Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 23:19   #286
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 895
Thanked: 4,908 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

A red Fiat Punto was always there in my wish list. But the way Tata dealership treats Fiat customers at Kolkata i had to stay away from this beauty. Thank god Fiat is setting up there new dealership now. Atleast in the near future i guess i can again rethink of a Fiat car. Specially your review is making me rethink about the Punto again! Your review is just awesome and your red Punto looks stunning. The 3M job in your car just look beautiful.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 23:21   #287
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,972
Thanked: 16,764 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Your Abarth now looks complete except for one bit, the sports stickers on the boot lid. Get rid of it and you can fool even the service centers guys that its the Abarth and not the puntp
+1

Infact, +4. Sidhu bangalore and my wife and I believe Krishna's wife shared the same opinion too - when we discussed this topic during the speedway meet.

Those sports sticketrs at the back - they are ruining the looks! Else its absolute droolmaal!

To qoute myself - "Why-o-Why didn't I buy a red punto!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thanks a lot aks_karthik. A tune-o-tronics remap is on the cards (as opposed to a RD box on the car), and will happen after a few months .
A what? Hehe. You never told me you had decided though!

But 1 thing - why not retain the FIAT logo itself? I mean - atleast few ignorant people who will take a second look at your car will have this option in their minds when they plan for an upgrade. Let people know - its a FIAT & its oh-so-******** beautiful, and we're proud of what it is!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th April 2013 at 23:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 08:08   #288
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,494
Thanked: 4,110 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A what? Hehe. You never told me you had decided though!
You know who the culprit is. We did discuss about this CD. May be you too need to jump into this gang now.

But the remap or the tuning box will take time as Karthik's attention is now on the interiors. So lets get the taste of that too.
nkrishnap is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 09:12   #289
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Nice job Karthikk !!
How much did 3M charge you for the work ?
Please remove the sport sticker running across the hatch door.
Did you explore the options for importing the EVO rear bumper ?
They charge for CF work on per-square-foot basis. I think they used 3 units for me, which is roughly 400 bucks each. This work costed ~1.3k

I thought of importing the EVO bumper, but it is not a direct fit over the Grande Punto (the ones sold here in India now), which is an earlier version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
A red Fiat Punto was always there in my wish list. But the way Tata dealership treats Fiat customers at Kolkata i had to stay away from this beauty. Thank god Fiat is setting up there new dealership now. Atleast in the near future i guess i can again rethink of a Fiat car. Specially your review is making me rethink about the Punto again! Your review is just awesome and your red Punto looks stunning. The 3M job in your car just look beautiful.
Thanks a lot for the kind words Samba, I'm glad if the review helped you in some way . Good luck with your purchase and do let us know what happens with your decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+1

Infact, +4. Sidhu bangalore and my wife and I believe Krishna's wife shared the same opinion too - when we discussed this topic during the speedway meet.

Those sports sticketrs at the back - they are ruining the looks! Else its absolute droolmaal!
I'll knock off the Sport and the 90HP decals once I get the scorpion badges. Plan is on track.

Quote:
To qoute myself - "Why-o-Why didn't I buy a red punto!"
Full body re-paint 30k at Fiat body shop. Giving it a try??
Quote:
A what? Hehe. You never told me you had decided though!
Hehe, well it was almost decided as to which route to go for. Now it is more a matter of when I can afford it. Planning on joining the remap route?? RD will be mighty angry for getting a returned box!

Quote:
But 1 thing - why not retain the FIAT logo itself? I mean - atleast few ignorant people who will take a second look at your car will have this option in their minds when they plan for an upgrade. Let people know - its a FIAT & its oh-so-******** beautiful, and we're proud of what it is!
Scorpion logo looks somewhat killer na, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
You know who the culprit is. We did discuss about this CD. May be you too need to jump into this gang now.

But the remap or the tuning box will take time as Karthik's attention is now on the interiors. So lets get the taste of that too.
Absolutely. My immediate focus is on the interiors. I'm training my guns on Karlsson and Ovion now to check who offers nice red and black sport themed interiors in full leather.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th April 2013 at 09:17.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 09:47   #290
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00°N,79.58°E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Whoa whoa whoa, that's a surprise. I've checked this thread yesterday afternoon to see how far your smoking work has come, but this is completely unexpected. Nice work, 3M guys definitely have the skill!. Overall you need to make the following adjustments, I suppose.

Paint the rear parking sensors red,
Do something regarding the silencer tip, something more sporty, MEATY and which is straight is welcome!,
Remove the badges and stickers(sport) as you said,
and if possible add some ground effects like skirts to make the car look lower. Something not too racerboy-ish though!

P.S Honestly you made me love the Punto(especially yours), now I want to buy one ASAP!

EDIT: I really think you have to lower your car man, Its riding too high and to give the true justice to all you have done, you'll have to lower it. How about getting some coil springs of 2009 punto? They were lower, weren't they?

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 15th April 2013 at 10:05.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 10:05   #291
BHPian
 
S.MJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 441
Thanked: 483 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
My tryst with 3M Carbon fibre wrap has not ended yet.
Great job Karthik.
I have similar feelings what CD has. Why-O-Why I did not go for Red Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The slight difference in the shape towards the bottom can be excused, if you consider the fact that this artistic piece of cutting work is handmade stuff. The symmetry and accuracy on both sides for something which is hand-cut without any ruler is incredible! Hats off to the CF boy at the 3M store.
Your 3M guys have done excellent job.
Difference in shape has come up due to difference in bumper design.
If you notice in Abarth horizontal space above number plate area is lesser (thin) as compared to punto & therefore the carbon fiber applied is thicker in your case.
You can think of cutting a portion of carbon fiber horizontally to bring the thickness similar to Abarth.
This will further bring it closer to Abarth EVO look.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 10:32   #292
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

A creative mind + People with technical expertise = marvellous results :P. The rear look is great now! I would suggest getting the sport vinyl off now. If possible, the punto badge can be moved below the fiat badge to give the rear a slightly cleaner look(This isn't a suggestion, rather i am just trying to figure out if it might look good). An engine remap/box would see you soaring high above the "normal" puntos (keep in mind puntos are special by all means )
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 11:44   #293
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00°N,79.58°E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Post re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Original,
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0744.jpg

Everything cleaned up + Abarth Logo,
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-01.jpg

Some minor adjustments to make it look very similar to Evo,
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-02.jpg

Even more adjustments, (making some transitions less apparent)
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-03.jpg

^^ + Smoked Tails + Meaty Exhaust Tip,
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-04.jpg

Smoked Abarth Logo,
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-05.jpg

120BHP!!! Badge, (Well anytime in future, may be?)
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-06.jpg

Lowered a little,
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-07.jpg


Phew!
IMO, the current vinyl job makes the rear look narrow, so I smoothed it a little here and there.

Fatter tires, karthikk?
Eminenttismo is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 12:05   #294
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

For the first non-modification-related post in months together, here are some snaps from a sibling photoshoot of the T-Jet and MultiJet done a month ago (yes this was before the mudflaps were changed and alloys blackened):

The Red Rocket learns who is the REAL Rocket
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0448.jpg


Car v/s car. Machine v/s Machine. The Punto "Sport" is no match for the elder sibling which looks so deceptively dignified and graceful, but breathes fire out on the road. The T-Jet absolutely destroys and decimates the Punto sport

T-Jet breathes fire, while the MultiJet breathes black smoke instead
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0446.jpg


The Jet® is still my hot favourite car, and has the ability to change the perception of what driving pleasure is all about.
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0399.jpg

Every week (after 5 days of driving the Punto MultiJet to office), when I take out the T-Jet during the weekend for a long drive on the highway, I suddenly realize what all those comments about petrols and diesels were about. There really is no comparison in driveability with a turbo-petrol.

A remap should take the Punto's performance levels close to the stock T-Jet. Even then it may not be enough to dethrone the elder sibling so easily, with its flawless handling and braking abilities still beating the Punto hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, that's a surprise. I've checked this thread yesterday afternoon to see how far your smoking work has come, but this is completely unexpected. Nice work, 3M guys definitely have the skill!.
Thanks Eminenttismo! The smoke tint application is quite an elaborate post, so I have decided to create a separate DIY thread for it. Will be posting pictures of the process here though. The thread is on assembly line and should go live in a few days in the modifications & accessories section.

Quote:
Overall you need to make the following adjustments, I suppose.

Paint the rear parking sensors red,
Point noted. Will get it done the next time I visit the service centre.

Quote:
Do something regarding the silencer tip, something more sporty, MEATY and which is straight is welcome!,
I'm gunning for the double barrel exhaust tip like the Abarth version. That looks much better. You pictures have got me thinking already! Hehe
Quote:
Remove the badges and stickers(sport) as you said,
and if possible add some ground effects like skirts to make the car look lower. Something not too racerboy-ish though!
will see how feasible it is to add bumper spoilers. I don't want to tinker around the the body work too much. It will start producing other problems like GC issues and rattles later. *winks*

Dude, awesome illustrations with your pictures.

Quote:
EDIT: I really think you have to lower your car man, Its riding too high and to give the true justice to all you have done, you'll have to lower it. How about getting some coil springs of 2009 punto? They were lower, weren't they?
And scrape all speedbreakers?? Hehe. What I might instead do is - when I upgrade the tyres, I'll switch to Pirelli P7 205/55R15 which will reduce my ride height by 5-6mm and give better grip too. Let's see how things work out on the ride height front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Great job Karthik.
I have similar feelings what CD has. Why-O-Why I did not go for Red Punto.


Your 3M guys have done excellent job.
Difference in shape has come up due to difference in bumper design.
If you notice in Abarth horizontal space above number plate area is lesser (thin) as compared to punto & therefore the carbon fiber applied is thicker in your case.
You can think of cutting a portion of carbon fiber horizontally to bring the thickness similar to Abarth.
This will further bring it closer to Abarth EVO look.
I'll try to get them to adjust it a little the next time I go there. Thanks a lot S.MJet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
A creative mind + People with technical expertise = marvellous results :P. The rear look is great now! I would suggest getting the sport vinyl off now. If possible, the punto badge can be moved below the fiat badge to give the rear a slightly cleaner look(This isn't a suggestion, rather i am just trying to figure out if it might look good). An engine remap/box would see you soaring high above the "normal" puntos (keep in mind puntos are special by all means )
Thanks a lot Arch-Angel! I'm trying to source the Abarth scorpion badges for the grill, bootlid and alloy wheel caps, maybe even the "EsseEsse" chrome badge. I'll remove the "Sport" vinyl and consider moving the Punto logo to the centre when those things arrive. A remap is very much on the cards, but not until later this year (still covered only 8k on the odo). I have other tricks up my sleeve until then, some which will be rolled out very soon. Watch this space for more details *smiles*

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th April 2013 at 12:30.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 12:10   #295
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Abarth gear is expensive, but the looks are worth it. I believe when you are completely done, even Beemer and Merc boys will roll down their windows and oogle at the new hot chick in town . I just wish it would be possible to source the rear bumper/diffuser kit(could run into the high ten thousands or even more!). That would add class! That said, i should have gotten myself a red figo. the sea-grey doesn't leave me much room to experiment except for black paint on the wheels and beige interiors /cry and with my tastes, i wouldn't be shocked if my ride landed on the wierd and wacky mods thread.

One wish i have: God please give me some moolah to get myself a Linea.

Forgot to add: Great illustrations eminent! Concept designs are your forte'.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 15th April 2013 at 12:17.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 12:13   #296
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00°N,79.58°E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

And scrape all speedbreakers?? Hehe. What I might instead do is - when I upgrade the tyres, I'll switch to Pirelli P7 205/55R15 which will reduce my ride height by 5-6mm and give better grip too. Let's see how things work out on the ride height front.

I'm OK with that, but 5-6mm is too little to be apparent? But if blr roads demand good ride height, I'll go with your option. Your call mate!
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 20:50   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Wow! The Punto just got better. Superb job done by you and 3M guys! Once the remap Abarth logos are done, your car will be almost as good as an Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Hehe, well it was almost decided as to which route to go for. Now it is more a matter of when I can afford it.
I also went from the RD box to the remap option after reading various threads here. I'm planning to get a remap sometime towards the fag end of the year, lets see how it works out. Good to see so many of us planning a remap!

Quote:
Absolutely. My immediate focus is on the interiors. I'm training my guns on Karlsson and Ovion now to check who offers nice red and black sport themed interiors in full leather.
Any plans on some ICE modifications ? To go with the killer looks!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:23   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Wow! The Punto just got better. Superb job done by you and 3M guys! Once the remap Abarth logos are done, your car will be almost as good as an Abarth
I hope so, hehe.


Quote:
I also went from the RD box to the remap option after reading various threads here. I'm planning to get a remap sometime towards the fag end of the year, lets see how it works out. Good to see so many of us planning a remap!
I'll probably go with Tune-O-Tronics for the remap, and see how I can improve the overall driveability in the low end. Since I mainly use this car in city traffic, I would prefer more low end grunt, responsiveness and lesser turbo lag. PM me when you plan to go there, I'll join in too. My plan is around Oct-Nov timeframe.


Quote:
Any plans on some ICE modifications ? To go with the killer looks!
After the full leather interiors and remap plan, I'll focus on the ICE. Us salaried folks need to wait for everything and keep doing it in installments *sigh*.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 14:37   #299
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

I'll probably go with Tune-O-Tronics for the remap, and see how I can improve the overall driveability in the low end. Since I mainly use this car in city traffic, I would prefer more low end grunt, responsiveness and lesser turbo lag. PM me when you plan to go there, I'll join in too. My plan is around Oct-Nov timeframe.

After the full leather interiors and remap plan, I'll focus on the ICE. Us salaried folks need to wait for everything and keep doing it in installments *sigh*.
Exactly why I opted for the remap and not tb. Mainly looking for low end improvements and better in-gear acceleration. Lets see what can be done with the engine.

And i have to wait for exams to get over! lol
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 15:01   #300
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Main problem with boxes are that they can control only certain parameters regarding fueling alone(experts can give you a better idea) whereas remap controls various parameters(i guess boost pressure- if an electrically actuated wastegate is present, better torque/speed characteristics throughout the engine's operating range. for petrol engines, a remap controls ignition timing too, if i remember it right). A remap would be permanent though. you can't change MAPs on the fly. Thats the only advantage tuning boxes have. Overall, i feel remap is worth the price.

P.S: I am an electrical engineer interested in automobiles. if some facts are off, please educate me

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 16th April 2013 at 15:04.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leather Car upholstery - Karlsson (Bangalore) bottle Bangalore 115 1st August 2017 19:51
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
MY red italian beauty! Now delivered (Grande Punto MJD) amulu10 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 56 6th July 2010 18:49
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks