Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 00:06   #226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 134
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Hello Guys
This is Prashant from Mumbai.
Planning to sell my amazing 2009 Linea and wish to go for a second hand Skoda Octavia or Superb, or a Volkswagen Jetta or Passat. Had planned to buy a second hand Octavia (new shape) or a Jetta but i am being tempted to buy a Passat as it is almost in the same price bracket (maybe a year older than a Jetta or Octavia).
But my query is, is it worth to buy a 2011-2012, 40k-60k done Passat? Would this be a good choice or is Passat to heavy to maintain compared to Octavia/Jetta?
Are there numerous issues in Passat? Is the DSG still giving problem? Is it good to (if i plan to) buy an automatic or should i stick to manual in Passat (or even in Jetta or Octavia)
Tooooooo confused, please help.
Thank you
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 00:17   #227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 134
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Hello Guys,

I have finalized and was about to pay money tomorrow for a December 2011 used Higline AT Passat. But with the experiences that everyone has posted i am really really worried.
These are the concerns that now I want to consider before going ahead and paying for the car.
1) The ABS sensor problem, (not cheap to change)
2) The non availability of parts
3) The average AC. Replacing the AC compressor.
4) Failing parts, expensive parts, overall expensive car to maintain.

I use a Fiat Linea and Ford ecosport. Though Linea has earned a bad name in market it has always been trouble free for its 1 Lakh kms of run, apart from suspension change at 50k kms. Ecosport is really easy to maintain with very reasonable spare parts.

I am super super super confused, kindly help.

Prashant
9819355590
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 14:21   #228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 338
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I have finalized and was about to pay money tomorrow for a December 2011 used Higline AT Passat. But with the experiences that everyone has posted i am really really worried.
These are the concerns that now I want to consider before going ahead and paying for the car.
1) The ABS sensor problem, (not cheap to change)
2) The non availability of parts
3) The average AC. Replacing the AC compressor.
4) Failing parts, expensive parts, overall expensive car to maintain.

I use a Fiat Linea and Ford ecosport. Though Linea has earned a bad name in market it has always been trouble free for its 1 Lakh kms of run, apart from suspension change at 50k kms. Ecosport is really easy to maintain with very reasonable spare parts.
Welcome to the Passat family!

Please find the answers' to your questions' below, in the same order.
  1. ABS Sensors - Check the car's service history to see if the ABS sensors have been changed before. I had faced this issue (multiple times) early into my ownership, but Volkswagen seem to have found a solution to this. I haven't had the sensors fail since the last time they were changed, over 2 - 3 years ago (atleast). If they haven't been changed, ask the dealer to provide some sort of assurance that they will do it free of cost (if required), since it is a known problem.
  2. Spare part availability - is not a problem through the dealer, but one has to wait quite a bit (also depends on what part it is) for them to arrive. But you can be assured that the dealer will get them for you. It is a headache to wait for the parts, but that is something one has to tolerate unfortunately since the Passat didn't sell too much and thus, the dealers' don't maintain a large stock of spare for the Passat. There are options for sourcing parts online, but since I'm not an expert, I refrain from ordering parts online.
  3. AC strength & maintenance - The cooling is good at the front and average at the rear. Not a major issue though. I had my AC repaired fairly recently. They replaced a few seals, pipes and refilled the gas (cost around 25 - 30 K, I think). They said I will eventually have to change my compressor (that will be expensive), but for now it is fine. Check if the car you are buying has had any work carried out on the AC. If they have replaced the necessary parts, then you needn't worry too much.
  4. Failing Parts - I haven't had any major part failure really (zero issues with the engine & transmission), apart from the ABS sensor & AC issue. If the car has been well taken care of, it should serve you reliably. To be on the safe side, read the service history of the car you are buying thoroughly. See what all maintenance (service, battery change, tyre change, AC repair, etc.) jobs have already been done and what is still pending/or may soon be required. Expensive Parts - Yes. Parts can be expensive. Maintenance Costs - Routine maintenance on the Passat isn't too bad. The car needs to be serviced only once a year or 15,000 kms (whichever is earlier). The approximate cost for each service can be found with the dealer, if you would like to get a more precise idea.

The Linea and Ecosport are really nice cars. However, maintaining them is much easier on the wallet as compared to the Passat. Spares for German cars are on the more expensive side and the Passat does belong to a higher & more expensive segment. If your car has been well maintained, then you will enjoy owning it. Ofcourse, it will be more expensive to own compared to the Ford & Fiat.

Hope this helps. Wishing you many happy miles in your new car!

Last edited by fordfreak : 8th November 2016 at 14:23.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 14:36   #229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 134
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Welcome to the Passat family!

Please find the answers' to your questions' below, in the same order.
  1. ABS Sensors - Check the car's service history to see if the ABS sensors have been changed before. I had faced this issue (multiple times) early into my ownership, but Volkswagen seem to have found a solution to this. I haven't had the sensors fail since the last time they were changed, over 2 - 3 years ago (atleast). If they haven't been changed, ask the dealer to provide some sort of assurance that they will do it free of cost (if required), since it is a known problem.
  2. Spare part availability - is not a problem through the dealer, but one has to wait quite a bit (also depends on what part it is) for them to arrive. But you can be assured that the dealer will get them for you. It is a headache to wait for the parts, but that is something one has to tolerate unfortunately since the Passat didn't sell too much and thus, the dealers' don't maintain a large stock of spare for the Passat. There are options for sourcing parts online, but since I'm not an expert, I refrain from ordering parts online.
  3. AC strength & maintenance - The cooling is good at the front and average at the rear. Not a major issue though. I had my AC repaired fairly recently. They replaced a few seals, pipes and refilled the gas (cost around 25 - 30 K, I think). They said I will eventually have to change my compressor (that will be expensive), but for now it is fine. Check if the car you are buying has had any work carried out on the AC. If they have replaced the necessary parts, then you needn't worry too much.
  4. Failing Parts - I haven't had any major part failure really (zero issues with the engine & transmission), apart from the ABS sensor & AC issue. If the car has been well taken care of, it should serve you reliably. To be on the safe side, read the service history of the car you are buying thoroughly. See what all maintenance (service, battery change, tyre change, AC repair, etc.) jobs have already been done and what is still pending/or may soon be required. Expensive Parts - Yes. Parts can be expensive. Maintenance Costs - Routine maintenance on the Passat isn't too bad. The car needs to be serviced only once a year or 15,000 kms (whichever is earlier). The approximate cost for each service can be found with the dealer, if you would like to get a more precise idea.

The Linea and Ecosport are really nice cars. However, maintaining them is much easier on the wallet as compared to the Passat. Spares for German cars are on the more expensive side and the Passat does belong to a higher & more expensive segment. If your car has been well maintained, then you will enjoy owning it. Ofcourse, it will be more expensive to own compared to the Ford & Fiat.

Hope this helps. Wishing you many happy miles in your new car!

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I am sure its a great car but my concern is that I am buying a 5 year old car. Once bought i would not want to keep going to the service centre. Having said that i can buy a newer car or a completely new car with that money, but the problem is that I am not liking cars other than New shape Octavia, Passat and if nothing works out then a Jetta, all in used market.

I guess i will get the car to the authorised service centre tomorrow and ask them to check every detail. They have some charges for it.

Will keep u all posted.

Once again thank you for your quick reply, this will help me a lot in taking a decision.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 14:19   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 338
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Update:-

With the ODO at 40,600-ish, I finally gave the car a well deserved present. Sent her to a renowned body-shop for a full paint and polish. Though the car was in good shape, it had picked up a number of small scratches all over. I instructed the body-shop to fix a couple of small dents and get rid of all the scratches, no matter how small they were.

I must say, they have done a fantastic job with the exteriors. However, while removing the 'Passat' emblem before painting, they managed to break it. They ordered a new one and will have it fixed shortly. The interior was given a polish, but the job done was shoddy. I pointed this out to them while collecting the car and they immediately instructed their polishing team to re-do the interior + exterior cleaning/polish. They sent their team to my residence within an hour of me collecting my car from them. That's what you call good service!

Just a couple of things I need to get done on the car, which I intend to have sorted out around the next service (Dec-2016).

Firstly, need to get new HS-number plates fixed. The current set is starting to look very battered. Spoils the look of the car IMO.

Secondly, one of the AC vents seems to have broken. I can adjust the air flow only in an up-down position. Kind of surprised how this has happened. Never in all my years of owning cars have I ever experienced a broken AC vent before!

Adding a few hurriedly clicked pictures of the car post-painting/polishing.

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_9115.jpg

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_9117.jpg

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_9116.jpg
fordfreak is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 17:52   #231
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 134
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Finally I have joined the Passat gang................
(Kindly ignore the crowd around the car)
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-passat.jpg  

Prash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:01   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 338
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Happy 5th Birthday!

It's hard to believe that 5 years have already flown by since we got the Passat. I still remember the experience of bringing her home on the 23rd of December, 2011. With just over 41,000 KMs on the ODO, the car still feels surprisingly fresh inside-out. As a birthday present for the car, I treated it to a much deserved paint & polish.

I got the annual service (5th year) carried out at the authorized dealer a couple of days ago. Though the car ran only about 8,000 KMs since it's last service, I insisted on getting it done as per schedule.

Apart from the normal service, I had asked them to check the following issues in the car:-
  • Front-left door would not open from the inside.
  • Creaking noises from the rear of the car while driving.
  • Fix the broken AC vent (left one on the centre vents).
  • Fix the broken 'Passat' monogram on the boot.
  • Fall in fuel economy.
The door is now functioning fine. The noises at the rear haven't gone away, but I doubt they can be solved. I think they may be due to the repairs carried out when the car had been hit from behind. I told them not to fix the AC vent as they were quoting Rs.9,500 for a new vent! As it stands, the broken vent is neither noticeable nor is it causing any problem with directing the airflow, so I let that be for now. They have ordered the 'Passat' monogram and will call me after 10 days, once they have received it. The car seems to be driving much smoother after the service and the MID also shows the fuel economy to have improved. Will wait and watch for a couple of more fill-ups to judge this.

Overall the service experience was fine. The service adviser was the same who looked after my car a few times, so he knew how particular I am about the work being done on the car. I would rate this visit as a positive one. Hopefully the dealer will keep this positive streak going.

A couple of other updates:-

Keeping a car scratch-less seems to be like Mission Impossible in Kolkata. I managed it for about a month before it got dinged again. An auto in front of us braked for a speed breaker, forcing us to stop. Heard a thud about 3 seconds later to see a helmet-less biker sprawled on the road behind my car. He was a young kid riding a bike which seemed to be pathetically maintained. Before we could even get out to check the damage, he had picked up his battered bike and fled. All I could do was stand and curse him under my breath. Thankfully, the damage was limited to a small gash on the rear bumper that isn't very noticeable. Nothing to do but grin and bear.

Got the tax and insurance renewed on the car. We opted for life-time tax rather than the 5-year option since this would help sell the car at a better price, whenever we decide to sell it. We also went with bumper-to-bumper coverage, as it ensures peace of mind (I speak from experience ).

As for the Diesel-gate issue, I am still waiting to hear from Volkswagen or the dealer regarding the software update for the 2.0 TDi engine. During the service, I asked the adviser about the update but he wasn't aware of when it would be done on the Passat. He confirmed that they have started carrying out the software update on the Jetta (as can be confirmed by fellow member's posts on the Jetta-related threads). I guess I'll just have to wait and watch as to when VW wake up and share any update.

Looking back at these 5 years, I have learnt a great deal more about all car related things through all the advice and opinions that I have read on T-BHP. This has been priceless when comes to analyzing a car-related problem rather than blindly following what the service chaps tell you. I want to take this opportunity to wish all fellow members' a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Last edited by fordfreak : 23rd December 2016 at 12:08.
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 16:59   #233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 338
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

So a day after my last update, this happened.

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_0508.jpg

My driver had gone to deliver something to a relative's place and parked the car on the road outside their building. When he came back to the car, he found this. The offending vehicle was apparently a Tata Ace or something similar (according to a near-by tea stall owner). Clearly, the guy didn't stick around to apologize.

I've asked my trusted body-shop for a quote, but won't be claiming insurance for this. Will get the car fixed up sometime next week. Nothing more I can do unfortunately. The only silver lining here, is that the dent isn't too big. Nor is it on an area where it would be more prominent. Had the car been hit on say, the door, then the results would have been much worse.

How I feel right now:

What would I do to the offender:
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 20:25   #234
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 90
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quick update on my Passat

Had done the regular oil service - INR 14K ,(ODO - 30K Km) At the same time, inquired about the fix for the emission problems. My car came under the scheme and it was done. Got a free car care kit with VW branded items .

Some parts are to be replaced - Front suspension Lower arm & bushes , rear brake pads. Items ordered from VW parts - 10 days and waiting. Paid an advance as well.

Driving experience after the fix - no noticeable difference in engine pickup or drive. fuel economy almost same (around 12.5 / 13 KM PL) in city driving. Makes me wonder, was there a fix at all?
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 21:10   #235
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,369
Thanked: 468 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Driving experience after the fix - no noticeable difference in engine pickup or drive. fuel economy almost same (around 12.5 / 13 KM PL) in city driving. Makes me wonder, was there a fix at all?
I think the general results of the fix leave the lower end of the powerband unaffected and this is where the car spends most of its time. This is what most owners have reported.

You will likely feel some power loss if you rev it hard.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 13:40   #236
BHPian
 
musclecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Hi Guys, I also bought a 2013 reg. Passat after reading through the reviews here. It was owned by VW itslef and was in immaculate condition. I have been using it from last 2 months plus. Love everything about the car but the ride is very Bubbly (bouncy) got the air pressure checked too. But somehow I feel the ride is still bouncy. Anyone has faced similar issue? Need some advice here, is it a suspension issue or something else??

Thanks
Attached Images
 

Last edited by musclecar : 6th February 2017 at 13:52. Reason: Including the photo of my car.
musclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:33   #237
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 338
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Software update:-

Got the software update done for the emissions recall issued by VW. I don't feel any difference in the car's performance post-update, thankfully. I was told that the job would take a maximum of 3 hours, but they ended up keeping the car for about 4 hours. On the plus side, they cleaned the car well before returning it. As is known, this work was done without any charge to the customer (me).

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_1654.jpg
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_1653.jpg

They gave a nice car care kit as a gift after they completed the work. Pretty nice, especially since I had been planning on buying a few cleaning products for my cars.

Racked up 42,500 KMs on the ODO and no major issues to report. I will be sending my car to the body shop to have the dent on the RHS wheel arch repaired sometime next week. Also noticed that the auto-up/down function has stopped working on the left-rear window. This is something I'll just live with for now since the window still works.

musclecar - Congratulations on your car! What tyre pressure do you maintain? Over-inflating the tyres can cause the ride to be bouncy. I maintain 35 Psi and don't have this issue on my car. Try different pressures to see which you are comfortable with (just don't under-inflate the tyre) or else take it to the workshop for a check-up.

Last edited by fordfreak : 8th February 2017 at 11:39.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:44   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,528
Thanked: 1,945 Times
Default

Have you driven the car on the highway post the update? Try accelerating above 90-100kph and see how the car performes, Thats the bracket where i felt the car had lost immense power, Below 100 the car was just like before.
Tanveer_2558 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 12:53   #239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 338
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Have you driven the car on the highway post the update? Try accelerating above 90-100kph and see how the car performes, Thats the bracket where i felt the car had lost immense power, Below 100 the car was just like before.
Haven't had a chance to drive at highway speeds after the update. I will try driving it in both 'D' and 'S' mode to see how much of a difference there is. Will write back after that. I hope it doesn't feel horribly sluggish. However my usage is pretty much restricted to city traffic with a couple of airport runs every month. So hopefully, this won't trouble me much.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 15:08   #240
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

I have also got an email asking me to bring my Passat for an update. I replied to them asking for details of engine power/torque curves before and after the software update. No reply from them till date.

Meanwhile, my battery is on its last legs - need to replace the same very soon. The OEM battery is 15k+ whereas an Amaron is <8k. Has anyone swapped batteries in their Passat? Suggestions welcome
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home graaja Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 342 30th September 2017 12:01
Rene - The '13 Silver VW Vento 1.6 TDi Highline comes home! rahulsingh007 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 48 21st April 2014 01:11
VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !! Ricky_63 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 153 8th April 2014 20:15
Finally, the red beauty comes home, yes, it’s a VW Polo - Highline Laxminarayan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 21st July 2010 15:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks