Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 28th November 2012, 23:06   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Finally the Honda diesel in sight ! India is tough market and for Honda, the lack of diesel surely lost them many a sale. For the Amaze to be successful, the price will be crucial. It should not be more than 5% of the Dzire. It seems Indian customers can live with quirky oddball looks, such as the Dzire, the older Hyundais - but to me the Amaze doesn't look any better. I'm not taken in by the Brio's styling either, so I guess it follows.

Eagerly waiting for pricing , and a look in person, to decide if I would buy one or not.
Old 29th November 2012, 16:38   #197
BHPian

Dunno how I missed this thread so long!!!

I think Honda have their equations right this time around. But the million dollar question is, by when will they bring it for sale?

As of now, this product would give every other sedan in its segment a run for their money. The Honda City has tremendous good will in India, at one point of time it was called the Executive's Maruti. People still swear by its driving pleasure.
A cheaper Honda Sedan would definitely be well accepted. And as far as looks are concerned, this one is beauty compared to the competition.

But it all depends on when Honda brings its to the market. Hope no one else springs a game changer before they do.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:03   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet
...I think they should have gifted this engine to City. Nevertheless, amaze looks amazing with all proportionate body with a figure thats going to make the heads turn.
City also will get it, eventually. Current gen City doesn't have much life left to introduce, test & launch a diesel heart. Expect new gen City to sport a diesel engine, in 2014 mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet
...But the question here is, when is it going to come. The car buyers who are planning to buy a car in next couple of months may like to know the answer.....
Mar/Apr 2013 is the speculated launch date for Amaze.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:05   #199
BHPian

Just visited Honda's Thailand website and got the following details. I haven’t gone through the whole thread, so please excuse if some/all information has already been posted by fellow BHPians
  • Boot capacity seems to be 400 litres which is pretty good and trumps Dzire’s 316 litres easily. But the Thai Amaze comes with a space saver as per its specs sheet, so a few litres less can be expected in the Indian version with a full-size spare tyre. This detail is as per the video posted on their website.
http://www.honda.co.th/microsite/brioamaze/

Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven-amazaboot.jpg

Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven-amazespacesaver.jpg
  • The petrol version with manual gears is super-light at just 925 kgs – even lighter than B+ segment hatchbacks
http://www.honda.co.th/microsite/bri.../interior.html
  • Interiors are similar to Brio except the rear door panel which now includes a door pocket / bottle holder and properly placed power window switches in the door armrest (though all power window switches still not back-lit), plus there is the rear seat armrest with a couple of cup-holders. So a total of 9 cup/bottle holders. Also there is a rear quarter-glass.
Name:  amazereardoor.jpg
Views: 10274
Size:  86.4 KB
  • Non-adjustable front & rear headrests – same as the Brio
  • There seems to be a separate switch for central locking
Name:  amazecentrallocking.jpg
Views: 14900
Size:  86.7 KB
  • No cabin light in the front, let alone individual map/spot lights - only one lamp in the centre on the roof

Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven-amazecabinlamp.jpg
  • Also the Thai version seems to have a rear defogger switch where the Brio has a switch for fog lamps. So possibly the lights stalk mounted behind the steering column could be different. Strangely the Thai version is shown without steering mounted audio controls, whereas the Indian Brio has it.
Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven-amazecc.jpg Name:  briofoglamp.jpg
Views: 8271
Size:  37.1 KB

Last edited by jessie007 : 29th November 2012 at 17:08.
jessie007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 16:58   #200
xPK
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Honda definitely have left no stones unturned for Amaze. The Japanese giants are all woken up, woken up and how! Expect long waiting period within few weeks after launch.
As TBHPian I feel really proud to see we are being invited internationally! Kudos to the team as well!
Last but not least, "Great Job Honda!"
Old 1st December 2012, 09:39   #201
Team-BHP Support

Guys, if you want to see more pics of the Amaze check out this gallery:

http://paultan.org/2012/11/30/honda-...r-makes-debut/

Lots of pictures of the back seat and the boot space.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 10:24   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys, if you want to see more pics of the Amaze check out this gallery:

http://paultan.org/2012/11/30/honda-...r-makes-debut/

Lots of pictures of the back seat and the boot space.
The Air con controls close up pic looks interesting, I guess this should change in the India spec as the Brio already has the conventional scheme.
  • No heater? - only blue zone throughout and no red zone
  • No option for front windscreen defogging? - just 2 positions for the rotary knob instead of the usual 5

Wonder if thats the usual way with cars sold in Thailand.

Vid,
do you remember how it was in the car that you drove?
Old 1st December 2012, 10:28   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
The Air con controls close up pic looks interesting, I guess this should change in the India spec as the Brio already has the conventional scheme.
  • No heater? - only blue zone throughout and no red zone
  • No option for front windscreen defogging? - just 2 positions for the rotary knob instead of the usual 5

Wonder if thats the usual way with cars sold in Thailand.

Vid,
do you remember how it was in the car that you drove?
This was discussed in the Brio thread as well. The Thai versions don't have heater and defogging. This will not be the case for India.

The one I drove was similar to the Brio in India with heating and defogging.

Also ignore the fact that the Thai version does not have steering mounted controls.

The pictures are for space, rear seat comfort and boot space reference. Obviously the specs for India will not be similar.
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:11   #204
BHPian

Finally! Honda joining the diesel party was long overdue. Producing super refined petrol engines has always been their forte and I'm sure they will carry on the trait to their diesel motors too. Suggestions for Honda: along with the Amaze, plonk this 1.5L 99HP diesel mill into the Jazz to produce the most complete hatchback in India. Also, get that full-stroke 1.6L version of this diesel engine and plant it in the bay of the City to get the best diesel Sedan in India.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:31   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
get that full-stroke 1.6L version of this diesel engine and plant it in the bay of the City to get the best diesel Sedan in India.
Its more likely that the City would also get the 1.5L version when they launch their next gen City. From what we've heard, the 1.5L at ~99PS would be reasonably powerful for City. Even if Amaze and City share the same diesel mill, City gives a lot of additional value to justify its additional cost. Moreover, the cost savings and advantage that the company would get by sharing the engine should give them the oppurtunity to price it aggressively and still get reasonable profits.

Civic could be getting the 1.6L down the line, but I dont see that happening till they address the segments below. European Civic hatch is already having 1.6L and 120PS/300Nm seems to be more appropriate for the D segment. Moreover, they would need some differentiator for folks to go for Civic over the City. Sharing the same engine would mean City would be more powerful than Civic due to lower weight - not something they would want to do when they are already struggling to get enough selling points for Civic over City.
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:19   #206
BHPian

Had been to Dakshin Honda for test drive of Jazz XMT. During the conversation, just started querying about Amaze. It seems they have already started the booking for Amaze. When enquired about the estimated price, the sales guy just said 'under 10 lacs'
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:04   #207
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Even if Amaze and City share the same diesel mill, City gives a lot of additional value to justify its additional cost.

Civic could be getting the 1.6L down the line, but I dont see that happening till they address the segments below. European Civic hatch is already having 1.6L and 120PS/300Nm seems to be more appropriate for the D segment. Moreover, they would need some differentiator for folks to go for Civic over the City. Sharing the same engine would mean City would be more powerful than Civic due to lower weight - not something they would want to do when they are already struggling to get enough selling points for Civic over City.
I doubt. In fact to compete in today's market, Amaze, City and Civic should be properly differentiated. 1.5 for Amaze, 1.6 for City and 2.0 for Civic would be ideal. IMO 1.6 for Civic will give competition a huge advantage.
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:18   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
1.5 for Amaze, 1.6 for City and 2.0 for Civic would be ideal. IMO 1.6 for Civic will give competition a huge advantage.
If we look at tech specs of most models that have petrol and diesel options, the peak power output would be lower for diesel but that would be compensated by the larger torque of the diesel engine. 120PS/300Nm spec that the 1.6L i-DTec offers is slightly higher power and much higher torque than the current petrol City (118PS/146Nm). This engine on a City would literally smoke the current i-Vtec City, which in itself is reasonably powerful for the segment. Hence the reason I find lower chance of 1.6L making it into the City. On the other hand, ~99PS from the 1.5L coupled with the higher torque for the diesel engine should put the performance on similar lines or marginally lower than the petrol version, which is unlikely to become a deal breaker for customers. With a smaller engine, if there is a production cost saved, that might help them position it more aggressively against the competition.

Having a very efficient 1.6L against a moderately efficient 1.8L wouldn't give the competition any advantage. Petrol Civic churns out something in the range of 132PS IIRC, which should be closer to the performance from the 120PS diesel spec.

As far as I know, there are only 3 diesel engines from Honda as of know: 1.5L, 1.6L and 2.2L. I would be happy to be corrected if there is a 2.0L in production or under final stages of development. 2.2L IMO is more suitable for Accord/CRV.

Also, I've not heard anyone mention City/Civic petrol versions as underpowered. So any diesel version that can give performance on par with current petrol versions should be good enough for the market.

Also remember that Verna and Fiesta, which would most likely be City's competitors have a 90PS diesel engine. Vento has a 105 PS engine but if 1.5L can give 99PS, then the performance can be matched with Honda's weight reduction techniques that we saw on 1.5L.

For the Civic 1.6L, Elantra (again a 1.6) and Cruze would be more powerful and Corolla/Fluence less powerful- which means it would definitely not be something out of league. Again, it is a price sensitive segment where a higher price for 2.0L engine immediately pits it against a different competition where it would lose out on all other aspects except engine.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:12   #209
BHPian

Let's get back to discussing Amaze. Verna 1.6 is 128 hp. And already Honda has declared that the 1.5 i-DTEC is capable of various states of tuning/VGT to power higher models than Amaze. The FGT one is only for Brio platform I suppose.

By the way even 1.5 dCi from Renault is available in multiple power outputs from 75 hp in Micra to 110 hp in Fluence just by tuning and Turbo combinations.

I feel if EcoSport diesel is priced cheaper than Duster, then it'll also surely eat int Amaze since launch are at similar times next year Q2.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:04   #210
BHPian

Honda Compact Diesel sedan has certainly put a spanner in my plans! I was going to book Dzire ZDI shortly after considering Punto MJD Emotion and i20 CRDi Sportz. Though my heart was always set on Punto, my Wife's veto meant we had to ditch a hatchback and consider compact sedans. With only verito and Indigo CS to compete, there was no match to All new Dzire.
Now with Brio Amaze iDTec, things have to wait. If Honda can match Dzire for pricing (with Safety Kit in place), I am game!
:-)
Closed Thread