Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd October 2012, 10:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!

Dot 400 kms on the i20 covered in one month's time. That's saying that this car really stays in the garage more than it does on the road. It went in to its first service today. It's the first Free Service where just a basic check and inspection is done and "if" things need to be replenished or replaced, it's carried out.

I've had a few complains and have listed it on paper to the guy who came to collect the car and take it to the service center. Waiting on hearing back from Service center now.

Complain areas:

1. Burning smell from engine bay and exhaust (to some extent) when driven for 5kms or more. (I've heard many stories on the burning smell in a new car - most of them harmless, if not fixable)

2. A/C re-circulation system not working properly - Outside smell filters into the cabin.

3. Car vibrates more than usual on idle.

4. Exhaust muffler making an *irregular* droning sound when revved from idle to 3000 rpm.

These problems are not something that I cannot live with, but it's just more of an irritation, specially considering the i20 is still fairly new and I constantly keep on comparing it to my Jazz!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from service and I am pleasantly surprised. All the problems i had listed have been solved. And the car feels much more sprightly now - although that could just be my mind playing tricks. Nonetheless, first service complete without any hassles and I am satisfied.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just came back from service and I am pleasantly surprised. All the problems i had listed have been solved. And the car feels much more sprightly now - although that could just be my mind playing tricks. Nonetheless, first service complete without any hassles and I am satisfied.
can you please share what exactly was the reason for the "vibrations", & did the service staff gave any explanation for the same?
jaspal singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 15:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh

can you please share what exactly was the reason for the "vibrations", & did the service staff gave any explanation for the same?
It's the usual case with service centers that either they're poorly equipped to understand the problem of a customer or they're taught to just say things at will. In quoting my problems and after a good 4 hours of checking the car, I was told that none of the problems exist. The vibrations are "normal" for all cars, the exhaust has been "tuned to sound sporty" for the new lot of i20s, the A/c switch has been "double checked" to make sure the recirculation mode works fine, and there is no burning smell "at all".

It's only after I dropped a few names of the Service Advisor head and that I had connections with the owner of the dealership, I was told that all the problems will be rechecked and solved before the car is returned to me.

I got a call sometime in the next couple of hours and was said the car was ready to be dropped off. I only inquired if the problems had been fixed and there was a resounding "yes". The car came home and the problems were fixed!

So I didn't bother asking what the problem was and they didn't bother writing on their worksheet either about these problems and their solutions.

So that's all there is to it this time around.
Old 21st January 2013, 13:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

What do you guys think the usual tyre pressure for the i20 should be like? I tried various settings but the best ride comfort and handling comes in when I set the front tyres at 30psi and the rear at 28psi. Just saying because whenever I fill in more air than 30-28, the ride gets very bouncy and bigger potholes make the handling a little out-of-control with the super light steering and all.

Anyway, the i20 has done some 1500 odd kms by now and runs pretty smooth. I can vouch for the smoother and faster pickup, specially in the second gear (when compared to my Jazz) after the first service. No more vibrations (atleast none that are obvious), no more burning smell and no more problems as of now. Touchwood. FE tank-to-tank method varies between 11.5-13.5 100% city driving with A/C on 75% of the times.
Old 7th August 2013, 10:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

The i20 has clocked some 2100 odd kms in the past 10 months. It mostly stays parked in the garage and gets to ride the tarmac only on the weekends. This car was initially bought for the wife and the mom, but the wife seems to not let go of the Jazz and the mom is only comfortable with the Santro. That leaves me to make it a point to take this one out for a ride, atleast on the weekends.

A few days back, just out of curiosity, I opened the bonnet to take a peek and see if everything was fine under there and I find this. In the pictures I've circled the spots in RED - can anyone tell me if that is an Oil leak or is it just Water from the condenser or a mix of both? Is this normal for a car that has mostly been just lying around doing nothing?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_20130720_183127.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_20130720_183057.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_20130720_183051.jpg  

Old 7th August 2013, 11:24   #22
BHPian

A few days back, just out of curiosity, I opened the bonnet to take a peek and see if everything was fine under there and I find this. In the pictures I've circled the spots in RED - can anyone tell me if that is an Oil leak or is it just Water from the condenser or a mix of both? Is this normal for a car that has mostly been just lying around doing nothing?[/quote]

Buddy this is certainly not normal. Its suspected to be a Oil or Coolant leak. Water from the passenger compartment is normally towards the other side.

Rest Guru's can advise
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 11:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

It looks like water from the condensor as you can see traces of water dried up as well. Check again once the vehicle is standing for a few hours to see if the water evaporates.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 14:11   #24
BHPian

Hi 9thsphinx!
It seems there's something wrong with the car. I too drive an i20 and I never found such kind of a leak in my car.
Do run the car for sometime so that the engine reaches its optimum temperature and then check the car. If its water, it should evaporate due to the heat from the engine, if it doesn't, then probably its an oil leak or something like that.
Also do check all the reservoirs (brake, coolant and wiper washer fluid reservoir) for any leak and take it to the service centre ASAP!.
GreyAsta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 16:44   #25
BHPian

It does'nt seem like water, rather it looks like some oil.
You can be sure whether it is oil or water by checking it with your finger.
You should also check the level of the engine oil and coolant to see if the level has gone down.
In any case get it checked at the dealership at the earliest.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 10:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
A few days back, just out of curiosity, I opened the bonnet to take a peek and see if everything was fine under there and I find this. In the pictures I've circled the spots in RED - can anyone tell me if that is an Oil leak or is it just Water from the condenser or a mix of both? Is this normal for a car that has mostly been just lying around doing nothing?
Buddy this is certainly not normal. Its suspected to be a Oil or Coolant leak. Water from the passenger compartment is normally towards the other side.

Rest Guru's can advise[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
It looks like water from the condensor as you can see traces of water dried up as well. Check again once the vehicle is standing for a few hours to see if the water evaporates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyAsta View Post
Hi 9thsphinx!
It seems there's something wrong with the car. I too drive an i20 and I never found such kind of a leak in my car.
Do run the car for sometime so that the engine reaches its optimum temperature and then check the car. If its water, it should evaporate due to the heat from the engine, if it doesn't, then probably its an oil leak or something like that.
Also do check all the reservoirs (brake, coolant and wiper washer fluid reservoir) for any leak and take it to the service centre ASAP!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
It does'nt seem like water, rather it looks like some oil.
You can be sure whether it is oil or water by checking it with your finger.
You should also check the level of the engine oil and coolant to see if the level has gone down.
In any case get it checked at the dealership at the earliest.
Just checked again, after about keeping the car immobile for 4 days, and the plastic under-plate on which the mystery fluid was floating has all dried up. As an Autumn leaf.

Here's another question. Does oil dry up so fast without leaving any solid sticky residue? I checked it with my finger and it looks like dried up dust mixed with part water. It's not really greasy as such to qualify it as an oil leak. I also physically checked all components in that vicinity for oil drips - none! Checked the coolant level - it is some 15% lower than the "F" mark. Can it be the coolant that was dripping on the plate or is it normal for it to be at this mark after some 2000 odd kms?

To throw some more light, the pictures that I had posted above was after driving the car for some 12 odd kms with the A/C on at ~17 deg. Could it just have been water which has now evaporated?

Can i20 owners confirm if that plastic plate is prone to accumulating dust?
Old 8th August 2013, 18:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
the pictures that I had posted above was after driving the car for some 12 odd kms with the A/C on at ~17 deg. Could it just have been water which has now evaporated?

Can i20 owners confirm if that plastic plate is prone to accumulating dust?
I think it was water and nothing else. As you have mentioned that your A/C was running at 17 degrees, its the water form the condenser that has accumulated on that plastic plate. If the difference between the inside and outside temperature is more, water gets accumulated there and sometimes starts dripping and you can see the water droplets on the ground. This is absolutely normal and no need to worry as I too have experienced this "water dripping".
Set the temperature to 22 degrees and the water accumulation should stop.

As far as the coolant level is concerned, it should be at "F" mark.
GreyAsta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote