Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th November 2014, 13:19   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Aria Pride 4x4: Owner's pain & frustration. EDIT: Saves 3 lives in an accide

Wow. Read this thread is one go. First and foremost, glad to hear that everyone is safe. That's important.

Learning for me is that Tata cars are not as bad as they are made out to be. While your experience on the service was bad, the overall safety of the vehicle paid up and more for all that.

What stumps me is your Reliance Insurance experience. I have never been a fan of Reliance products anyways (any product for that matter). An Insurance company is supposed to help out customers when they are most needed. The whole ethos of Insurance rests on this simple principle. Hurts to see to what lenght companies go to save money. I can assure you that I am not buying a Reliance Insurance even if I get a 50% discount on their premium. I am happy to provide hundreds of documents before I buy the insurance. Its not my buying experience that matters to me but the claim experience, if and when needed.

Hope this gets resolved positively for you. Maybe it will help to meet up with some senior guys in the organisation. Sometimes the lower management folks work like shortsighted dimwits as they have no overall alignment to the company strategy. It might even help strenghten your case, in case this has to go to the courts.
ptushar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 14:28   #122
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Aria Pride 4x4: Owner's pain & frustration. EDIT: Saves 3 lives in an accide

Good to know that everyone is safe after the accident.

When I started reading this thread, I was just shocked to see the number of issues that you were facing with the car. What a nightmare it must have been for you! If I were you, I would have probably given up and sold the car when I noticed so many issues popping up.

I too have had minor issues with Reliance Insurance in the past and I have found them to make the tiniest of excuses to avoid a claim settlement. Hopefully there wont be any further complications and things get sorted out for you soon.
trailblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 01:26   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Actually, the answer to this is - it depends on the standard used to manufacture the automobile.

The standards in the US and Europe are different for airbag deployment.

In the US, airbags are bigger based on the assumption that the occupants are not wearing seatbelts. In Europe the airbags are based on the assumption that the occupants are wearing them. Since India does not have airbag specific legislation, I am unsure if there is a standard. I think the American standard is best suited to India because of the poor adherence to the law requiring people to wear seatbelts.
That is incorrect information. Seat belts are mandatory in the US and compliance is nearly universal.
Lobogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 01:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
That is incorrect information. Seat belts are mandatory in the US and compliance is nearly universal.
Of course seat belts are mandatory and yes compliance is nearly universal - I did not state otherwise.

The point about the difference in airbags is correct, though.

"In 1998, FMVSS 208 was amended to require dual front airbags, and de-powered, or second-generation airbags were also mandated. This was due to the injuries caused by first-generation airbags, though FMVSS 208 continues to require that bags be engineered and calibrated to be able to "save" the life of an unbelted 50th-percentile size and weight "male" crash test dummy. -

Outside the U.S.A.

Most countries outside North America adhere to internationalized European ECE vehicle and equipment regulations rather than the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. ECE airbags are generally smaller and inflate less forcefully than U.S. airbags, because the ECE specifications are based on belted crash test dummies." Source - http://carcynic.com/archives/00000006.html

Am sure if you look it up, you will find plenty of other sources too.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 05:26   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
The Reliance Okhla office provided me with a copy of form 54 which reads that DL no (my fathers DL no say 12345) is not issued in the name of Mr XYZ son of Mr ABC. Now Mr XYZ's & Mr ABC's spells are similar (but not same) as that of my father and Grand father respectively. I took the copy of form 54 to the ARTO who most happily on the same form verified that the DL no 12345 is issued in the name of my father. Even with this verification the Grievance cell in Mumbai refused my claim. The RTI act proved benificial in my case. There is no way the Insurance company can refuse to accept the RTI reply. I am ready to fight a long legal battle. The legal notices for the same have already been prepared. I am not the person to let go my hard earned money that easily for fear of long litigation. Lets see how things turn up now and how much they offer as settlement price.
My very best wishes in your fight.

I just realized my only life insurance is with Reliance Life insurance.

I knew Reliance isnt great but I didn't know Reliance would be such complete jerks when it comes to claims settlement. I need to get another life insurance - my family's security blanket should not be dependent on such jerks.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 07:24   #126
Senior - BHPian

Try the consumer court. Escalate the matter stating the insurance company is not responding even after a complaint to the ombudsman.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 16:39   #127
BHPian

I was in negotiations with the Reliance at their Okhla Office. A new surveyor was appointed and he gave approval for Repair of vehicle last week. He has asked the body shop manager to start dismantling the vehicle for repairs. Since my claim was initially denied i have requested the surveyor to submit a letter of approval for repair of vehicle. Hopefully i will get it in a day.
bravo82in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 09:21   #128
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Aria Pride 4x4: Owner's pain & frustration. EDIT: Saves 3 lives in an accident!

Road to recovery is never that easy. Despite the surveyor's approval for repairs the workshop delayed the process till workshop manager got it in writing. Finally parts were ordered in Mid jan and repair process started. I was informed that there was a fire in Tatas Pune warehouse in December 2014 hence there is a delay in availability of parts.

1. The Chassis issue

There was a bend in the chassis. The surveyor permitted for repairs and three months warranty on the repair work. The workshop manager said its an outside job and not recommended by Tata motors. Further the vehicle is in extended warranty hence any repair work done to chassis will void all related warranty issues. Then the endless process of emails to the reliance customer care and replies and after a delay of 4 weeks reliance finally allowed replacement of chassis.

2. The Engine issue

There was damage to the injectors. The workshop informed that one of the pistons was broken and some damage to the block. Repair was carried out and following parts were replaced

1.CRANCKASE

2.piston

3.h l a(16)

4. engine o/h kit

5.piston ring set

6.injector(4)

7.d kit

8.heater plug(4)

9.water pump

10.oil pump

11.camshaft

12.head gasket

13. clutch set

The surveyor says the damage is consequential arising out of seizing of engine hence not covered under insurances. Rest of the parts such as clutch etc are consumable also not covered under insurance. I fail to understand the reason for engine seizing. There was no damage to the chamber and hence no leaking of oil. With such an extensive damage it is impossible for the engine to remain running for more than a few seconds. Being a non-technical person i request the gurus here to answer these queries

1.Is it really possible for the engine to remain running and end up as seized?
2.What are the signs that the damage is due to seized engine?
3. Can there be a damage to the piston due to impact without any external damaged?
4. How do i get a second opinion on this? Is there a way out other than the legal route?

I am willing bear the expenses if the damage is consequential but want to be doubly sure.

One more thing i need to know, what constitutes total damage? Is it the total repair bill exceeds 75% of value of vehicle or insurance company liability exceeds 75%. In my case the IDV was Rs 11,60,000 and 75% comes to Rs 8,70,000.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 14:59   #129
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Aria Pride 4x4: Owner's pain & frustration. EDIT: Saves 3 lives in an accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
One more thing i need to know, what constitutes total damage? Is it the total repair bill exceeds 75% of value of vehicle or insurance company liability exceeds 75%. In my case the IDV was Rs 11,60,000 and 75% comes to Rs 8,70,000.
From what I have seen, Insurance co usually declares a vehicle Total loss if the repair estimate crosses 75% of the IDV. Here is what ICICI Lombard says -
Quote:
IDV is the maximum amount that insurance company will pay in case of a claim i.e. in the event of total loss (the vehicle is no longer capable of running on the road), constructive total loss (aggregate cost of retrieval and/or repair of the vehicle is greater than 75% of IDV) or your vehicle being stolen.
https://www.icicilombard.com/experts...r-vehicle.html

As per my understanding, in case of a total loss, the vehicle is sold as scrap and the proceeds are paid to the owner directly. Insurance co then pays the balance (IDV - scrap value) to the owner.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 22:35   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
From what I have seen, Insurance co usually declares a vehicle Total loss if the repair estimate crosses 75% of the IDV. Here is what ICICI Lombard says -

https://www.icicilombard.com/experts...r-vehicle.html

As per my understanding, in case of a total loss, the vehicle is sold as scrap and the proceeds are paid to the owner directly. Insurance co then pays the balance (IDV - scrap value) to the owner.
Yes, my Swift is being totalled. I confirm that the total amount of repair (and not the insurance co's part in it), if more than 75% of IDV, they prefer a total loss.
But, not neccessarily they pay the whole IDV. Mine was ICICI Lombard and they have negotiated a lot on the amount to be paid.
IDV was 275000 and they are paying 240000. Repair estimate was 330000. Their argument is that the Maruti guys give unreal and high estimates and the car could be repaired in 250000. Of this amount, they would have to pay ~160000. Assuming the totalled car could be sold for 70000, net amount that we get comes to 230000.
They say if the damage was higher, or they car could'nt be repaired at all eg. In case of a fire, they would pay the whole IDV.
As the insurance company has the right to decide whether to go for a total loss or a repair, we can't do much.
itsashishsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 07:28   #131
BHPian

In my case the total bill is 7 lacs already and much of the repair work is yet to be done. It is likely to cross the 75% mark or may miss it by a wisker
bravo82in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 18:38   #132
BHPian

Bro, I just read the entire thread in one go and was stunned to see a guy just being so unlucky with a car. Everything that could go wrong did except for the one crucial part - where no one got killed or greviously injured in that crazy accident.

Its like the luckiest unlucky purchase ever

This insurance battle seems a nightmare but kudos to you for not throwing in the towel. If I were you , I'd have quit long back.

Perhaps it really is the tata brand. They just cannot seem to be persuaded to give a tiny rat's behind.I drive a Sumo Gold GX and my purchase experience was harrowing as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/109322-tata-sumo-gold-refreshed-sumo-24.html#post3692007

I'd really consider fighting this battle and making these clowns pay big but also meanwhile distance yourself from the specific vehicle mentally and drive an alternate car for a while. Sometimes just allowing yourself to cool off and getting away from an issue that has plagued you for over 2 years might just do the trick.

Please don't get it repaired and keep driving it. I am 100% positive TATA would surprise me hugely if they were able carry out a safe and genuine overhaul to it. It just won't be the same again.

All the best my friend.
vasant.guru@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 18:06   #133
BHPian

The car is finally repaired and total repair bill is 10,97000 INR approx. The company didnt accept engine repair as their liability and have put that burden on me. The final computation is as follows:
Total parts cost with taxes: Rs 866103.11
Total labour: Rs 57000
Total cost of repairs: Rs 923103
Depreciation amount: Rs 299,230.37
Insurance companies liability: Rs 577203

Name:  report_009.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  60.9 KB

The total repair bill as agreed by surveyor is more than 75% of IDV. Hence a case of total loss. The company still insists that if the company's liability exceed 75% of IDV then only its a case of total loss. I asked for a printed copy of IRDAI guidelines to prove their point but they have no answer. I called up reliance customer care and their mumbai head office but they have no clue as to what constitute a total loss.
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote