Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st October 2012, 23:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Hey Frank congrats on your new workhorse. I have spotted your Zen, your ex-Esteem and ex-Fiesta several times simply because each were unique. Your Zen had the chrome rings on its wheels initially and the t-bhp sticker, your esteem lamps were all smoked out and the Fiesta S had an individuality of its own. So as far as aesthetics are concerned are you planning any changes/ additions to the Civic??
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Hey Frank congrats on your new workhorse. I have spotted your Zen, your ex-Esteem and ex-Fiesta several times simply because each were unique. Your Zen had the chrome rings on its wheels initially and the t-bhp sticker, your esteem lamps were all smoked out and the Fiesta S had an individuality of its own. So as far as aesthetics are concerned are you planning any changes/ additions to the Civic??
Cheers mate, for noticing the cars.
And this time around, I doubt there will be anything at all. I just want the car to look stock!!!! Well, if you see a silver Civic at a CNG pump, you know who to shout out to :-)

GUYS, I am EXTREMELY tempted to give this pre-engineered Cold air intake a a try.. WHATSAY??

http://www.aemintakes.com/search/aem...u7TUn2ksS2hw==
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:31   #78
BHPian

Why not a regular k&n Typhoon kit, made specifically for the civic
If you don't tinker with your exhaust, it's hardly audible, if you want the growl, youll have to rev past 3k rpm, and with the fantastic ICE your car's got, the filter's totally inaudible
I installed the typhoon recently, it's not as loud as civic's who've tinkered with their exhausts, but it's just got a perfect growl to it which isn't too loud! perfect!
do consider it,
in the US, it's in the ballpark of 200-250$
raghav.carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:29   #79
Senior - BHPian

GTO's got a typhoon short ram intake from K&N in his Civic.The Cold air intake would would be a pain in the rainy season since the filter would probably be located near the bumper and you would have to be real careful while driving on flooded streets.

Here are some links

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...nda-civic.html (K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ir-intake.html (Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake)

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd October 2012 at 11:34.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:30   #80
BHPian

I have a k&n typhoon kit installed in a civic myself and thats precisely why i was suggesting it
Please note that the filter is nowhere near the bumper so i dont see it getting wet as such
But then i stay in bangalore,there's no comparison between the rains here and in mumbai,besides frank is considering a performance air filter,and thats why i was asking why not k&n because the kit im talking about is specifically designed for the civic.
Pl note im not affiliated with k&n, i just like the product upon my personal usage
raghav.carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
I have a k&n typhoon kit installed in a civic myself and thats precisely why i was suggesting it
Please note that the filter is nowhere near the bumper so i dont see it getting wet as such
But then i stay in bangalore,there's no comparison between the rains here and in mumbai,besides frank is considering a performance air filter,and thats why i was asking why not k&n because the kit im talking about is specifically designed for the civic.
Pl note im not affiliated with k&n, i just like the product upon my personal usage
Yup the typhoon is nowhere near the bumper hence i was suggesting it over the cold air intake as depicted in the link provided by Frank.The AEM filter seems to have plumbing which would probably be close to the bumper.So the Typhoon is better which IMHO is a proper short ram intake rather than a cold air intake.

Edit:Please select the Civic's 1.8L engine from the drop down in the AEM website.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd October 2012 at 16:12.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not a regular k&n Typhoon kit, made specifically for the civic
If you don't tinker with your exhaust, it's hardly audible, if you want the growl, youll have to rev past 3k rpm, and with the fantastic ICE your car's got, the filter's totally inaudible
I installed the typhoon recently, it's not as loud as civic's who've tinkered with their exhausts, but it's just got a perfect growl to it which isn't too loud! perfect!
do consider it,
in the US, it's in the ballpark of 200-250$
Thanks for the feedback, but from what I learnt, high RAM intakes are only useful at higher speeds and higher revs when there is a lot of wind being sucked in. At low traffic snarls, the larger filter sucks in more hot air from the engine bay and makes the car cumbersome to drive in stop and go traffic. My usage is 50-50 highway and stop-start traffic, so I don't want to get a short RAM intake that actually funnels hot air into the engine at low speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
GTO's got a typhoon short ram intake from K&N in his Civic.The Cold air intake would would be a pain in the rainy season since the filter would probably be located near the bumper and you would have to be real careful while driving on flooded streets.

Here are some links

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...nda-civic.html (K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ir-intake.html (Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake)
Thanks for the links. I have seen his thread but I don't care much about Dyno runs and 0-100 times. What I want is a perfectly driveable city car (remember the title: Practical Workhorse!) that is cheap to run and maintain, while ironing out the inherent (but not too obtrusive) fault of the Civic which is poor low end torque at low RPMs. I want to lose that trait even in traffic, and short RAM will only address that when the car is running. I am mighty pleased with the way she's driving right now, and if only I can get her to pull like a Fiesta from 1200-1500 RPM without (automatically) shifting a couple of gears down, I will be able to call her the (almost) perfect city automobile.

Quote:
The AEM website has an instruction manual that hides the intake behind the foglight in the front bumper. I think that's where most of the air can enter the engine bay, since the bumper has a relatively large air dam. I am confident that I will be able to get nice, cold air into the engine from there with the help of a (relatively) large mushroom filter. The AEM website also has a water repellent sleeve that allows the air to get inside but repels water.
WATER is the ONLY deterrent aspect preventing me from going in for that filter, guys. I don't want hydrolocking happening with the engine sucking in water.
Though, I doubt the filter will come into any direct contact with water unless I drive her in very low lying water logged areas (very unlikely in my part of the city).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Yup the typhoon is nowhere near the bumper hence i was suggesting it over the cold air intake as depicted in the link provided by Frank.The AEM filter seems to have plumbing which would probably be close to the bumper.So the Typhoon is better which IMHO is a proper short ram intake rather than a cold air intake.

Edit:Please select the Civic's 1.8L engine from the drop down in the AEM website.
I am mulling the AEM intake, but the short RAM intakes are almost definitely out.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:28   #83
Senior - BHPian

A short but sweet update.
  • Drove her for extended distances in the last few days. She is driving like a real dream. Smooth, silent, and QUICK when I need her to chase an errant cabbie or overtake an idiot driving in the fast lane on the highway.
  • I used to feel special driving the Fiesta, but sitting in the imposing cockpit like cabin of the Civic with it's huge glass area, unique front quarter glass and extremely spacious and luxurious leather interiors is a different feeling in itself.
  • ICE has been installed and she's sounding WAY better than the Fiesta did. Shockingly better!
  • The 50W Xenon HID kit for the low beam has arrived since 4-5 days but I haven't got time to fix it. This time around, I have asked for 5000k bulbs and not 6000k like those in the Fiesta. Reason for this is that 5000k is known to be the brightest and as close to stock manufacturer colour as possible, hence road lighting might be even better than I got in the Fiesta (Mind you, the Fiesta lit up the road in the worst of conditions with the same 50w kit and I had no complaints even during rain)
  • Problems: She's 5 years old and needs an A/C cooling coil change (she's already in the workshop for that) and the front power windows are getting bogged because of the damping in the doors. Will take her to the door mechanic and have that fixed.

Economy figures:
110 km ---> 260 rupees of GAS (in traffic)
105 km ---> 226 rupees of GAS (highway plus traffic)

I have now started understanding how automatics behave and have begun hypermiling since yesterday. Expect the next mileage figures to be a shocker.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
A short but sweet update.
  • Drove her for extended distances in the last few days. She is driving like a real dream. Smooth, silent, and QUICK when I need her to chase an errant cabbie or overtake an idiot driving in the fast lane on the highway.
err.. slightly OT, but why do you need to chase cabbies?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:19   #85
BHPian

Quick question for you buddy

You said your going to install 55W hid's
Are you installing the hid's with projectors/changing the entire headlamp assembly or installing them in your fogs?
The color is secondary
Just wanted to know how your approaching this particular mod and costs involved for the whole set up
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 09:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice of car for CNG upgrade Frank The conversion looks to be done very professionally. Can you tell me the difference between the closed loop kit and the sequential kit? I believe the sequential kit costs twice as much as the closed loop, isnt it?

Also, wont you be upgrading to a 2 DIN system?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 10:38   #87
BHPian

dont do the cold air intake , low rpm throttle response will suffer, dont want that on a commuter cng honda.
paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 10:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick question for you buddy

You said your going to install 55W hid's
Are you installing the hid's with projectors/changing the entire headlamp assembly or installing them in your fogs?
The color is secondary
Just wanted to know how your approaching this particular mod and costs involved for the whole set up
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Excellent choice of car for CNG upgrade Frank The conversion looks to be done very professionally. Can you tell me the difference between the closed loop kit and the sequential kit? I believe the sequential kit costs twice as much as the closed loop, isnt it?

Also, wont you be upgrading to a 2 DIN system?
Guys, I shall be installing the 50 W HID system today. Installing it directly into the headlights without modifying the design or installing projectors. I don't have fog lamps or I would have thought of that as an option. The trick is to park the car about 15-20 feet from a wall and focus your beam in such a way that it is at it's lowest setting (I think 3) This way, you will not end up blinding any oncoming traffic and the Xenon lights will light up your road like day.

I didn't go in for 2 din head unit because this head unit that I have installed is the only head unit in the market right now that permits active digital crossover for the speakers. The nature of my install didn't permit a dual din unit since the dual din units are not exactly made for sound quality. The DEH-80PRS from Pioneer is one of the few audiophile units available these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
dont do the cold air intake , low rpm throttle response will suffer, dont want that on a commuter cng honda.
Headers??? Will that improve low end?? GTO says that his short RAM filter improved low end. Should I go for something like that?

Last edited by frankmehta : 4th October 2012 at 10:43.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:45   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Really? On my Accord when I use the CAI I find low rpm response to be better than when I use the SRI.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 11:06   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Really? On my Accord when I use the CAI I find low rpm response to be better than when I use the SRI.
That was what I read when I was researching my intake, you can find tons of links about people complaining on various forums about "loss in low end torque" , "bogging down in the beginning" etc. So i went for a short ram typhoon.
The logic behind it is the longer the plumbing from the engine to the filter the more time it takes to respond at low rpms because the air flow is slow once it speeds up its continuous then.A crude comparison would be drinking through a very long straw, once it gets going you dont have to suck so hard

Yours is a V6 na? anyways its got oodles of torque. May be it didnt show up on your car.
But then I have never driven a Car with a CAI so....But I can vouch for the SRI typhoon sounds kickass and works too.

Quote:
Headers??? Will that improve low end?? GTO says that his short RAM filter improved low end. Should I go for something like that?
Yes 4x2x1 headers will help.
BUT you cant get them for your Civic the headers are a part of the block its not a different component that you can bolt on like in most cars, delete the cat converter it will free up some power.

Best way to get a feel take a short run with the air box open if it feels better get the short ram , The air box is in the engine bay i guess.
Disclaimer- Your engine can suck in a flying screw/stone/bolt.

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th October 2012 at 16:33. Reason: Back to Back Posts. Next time will invite infraction
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote