Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st November 2016, 00:06   #226
BHPian

Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Hello Guys
This is Prashant from Mumbai.
Planning to sell my amazing 2009 Linea and wish to go for a second hand Skoda Octavia or Superb, or a Volkswagen Jetta or Passat. Had planned to buy a second hand Octavia (new shape) or a Jetta but i am being tempted to buy a Passat as it is almost in the same price bracket (maybe a year older than a Jetta or Octavia).
But my query is, is it worth to buy a 2011-2012, 40k-60k done Passat? Would this be a good choice or is Passat to heavy to maintain compared to Octavia/Jetta?
Are there numerous issues in Passat? Is the DSG still giving problem? Is it good to (if i plan to) buy an automatic or should i stick to manual in Passat (or even in Jetta or Octavia)
Tooooooo confused, please help.
Thank you
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 00:17   #227
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have finalized and was about to pay money tomorrow for a December 2011 used Higline AT Passat. But with the experiences that everyone has posted i am really really worried.
These are the concerns that now I want to consider before going ahead and paying for the car.
1) The ABS sensor problem, (not cheap to change)
2) The non availability of parts
3) The average AC. Replacing the AC compressor.
4) Failing parts, expensive parts, overall expensive car to maintain.

I use a Fiat Linea and Ford ecosport. Though Linea has earned a bad name in market it has always been trouble free for its 1 Lakh kms of run, apart from suspension change at 50k kms. Ecosport is really easy to maintain with very reasonable spare parts.

I am super super super confused, kindly help.

Prashant
Old 8th November 2016, 14:21   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I have finalized and was about to pay money tomorrow for a December 2011 used Higline AT Passat. But with the experiences that everyone has posted i am really really worried.
These are the concerns that now I want to consider before going ahead and paying for the car.
1) The ABS sensor problem, (not cheap to change)
2) The non availability of parts
3) The average AC. Replacing the AC compressor.
4) Failing parts, expensive parts, overall expensive car to maintain.

I use a Fiat Linea and Ford ecosport. Though Linea has earned a bad name in market it has always been trouble free for its 1 Lakh kms of run, apart from suspension change at 50k kms. Ecosport is really easy to maintain with very reasonable spare parts.
Welcome to the Passat family!

Please find the answers' to your questions' below, in the same order.
  1. ABS Sensors - Check the car's service history to see if the ABS sensors have been changed before. I had faced this issue (multiple times) early into my ownership, but Volkswagen seem to have found a solution to this. I haven't had the sensors fail since the last time they were changed, over 2 - 3 years ago (atleast). If they haven't been changed, ask the dealer to provide some sort of assurance that they will do it free of cost (if required), since it is a known problem.
  2. Spare part availability - is not a problem through the dealer, but one has to wait quite a bit (also depends on what part it is) for them to arrive. But you can be assured that the dealer will get them for you. It is a headache to wait for the parts, but that is something one has to tolerate unfortunately since the Passat didn't sell too much and thus, the dealers' don't maintain a large stock of spare for the Passat. There are options for sourcing parts online, but since I'm not an expert, I refrain from ordering parts online.
  3. AC strength & maintenance - The cooling is good at the front and average at the rear. Not a major issue though. I had my AC repaired fairly recently. They replaced a few seals, pipes and refilled the gas (cost around 25 - 30 K, I think). They said I will eventually have to change my compressor (that will be expensive), but for now it is fine. Check if the car you are buying has had any work carried out on the AC. If they have replaced the necessary parts, then you needn't worry too much.
  4. Failing Parts - I haven't had any major part failure really (zero issues with the engine & transmission), apart from the ABS sensor & AC issue. If the car has been well taken care of, it should serve you reliably. To be on the safe side, read the service history of the car you are buying thoroughly. See what all maintenance (service, battery change, tyre change, AC repair, etc.) jobs have already been done and what is still pending/or may soon be required. Expensive Parts - Yes. Parts can be expensive. Maintenance Costs - Routine maintenance on the Passat isn't too bad. The car needs to be serviced only once a year or 15,000 kms (whichever is earlier). The approximate cost for each service can be found with the dealer, if you would like to get a more precise idea.

The Linea and Ecosport are really nice cars. However, maintaining them is much easier on the wallet as compared to the Passat. Spares for German cars are on the more expensive side and the Passat does belong to a higher & more expensive segment. If your car has been well maintained, then you will enjoy owning it. Ofcourse, it will be more expensive to own compared to the Ford & Fiat.

Hope this helps. Wishing you many happy miles in your new car!

Last edited by fordfreak : 8th November 2016 at 14:23.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 14:36   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Welcome to the Passat family!

Please find the answers' to your questions' below, in the same order.
  1. ABS Sensors - Check the car's service history to see if the ABS sensors have been changed before. I had faced this issue (multiple times) early into my ownership, but Volkswagen seem to have found a solution to this. I haven't had the sensors fail since the last time they were changed, over 2 - 3 years ago (atleast). If they haven't been changed, ask the dealer to provide some sort of assurance that they will do it free of cost (if required), since it is a known problem.
  2. Spare part availability - is not a problem through the dealer, but one has to wait quite a bit (also depends on what part it is) for them to arrive. But you can be assured that the dealer will get them for you. It is a headache to wait for the parts, but that is something one has to tolerate unfortunately since the Passat didn't sell too much and thus, the dealers' don't maintain a large stock of spare for the Passat. There are options for sourcing parts online, but since I'm not an expert, I refrain from ordering parts online.
  3. AC strength & maintenance - The cooling is good at the front and average at the rear. Not a major issue though. I had my AC repaired fairly recently. They replaced a few seals, pipes and refilled the gas (cost around 25 - 30 K, I think). They said I will eventually have to change my compressor (that will be expensive), but for now it is fine. Check if the car you are buying has had any work carried out on the AC. If they have replaced the necessary parts, then you needn't worry too much.
  4. Failing Parts - I haven't had any major part failure really (zero issues with the engine & transmission), apart from the ABS sensor & AC issue. If the car has been well taken care of, it should serve you reliably. To be on the safe side, read the service history of the car you are buying thoroughly. See what all maintenance (service, battery change, tyre change, AC repair, etc.) jobs have already been done and what is still pending/or may soon be required. Expensive Parts - Yes. Parts can be expensive. Maintenance Costs - Routine maintenance on the Passat isn't too bad. The car needs to be serviced only once a year or 15,000 kms (whichever is earlier). The approximate cost for each service can be found with the dealer, if you would like to get a more precise idea.

The Linea and Ecosport are really nice cars. However, maintaining them is much easier on the wallet as compared to the Passat. Spares for German cars are on the more expensive side and the Passat does belong to a higher & more expensive segment. If your car has been well maintained, then you will enjoy owning it. Ofcourse, it will be more expensive to own compared to the Ford & Fiat.

Hope this helps. Wishing you many happy miles in your new car!

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I am sure its a great car but my concern is that I am buying a 5 year old car. Once bought i would not want to keep going to the service centre. Having said that i can buy a newer car or a completely new car with that money, but the problem is that I am not liking cars other than New shape Octavia, Passat and if nothing works out then a Jetta, all in used market.

I guess i will get the car to the authorised service centre tomorrow and ask them to check every detail. They have some charges for it.

Will keep u all posted.

Once again thank you for your quick reply, this will help me a lot in taking a decision.
Old 11th November 2016, 14:19   #230
BHPian

Update:-

With the ODO at 40,600-ish, I finally gave the car a well deserved present. Sent her to a renowned body-shop for a full paint and polish. Though the car was in good shape, it had picked up a number of small scratches all over. I instructed the body-shop to fix a couple of small dents and get rid of all the scratches, no matter how small they were.

I must say, they have done a fantastic job with the exteriors. However, while removing the 'Passat' emblem before painting, they managed to break it. They ordered a new one and will have it fixed shortly. The interior was given a polish, but the job done was shoddy. I pointed this out to them while collecting the car and they immediately instructed their polishing team to re-do the interior + exterior cleaning/polish. They sent their team to my residence within an hour of me collecting my car from them. That's what you call good service!

Just a couple of things I need to get done on the car, which I intend to have sorted out around the next service (Dec-2016).

Firstly, need to get new HS-number plates fixed. The current set is starting to look very battered. Spoils the look of the car IMO.

Secondly, one of the AC vents seems to have broken. I can adjust the air flow only in an up-down position. Kind of surprised how this has happened. Never in all my years of owning cars have I ever experienced a broken AC vent before!

Adding a few hurriedly clicked pictures of the car post-painting/polishing.

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_9115.jpg

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_9117.jpg

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-img_9116.jpg
fordfreak is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 17:52   #231
BHPian

Finally I have joined the Passat gang................
(Kindly ignore the crowd around the car)
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!-passat.jpg