Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 19:27   #391
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Will not cost much. But a piece of advice. Your rpm is also not stable. So its best to wheel your car in to Honda and just get the throttle body cleaned. They will also attach the Honda diagnostic system to the ecu and reset it. Your jumping rpm issue will disappear along with it. But remember. It should be done after the throttle body cleaning and not before it..
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 15:04   #392
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 324
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Hello Guys,

Context: Have a 2008 SMT, Current running 500-600 kms per month. Planning to move closer to office which will be driving distance for me (about 60 kms per day). I was considering two options,
1. Buying a Diesel Hatch / Amaze / Dzire (by trading Civic)
2. CNGing the Civic

Is there anyone on this forum who has installed a CNG kit on a Manual Civic, if yes please help me with the following queries

1. What type of kit?
2. What price?
3. What is the mileage per KG on CNG? (Mumbai City Traffic)
4. CNG availability / waiting time at pumps in Mumbai? (Thane / Powai Area)
5. Any breakeven calculation based on answers to above questions?
6. Impact on GC (I plan to install Coil Spring Adjusters anyways)

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by 2000rpm : 7th October 2013 at 15:06.
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 00:35   #393
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The kit in question is a Lovato SGIS Kit with an upgraded 70 ltr tank, but made of a new compound that reduces the weight of the tank by 15 kgs!!!!!
I had to pay about 4 k extra for that cylinder but I think it's for peace of mind. Lighter, stronger tank with more gas storage. Win-win!
Is there a different version of the kit for manuals & ATs or can the same kit be fitted on both?

Last edited by Mpower : 9th October 2013 at 18:56.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 10:11   #394
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

[quote=2000rpm;3258981]
1. Buying a Diesel Hatch / Amaze / Dzire (by trading Civic)
2. CNGing the Civic

Quote:
Is there anyone on this forum who has installed a CNG kit on a Manual Civic, if yes please help me with the following queries
Many people on this forum. Just search a little bit more.

Quote:
1. What type of kit? --
Sequential. Even Taxi operators are shifting to Sequential kits owing to their long term stability, higher fuel efficiency and lesser maintenance as compared to conventional kits.
I would recommend Lovato.

Quote:
2. What price?
50000-60000

Quote:
3. What is the mileage per KG on CNG? (Mumbai City Traffic)
In Mumbai city traffic, 10-13 km per kg is expected.

Quote:
4. CNG availability / waiting time at pumps in Mumbai? (Thane / Powai Area)
I don't know about Thane, but around Powai, there are a few pumps. Lots of rickshaws and cabs fill up, so big waiting and lines are imminent.

Quote:
5. Any breakeven calculation based on answers to above questions?
I broke even in 3 months. Depends on your daily running.

Quote:
6. Impact on GC (I plan to install Coil Spring Adjusters anyways)
I have the same installed anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is there a different version of the kit for manuals & ATs or can the same kit be fitted on both?
No, it's the same. Just the computerised tuning is done differently for different cars and auto and manual both have slightly different states of tune.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 20:28   #395
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
No, it's the same. Just the computerised tuning is done differently for different cars and auto and manual both have slightly different states of tune.
Is there not an issue with installing sequential kits on cars with plastic intake manifold?

(the plastic has to be drilled and tapped??)

Also any idea of your guy has done it for i-10-AT & which kit is best suited?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 20:32   #396
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is there not an issue with installing sequential kits on cars with plastic intake manifold?

(the plastic has to be drilled and tapped??)

Also any idea of your guy has done it for i-10-AT & which kit is best suited?
Any car can be outfitted with a sequential kit sir. I've driven an i10 Auto with cng and I've loved the combination of good mileage and the fabulous convenience of an automatic. Boss, If one needs a car for Mumbai or any other crowded city, an automatic is a must. Cng only makes the deal sweeter and a sequential kit means you don't end up losing much. I'm very very happy with my factory fitted estilo cng and as my dad puts it, it's cheaper to drive around in her than to walk. (btw she's a month old today)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 22:06   #397
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Boss, If one needs a car for Mumbai or any other crowded city, an automatic is a must.
Thanks! I concur. We have 2 ATs in the house, i-10 & Verna .... our Civic is an MT. The smallest (i-10) is the thirstiest...so I'm considering LPGfy it.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 22:11   #398
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

You mean cng right? Lpg is a lost cause.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 06:08   #399
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
You mean cng right? Lpg is a lost cause.
CNG is not available in Bangalore unfortunately (unless things have changed recently). Anyways 8kpl on petrol for a teeny tiny car is driving my folks up the wall.

We also have a WagonR 1.1 with factory fitted LPG Kit for our facroty use and it has served us well.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 23:15   #400
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Hi Frank. The last 3 days have been terrible with the person who installed my CNG kit. As I posted here earlier I had issues with the RPM fluctuating on it's own accord. While idling and while driving. I have also been getting issues a full tank of gas lasting me only 60Kms.

I got this kit fitted from Xpress Pitsop in Kandivali. I urge everyone who reads this to avoid going there. Went through a friend who got a kit from there for his Accord with no problems at all.

Anyway - after giving them the car for 3 days they could not figure out why it was giving me such a low average. After much of a fight with them I got the kit removed and money returned in full. The mechanic who came to remove it said somebody forgot to screw a nut tightly around the area where you fill gas into and it had been leaking. There was a white dried residue around it. Now after leaving my engine check light has suddnely come on and refuses to go away. Will be taking it into Honda in a day or 2. What can I expect? Since I don't know much about cars all I can do is read about a lot of problems online but will have to blindly go by what Honda says now.
NaderBalooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 23:39   #401
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Going to Honda will not help. Except for cleaning that error code. Trust me. If you want, you can visit my cng guy and he'll surely iron all your issues out for you and repeat the install successfully. If you want his details, look up the team Bhp directory section.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 23:54   #402
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

I believe it is Suraj Autogas? I've already spoken to Mr. Jain. Will be visiting him in a couple of days to get my CNG bit sorted. I'm aware that going to Honda for any CNG related issue is pointless. Going to them to sort out that checklight issue.
NaderBalooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 11:13   #403
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 454
Thanked: 101 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
Hi Frank. The last 3 days have been terrible with the person who installed my CNG kit. As I posted here earlier I had issues with the RPM fluctuating on it's own accord. While idling and while driving. I have also been getting issues a full tank of gas lasting me only 60Kms.

I got this kit fitted from Xpress Pitsop in Kandivali. I urge everyone who reads this to avoid going there. Went through a friend who got a kit from there for his Accord with no problems at all.

Anyway - after giving them the car for 3 days they could not figure out why it was giving me such a low average. After much of a fight with them I got the kit removed and money returned in full. The mechanic who came to remove it said somebody forgot to screw a nut tightly around the area where you fill gas into and it had been leaking. There was a white dried residue around it. Now after leaving my engine check light has suddnely come on and refuses to go away. Will be taking it into Honda in a day or 2. What can I expect? Since I don't know much about cars all I can do is read about a lot of problems online but will have to blindly go by what Honda says now.
Was it not a sequential kit? Because sequential kit can't be removed. Anyways now I'll suggest go in for sequential kit to get the maximum benefit, with it's own ECU it saves lots of hassle.
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 11:16   #404
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

@Saurabhkum - It was a Lovato sequential kit. It can be removed..they did so yesterday.
NaderBalooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 15:44   #405
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 454
Thanked: 101 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
@Saurabhkum - It was a Lovato sequential kit. It can be removed..they did so yesterday.
Sequential Kit can't be removed, for sequential there is a drilling on the engine block which is non reversible process. Experts can confirm but this is the first time I'm hearing removal of sequential kit.
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!** RavenAvi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 123 26th February 2014 15:36
Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box frankmehta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 70 7th January 2014 17:58
Company Workhorse : New Eeco 5 seater CNG or Used Dzire + CNG kit? NMM What Car? 2 4th February 2013 19:29
The Makings of a Practical Workhorse: An Automatic Civic with CNG & more frankmehta Modifications & Accessories 33 25th September 2012 00:52
Honda Civic CNG now sold in USA giri The International Automotive Scene 0 2nd February 2007 12:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks