Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th November 2012, 16:07   #1
BHPian

Default From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid

Story of the BLUE (White) Elephant:

I used to own a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 2003 model of Ambition variant. Bought this from a friend (so to say) of mine. We had so many memorable journeys in this car and a year had flown by when the service reminder came up. I took it to the Bosch garage near Whitefield and explained it to him all that I knew about the car (inclg. the buying experience) and the occasional airbag warning light that remained ON and the occasional blown fuses. He suggested that I leave the car for service first during which a diagnostic check will be done only post which he will be able to comment about the worthiness of the car. Sure enough by evening I get a call for me to come to the workshop to take delivery post service and for a brief discussion where I was given a list of suggested medicines for the well being of my chariot – clutch cylinder replacement, engine mounts & bracket replacement, brake shoes replacement, front & rear suspension overhaul. I knew this was going to be the moment where I should hang myself for the decision of buying the car without any checks.

During this time is when I came across TBHP. In fact, based on the suggestion from TBHP directory is how I ended up at the Bosch garage. From that time on I had been pursuing my dream of becoming a member of this excellent community which was realized only this month (Oct 2012). Anyways, the gentleman who owned the garage explained patiently on what has been done with regards to the service along with the fuse replacements to the right amps and that while the list of changes is huge I could get them done in stages based on how deep my pockets are although my immediate priority should be for clutch cylinder replacement. I requested him for a quote for all the suggested changes and the total came to approx. 1.60 lacs.

I decided to follow his advice, and said to him that I will proceed to do the work in stages and clutch replacement may be carried out. He said that the part needs to be ordered from Bosch Delhi and a part payment has to be done to ensure that the order is made. Total quoted was 28k inclg. Labor and I paid about 12k in advance. A week later, the clutch cylinder was replaced and he asked the mechanic to take me for a test drive and advised me to notice any differences. I felt the response was much better than before and it no longer felt too loose or too hard. Everything was going well and our relationship reached the 2 year milestone without any barriers. My relationship status was about to be changed from “single” to “married” shortly and I had to go to CBE to visit my sis who was carrying. A long weekend was coming up and hence I & my brother-in-law took off to CBE on a Friday morning. Reached CBE in 5.30 hours of driving time with an hour’s break in between for breakfast & resting time. The next day took my Sis for her regular check-up and that’s when the car just stalled in the middle. Fortunately, after couple of cranks she was alive and was able to reach the hospital without any issues. We were ready to return home, when she died on me again and this is when I called up my regular mechanic (near HRBR Layout), who had worked on the car’s arm bushes replacement (oh yes this also happened some time during the 2nd year of ownership). Over time I had built a good rapport with this guy and he was very knowledgeable (IMO) and helpful in clearing all sorts of questions that I had about the car.

Since it was a Saturday noon and I didn’t know anyone in CBE who could help with the car my mech agreed to provide telephone support. He asked few basic questions in terms of warning lights, any peculiar sounds etc that I get when I crank up the engine and all I could see was the battery indicator & the engine oil lights were glowing. He suggested this could be because of a dead battery and asked me to try and jump starting her. Sure enough she came back alive and as soon as I reached home we called a nearby mech who was also performing battery charges. I told him that I needed it by early morning since I had to return to BLR on Sunday and would like to start early in the morning. He agreed and took the battery with him. Sunday morning, the battery was fitted and still the car wouldn’t crank. The mech who charged the battery said he knew a garage close-by who service skoda cars and called him, however warned me that since it’s a Sunday morning he was not sure if they would be ready to look at my car. Luck favored me and the guys (there were 3 of them) came in a Laura and looked at my car. They diagnosed that one of the engine plugs are not working and there is a blown fuse also due to which the cranking process fails. They took a spare fuse from the Laura, plugged it in and sure enough she came back to life. I wasted no time and started from CBE by around 11 A.M to BLR. I reached Aryaas restaurant (a little before Salem) from where I had lunch and while returning to the car I noticed there is a bit of oil spill. Upon close inspection, it was looking all dried up and thought that it couldn’t be from my car and hence I proceeded on my journey. About an hour into it, I was at about 110 kmph when I heard a “click” sound and the engine lost power completely. Immediate reaction was for me to turn on the hazard lamps and to pullover the car by the side. Fortunately, there were no cars behind and hence safely stopped the car. When I got down, a huge pool of oil welcomed me from the sides. I opened up the bonnet to find oil being splashed all across. It was already about 2 PM and with no soul in sight I tried calling up SALEM JustDial. They gave me the number of two garages – one being Skoda A.S.S and another of a local garage. A.S.S manager told me that he can arrange for a tow but can only look at the car on Monday. This being not feasible, I called up my mech in BLR who said that he can come over with his boys to wherever I was and I should check with my friend if he can lien his Hyundai Tucson so that he can come over right away. By the time help arrived it was almost 8 PM, and since the place where I was stranded did not have enough lighting we decided to use Tucson to my car and get it to a place with enough lighting. We stopped at a crowded junction with enough lights to check on the issue and within few minutes one of the boys gave me the worst news I had imagined – timing belt cut. We decided to call a tow truck that will get the car to my mech’s workshop to have the repairs done and thus ended one of the worst ever days in my life. It took about 90k for the car to be back on the road and the engine never sounded better.

From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid-008.jpg

Few months fast forwarded to Feb 2012, me & my fiancé were enroute to our first valentine’s dinner and just before Jyoti Nivas college another issue, the car would not shift into a lower / higher gear. By the time I figured how to put the car into 1st gear to take it to the side of the road our ever crazy traffic was honking away. This inspite of the hazard lights being turned on.. So again called up my Mech and he promptly sent a boy who figured that the clutch plate / clutch cylinder issue. I parted with my car since I didn’t want my fiancé to be left out in the middle of our 1st valentine’s dinner and the car was somehow driven by the boy to the garage in HRBR. Few days and few thousand rupees later she was back on the road again. This time I decided to part with her for good and thus began my “Test Drive” process.

Cars that I test drove –
1. 2012 Vento Diesel
2. Skoda Rapid Diesel
3. Honda City

TD Experience:
1. Vento – Since I stay near KR Puram I called up Whitefield Volkswagen who had just set-up shop. In spite of repeated calls and frustrated feedbacks I never got a car for TD. One of my colleague’s brother was working in VW Palace Cross. I made an appointment with him to get the Car to ITPL since that’s where I work and sharp at the committed time he was there. He said he could give me a pre-refreshed Vento for a good discount unless I want the new one, which would be costly due to the upcoming budget and its impact. I told him politely that I would wait and see what’s going to happen and besides this was the only car that I have TD’d so far so didn’t want to jump the gun

2. Honda City – Being a fan of “all things german” I was just not ready to welcome this Japanese thing. Despite this I still TD’d since I was seeing a lot of City's around and the new 2012 model came with loads of features inclg. improved GC. While overall experience was good, availability of PETROL ONLY was a major deterrent since I wanted to buy only a Diesel

3. Skoda Rapid – I would have read the TBHP Official review at least 15 times and every time I would stop at the pricing comparison. This was the only factor (besides a few) that I went ahead for another SKODA in spite of my previous experience. Quite cabin, spacious feel, awesome confident inspiring breaks were few positives as compared to Vento (IMHO). I spoke to the SA about high maintenance cost & parts availability and he mentioned that Skoda has started manufacturing locally in India due to which the prices are phenomenally less as what it used to be earlier. This fact was again rechecked in one of the posts in TBHP that had a price list of some of the Skoda Parts which also mentioned about the local manufacturing.

I did not try the new Verna or other cars since my mind was fixed on the German. The Skoda SA followed up with me after a week and I said politely that I have a current car that I am trying to sell based on which I will make the booking. He immediately offered to assist by calling up one of his contacts who runs a second hand car dealership. Few days and negotiations later, I parted ways with my Blue Elephant. Now, due to approaching Marriage and its related expenses I decided to not go in for a new car immediately.

Fortunately few weeks into my marriage my wife started realizing how much I missed my old car and she suggested that we should buy one and that she would support me by helping with the EMI. She also knew that I liked Skoda much better than anything else and the only other vehicle she suggested was the Renault Duster. While both of us were attracted by the price point, I was not sure how good it’s going to be. After, a lot of deliberation we finally decided to visit Vinayaka Showroom in ORR. The SA told us that we could go for a TD together post which we can work out the details of loan requirement, availability etc.

Booking & Delivery Experience

Post the TD, my wife was also in love with the car. The SA told us that he has few cars readily available that are 2012 manufactured and that based on the loan approval and booking he could deliver the car within a week. HDFC was finalized as the bank since they were able to provide 98% on-road funding, due to corporate tie-up with my workplace. We purchased the 1.6 TDI Elegance version and was offered only 15k as corporate discount. Other than that even small thing like mud flaps, foot maps were all charged. The delivery experience I would rate it as 3 with Vinayak Skoda since on the day of delivery, the sales personnel goofed up and failed to communicate the same to us. I was scheduled to take delivery at about 5 PM and until about 3 PM they confirmed that it was in the service station getting ready. At 4 PM they call us and say that can we take the delivery on Monday since Saturday not many deliveries happen and Monday is more auspicious than Saturday. I smelled a rat and asked them to tell me out rightly what has happened and that I cannot change the delivery date or time, if I don't get delivery today they might very well cancel the booking. This is when the Sales Manager called up and said that they have misplaced the key to the car and the security to whom the keys were provided yesterday has not turned up for work. I told them that this was something that they could have told me in the morning itself instead of providing misleading information and stuck to my demand of delivery or cancellation.

So finally, at 4.30 PM they called up and asked me if I can take the delivery from KR Puram service station instead of the ORR office; this was ok with me since its much closer to my residence and atlast on 7th July, 5 PM I welcomed one more lady to my home.

Name:  100_1682_compressed.jpg
Views: 13634
Size:  41.1 KB

Equipment Levels:
  • I don’t have too much to complain about the equipment levels, as I did not find anything missing from Octy to Rapid except for the engine temperature gauge
  • The MID for the top variant is full featured one – shows Distance to Empty (DTE), average mileage with 2 checkpoints, current fuel consumption based on driving style, option to set max speed upon which an audible alarm comes up, Avg. driving time (again with 2 checkpoints), Avg. speed (again with 2 checkpoints) and current speed
  • Couple of items which I thought could have been included are – display of which door is open (has a standard door open signal), they could have kept the rear window functionality to be fully down rather than stop at half way mark (surprisingly, this was not mentioned in the TBHP Official Review page either)

Current Affairs & Usage Pattern:
As I am writing this review, the baby has been driven for 12k kms in style during which she has been to the service station four times – first to get engine mounts replaced (on warranty), second time for mid-year free check-up, third time for a summer camp check-up and fourth due to a moron’s hearing impairment because of which the RH side had to take an impact and the front headlights had to be changed. My daily usage is about 25 kms – up & down to ITPL from Ramamurthy Nagar (via Hoskote highway). This is more safer and more peaceful as compared to the dreaded hoodi road where the railway over bridge is STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. Apart from the daily drive, so far the longest has been the journey to Goa & one journey to Coimbatore.

Engine mounts being replaced – During the first month of ownership, I noticed that whenever the clutch is pressed the engine noise used to increase. I searched TBHP to check if anyone else has had the same problem but to no avail. Took her to service station (Odo reading 1989 kms), and the SA informed that this was a reported issue and occurs due to faulty Engine mounts & Clutch hose which will be replaced on warranty.

Free Check-up – As I neared the 6th month of ownership, I got a remainder call from the workshop advising about the free check-up. No complaints and the car had been running perfectly fine. Necessary liquids were topped up & wheel balancing was done as part of this check-up, although wheel balancing was charged. Although body wash was done, I have to say here that it was pathetic – our friendly neighborhood car washes can do a better job; interiors were not cleaned. And when I enquired about this with the SA I was told that only exterior wash (not engine bay, under body) will be done free of cost.

Summer Camp Check-up – This happened in April when I had planned a trip to Goa with her. Checkpoints were restricted only to engine bay, AC and Coolant level.

Changing of RH Headlight unit – 2 weeks back (on a Thursday) when it was raining I was with my wife exiting out of ITPL main gate. Ahead of me was a guy in his Figo who without noticing the median went and dashed on it (nothing serious since the car was rolling at < 10kmph). He immediately started to reverse without even noticing that there is a car behind him. I started flashing my lights and honking like mad coz the speed with which he reversed I knew my car is going to take a hit, and within a matter of seconds it happened. By this time a mini traffic had piled-up and hence I had to let that moron go who didn’t even have the courtesy to stop and check if something has happened. Upon reaching home I inspected and could not find any visible damages although the bumper near the wheel arches had gone down a bit. So took the car to the service station on Saturday evening where one of the SA’s gave me the bad news. The RH headlight unit has to be changed completely since the impact had caused one of the headlight holders to break leaving the lights loose. Damage was estimated at 4.6K and got it done immediately. However, when the new unit was fixed and the bumper was put in its original place I could find that the gaps between the hood and the lights have increased. Upon bringing this to the notice of the SA he told me that they might have to do a bit of tinkering to get it back to the original state. I decided that it’s best to get it done during the 1st Service which is due in about a month’s time. For the want of a holder to replace the entire unit I thought was overkill and may be if I had taken the car to a neighborhood garage they would have had some easy fix. In spite of the production of parts being now done in India, I believe Skoda has a long way to go when it comes to cost of spare parts.

Engine Performance & Drivability:
While I do miss the Octy’s stability, Rapids engine is not any less when compared to providing you that additional torque that you get to enjoying on 2nd Gear & other higher ones. The car feels like its leaping ahead beyond 2000 rpm and that’s an absolute pleasure to drive in that range. I have never really tried redlining it although it’s about to be a year. Very rarely have I stalled in the engine and that’s purely because of my driving style. Inside the cabin it’s really quite even at speeds above 100 kmph and that’s what I have liked the most I should say. Gearshifts have been buttery smooth except on few occasions when I felt the switch from 3rd to 4th gear is about to miss a push.

Mileage wise, I use an app called “Gas Logger” to track the consumption vs. odo reading and so far city runs have given a mileage of between 15-16 kmpl while highways mostly have been in the range of 19-20 kmpl with full time AC ON. Total cost as per my records for 745.5 liters of diesel have been about 39k with a mileage of about 11382 kms (missed recording the initial few fillings).

Suspension & Handling:
The tuning of the suspension is excellent, very much suited for Indian road conditions. The only factor although I did not like is going over sump of the potholes the car sways left & right which I believe is a characteristic of all sedans. I have had few occasions of sudden braking and although I could hear the ABS kicking in at times I felt that the sound is way too high. In fact during the mid-year free check-up this was brought to the notice of the SA who promptly took a mechanic and did some on-road tests which came back as normal. Highway handling could have been a bit better (again comparing with Octy) since most often I felt that the car kind of jumps up & down due to the varying road surface on highways. This I believe have never felt in octy. Steering is really light within city and as the speed increases it gets a little heavy but to the point when it comes to feedback. I have not upsized the tyres and still running with Apollo Accelere that came as default from the factory. So far “all is well” in this department as well.

Mod's done so far:
1. HU changed from OEM to JVC KW-AV60BT with reverse cam at the time of delivery (cost 30k)
2. Seats from Karlsson (based on reviews from TBHP) (cost 28k)
3. Headlights changed to Osram NBP+ (based on Kryptonite's thread) (cost 1300 for a set)

Addition's planned in future:
1. 4 Ch Amp & subwoofer - based on availability of "georgekutty"
2. Accessories - when i last checked with Vinayak, they mentioned that Skoda authorized stuff will be available from mid-Jun 2013 onwards. Things that I am looking for - Door sills, appropriate mud flaps, spoilers
3. 3M car protection (paint protection and the likes) - thanks to my apartment watchmen's cleaning its already full of swirls. I have also read the Car Detailing thread that one of our fellow BHP'ian had posted. Since i am on the lazier side have not still made up my mind to do the detailing on my own

Pro's:
1. Price point (Vento was highly priced for only difference being the availability of steering controls and leather seats)
2. Easy availability (Ertiga had almost a 6 month waiting period, 3 months for a Vento unless I was ready to take it from old stock > 5 monts, with no color choice)
3. Excellent engine torque as compared to Vento
4. Confident inspiring brake set-up (I felt vento's reaction was a point lower than Rapid)
5. Arm rest for rear passengers
6. Durable AC vents (Octy's used to break at the slightest touch, and replacement was offered for the entire fitting & was overpriced)

Con's (as per me):
1. No Lumbar support
2. No Dead Pedal (really Skoda ??)
3. No Engine Guard (I really wish this was available)
4. Faulty / Big Mud flaps & Squeaky Arm rest (lot said already in various threads)
5. NO accessories available (spoiler, door sills etc) - this inspite of the car being 1+ year post the introduction of the model in the market
6. Ingress & Egress - am 5'11" and find it difficult to get in / out with ease, inspite of the various seat positions I try
7. Driving position - while its comfortable due to height adjustable seat I believe SX4 has a better driving position due to its taller stance
8. Steering Mounted Controls - while may be not a must have its a bit dangerous to reach the HU controls specially within city (Thanks to GTO's guide on "Normalizing volume for your entire song collection", all my songs from my ipod play at the same volume and hence no need to reach out to the HU)
9. Daytime Running Lights (DRL's - while not a con persay, if they could put it in the new Fabia, why not in the Rapid)

Some of the niggles that I have / had noticed:
1. Mudflaps issue (too much has been talked about this and hence not elaborating)
2. Engine Noise when clutch pressed (talked in detail in the previous para’s)
3. Heavy noise when ABS kicks in - I saw in one of the threads in this forum that this is also being taken care under warranty if reported within 6 months/10k kms, by replacing brake shoes or something like that. Had this checked but came back as “normal”
4. Clunk sound (metal bashing) from left front side when going over speed bumps at a bit more than required speed
5. Passenger side windows do not go down completely like in Octy - it stops a little past half way down.

Last edited by RedRapid : 8th June 2013 at 15:06. Reason: Long term Ownership report
RedRapid is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 14:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 14:59   #3
BHPian

very honest feedback redrapid - thanks for sharing!

Couple of questions..
1. Does the Rapid feel as 'solid' as the Octy overall?
2. Is the Rapid as easy to drive as the Octy (with it's zero lag) in the city?
d_himan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 15:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

A well rounded preview and write up of your new ride there. One thing for sure with all things major being equal (read mechanicals, dimensions etc), the Rapid is a much better vfm than the Vento.

Also the red color looks really neat on the Rapid with some chrome inserts san bare looks. Do let us know more on the SkodaASS treats you and your car since that seems to be a major pain point for may potential buyers.

Do post more pics of your red machine.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 16:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRapid View Post
4. Clunk sound (metal bashing) from left front side when going over speed bumps at a bit more than required speed
Congrats on you red beauty.

Kindly check your steering ball joint on the LHS front wheel. Looks like they have taken a hit, might need to replace them.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 16:24   #6
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well written review with honest feedback., Thank You. It does take guts to go back to Skoda; especially after the kind of experience that you had in the pervious ownership.

Yep some minor things that are missing on the Rapid should have been default.

I think the accessories that you are looking out for should be available with the local accessories shop - do check again, though you would know better about the Rapid.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 16:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey, congratulations on the Rapid. Some more pictures please!
Welcome to TBHP & it seems this thread was on the assembly line for quite a while! haha.

Really a decision not many would take. Most obvious choices for change from Octy would generally be Laura/Jetta/Cruze or upwards. Indeed a practical choice to pick the practical, convenient and balanced sedan. And with one of the best oil burning engines around!

Please do post regular updates - service experiences especially.

Wish you unlimited safe & happy RAPID miles.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 10:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
very honest feedback redrapid - thanks for sharing!

Couple of questions..
1. Does the Rapid feel as 'solid' as the Octy overall?
2. Is the Rapid as easy to drive as the Octy (with it's zero lag) in the city?
Tx d_himan. To answer your questions -
1. Yes it definitely fees solid like the Octy. The only niggle, as mentioned in my review is that during highway runs it feels a bit bumpy, which I have never felt in the Octy. This could be because of tyre pressure / suspension set-up / due to the way the roads in highways are made. Not sure which one but its not like a deterrent i would say.
2. Absolutely easy to drive. I believe in one of the official reviews they had said that 3rd gear can be used to drive like an automatic, which I am completely in agreement with. Most often in bumper to bumper traffic i tend to downshift to 1st for the reason that in 2nd gear it gives you amazing torque beyond 1500 rpm which could be a bit dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
A well rounded preview and write up of your new ride there. One thing for sure with all things major being equal (read mechanicals, dimensions etc), the Rapid is a much better vfm than the Vento.

Also the red color looks really neat on the Rapid with some chrome inserts san bare looks. Do let us know more on the SkodaASS treats you and your car since that seems to be a major pain point for may potential buyers.

Do post more pics of your red machine.
Thanks girishglg. I should infact thank the moderators GTO & others who kept rejecting my initial draft advising me to cover all features about the car. So decided to put in a lot of time to experience and recollect all that i could in this 1 year of ownership. Will certainly keep this post updated with pics and other updates as it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Congrats on you red beauty.

Kindly check your steering ball joint on the LHS front wheel. Looks like they have taken a hit, might need to replace them.

Cheers
MKP
Thanks MKP. I will keep this point noted to ensure this is done during the upcoming 1st service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Very well written review with honest feedback., Thank You. It does take guts to go back to Skoda; especially after the kind of experience that you had in the pervious ownership.

Yep some minor things that are missing on the Rapid should have been default.

I think the accessories that you are looking out for should be available with the local accessories shop - do check again, though you would know better about the Rapid.
Thanks ACM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey, congratulations on the Rapid. Some more pictures please!
Welcome to TBHP & it seems this thread was on the assembly line for quite a while! haha.

Really a decision not many would take. Most obvious choices for change from Octy would generally be Laura/Jetta/Cruze or upwards. Indeed a practical choice to pick the practical, convenient and balanced sedan. And with one of the best oil burning engines around!

Please do post regular updates - service experiences especially.

Wish you unlimited safe & happy RAPID miles.
Thanks Reinhard. Yes this post has been in assembly line for quite a while for reasons mentioned in the response to girish in the above post.

The reason for Octy to Rapid, I was the 3rd owner of Octy with absolutely no service history available. When I took her to A.S.S for the service during my ownership they said that they don't have any records of the car being serviced in any of the A.S.S and hence would not want to take up servicing unless I am ready to bare the huge cost due to spare parts changes required. But whatever be it I was in love with the way Skoda machines was built and was not ready to spend more money in buying a Laura / other upward cars. Rapid fitted my bill in all aspects and hence this machine. And as you have rightly put its a well balanced sedan in all aspects as per me.

Will keep this posted updated with interior pics, service experience, cost of maintenance etc.
RedRapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 17:31   #9
BHPian

Angry Re: From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid

Why are bikers so obsessed in kissing cars ? The minute they see the traffic is stopped they have to show their prowess by going in between 2 vehicles. Today, one such moron kissed my Rapid from the rear. Due to the stop & go traffic could not do much except to stare at him angrily, he just laughed looking at me and rode away . After reaching office, I inspect the damage and there is a black color like thingy on the rear bumper. Have been having a heart burn since this morning. Need to wait and see what it would cost to get it look like new.

Name:  RR 001.jpg
Views: 12419
Size:  21.7 KB

Attached pics of the interior (shot from mobile). As mentioned in the first thread, the seats were done at Karlsson Bangalore -

Rear Seats
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid-rr-002.jpg

Driver & Passenger Seats
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid-rr-003.jpg

Leather wrapped steering
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid-rr-004.jpg

JVC HU
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid-rr-005.jpg

I have used the KS-U30 to connect the ipod & iphone to the HU that way i am able to play videos from both sources as well. The only complaint is that unlike songs, videos have to be played one by one and it does not play all the videos in a single press. Wonder if there's a work around for this ?
RedRapid is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 20:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Today, one such moron kissed my Rapid from the rear. Due to the stop & go traffic could not do much except to stare at him angrily,
You can try Compaint. I have used the same on my white Rapid. A stupid biker gave my car a bump which happened on the 1st birthday of my Rapid. The spot was almost exactly where you have got yours. After following the elaborate process of sandpapering, rubbing, spraying etc, there was an almost exact colour match and the spot is not visible now.
Although Im not sure of how exact would be the result for your red car, its worth a shot.

Nice seat covers BTW. Are these pure leather?

Last edited by hrman : 20th June 2013 at 20:34.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 21:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi RedRapid!

Congratulations on your buy Could you please list a bit of driving impressions of the Rapid with respect to the Octavia? It would make for an interesting read & help understanding the Cars better.

And hey, don't sweat over with that nick, try to rub it with a good rubbing compound (Car polish/wax). From pics, it appears to be superficial, should go away.

Thanks for sharing your experience
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 23:04   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the Rapid progress
I hadn't expected one to buy a Skoda again after experiencing such troubles from the earlier Octavia, but man, you've got faith !

How do you find the handling and build vs the Octavia, does it handle better or worse, does the built quality seem lowered to lower the cost ?

Quote:
Why are bikers so obsessed in kissing cars ? The minute they see the traffic is stopped they have to show their prowess by going in between 2 vehicles.

OT - but I'm primarily a biker and have never kissed a car ever ! I do dart in between cars but I ensure enough clearnance so that I don't scrape any wing mirrors etc. Maybe it has to do with reading once, the cost of a door mirror of an E class Benz. If I ruined a Merc's mirror, I'd have to hand over my ZMA to the Benz guy as they cost the same !

OTOH, I do have an axe to grind against some 4 wheeler drivers. Like once I had stopped at a traffic light, I feel a sudden pressure and pain in my right foot. This chap in a Honda City runs over my foot and stops beside me. I knock at his window, he signals something vaguely with his hand. I knock again, he rolls the glass down and I tell him he ran over my foot, and he say's it's OK ! No hint of apology , no shame , no embarrassment ! I wished my bike was Street Hawk, I'd have used that .50 cal generously !
Lucky for me, I wear DMS (army boots) so I didn't suffer a broken bone.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 23:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

While most of the initial part of our review gives me a scare (Have an Octy with 80k on the odo) i'm really happy you decided to part with your car and go for the Rapid. All we need is peace of mind when it comes to ownership,if a car keeps breaking down in the middle of nowhere frequently then its best to move on. Congrats on another Skoda! I'm sure Rapid will be more reliable.
The scratch is nothing to worry about, get a good rubbing compound and you'll see 80-90% of it disappear. Or just take it to any good detailer like Nirmal,UD or 3M HSR
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 01:00   #14
BHPian

Congratulations, redrapid, for your red red rapid.

It looks awesome.

Looking at the picture of the scratch at the rear, I feel that it could be removed using ultimate compound and some manual effort. Please give it a try.

Wish you many many happy miles in your red rapid.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 22:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Nice seat covers BTW. Are these pure leather?
Yep they are. Scandinavian 1.4 mm if i remember the quote from Stanley right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congrats on the Rapid progress
I hadn't expected one to buy a Skoda again after experiencing such troubles from the earlier Octavia, but man, you've got faith !

How do you find the handling and build vs the Octavia, does it handle better or worse, does the built quality seem lowered to lower the cost ?
Thanks Ricci. Build wise octy was more sturdier and given mine was from 2003, i believe most parts were imported and assembled here and hence she was like a rock. One instance i could quote is i was reversing and failed to notice my friends Lancer behind and hit his rear bumper which broke into pieces whereas my car had just one small scratch. Rapid I believe to keep it light weight there are certain plastic parts (Front & rear bumper for eg.) . Handling anytime Octy is what i would vouch for. I remember my highway experiences at speeds of 120-130kmph she use to just cruise with not a hint of being old. Whereas Rapid at these speeds i feel she starts jumping up & down. Am not sure if this is due to the tyre pressure or the suspension set-up but am not liking it as much i loved Octy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
While most of the initial part of our review gives me a scare (Have an Octy with 80k on the odo) i'm really happy you decided to part with your car and go for the Rapid. All we need is peace of mind when it comes to ownership,if a car keeps breaking down in the middle of nowhere frequently then its best to move on. Congrats on another Skoda! I'm sure Rapid will be more reliable.
The scratch is nothing to worry about, get a good rubbing compound and you'll see 80-90% of it disappear. Or just take it to any good detailer like Nirmal,UD or 3M HSR
Thanks Shashnk. Do not worry if you have been maintaining your car as per the norms, given that your odo is at 80k i would definitely recommend a timing belt change ASAP if not done already, cause this is the one that will really pinch if god forbid anything happens when in running. Good luck for many more miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Congratulations, redrapid, for your red red rapid.

It looks awesome.

Looking at the picture of the scratch at the rear, I feel that it could be removed using ultimate compound and some manual effort. Please give it a try.

Wish you many many happy miles in your red rapid.
Thanks deepfusion. I intend to take her to a detailer post the 1st service. Will keep this thread updated once this is done.
RedRapid is offline   Reply With Quote