Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th September 2012, 20:48   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Strange beginning to the Journey with my new stone beige Verna diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Congratulations for achieving the two milestones - the car and the baby.

That's a very interesting story and the excellent simple write-up does full justice to it.

The Verna is a brilliant car given its price point and the goodies available. I agree the engine can achieve great speeds in lesser RPMs as compared to its competition.

The kitten incident is the first of its kind I've heard. Just hope it remains rarer.

I wish you many happy miles of motoring with both of your prized possessions.

Take Care and Drive Safe!
Thanks for the wishes dZired. Yes, now even i have accepted as one of those rare incidents rather than thinking about a design flaw with the car.
champ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:38   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Strange beginning to the Journey with my new stone beige Verna diesel

Hey Champ, Congrats on your new wheels and the new born. I can understand your joy on these new arrivals.
There was a Rat inside the hood of my fiesta once. Infact it had damaged the engine harness cable and i had a nightmare pushing the car. The Car refused to go beyond 20 kph speed even on the 3rd gear. took it to the setrvice station and got it rectified.
from then Rat kills are placed under the cars hood.
I am wondering What do we do for Cat???

Wish you happy and safe miles ahead.
Travelocity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:19   #18
BHPian

It's been just over 2 months of ownership now. I have done 2 long trips and the odo stands at approx 3000 km.

So far I am fully satisfied with the Car. I understand the car better and have become acquainted with it's behavior. For eg - now I know that I have to be extra careful going over those monster size speed bumps with 4 grown ups in the car. This car has a tendency to scrape these speed bumps if you don't slow down to an almost halt. In the 2 long trips, the bottom has scraped 6-7 times over 1500 Km of highway run. Apart from this I have no complaints.

The car drives like a dream in the 6th Gear at 1700-1800 rpm. When on cruise mode, engine sound is almost absent in the cabin. Haven't experienced any high speed instability on a couple of short speed bursts. AC is good enough and cools the cabin within 3-4 min after being parked in the afternoon sun.

City driving has been a boon ever since this bloke has come home. Small to medium pot holes are not much of an issue anymore. I understand the gear shift requirements better thereby the count of gearshifts have reduced significantly from when I started driving this car.

Coming back to the trip, last weekend did another long haul clocking approx 875 Km. Got an FE of 19.2, if not for that extremely bad stretch of around 150 km , FE would definitely have been over 20 kmpl.

Did the following stretch over the weekend:

Day 1 :Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli (Night Halt)

Day 2: Agumbe-Sringeri-Kudermukh range-Mudigere-Hassan-Bangalore

This time the trip was hassle free unlike the first trip when the entire return leg got high jacked by the cat episode.

Day 1 was a typical highway cruise mode driving. Roads were good save some diversions on NH4. Day 2 was extremely frustrating. Tirthahalli - Agumbe section was extremely bad. Drive through Kudremukh range was full of extraordinary views. Roads in the Kudremukh range was decent. But the worst section was Kudremukh to Mudigere. I will think twice before taking this route again. It was extremely frustrating & tiresome.

Some pictures from the trip.

My Favorite Picture. Verna taking a break at Kudremukh range

Name:  DSC06606.JPG
Views: 2096
Size:  188.3 KB

Name:  DSC06608.JPG
Views: 2223
Size:  183.5 KB

I like this picture as well

Name:  DSC06613.JPG
Views: 1994
Size:  188.4 KB

Somewhere between Shimoga & Tirthalli

Name:  DSC06443.JPG
Views: 2017
Size:  220.9 KB

How can i forget not to check the engine bay after my previous experience

Name:  DSC06653.JPG
Views: 1969
Size:  260.1 KB

Name:  DSC06448.JPG
Views: 1949
Size:  200.5 KB

Name:  DSC06555.JPG
Views: 1965
Size:  254.6 KB

Name:  DSC06560.JPG
Views: 1912
Size:  292.2 KB

Name:  DSC06574.JPG
Views: 1937
Size:  275.1 KB

Name:  DSC06612.JPG
Views: 1853
Size:  197.2 KB

Name:  DSC06458.JPG
Views: 1847
Size:  197.5 KB

Name:  DSC06459.JPG
Views: 1844
Size:  216.3 KB

Name:  DSC06496.JPG
Views: 1850
Size:  234.7 KB

Name:  DSC06510.JPG
Views: 1850
Size:  214.9 KB

Name:  DSC06611.JPG
Views: 1876
Size:  207.1 KB

Name:  DSC06631.JPG
Views: 1847
Size:  285.7 KB

Thank you God for the safe trip !

Name:  DSC06623.JPG
Views: 1835
Size:  155.8 KB
Old 28th October 2012, 12:58   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Got 3D Kagu Mats for my Verna

Finally after some running around, got the 3D Maxspider Kagu Mats yesterday. Was confused about the color till the very end. In the end went for beige.

In my experience with Black colored mats, the dust collected over them gets more pronounced and the mats look dirtier than they actually are. Beige should camouflage the dust nicely. IMO the only disadvantage that the beige has when compared to black is when your shoes pick up red mud and deposit them on the beige colored mat. The color combination offers a stark contrast and looks bad. One of the pics below vaguely indicates this aspect

Coming back to the fitting of the mats, front mats fits nicely but i am not too kicked about the rear ones. It doesn't sit properly on the carpet and definitely not a snug fit. But i think it will not slide like rubber mats and stay put. Another thing that i didn't like is that the rear mat doesn't extend till under the front seats unlike the rubber mats. So if the rear passenger stretches his legs the carpet will get exposed and will collect the dust.

Coming to the cost, i kept getting contrasting quotes varying from 6300 to 4500 for exactly the same quality of mats. I checked the stuff at few outlets ( drift, torque, hot tracks, tyre empire etc) and finally bought it from Tyre Empire (hsr layout) for 4500.

The mat doesn't go all the way up but it's still ok.

Name:  DSC06675.JPG
Views: 1782
Size:  209.8 KB

Driver's seat pushed all the way back

Name:  DSC06676.JPG
Views: 1730
Size:  218.3 KB

Front left side

Name:  DSC06673.JPG
Views: 1726
Size:  209.2 KB

Name:  DSC06674.JPG
Views: 1754
Size:  221.7 KB

Name:  DSC06677.JPG
Views: 1758
Size:  189.4 KB

Front left side fitting- some carpet area is still exposed.

Name:  DSC06679.JPG
Views: 1736
Size:  207.0 KB

Rear mats - Not too impressed . Please note the gap (between the carpet and the mat) over the hump. Also note the red mud mark against the beige backdrop

Name:  DSC06680.JPG
Views: 1761
Size:  204.4 KB

The mat doesn't extend till under the front seat

Name:  DSC06683.JPG
Views: 1712
Size:  128.0 KB
Old 1st November 2012, 00:17   #20
BHPian

Congrats on your Verna! The seat colour is different, can you post a few pics.

I had a kitten stuck in my OHC engine bay once. There I was zipping along after gym at 11pm and I could make out the faint sound of a meow. I looked around and there seemed to be none on the road both left and right.

Strange... moved on and the meows keep on growing. Now for someone who has never had or read about kittens in your engine bay this is difficult to imagine, since it won't occur in your wildest dream there is actually a possibility of a kitten in your engine. Stopped and looked in the car, front seat, back seat..nothing...

Drove on and damn...the meows are still there.. now this was getting disconcerting, was something following me.. was something out to get me??? Finally after 7km of mental speculation stopped the car and opened the bonnet, and there it was.. a kitten! a whole live kitten! sitting calmly next to the battery and meowing...

To say I was taken aback would be an understatement. Quickly extracted the kitten and let it go.

Last edited by raul : 1st November 2012 at 00:18.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 23:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Congrats on your Verna! The seat colour is different, can you post a few pics.

I had a kitten stuck in my OHC engine bay once. There I was zipping along after gym at 11pm and I could make out the faint sound of a meow.

To say I was taken aback would be an understatement. Quickly extracted the kitten and let it go.
Thanks raul. Finally I have someone who had a similar experience. You were lucky that you could find the kitten and were able to come out of the misery. I had to live with the situation for 300 odd Kms. Even I never thought of anything like this.

Attached are some pictures of the seat cover.
Attached Images

champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 10:44   #22
BHPian

That's one hell of an experience, dude. Surprising that the kitten survived, lucky for it too.
Batfreak is offline   Reply With Quote