun our wheels in 1st and 2nd (it's not a joke)
And, yes, probably will go through this article again tonight. Will help me drive the car optimally. Read it only once.

Very good response at 1.5 k RPM, none at 1000 in 3rd. So you need to stomp your foot down for it to downshift to 2nd at 4500 and then WHOOOOSH.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 19:24   #210
BHPian

how can you do wheelspin in a civic auto which has a poor low end ?
Unless you hold onto the brake rev it till 3k and just dumb the brakes, and damaging the tranny.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote