Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2012, 11:59   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Wow! cute looking car and seems to well packaged. I am sure this will do well in our market. Can you please
1. Post the interior Pics?
2. Indicate the ground clearance of this car?

Thanks for the great news and great review !
Old 26th November 2012, 12:31   #167
Senior - BHPian

The indianautosblog seems to have put the interior pics:

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/h...revealed-55452
Old 26th November 2012, 12:49   #168
BHPian

Amaze review came in as a pleasant surprise. In fact, wasn't expecting this since it was supposed to be an on invite event. Thought, only folks from auto magazines were invited for the review. Was provide wrong.

Team-BHP being called on a special invite outside of the country is really special. Goes on to prove as to how influential the community has become for good.

I'm really proud to be part of this forum which is very selfless and has proved to be an encyclopedia for all auto enthusiasts. Kudos to all unsung heroes working tirelessly to keep up the standards of this great community/family.

As per the review itself, found it to be the best review that is available as on date. May be the auto magazines have reserved the details to the print media first.

On Amaze, my initial thoughts were that there are a couple of problems that could dishearten prospective buyers:

1. Ride quality not the best. Body roll indicated and ride quality said to be above average. Things could change since the review was on a prototype.

2. Amaze having a slightly narrower body width in comparison to competition cannot comfortably seat three in the rear bench. Buyers will have to live with it.

3. Honda's debut into the oil burner segment - Reliability aspects an unknown territory. May be a good idea to wait for the first year and then buy the car.

Otherwise, it looks to be an excellent first time diesel car custom made for our kind of market. This I hope will push the competitors to innovate and provide better cars and prove to be real VFM offerings.

End of the day, we Indian buyers finally would benefit. Great to see excellent cars being lined up for our market. It has been long due.

Drive Safe,
Andy
Old 26th November 2012, 15:06   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Did you know that cars like the Jetta have boots slapped onto them. Theoretically, it's a hatchback with a boot. Remember the Golf? The Civic too is a hatchback, but it's available in sedan form in many other countries as well, including the US. Same goes for the Jetta. .
Nothing wrong in pasting a boot to a hatchback, as long as it's integrated properly with original design. Haven't heard of many who've complained about the Vento or Verna's boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Basically, it's all about what the people want.
If you ask people what they want, they'll say they want a Passat at Vento's price. Is it possible? Yes, maybe if you sell a three generation old Passat with new headlights and some creases along the sides to make it appear as a new car. The car will sell like hot cakes, making VW the 2nd largest carmaker in India. But how long will they sustain that? Only till the market matures.
Look at the cellphone market. 5 years back we were a VFM market. Today the market share of VFM mobiles has shrunk considerably, and it's the lifestyle/ smart category that is selling bigtime. When such a scene change happens in the car market, probably by 2020, all these VFM brands will have a tough time selling cars that cost 10L and above. It's already happening to Maruti and Tata. The Hondas and Fords too will face the same issue when the market matures, if 'Amaze' kind of cars are going to be their largest selling model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So if you look at it, the manufacturers don't have a choice and there's no point blaming Honda or the other manufacturers.
It's not about choice, it's about vision. Take Hyundai for example. They could have just removed a cylinder, add beige interiors to the Santro and some changes to the lights and call it a new car. That way the car might have costed 50K less than current prices and maybe sales too would have been higher. Then why so much of effort and money to design the EON, when they knew very well that they can't sell it for more than 4 lakhs. That's the difference between a company with vision and a management with a short term goal. That's why everyone is predicting Hyundai to be the next global No.2.

Last edited by Daewood : 26th November 2012 at 15:10.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 15:58   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Nothing wrong in pasting a boot to a hatchback, as long as it's integrated properly with original design. Haven't heard of many who've complained about the Vento or Verna's boot. If you ask people what they want, they'll say they want a Passat at Vento's price. Is it possible?

Yes, maybe if you sell a three generation old Passat with new headlights and some creases along the sides to make it appear as a new car. The car will sell like hot cakes, making VW the 2nd largest carmaker in India. But how long will they sustain that? Only till the market matures.
You seem to be missing the point.

It's not about selling an expensive / large / premium car at the price of a compact. It's about providing the masses with a package that they can't refuse.

This trend of slapping the boot onto hatchbacks started way back in the '90s when Maruti took the erstwhile Swift and gave it a boot giving birth to the Esteem. If they attempted to sell the Swift it would have been too expensive. Heck, people found the Zen to be too expensive initially and the sales only picked up much later.

Yes, it would have helped if Honda had designed the Amaze from ground-up like what they'd done with the City (based on the Jazz) but let's not forget that Honda are in a tearing hurry to sell the new Earth-Dreams diesel in the country. They've been working on it for a while. Redesigning the car from scratch would have seen development costs sky-rocket. Not to mention the possibility of a delayed launch. Both of which Honda cannot afford to absorb given that the competition has caught up.

Also, there is always going to be change. Who would have though that the market would see hatchbacks priced at 9 lakhs OTR?

Every market is different. The European car-buying populace prefer large hatchbacks and station-wagon / estate cars. The US and Thai market thrives on pick-up trucks. Similarly, the Indian market is now known for sub-compact hatchbacks and sedans.

So basically, this hue-and-cry over the Amaze is only because it looks bad, am I right? It's because it looks like a hatchback with a boot on it. As much as I hate the design, I've got to accept that it's a very competent product that has the potential to shake the market. And at the end of the day, THAT'S what matters.

Quote:
Take Hyundai for example. They could have just removed a cylinder, add beige interiors to the Santro and some changes to the lights and call it a new car. That way the car might have costed 50K less than current prices and maybe sales too would have been higher. Then why so much of effort and money to design the EON, when they knew very well that they can't sell it for more than 4 lakhs.
Two words: Market share.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 16:09   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take Hyundai for example. They could have just removed a cylinder, add beige interiors to the Santro and some changes to the lights and call it a new car. That way the car might have costed 50K less than current prices and maybe sales too would have been higher. Then why so much of effort and money to design the EON, when they knew very well that they can't sell it for more than 4 lakhs.
Hm... Hundai has done half of that - the Eon engine is made from the Santro's engine by removing one cylinder! And not cared much to reduce the vibration part at all. IMO, more than the outer shell design, the engine is the most important part of the car, an area in which Hyundai has failed in the case of Eon.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 17:32   #172
BHPian

Quote:
The answer is even more simpler. It's because that what the customers want. I'm not saying they want ugly looking cars.

The result of satisfying all the above criteria is a quirky looking sedan with very short front overhangs, a short bonnet, an even smaller boot area and maximum cabin space.

So if you look at it, the manufacturers don't have a choice and there's no point blaming Honda or the other manufacturers.
I would rather prefer that the styling department be left alone, than be driven by engineering. This is a classic case these days, thanks to Pedestrian Protection (bulged bonnet?), Euro NCAP, and all other things that you have rightly pointed out. I know there is a fine line between arguments here, but I still prefer if Honda would not go overboard in meeting ALL requirements. Infact, Renault or Fiat also make Euro NCAP 5 cars, and they look far better than Honda cars, IMHO. I would not be unhappy, if the fuel efficiency or drag coefficient dropped by a few points, if the Honda car were to look better.
Old 26th November 2012, 18:16   #173
Team-BHP Support

A superb and detailed review Vid's, as usual your eye for detail amazed me Honda should have done this long back, they were pushing the premium and petrol market a bit too far and now they have almost lost it. Getting back will be quite challenging also.

My advice to Honda would be to price this car right for a change, get the dealerships to perform to atleast 2005 standards! These are the only reason why MUL was able to pull it off with DDiS and now demanding a premium. Honda on the other hand does it other way around, demand a premium wait for a slow death and bring price cuts

ps: I think the car looks plain ugly upfront! Rear and side profiles are much better though, and seems proportionate.
Old 26th November 2012, 18:40   #174
BHPian

If one goes by 'The level of refinement , the rev-happy nature, of Honda Petrol engines' . The following statement may not be farther from truth : 'The Honda Petrol engines are the best when it comes to refinement, rev-happy nature, and the ability to provide the best output at high-power band' especially when Honda petrol engines are compared to the Petrol engines of the rest of Japanese car makers in our market.--I know, some would dis-agree with me, and may object to the above statement , calling it gross exaggeration!.But, I would like to say that I am infatuated by thier Petrol engines.

Therefore, Credit goes to Honda, for the level of research, expertise and commitment they have expended in Petrol engine technology, that enables them to plonk the best Petrol engines in thier cars. If such is the level of research, expertise and commitment that has gone into manufacturing Diesel engines--And I have no doubt about it--then one wonders what kind of splendid response thier Diesel engines are waiting to garner once these Diesel engines are plonked in thier cars.

Nevertheless, taking into consideration the Honda Amaze.I would like to state beforehand that, neither I am a fan of Brio looks nor of Amaze. However, the diesel engine that would be plonked in that car is a sure winner and only by the dint of that engine alone , that car may be a winner--Not to forget, that the price of that product is of vital importance as well, and at the same time, whats 'under the hood' is of vital importance to me other than anything else.

Yet, I am a big fan of the City, Accord and CRV.Thus, I am waiting for Honda to induct diesel technology in those vehicles as well.

In the game of chess, all right moves need to be made in order to win the game.The last set of moves that lead to checkmate, being crucial.Honda needs to make that last move right: Price. And the game is won.
Old 26th November 2012, 22:21   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I hope this will not become another taxi segment favorite .
And why should it not? Why should the Amaze be the monopoly of private buyers?

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong if a car is a hit among the tourist/taxi segment and private buyers alike. In fact, it reassures me when I see a car which is popular among the taxi segment, especially since tourist/taxi drivers can well stretch the car to its limits. In fact, companies can get fantastic feedback of a car by simply interacting with the tourist/taxi segment.

A car's popularity among the tourist/taxi segment could mean that the car has some of the following combinations:

1. Cheap to own, but expensive to run
2. Expensive to own, but cheap to run
3. Expensive to own, but reliable to run

In my opinion, cars like Toyota Innova are a hit among tourist/taxi segment because of the third combination.

The Ertiga, for example, has become a popular tourist car here in Goa for two main reasons -- space and the Maruti tag. I was seriously considering the Ertiga as my next car. That is, until the Honda Amaze amazed me (going by this team-bhp's first drive).

I only hope Honda prices it right to ensure it is a worthy alternative to the popular Swift.

I would be happy if a lot many Honda Amaze cars are sold in India. Whether they are bought by the private or tourist/taxi segment would make little difference to me. If the Amaze scores well with the tourist/taxi segment, it will be a class topper in my book.
misquitas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 05:25   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas

And why should it not? Why should the Amaze be the monopoly of private buyers?
For a number of reasons, two of which come immediately to mind-

- being flagged down by cops all the time, esp traveling out of state since yours is a taxi favorite but registered as a private car.
- losing the brand value of the car, remove since it is driven by so many crazy call center cabbies around.

Being a taxi segment favorite is good for the manufacturers because if the volumes that brings in and probably the feedback as you say, but it does kill the image of that particular model and that isn't very good for a prospective owner.

(the only good thing for the owner would be when he's ready to sell it- he'll get good resale since there'll be enough takers in the second hand market )
Old 27th November 2012, 09:01   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
Can you please 1. Post the interior Pics?
As Vid has mentioned earlier no one was allowed to take the interior shots as this was just a prototype & not a production model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
The indianautosblog seems to have put the interior pics:

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/h...revealed-55452
Brother the IAB link that you have referred to, has only the YouTube video of the Thai Amaze commercial. I could not find any interior pics in that link. Am I getting something wrong here?
Old 27th November 2012, 09:06   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Brother the IAB link that you have referred to, has only the YouTube video of the Thai Amaze commercial. I could not find any interior pics in that link. Am I getting something wrong here?
Posting it here from the link:

Name:  HondaBrioAmazeStudioshots7.jpg
Views: 18883
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  HondaBrioAmazeStudioshots2.jpg
Views: 4357
Size:  37.9 KB

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/h...e-launch-55458
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 10:48   #179
BHPian

Smile Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

That was a surprise review! And a good one too!

Quote:
The Amaze is basically the Brio hatchback with a boot, just as the Swift & Dzire, Vista & Manza and Polo & Vento. When I first saw the Amaze in person, my impression was that of a very smart looking sedan. Unlike the boring Etios or quirky Dzire, the Amaze is extremely proportionate. It looks like a chic, proper sedan and not one whose boot seems to be an after-thought.
Regarding the looks, I would agree but to a certain extent.
  1. While the Dzire is more boxy, careful observation reveals that Amaze isn't fully boxy-free.
  2. From front three-quarters, this Amaze reminds me of the 2nd generation Honda City (a fat hen running around with raised tail feathers) which then had a partial resemblance with the Indigo of that period.
  3. From the rear three-quarters / side profile, the Dzire's 2nd box looks very swollen, but not so with the Amaze.
  4. Box 3 integration for the Amaze looks better than that of the Dzire, but I feel the inherent nature of make-shift sedans (sub-4-meter) doesn't allow much room for sleek and elegant designs.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:13   #180
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2012 at 13:57.
alpha1 is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread