Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 14:11   #256
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 357
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
The message stopped showing, but after a month or so now, the message has reappeared. I now wonder what the problem is. If you would know what the problem is.
Try changing the batteries in both your remotes. Also, note the manufacturing date of the new batteries. One month is too short a life for a battery, unless it has a manufacturing defect or has been lying around for way too long. I would suggest that you change the battery on both remotes and see if this happens again.

I have been advised to rotate my remotes to keep both in usage. Apparently this ensures the spare remote's battery does not die. Hence, I've started using each remote in alternate months.

Coincidentally, I have been getting the battery warning messages when using my primary remote. Time for me to change the battery too.

Hope this helps!
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 08:37   #257
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

My car is spending its customary 1 week period in workshop now. Saw a water leak from the windshield and the cause was identified as rubber sealant on the edges of the glass getting loose. This job is completed.

I was having long running problems with the auto rain sensing wiper function as well as intermittent wiper timing issues. While these are not really big problems, decided to check it out at the service center. Sensors are fine , they are suspecting a wire cut or something in the roof .

Roof lining will need to be torn apart and inspected. I decided to go ahead because the lining has started to sag in places and it would be replaced by a new cloth. replacement of original lining with new foam will cost upwards of 40K and has to be imported from Germany. This is a cheaper option (about 12-13K). Hoping to get this problem sorted out.
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 12:29   #258
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

For my car, roof lining was replaced, Rain sensor also wasn't working and it was replaced. Everything was working OK for the past 15 days . In the heavy rains in Chennai, Auto wipers and intermitttent wipers worked great. But today morning, I found that the A/c and fan are not working. There is no air flow. Not sure what is the problem. There is no radiator leak or anything. Tried switching off and on a few times. No error in the MID also.
Will observe for a day and then call the service center.
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 12:44   #259
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,959
Thanked: 10,027 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
For my car, roof lining was replaced, Rain sensor also wasn't working and it was replaced. Everything was working OK for the past 15 days . In the heavy rains in Chennai, Auto wipers and intermitttent wipers worked great. But today morning, I found that the A/c and fan are not working. There is no air flow. Not sure what is the problem. There is no radiator leak or anything. Tried switching off and on a few times. No error in the MID also.
Will observe for a day and then call the service center.
Your cabin filter might be clogged or sodden
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 12:29   #260
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 357
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Update:-

Its been a while since I updated the thread. I've racked up around 47,800ish KMs on the ODO as of today. All issues reported in my last post had been solved, but as it seems to be the trend, something new has cropped up.

When I start the car for the first time in the day, it usually cranks on the first attempt. The engine sounds as if it is struggling to wake up, but it does so on the first go. However, if I try starting the car once the engine has come up to temperature, the car struggles to start. It sometimes takes 7-8 attempts to get the engine started and sometimes it comes alive after 1-2 attempts.

I don't think it is a battery issue, as the other electricals would have been affected too. Any idea what could be causing this? I would like to have some ideas before I send the car to the dealer for diagnosis.

Lastly, does anyone have an idea about how long the shock-absorbers on the Passat usually last? My front suspension has started thudding a little more than before when driving over rough surfaces.

Apart from this, the car drives just fine. There is no lack of power or any other abnormality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Will observe for a day and then call the service center.
Do let us know if your AC issue got fixed and what was the cause of the problem.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 13:28   #261
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,959
Thanked: 10,027 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Update:-

When I start the car for the first time in the day, it usually cranks on the first attempt. The engine sounds as if it is struggling to wake up, but it does so on the first go. However, if I try starting the car once the engine has come up to temperature, the car struggles to start. It sometimes takes 7-8 attempts to get the engine started and sometimes it comes alive after 1-2 attempts.


Apart from this, the car drives just fine. There is no lack of power or any other abnormality.


.
Might be the glow plugs are getting less effective
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 15:31   #262
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Update:-

Its been a while since I updated the thread. I've racked up around 47,800ish KMs on the ODO as of today. All issues reported in my last post had been solved, but as it seems to be the trend, something new has cropped up.

When I start the car for the first time in the day, it usually cranks on the first attempt. The engine sounds as if it is struggling to wake up, but it does so on the first go. However, if I try starting the car once the engine has come up to temperature, the car struggles to start. It sometimes takes 7-8 attempts to get the engine started and sometimes it comes alive after 1-2 attempts.

I don't think it is a battery issue, as the other electricals would have been affected too. Any idea what could be causing this? I would like to have some ideas before I send the car to the dealer for diagnosis.

Lastly, does anyone have an idea about how long the shock-absorbers on the Passat usually last? My front suspension has started thudding a little more than before when driving over rough surfaces.

Apart from this, the car drives just fine. There is no lack of power or any other abnormality.



Do let us know if your AC issue got fixed and what was the cause of the problem.
A/c problem diagnosed to be due to blower dysfunctional. All other components are ok - compressor , thermal sensors and wires. No Gas leak either. I am looking at a bill upwards of 20K and another 1 week more in the workshop- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif.

when it works, it runs like a dream, But when there are issues, it is really frustrating.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 12:29   #263
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 357
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

I recorded the below video after a 12 KM drive. Turned off the ignition and tried starting the car after waiting for about a minute. The results can be seen in the video. I was using the push-button to start the car and didn't have the key inserted into the slot (not that this should make any difference as I understand).

My annual service is coming up next month. Will get this looked into during that visit. I just hope I don't have to leave the car there for too long and more importantly, they diagnose the problem correctly.

Please excuse the video quality. I don't know why it becomes hazy when I upload it onto YouTube.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 12:46   #264
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,959
Thanked: 10,027 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Judging by the way, the lights are blcking out, either the battery is flat or the glow plugs/starter is taking too much current
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 19:19   #265
BHPian
 
Immix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Update:-
When I start the car for the first time in the day, it usually cranks on the first attempt. The engine sounds as if it is struggling to wake up, but it does so on the first go. However, if I try starting the car once the engine has come up to temperature, the car struggles to start. It sometimes takes 7-8 attempts to get the engine started and sometimes it comes alive after 1-2 attempts.

I don't think it is a battery issue, as the other electricals would have been affected too. Any idea what could be causing this? I would like to have some ideas before I send the car to the dealer for diagnosis.
I had exactly the same issue with my Jetta a few months ago. I shared my experience in this thread (Link (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review)).

Basically it was the aftermarket battery installed in my car that was causing the issue. And apparently because of this aftermarket battery, my starter and flywheel have already started to deteriorate. This is what the VW service centre told me and I agree because once in a while (maybe once in 2 weeks or so) even with the brand new OEM battery, the car doesn't start in first try after the car has run for a few kms and the engine is still hot.
Immix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 13:49   #266
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

I am facing exactly the same problem. I hope you find a solution and update me/us please.

Thanks
Prashant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I recorded the below video after a 12 KM drive. Turned off the ignition and tried starting the car after waiting for about a minute. The results can be seen in the video. I was using the push-button to start the car and didn't have the key inserted into the slot (not that this should make any difference as I understand).

My annual service is coming up next month. Will get this looked into during that visit. I just hope I don't have to leave the car there for too long and more importantly, they diagnose the problem correctly.
Please excuse the video quality. I don't know why it becomes hazy when I upload it onto YouTube.

Last edited by SDP : 17th November 2017 at 14:00. Reason: removing video link from the quote for better readability
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 15:02   #267
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 357
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Update:-

Just a quick update regarding the points mentioned in my previous post.

I had sent the car to the authorized workshop yesterday (12th Dec.) for sorting out the starting issue as well as it's annual service. Apart from that, I had asked them to look into a rattling noise inside the cabin (from somewhere around the LHS B-Pillar/ LH Front door) and also to fix the boot (it wasn't opening all the way up on its own).

They carried out the service and didn't bother putting in much effort for the other two issues. The SA couldn't find any error sources apparently, even though he had personally witnessed the car's abnormal starting behavior. He guessed that the starter may be getting worn out, but said that we need not replace it yet (did he forget that the car struggles to start??!!). I had to repeatedly tell him to examine the car further before he agreed!

Secondly, I had asked him to sort out the boot opening issue; to which he told me that the boot was opening. I repeated that I knew it was opening, but it wasn't going all the way up on it's own like it used to. Mind you, I had clearly explained everything to him over the phone when the car was handed over. He checked it once again and changed the struts on the boot, which has hopefully solved the problem.

Finally after keeping the car an extra day, it is being returned today after completing the service, replacing the boot struts and cleaning up the starter (??). The car is on it's way back as I type this. Let's see how much of a difference the work has made.

I have been advised to drive the car for a week and see if the issue still persists. Only thing clear for now is that the battery is not the cause, as it was found to be in good order.

Total expense for this visit was a little over Rs 22K. Will post an update after observing the car for a few days.

Last edited by fordfreak : 13th December 2017 at 15:03.
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 16:59   #268
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 357
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Update:-

Done a little over 1,000 KMs since I got the car back. Thankfully, it seems that the starting problems have been solved for now. As I understand, the starter motor was the culprit in my car's case. They serviced it and put it back on. I don't think they have changed anything with it.

Hope this is of some help to the forum members who had asked me about the issue + solution (though the causes for such an issue are multiple).

My only gripe for now is that I no longer have a working automatic rear sunshade. While the mechanism works just fine, the rail/hook/bracket (whatever you want to call it) is damaged. As per the SA, it is not available as a child part and therefore the whole mechanism needs to be changed - Rs.50,000 approximately!

As of now, the car is approaching the 50K mark on the ODO with no other gremlins to report. Other than that I've had a couple of follow-up calls + emails from the service center apologizing for the not totally satisfactory service. I guess I'm happy that they seem to have solved the problem, but wish I didn't have to push the SA so much.

Next update after crossing 50K. Cheers!
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 13:35   #269
BHPian
 
baskar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Hi Ford freak,

My car has hit the same reverse camera issue. 42K is the estimated cost. For no apparent reason, there is some water damage.

Same issue of rear sunshade also for my car. The hook/clip is so fragile that a few times usage can break it apart. Are you planning any jugaad work to at least use it as a manual sunshade? 50K for this is ridiculous price. They will have to tear apart the rear and side trims to fix the sunshade. We can't be sure of the quality of re-fixing the lining again by the VW service technicians.

Bit of coincidence that our cars are hitting the same problems in nearly identical ODO readings.

My car is now under annual service.

Will update after getting it back.
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 11:31   #270
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Update:-

'As I understand, the starter motor was the culprit in my car's case. They serviced it and put it back on.'
Hello, thanks for the update. Would you be able to please share the cost that they took to service the starter motor.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home graaja Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 343 19th January 2018 00:56
Rene - The '13 Silver VW Vento 1.6 TDi Highline comes home! rahulsingh007 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 48 21st April 2014 01:11
VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !! Ricky_63 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 153 8th April 2014 20:15
Finally, the red beauty comes home, yes, itís a VW Polo - Highline Laxminarayan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 21st July 2010 15:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:57.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks