Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th December 2012, 12:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Don't worry. After the first service it will open up and you will get good FE. In city you will get 10-11kmpl and on highways 14-16kmpl.

Atleast this is the case with my Xylo and many of my friends Xylo.

Good to see that you are enjoying it.
Yes Shishir, thats a fair assumption. My City FE is 9 -10kmpl and Highway FE is 13-14kmpl as per the latest observations. These figures are almost consistant since bought. Most of the time, my van has 4-5 passengers and both row ACs on throughout.
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 19:25   #47
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,

Its been a long time since i last posted an update. The Xylo has been performing extremely well - and is giving a consistent mileage of around 8.5-9 kmpl now in city driving. The minor squeaks from the interior still continue. I am sure this is coming from the seat or the seat belts. The surprising thing is that the squeaks are more audible when there is no one seated in the passenger seat. The noise on the front suspension has been rectified - the reason being a loose nut in the suspension.The new seat covers have been fitted and they look much better than the cloth seat covers that were earlier fitted.
Name:  XyloSeats.jpg
Views: 5053
Size:  247.0 KB

Today the high security registration plates were also fitted along with blackening the number plate area at the rear. Breaks the monotony of the huge rear door at the back. I was wondering what the Xylo designers were thinking when they decided to design a billboard sized area for a number plate.
Name:  XyloRegPlate.jpg
Views: 8198
Size:  291.9 KB

Rgistration and other problems :
Since we have a house in Panvel, we decided to register our car in Panvel. All relevant documents were provided and last Sunday we were informed that the RC Book (card) has arrived at our Panvel house. We drove down to Panvel checked our Post box, opened the envelope, checked the card. My eyes first went on the Name and Address to confirm if these are accurate. Next it went on the registration number. The 4 digit number mentioned on the card was totally different from what we have on our Xylo since the time we got delivery. Immediately I realise that there could be a messup at the RTO and the wrong number was punched on our card. We went on to verify the other details - the Engine Number, Chassis Number matched with our car. The Model mentioned a lower model and that too a BS3 one. We called up the dealer to confirm if this was actually our card - or was there a mistake. They informed us that the number that was given to us at the time of delivery was a "jump" (dummy) number and the one that is printed on the card is the actual one. I went on to mention that the Model mentioned in the card was also wrong.

Our Xylo was an E4 BS IV model - whereas what was mentioned on the card was D4 BS3. Although this maybe a small mistake on the part of the RTO - this is a big problem for us (in the long run).
1. The car is registered as a lower model - and we are paying the insurance for a higher model.
2. At the time of resale - the RC card will hold more value than all the other documents. The card mentions a lower model - so a lower resale value. Also since its mentioned BS3, it will not be allowed to be registered within Mumbai.

We mentioned this to the delaer and they have informed us that if we need to have these details corrected on the card - we will need to get this done on our own by visiting the Panvel RTO - since the mistake has happened at the RTO. Am waiting to hear from them and will update the thread soon.

The card shwoing D4 (instead of E4), showing mEagle and CRDe and BS3 (instead of BS4).
Name:  XyloRCCard.jpg
Views: 4360
Size:  276.8 KB

Last edited by v12 : 12th January 2013 at 19:33.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 16:53   #48
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Name:  Xylo3m5k.jpg
Views: 3794
Size:  314.7 KB

Its now been almost 6 months and 5300 kms that the Xylo has been a part of our family - and there are no major complaints or issues with it. Family drives (in and around town) have been really good and there are no arguments on who gets to sit in the front, middle or the last row - since each row has its own a/c vent. The Xylo has actually made our life and drive very simple

The car went for its first service to the Mahindra service center in Sewri. We did not want to leave the car so my brother took the car to the shop early morning so we could have it ready by afternoon. The following were the list of complaints / issues (minor ones) that we had ready for them :

Problem 1 : The ac flow through the front vents was not very powerful - it felt as if there was some restriction in the flow. You could feel the air a couple of inches away from the vent - but then it just disappeared into thin "air". It was worse when the passenger vents were opened. The cabin would cool eventually - but you couldnt feel the air hitting your face.
Update : This problem has been resolved and now the air flow is powerful even when the knob is turned to 2/3. The Service Advisor also told us that the vents in the back row are just blowers - nevertheless they do an excellent job in cooling the rear passengers. The best part is that the speed of the rear blowers does not affect the speed or flow of the dash vents.

Problem 2 : There was a squeaking sound from the passenger seat which was quite irritating.
Update : The culprit was identified as the passenger seatbelt bracket - which has been fixed by fitting some copper washers and now things are quiet on the inside.

Problem 3 : Low Mileage. We explained the SA about the low mileage (< 9 kmpl) that we were getting in the city.
Update : After the first service the mileage has improved a bit - 9.1 kmpl - well atleast it has crossed the 9 kmpl mark (this was the first full tank on 10th April after the first service)
Did a full tank again yesterday after the car had done 626 kms since 10th and the car consumed only 44.6 litres of fuel. I was shocked to see that figure - since it meant around 14 kmpl. No way the Xylo could have returned that kind of figure. Thats when I realised that a week ago - the car was tanked up at around 150 kms (without a reset). So doing the maths, we calculated the 44.6 litre consumption against 476 kms (626-150) - which resulted in a average of 10.6 kmpl. Thanks to the Mahindra Service team.
Name:  Mileage.jpg
Views: 3107
Size:  126.0 KB

Final Invoice :
Name:  Invoice.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  331.7 KB

Experience at the Sewri service station
My brother was completely satisfied with the overall experience at the service station. All of the above problems were fixed to our satisfaction. Although we were promised that the car would be serviced within a 3-4 hours - it actually took more than that. But thats perfectly understandable and they guys did a great job.

The only part that we were not very satisfied were with the car wash. Even though the car was given a wash post service, there were still grease marks and fingerprints over the body. This could be one area of improvement for the service center.

Overall it was a good experience - and as they say "First Impression is the last impression" - I can clearly say that we were impressed.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 10:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

v12 - so would you recommend Xylo for prospective family car buyers with 8 to 10L budget ?

Good to see another happy xyloman. Wishing you many and many more happy miles on your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

Its now been almost 6 months and 5300 kms that the Xylo has been a part of our family - and there are no major complaints or issues with it. Family drives (in and around town) have been really good and there are no arguments on who gets to sit in the front, middle or the last row - since each row has its own a/c vent. The Xylo has actually made our life and drive very simple

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2013 at 17:20. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 13:06   #50
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
v12 - so would you recommend Xylo for prospective family car buyers with 8 to 10L budget ?

Good to see another happy xyloman. Wishing you many and many more happy miles on your car.
Thanks Jacs,

I would definitely recommend a Xylo for family car buyers. But I would not expect anyone to go blindly by my recommendation - since their needs and requirements would be different from mine. Within the 8-10 lakhs range, you have a wide range of MUV's to choose from :

Nissan Evalia
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
Mahindra Xylo
Renault Duster
Chevrolet Enjoy (to be launched)
Chevrolet Tavera

For us - the Xylo offered the best space and VFM package - and thats the reason why we chose it.

We have a couple of Xylo owners on the forum - but very few ownership threads. And I dont see any thread on your Xylo Would be great if you could post a review as well.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jacs,

I would definitely recommend a Xylo for family car buyers. But I would not expect anyone to go blindly by my recommendation - since their needs and requirements would be different from mine. Within the 8-10 lakhs range, you have a wide range of MUV's to choose from :

Nissan Evalia
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
Mahindra Xylo
Renault Duster
Chevrolet Enjoy (to be launched)
Chevrolet Tavera

For us - the Xylo offered the best space and VFM package - and thats the reason why we chose it.

We have a couple of Xylo owners on the forum - but very few ownership threads. And I dont see any thread on your Xylo Would be great if you could post a review as well.
Yes v12, its in my "to do" list since some time. Couldnt manage some serious time to put things together. Its going to be 4 year old and the end of the warranty period. Planning to take it for a minor service and do any wanna be replacements without cost before expiry .
Old 29th April 2013, 14:16   #52
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1077989

Final Invoice :
Attachment 1077988

Experience at the Sewri service station
Why did they charge you for wind shield wash? Is not part of overall car wash?
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 14:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Why did they charge you for wind shield wash? Is not part of overall car wash?
rkg - It should be the Windshield Washing Liquid they add in the washer tank as it comes under parts. Incompleteness of the material code in billing system
Old 30th April 2013, 01:38   #54
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yes v12, its in my "to do" list since some time. Couldnt manage some serious time to put things together. Its going to be 4 year old and the end of the warranty period. Planning to take it for a minor service and do any wanna be replacements without cost before expiry .
4 years - that goes straight into the Long Term Ownership Reports. Eagerly waiting for a detailed report with and pics.

Anyways, 6 months is good enough time to give a detailed review on the driving experience. Will be posting it soon.....Happy Reading till then
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 02:24   #55
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Need some opinion in a cosmetic modification that we are planning for. We were thinking of blackening the roof - however not sure (1) whether to go for it or not since this may absorb more heat (especially in the summers) and (2) if we do go for it, do we go for a gloss finish, a matt finish or a CF finish.

I am more inclined towards a gloss finish (Pshopped image below). But would want opinions and suggestions :

1. What is the best material to be used for this?
2. Which is the best place to get this work done? I dont mind getting this done at a regular number plate guy - as long as the work is good (no air bubbles, no shoddy cuttings etc)
3. What would be the cost for this modification?
4. Will it cause too much heating in the summer?
Attached Images

Old 12th May 2013, 18:16   #56
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Name:  Xylodriving exp.jpg
Views: 3080
Size:  379.2 KB
If the Xylo's seating height was anymore higher - the BEST bus would have a good competition

Driving Experience Getting into the Xylo's driver seat actually requires a bit of an effort. You HAVE to climb in to get into the drivers seat - unlike other MUV's where you just walk in. The seating position is high and even a tall person would need to use the running board to get in. Getting into the passenger seat is a bit easier since you have a huge grab rail that you can use to haul yourself in.

Once seated in the drivers seat, you get a commanding view of the road ahead. You actually look down onto the road - rather than looking straight at it - the kind of feeling you would get when you are seated in a bus.
The view from the drivers seat
Name:  Xylodash.jpg
Views: 2623
Size:  210.6 KB

Driving the Xylo in the city

Even though this is a modern diesel engine (as per Mahindra standards), there is quite a obvious vibration during start, but then it settles down to a quite whirr. The NVH levels are quite decent and there is very little external noise / vibration intruding into the cabin.

Driving the Xylo in the city is fun (atleast for me) even though it is huge and difficult to maneuvre and park sometimes. If I was asked to describe the mEagle engine in just one word it would be "powerful". The engine is really powerful and touching 100kmph on city roads is not very difficult. Its also not a big stress to manage that power in bumper traffic. In slow moving traffic (or stop-go-stop), the clutch and brake (1st gear) are all that is needed to keep the Xylo rolling. Once the traffic clears, the 1st and 2nd gear would be useless since they are too short and you would soon need to shift to 3rd. The Xylo effortlessly picks up speed even on low revs. The engine is powerful enough to climb steep slopes effortlessly - Mount MAry (Bandra) and Khandala being the only 2 slopes that this one has seen so far.
Not exactly a steep slope (but didnt have a better pic)
Name:  Xyloslope.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  403.8 KB

I have heard a lot of the Xylo's "boat" like ride - but frankly speaking, I am yet to experience this effect. In the city, where you barely manage to touch even 40kmph and turns and corners being taken at a crawling speed - I dont think anyone will ever experience a body roll. Driving on the highway where you will be averaging 80-110 kmph on straights as well as turns is a different matter altogether (more on this later).

The only problem you will face while driving in the city is of judgement (specially if you do not have driving aids like a rear view camera, sensors or a friend to guide you). The huge windows give you a very good view of the situation outside the car - but the headrests at the rear combined with the thick D-pillar and the high window sill cause problems while reversing the car out of a parking lot or trying to get into a tight parking space (demonstrated here - 3 weeks / 774 kms later : Report on (In)Visibility and low mileage). Things are not very easy on the front too. The dealers offer you the complimentary rain visors which improve the looks - but do an equally good job of creating a blind corner. This is a problem which you will always face a at junctions or during U-turns, where it will be difficult to see coming off your RHS.

Blind spot
Name:  XyloAPillar.jpg
Views: 4725
Size:  356.3 KB

Coming to the suspension - the Xylo can handle rough roads like a piece of cake. Although the suspension will absorb the bumps very easily - the interiors (especially the dashboard) will ensure that you dont miss it. How? Hard bumps or khaddas as we call it send a loud thud or a judder to the dashboard - which is pretty scary and sometimes gives the feeling that the dashboard is gonna break. I am not sure what the problem could be - is it the way the dashboard is mounted onto the body OR is it because of the multi-peice dashboard. We never felt this thud in our Qualis - maybe because the Qualis had a single piece dashboard (or maybe because the Qualis was Japanese and better built).

Name:  Xylospeedbreaker.jpg
Views: 2512
Size:  413.9 KB

Takes the rough with the smooth - but also sends a loud message to the dashboard.
Name:  Xylobadroad.jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  401.0 KB

Driving on the highway

Driving the Xylo on the highway is really a breeze - its as if the Xylo was built for the highway. It picks up cruising speeds in no time and can cruise (Cruise Control - Mahindra, are you listening) on those speeds whole day long without a sweat. Whenever we drive on the highway / Eway, we never take our cars beyond 120 - irrespective of the car that we drive. Having owned a Toyota Qualis - it was always a struggle to touch 100-120 and then maintain those speeds - since it always ran out of power. With the Xylo its a different feeling - you can cruise at 100-120 with the knowledge that you still have a lot of BHP left in reserve (GOT BHP???).

Body Roll and Swings

The highway is where the "body roll" and "swings" come into the picture. On straight roads the Xylo stays planted to the road and things are very comfortable on the inside. Steep turns or sudden lane changes do cause the Xylo to roll and wallow a bit - but not to the extent that passngers will be thrown around the cabin. We have felt the same effect in our Qualis as well at high speeds - and its no different in the Xylo. Agreed that the effect is felt more in the Xylo due to its high stance and soft suspension. Personally I have not found this a big issue - but again thats me @ <120kmph

Finally the mileage @ 5699kms = 8.67. The low mileage is more because of the a/c being used when the car was standstill.
Name:  Xylo5699.jpg
Views: 2271
Size:  95.5 KB
Old 18th May 2013, 18:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi v12, you have a really great looking Xylo in Mist Silver ! A truly nice and detailed review, which should help others while deciding upon an MUV.

I am a highly satisfied owner of a Feb 2012 Xylo E4, it has so far been a truly amazing, zero niggle vehicle thus far in my 17,000 kms of ownership that has hitherto seen fun filled luxury trips from Bangalore to Mumbai, Udaipur in Rajasthan, Bhubaneswar and regular trips to the coastlines of Karnataka.

I have installed a silver sticker to cover the entire roof of my Java Brown Xylo for 1800 Rs. at my number plate guy's shop, just for giving it some new looks. It has cut down the heat absorption from the roof as well. In your case, I do feel that a matt finished black roofing might impose an additional load on the AC.

Wishing you many happy miles in your Xylo
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 20:55   #58
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi v12, you have a really great looking Xylo in Mist Silver ! A truly nice and detailed review, which should help others while deciding upon an MUV.

I am a highly satisfied owner of a Feb 2012 Xylo E4, it has so far been a truly amazing, zero niggle vehicle thus far in my 17,000 kms of ownership that has hitherto seen fun filled luxury trips from Bangalore to Mumbai, Udaipur in Rajasthan, Bhubaneswar and regular trips to the coastlines of Karnataka.

I have installed a silver sticker to cover the entire roof of my Java Brown Xylo for 1800 Rs. at my number plate guy's shop, just for giving it some new looks. It has cut down the heat absorption from the roof as well. In your case, I do feel that a matt finished black roofing might impose an additional load on the AC.

Wishing you many happy miles in your Xylo
Thanks Mooza! Would love to see pics of your Xylo along with an ownership report. Could you also post some pics of the roof section. I agree a black roof would absorb more heat and would make increase the cabin temperature. So we have cancelled the thought of blackening the roof.

Anyways coming to the cooling, this minor modification is something that I have always wanted to do in our Qualis - a rolling sunshade or a cabin partition. For 2 specific reasons - 1. to keep the car cool and avoid direct sunlight from getting into the cabin and 2. to prevent the a/c flow from going behind the front seats.

1. Reason 1 is fairly logical and straight-forward.

2. Reason 2 is something which I have realised while driving alone. 80% of my driving is within the city where I am the only one in the car. The Xylo a/c is powerful and really cools the cabin - but a lot of the cooling also gets blown away to the back - which is not needed since no one is sitting there. So I thought about creating a transparent partition which would prevent the cool air from flowing to the rear - and at the same time not hampering rear visibility.

At first we thought of just installing a plain transparent plastic sheet - but that would look very shabby and then there would be a problem of rolling it and storing it in the car. It would also tend to get dirty if it is placed under the seat.

Have ordered for 2 Speedwav Roller Sunshades - one for the rear window and the other to be used as a partition. Haven't yet figured out a way to install these - but one of the car accesory shops said that you will have to make holes in the roof to fit them. Anyone has any ideas on how these can be mounted without drilling holes? Any DIY links will be useful.

Name:  SDL781884354_1365166699_image1.jpg
Views: 2156
Size:  22.4 KB

Thanks!
Old 19th May 2013, 16:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mooza! Would love to see pics of your Xylo along with an ownership report. Could you also post some pics of the roof section. I agree a black roof would absorb more heat and would make increase the cabin temperature. So we have cancelled the thought of blackening the roof.
Well, v12, mine is the old model Xylo which I picked up just a couple of months before the facelifted Xylo was launched, so missed out on the contemporary good looks of the front grille.

I have put on some stickers on the front grille just for some effects again. Requesting all TBHP folks to give honest feedback on this, as I will remove this it if it is too offensive.

The Silver Roof sticker is seen too. This has helped the AC cool a bit better.

Name:  IMG_3633.JPG
Views: 2701
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3642.JPG
Views: 2044
Size:  127.9 KB

Good idea of yours regarding the partition screens, please do keep us posted

Last edited by mooza : 19th May 2013 at 16:32.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 00:21   #60
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Mooza, Thanks for the pics. Now for an Ownership review also

I love the Java Brown color on the Xylo, it really looks very elegant. The only problem that I have seen in this colored Xylo is that the paint starts looking very dull. So we decided against going for this color.

The silver roof does look good but am sure an off white color would have looked better.

Also with regards to the grille - it looks unique but because its only done in places - it looks like an incomplete job. How about putting a chrome grille or having the grille painted in body color - - or even better install the Quanto grille, which would seem to be a perfect fit.

Last edited by v12 : 20th May 2013 at 00:23.