Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st September 2012, 11:55   #1
Default Short Test Drive of the TRUE BEAST! Skoda Laura vRS

From the last few months i was planning to get myself a new car. My search for it began a week back when i started taking test drives of different cars.
Today, it was the turn of 'Skoda' The name Skoda says a lot. Two days back I had a talk with my dealer and booked my Test Drive of Laura's latest avatar the vRS.
As a young car enthusiast I wanted a car which is powerful,comfortable, good to drive and should have decent features and this car ticked all the boxes.
So, at 11.30 am I reached my dealer to get the vRS madness.

1st let's begin with the specs of the car.

Engine: 1.8 TSI,4 cylinders in-line (present in the current Laura)
L/W/H: 4569/1769/1485
Power: 160 Bhp at 4500-6200rpm
Gearbox: 6-Speed Manual
Torque: 25.5kgm at 1500-4500rpm
Tyres: 205/55 R16
Ground Clearence: 164mm

The new vRS takes inspiration from the racetrack.Sporty interiors, Muscular exterior and plenty of raw power under the hood which makes it a delight for any driver.
The original Octavia vRS came to India in 2005 and was the first turbo-petrol in the country. This car set a benchmark in the India Car Market and was appreciated by everyone. The car did not do volumes which something like vRS wasn't supposed to do. It was just supposed to exist just like a king.
The new Laura vRS has big shoes to fill, A lot of expectations are with this car and now it has appeal to even larger audience.

The laura vRS gets an all new set of Alloys known as Draconis (16).
It gets Chrome surround radiator grille with the vRS logo and sporty front bumpers with integrated spoiler in the front and the best thing which i liked was the day time running lights above the fog lamps which looked really cool.
The rear did not had much visible changes though just the new rear lid spoiler and polished twin exhaust pipe and a vRS logo to differentiate the car from the normal Laura.
The car now also came with turn indicator in external mirrors.

The most of the changes which I found was from the inside
The vRS gets the proper mix of quality,contours,texture and ambience. The dash is a rich black with light grey touch and a nice leathery texture.
The seats of the vRS comes in with Alcantara leather and the three-spoke steering is small and really grippy with the vRS badging
The vRS has the got a 6.5 LCD touchscreen music system with integrated six-cd changer, Aux-in and SD/MMC data card reader.
The car even gets 8 speakers of BOSE which is amazing.
The vRS also has a sunroof which looks really good

Safety Features:

Xenon Curve projectors with headlight washers
Corner function with front fog lamps
Auto dimming interior rear view mirror
Front head restraints
Parking sensors with display on central infotainment display
4 airbags
automatic rain sensing wipers

The Drive:

The car's suspension has been made a bit stiffer than the regular TSI which can be felt at high speeds but is still really comfortable. The steering doesn't get lighten or become heavy its consitent throughout. The acceleration of the car is really amazing 0-100kmph in a whopping little more than 7 secs which is excellent and I think it can easily go above 200. The highest I could do was 150-160 which ticks all the boxes for a quick car. The brakes of the car are not that good. Under high speed you will find yourself adjusting the steering to keep in line. The ride also gets a bit fidgety at high speeds its not bad but its does not give that European feel in it. The car is fun to drive but its not solid. The best part of the car is the engine. I revved it all the way upto 6500rpm and power is available wherever you want it. The roar of the engine gives you a feel of driving a sports car which is amazing. The handling of the car could have been a bit better though. The gearbox is really good and gear change is short and for long drives you can keep so many stuffs inside the massive 560-litres boot. The executive was telling me that i can expect around 6-7 kmpl which is not bad as the car is really powerful.
YashD is offline   Reply With Quote