Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th April 2013, 13:48   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Frank, let me start with congratulating you on your wedding. Wish you guys a great life ahead.

I had been following your thread. The whole idea of buying a used Honda civic and converting it into CNG sounds so tempting. In fact, I may actually follow your precedent when I am in the market for my wife's car.

Look forward to more of your experiences with Civic on the thread.
Thank you for your wishes :-)
And yes, I would ratify this step that you are planning to take. It's a sureshot way to save money and have a comfortable car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Congrats on your wedding Frank. Best wishes to both of you.

With the really hot temperature in Mumbai and we're only in March, I'm actually a bit concerned about the heat in the engine bay when running the car on CNG. I'm looking to find a way to improve engine bay cooling, have you done anything or planning to do anything on those lines?

Thanks Gomzi. I have always thought of the cooling part, but then again I am using original Honda coolant that is doing a decent job as of now. The car is parked in sweltering temperatures every day and driving off within a few seconds of starting the car doesn't seem to bother the engine. Once you pick up speed, the wind cools the engine down anyway. In traffic, the ac is on all the time, which in turn spins the radiator fan whenever required. Other than that, I haven't bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
Congratulations for your marriage, wishing you a blissful life ahead.

I plan to buy a pre-owned Civic in the next 2-3 months. I have done much research on the pros and cons of owning and driving a Civic in India to the point that I am now confused whether to go for a Manual or an Automatic transmission. I request bhpians inputs on helping me decide.

Points in favour of an automatic transmission:

1. An AT will be a boon in city traffic and also the difference in fuel economy between the AT and MT is not substantial for a Civic.
2. My wife can drive the AT even though she is not comfortable about the idea of handling a 'big car' in city.
3. Pre-owned ATs tend to be cheaper as compared to MTs with same mileage and year of manufacture.

Points in favour of a manual transmission:

1. The way cars are meant be driven (not in city though)
2. In my opinion easier and cheaper to maintain and repair as compared to an AT
3. Probably less abused than an AT due to transmission fluid not being replace,flushed or topped up at the correct time.

I do plan to install the CNG kit and am clueless about its performance on AT vs MT.

Requesting bhpians inputs on helping me decide.
It's all about priority. If there's a lot of traffic around where you live then AT or else, for all other regions, MT.

There's a new development guys. Some new decisions have been taken and I have taken up the post of a lecturer in a Dental college in Navi Mumbai.
Driving from home to Navi Mumbai is a good 40 km one way and with all the other work, the car does 80-100 km daily. I get to drive her, finally Wife is now a passenger and I am enjoying the car daily.

She seems to speak a totally different language on the highway, with the engine spinning at a lazy 1800 rpm in top gear with speeds of 100-110 kmph being the constant for 20-30% of the journey. The roads are not great, but the Michelins are doing a good job. Noise is present in an obtrusive way, but with the volume of the music up, the windows rolled up and the FANTASTIC ac doing a great job at keeping us ensconced in comfort, tyre noise is the last of our issues.

The CNG part of the engine is doing flawlessly and giving some absurd (in a good way) fuel effiency figures, as expected and I am going in for an oil change after a couple of thousand km. The car is a pleasure to drive and commuting to and from work have become my favourite times of the day.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 02:34   #332
BHPian

Congrats on the wedding Frank, glad to hear the car's been doing well on your end. Just had my own lightweight cylinder fitted a week or so ago, and will be getting the plate from the RTO soon I trust.

Facing a few issues that I am not sure are related to the CNG kit or not so figured I would ask you since you're the go to person :-p
1. The engine and the boot are considerably hotter now than they used to be so much so that when I get out of the car in the night, I can feel the heat radiating from above the rear tyres, not sure if this is CNG Related
2. The interior of the car, the storage areas where I keep the loose change and what not, seems to heat up too as does the front of the car where the audio controls are.

Will be going to Arya Honda tommorow for a full service to see if there is anything wrong in the vehicle, but was wondering if this was standard for CNG kitting or if this is something I am just noticing now. (PS I dont use the A/c usually preferring to keep the windows open and breathe in the smog laden mumbai air)
Much obliged in advance.
Anghammarad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 18:34   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
Congrats on the wedding Frank, glad to hear the car's been doing well on your end. Just had my own lightweight cylinder fitted a week or so ago, and will be getting the plate from the RTO soon I trust.

Facing a few issues that I am not sure are related to the CNG kit or not so figured I would ask you since you're the go to person :-p
1. The engine and the boot are considerably hotter now than they used to be so much so that when I get out of the car in the night, I can feel the heat radiating from above the rear tyres, not sure if this is CNG Related
2. The interior of the car, the storage areas where I keep the loose change and what not, seems to heat up too as does the front of the car where the audio controls are.

Will be going to Arya Honda tommorow for a full service to see if there is anything wrong in the vehicle, but was wondering if this was standard for CNG kitting or if this is something I am just noticing now. (PS I dont use the A/c usually preferring to keep the windows open and breathe in the smog laden mumbai air)
Much obliged in advance.
I think my boot heats up over a 2 hour drive due to the no. of Amplifiers inside. The tank itself doesn't heat up. The car does radiate quite a bit of heat from the bonnet when parked after a long drive, but I think that shouldn't be a very big issue if you use the specified coolant and top it up regularly. Also, keep changing your oil every 7-10 k km for best results.
I think your interiors are heating up as one of the seals (rubber) isolating the cabin from the engine bay might have come off or become loose. You might hear more sound from the engine bay because of that reason too. I don't have a problem of the interiors heating up.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 21:26   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post

After a long drive, the wheels, tyres, brakes heat up, are you sure that's not the heat you are experiencing?
I've got a cng kit in my civic at too and have never experienced the rear of the car heating up.
The audio console does get mildly warm, but I was told on the civic maintenance thread that's normal. Storage areas don't get heated up though so better get it checked out.

@frankmehta, I recently changed engine oil to castrol 10W-40 and also got the condenser and radiator thoroughly cleaned. The car is running much smoother and cooler on cng even in heavy stop-go traffic, I don't get waves of heat coming at me when opening the bonnet after a drive any longer :-)

Last edited by gomzi : 12th April 2013 at 21:29.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 20:57   #335
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I shall now switch to the idemitsu honda fully synthetic Oil now that I'm running a lot of km a day in stressful heat and strenuous conditions and since the recommended oil is actually synthetic, I'm now going to run the Honda blend.

Next service, the car will get a new set of engine mounts and some good new oil.

I've also installed a new set of horns in place of the original. The original horns are great, no doubt. But i need something loud and cacophonous on the highway to trouble trucks and errant buses hence I got the Hella red grill twin tones installed.
So, the first time I honked on having them installed, I was totally disappointed. That were sounding muffled and muted. Drove off in a sad mood but as soon as I hit the highway, I felt the intensity of the horn increasing with every honk. Ten minutes down the line, I was amazed at the damn way the horn had opened up. People were moving out of the way and suddenly my drooping face became a huge wide smile. This damn thing is loud. All said and done, great investment. Highly recommended.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130413_205649.png
Views: 3204
Size:  446.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130413_205701.png
Views: 3176
Size:  453.5 KB
Old 13th April 2013, 22:32   #336
BHPian

Did you add relay to the new horn ? if not then add a Bosch Relay which should be made in germany only. If you dont get it let me know i have many lying with me at my home.

You will experience even better sound tone of the horn with relay and also the load on your combination switch will reduce. Civics combi switches are v v notorious for failing.

And
Since your car is CNG dont use Honda 0w-30 idemitsu synthetic its very very thin for our conditions. Been there done that hence saying.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 12:13   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Did you add relay to the new horn ? if not then add a Bosch Relay which should be made in germany only. If you dont get it let me know i have many lying with me at my home.

You will experience even better sound tone of the horn with relay and also the load on your combination switch will reduce. Civics combi switches are v v notorious for failing.

And
Since your car is CNG dont use Honda 0w-30 idemitsu synthetic its very very thin for our conditions. Been there done that hence saying.
Thanks jatin. I think it uses the stock relay in the Honda Civic. I don't mind adding one soon.
As for the oil, then which one do you recommend, since a lot of heat is generated when running on cng.
Old 14th April 2013, 16:57   #338
BHPian

go for 5w-40 fully synthetic
or 10w-40 semi synthetic
i would advice you the former, in that grade you will get Shell Helix ultra and Mobil and may be Petronas if you can find it.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 09:23   #339
Senior - BHPian

Any particular brands you'll would recommend?? I would rather go in for a Semi Synthetic grade, since I travel almost 100 km daily, which would mean an expensive oil change every 4 months.
Any semi synthetic oil that is recommended for CNG engines?? What would be the best grade that would maintain high viscosity under higher temperatures since oxidation of CNG gases is at a much higher temperature than even Diesel engines??
Old 15th April 2013, 11:20   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Any particular brands you'll would recommend?? I would rather go in for a Semi Synthetic grade, since I travel almost 100 km daily, which would mean an expensive oil change every 4 months.
Any semi synthetic oil that is recommended for CNG engines?? What would be the best grade that would maintain high viscosity under higher temperatures since oxidation of CNG gases is at a much higher temperature than even Diesel engines??
Hi Frank, these were the exact questions going thru my mind before I did the oil change. There are some CNG engine oils in the market e.g. castrol gtx cng, but they are generally too high viscosity 20w-50 at start up and I wasn't comfortable with that.
I ended up finding Castrol Magnatec semi synth 10W-40 which castrol specifically claims is good for petrol and lpg/cng powered engines. I didn't find any non-castrol literature for or against this claim.
Since the viscosity sounded correct and based in castrols claims for this oil being tested for gas powered engines, I went with it. Also I read somewhere that at high temps difference between a 40 and 50 grade oil is negligible (will try to post link to that article).
Other than this oil I didn't find any other cng recommended oil in a grade other than 20W-50 which I feel is too thick at start up even for our hot conditions.
Do let me know incase you do come to a different conclusion as even I'm pretty new to this and learning something new every day.

Last edited by gomzi : 15th April 2013 at 11:21.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 12:05   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Also I read somewhere that at high temps difference between a 40 and 50 grade oil is negligible (will try to post link to that article).
Here's the link to the pretty in-depth series of articles on engine oil viscosity. Unfortunately, there no comments section to discuss or debate on this.
http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 16:56   #342
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gomzi. I actually went ahead and changed the oil today. The earlier oil was just 9000 km old but it is worth seeing what it turned into, within 4 months.
I was running Petronas Semi Synth till today. Drained it with Abro Engine Oil flush and bought 4 litres of Castrol Edge. New original Honda oil and air filters were put today too.
The car is driving much much more silently and somehow it doesn't sound very laboured when pulling to higher RPMs.
As usual, she is a pleasure to drive. With fully synthetic oil and new filters, the engine is purring away. Lovely experience driving her so much, daily!
Old 15th April 2013, 20:43   #343
BHPian

Sorry for late reply,
Semi-Synthetic for CNG engines you can go for mobil 15w-40 which specifically designed for CNG opreations.

Under CNG you used the semi synth for 9000 kms ?
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 21:28   #344
Senior - BHPian

I got Castrol edge buddy. Really big difference. Here's how the old oil looked when we drained it out.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130415_212651.png
Views: 3038
Size:  439.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130415_212751.png
Views: 2961
Size:  429.9 KB
Old 15th April 2013, 23:11   #345
BHPian

You know i really wanna come and chock you for using a semi synth on a CNG for such a long time ?
Dont Play with Oil changer intervals in R18 they are prone for VTEC solenoids getting stuck or non-opreational.

Under CNG change your oil every 6-7k kms and change with synthetic only.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote