Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 21:19   #241
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 5,930 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
It has reached saturation, and I don't think I am left with any part to apply CF either *lol*. This job last Sunday terminates the CF work totally.
Except apart from the key i suppose

Quote:
My next target would be the headlamps, taillamps and DRLs, followed by Stanley full leather interiors.
Ditto here but i'm sure each one would be different in their own way

All the best
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 22:49   #242
Senior - BHPian
 
Schoudhury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blore/Dallas-TX
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 470 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Karthik.
Now its high time you gonna do something to the alloys
Also i have small suggestion, i understand that you don't wanna paint the headlamps black in that case why don't you buy a set of headlamp like you bought the grill and get that painted and keep the stock headlamps safe and intact .
I think a new set of headlamps should cost you around 5k i guess, not more than that .
Make sense

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 00:47   #243
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

I held back my opinion to see what other have in store! Overall, it has gone a bit over the top w.r.t my personal taste.

My take :

The side profile looks better with the OEM decals taken off.
Guess you should have left the chrome door handle just like that.
The front has too much black now I guess. Kinda liked @thoma's rendering to some extent.
Personally I would have left the bumper space around the numberplate in red itself. Now with the work you have done below that, your car would have given a Polo look-a-like front bumper.
Instead of the black grills, I might have tried a chrome grill (the same kinda finish on the door handles) and not the regular silverish grill which you had as OEM.

If you know Photoshop, you should try these out before doing the actual mods. Gives a very good idea and helps you choose what is the best. If you like these mods, please do let it the way it is, the owner needs to be satisfied to the most.

Edit:: I personally think unless you break the monotony of colors at places, the BEST just doesn't come out.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th February 2013 at 00:50. Reason: Added the "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 09:19   #244
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,374 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Karthikk, I'm going to have to agree with the others. The front look is not bad but I think the extended wrap from the fog lamps to the grills need to go. Just the trapezoidal in black looks good. Don't lose the CF wrap between the top and bottom of the grill.

The earlier door handles which were chrome were out of place but now with CF wrap, they stand out a little. CF is better than the chrome but your final goal should be have them body coloured. Door handles are not supposed to stand out.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 10:00   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Woah man.! You should seriously consider becoming a partner at that 3M dealer !

A lot of mixed opinions, but I think the car looks nice. Like some has asked, can you post a long shot of the front ? That should give a better idea as to how the 'beard' looks.

All said and done, the car looks really good, especially the shine - Beautiful !
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 09:53   #246
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,947
Thanked: 16,652 Times
Default Re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. EDIT : First service completed at 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The picture you gave also is good, but I was feeling that the fog lamps are somewhat isolated and the bumpers are looking too bald. Is it just me who thinks like this? *lol*
Can't believe I missed all these mods. The car was right in front of me for few hours last Saturday, but since it was parked facing the other side, never noticed these new mods!

Regarding the sides - It looks totally cool after removing the OEM graphics. I remember requesting you long back.

Anyways - Since everyone is busy throwing in their suggestions, I might throw something in as well. IMO - this takes care of he isolated foglamps feeling without feeling overdone. My only complaint is that the lower airdam looks a bit too similar to the Polo.

Name:  DSC_0550.JPG
Views: 3343
Size:  95.4 KB

Why oh why didn't I buy a red punto!!!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th March 2013 at 10:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 10:47   #247
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 276 Times
Thumbs up re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Karthikk I should have read your ownership review before writing mine, this was something that i regret not having done! After reading it thoroughly,
i can say i know more about the punto than my figo .
But i felt people might tire out by reading an extremely long one, but it seems that is not the case here. A well written long review will have more people scrambling to their computers, craning their necks toward their monitor and drooling! The pictures and the lovely writeup you have of the car are something that fiat could use as a punto portfolio. The difference between the stock punto and your red rocket is that of day and night! The punto looks hawt now. And saying hawt is an understatement for the amount of thought and feeling you have for this wonderful machine. This i feel should be an example presented to Fiat India to show how much we love our fiats! Please give these car lovers the after sales treatment they deserve fiat!

P.S: Please complete the look now by adding a nice set of socks for your lovely girl in red! socks = Alloys .

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 25th March 2013 at 10:48.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 11:52   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

35 Days I do not get to see your ownership thread and am left wondering if this is the same car that has undergone transformation
Looks fantastic stuff buddie, do you have any plans for the mag wheels? I think the current pair are a bit out of place with your scheme of things? Suggest you to get them powder coated for the dull look. That should give a good Matt outlook and goes well with your theme. Nice stuff though. Hopefully should see your car one of these days or on the meet me events
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 11:58   #249
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,947
Thanked: 16,652 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
35 Days I do not get to see your ownership thread and am left wondering if this is the same car that has undergone transformation
Looks fantastic stuff buddie, do you have any plans for the mag wheels? I think the current pair are a bit out of place with your scheme of things? Suggest you to get them powder coated for the dull look. That should give a good Matt outlook and goes well with your theme. Nice stuff though. Hopefully should see your car one of these days or on the meet me events
He doesn't do anything to stock parts, that cannot be easily reverted. Hence powder coating is out of the question.

But alloys- perfect suggestion actually. Current white alloys don't merge with the red-black abarth theme.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 12:19   #250
BHPian
 
nixie89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 36
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Well said Karthik.i do own a 90 HP which has clocked 30k in 15 months, including a trip between chennai and jharkhand. Awesome driving pleasure it offers. All I can wish you is happy miles ahead.good buy
nixie89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 13:07   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can't believe I missed all these mods. The car was right in front of me for few hours last Saturday, but since it was parked facing the other side, never noticed these new mods!

Regarding the sides - It looks totally cool after removing the OEM graphics. I remember requesting you long back.
Thanks CD! yeah I think it was facing the other way for the entire day, so just the back was visible from the detailing showroom side, hehe. Even the rear of the car will be modified soon. Watch this space for more upgrades *winks*!

Quote:
Anyways - Since everyone is busy throwing in their suggestions, I might throw something in as well. IMO - this takes care of he isolated foglamps feeling without feeling overdone. My only complaint is that the lower airdam looks a bit too similar to the Polo.
yeah, true. I didn't like the isolated foglamps too, which was one reason for opting for this front stripe look. Another reason was to make it resemble the look of an Abarth Punto Evo, which has a similar front stripe running across the bumper.

Quote:
Why oh why didn't I buy a red punto!!!
Full body repaint = 30k in Fiat service centre, in case you are interested , and 1k for RC book updation with new color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Karthikk I should have read your ownership review before writing mine, this was something that i regret not having done! After reading it thoroughly,
i can say i know more about the punto than my figo .
But i felt people might tire out by reading an extremely long one, but it seems that is not the case here. A well written long review will have more people scrambling to their computers, craning their necks toward their monitor and drooling! The pictures and the lovely writeup you have of the car are something that fiat could use as a punto portfolio. The difference between the stock punto and your red rocket is that of day and night! The punto looks hawt now. And saying hawt is an understatement for the amount of thought and feeling you have for this wonderful machine. This i feel should be an example presented to Fiat India to show how much we love our fiats! Please give these car lovers the after sales treatment they deserve fiat!

P.S: Please complete the look now by adding a nice set of socks for your lovely girl in red! socks = Alloys .
Thanks a lot for the kind words Arch-Angel! I'm really elated to know you enjoyed reading through my version of the review.

The alloy plans are on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
35 Days I do not get to see your ownership thread and am left wondering if this is the same car that has undergone transformation
some massive plans are brewing on the horizon, so I was lying a bit low for a while to accumulate vitamin M for the onslaught *lol*. More interesting upgrades are on the way, currently piling up in the backlog.

Quote:
Looks fantastic stuff buddie, do you have any plans for the mag wheels? I think the current pair are a bit out of place with your scheme of things? Suggest you to get them powder coated for the dull look. That should give a good Matt outlook and goes well with your theme. Nice stuff though. Hopefully should see your car one of these days or on the meet me events
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
He doesn't do anything to stock parts, that cannot be easily reverted. Hence powder coating is out of the question.

But alloys- perfect suggestion actually. Current white alloys don't merge with the red-black abarth theme.
Absolutely agree with both of you. I was looking for 98 PCD alloys without much luck or choices in designs. The current alloys are looking out of place. CrazyDriver showed me a picture of BHPian DRIV3r who has painted the stock alloys to matt black. I liked that picture, and that got me thinking about painting the current alloys black with a red outer lining.

Shockingly, my dad has also decided to join the modification party after me showing him pictures of the actual Abarth SS (I was surprised! ). He threw a suggestion that I could get these alloys painted to matt black now, and if and when I need the OEM finish, I could purchase a new OEM alloy set at 40k. His reasoning was: instead of going for aftermarket alloys at 25-30k bucks which may not be durable or as long lasting as OEMs, why not paint the OEM alloys and use them now, and if I ever want to switch back to the OEM look after a few years, simply get a new set from the dealer for 40k.

I suddenly saw logic in that, so I have contacted resident alloy-modification guru Vik0728 for help on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie89 View Post
Well said Karthik.i do own a 90 HP which has clocked 30k in 15 months, including a trip between chennai and jharkhand. Awesome driving pleasure it offers. All I can wish you is happy miles ahead.good buy
Thanks a lot for the wishes nixie89! completely agree on the driving pleasure part in this car. Wish you many more happy miles on the Punto 90!

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th March 2013 at 13:11.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 13:35   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 2,150 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Shockingly, my dad has also decided to join the modification party after me showing him pictures of the actual Abarth SS (I was surprised! ). He threw a suggestion that I could get these alloys painted to matt black now, and if and when I need the OEM finish, I could purchase a new OEM alloy set at 40k. His reasoning was: instead of going for aftermarket alloys at 25-30k bucks which may not be durable or as long lasting as OEMs, why not paint the OEM alloys and use them now, and if I ever want to switch back to the OEM look after a few years, simply get a new set from the dealer for 40k.

I suddenly saw logic in that, so I have contacted resident alloy-modification guru Vik0728 for help on this.
Bro, every one on TBHP who knows you or have been on this thread knows who is THE GURU when it comes to MODS!!

I am still "L"earner. I have actually started visualizing your P-Sport with the mod we discussed today morning and i have a funny feeling your car might come under police scanner because -

IT WILL NO LONGER JUST BE A HEAD TURNER, IT WOULD TURN INTO A HEAD TWISTER !!
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:43   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Absolutely agree with both of you. I was looking for 98 PCD alloys without much luck or choices in designs. The current alloys are looking out of place.
Words of wisdom from your Dad, and having had a bad experience with after market mags, I prefer to go with whatever comes as OE. If you want to get it powder coated let me know and I will put you in touch with the folks whose services I availed off for my bike. They did a good decent job and it should not be an expensive affair. Only thingy is you would be without wheels for close to a business week.

Don't Paint them as the finishing will not go well with the rest of theme of car. Not quite sure if paint might get you the Matt Black finish.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 15:23   #254
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00°N,79.58°E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Dear KarthikK,

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0560.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-01.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-02.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-03.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-04.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-05.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-06.jpg

All The Best for your dear project,



Last edited by Eminenttismo : 1st April 2013 at 15:33.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:48   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

The last bits of the jigsaw puzzle are now getting completed. This past Saturday, I got the brake calipers and brake drums painted to a fiery red (same as the car color). The next step will be to blacken the alloys to a Matt black finish with a thin red lining around the circumference (thinner than what has been illustrated by Eminenttismo). That will happen this coming Saturday.

Here are some pictures of the red caliper painting done on Saturday at A1 tyre care centre, Wilson garden. Special thanks to IronH4wk for telling me where and how this was done.

The car before the work started. The front disc calipers were a dull silver-gold color and the rear drums were black.
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130330_001.jpg


Beginning the spray paint session
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130330_002.jpg


This is how the rear brakes look now
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130330_003.jpg


And this is how the front brake calipers look now. I made them clean the overspray which colored the surrounding wires.
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130330_004.jpg


On the ownership front, I just touched 7000 km yesternight on the way back from office.
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130401_002.jpg

The car, being my daily ride to/from work has been munching miles without any fuss, and there are no new niggles or rattles which have developed over this 2000 km period since my previous update (first service at 5000 km). I will update any new developments as and when they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Dear KarthikK,
...
All The Best for your dear project,
Thanks a lot for taking the time out to show the illustrations of how it will look. You have got the look spot on, with a small difference - my red lining around the alloy will be very, very thin. Everything else matches with the way the car will look after this week

Last edited by KarthikK : 2nd April 2013 at 07:49.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leather Car upholstery - Karlsson (Bangalore) bottle Bangalore 115 1st August 2017 19:51
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
MY red italian beauty! Now delivered (Grande Punto MJD) amulu10 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 56 6th July 2010 18:49
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:09.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks