Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 24th November 2012, 14:35   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Great review Vid !!

Honda has done a good job on the design front. Amaze is quite a looker and a more proportionate sedan unlike the forced look in Dzire.

Brio had some cost cutting on the inside in the form of exposed metal on the doors. Hope it doesn't extend to the sedan as well. It definitely wont be a pleasing sight after paying 9 odd lacs for the car.
Old 24th November 2012, 14:59   #122
Senior - BHPian

Feature and variant spec is yet to be out but I guess we can safely assume that Honda would be having something close to the current Brio's E,S,V variants, with some probable additions.

Looking at the current Swift and Brio to see the features that might be considered by Honda in Amaze, considering they would be pitting this against DZire:

Exclusive features for Swift/Dzire:
Automatic Climate control
Rear Window Defogger
Rear Wiper and Wash (NA for sedans)
??

Exclusive for Brio/Amaze:
??

Personally, I feel they should make the dashboard a little more exciting in Amaze, considering Dzire dashboard is one of the better looking ones in the segment. Does it take so much cost to put in a neatly designed dash?
Old 24th November 2012, 15:01   #123
BHPian

Great Review Vid!

Many things right for this car. Personally I like the looks.

I will be returning back to India mid 2013 and I will be eagerly looking for a good review of production car + owner's initial experiences.

Some things mentioned by other members bug me also :
- GC (one website reported 150mm, which is not so good. DZire is 170mm)
- service : number of outlets and spare prices; hope Honda improves here
- Better wheels

Is temp gauge (engine temp, not ambient) provided?
Old 24th November 2012, 15:18   #124
BHPian

Nice review!

Seeing the Thailand TV commercial videos, the car (in dark blue) looks frugal & smart for a city drive. And a silent D TEC engine, what a combination.

Honda, for sure have a winner in hand.
Old 24th November 2012, 15:21   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Feature and variant spec is yet to be out but I guess we can safely assume that Honda would be having something close to the current Brio's E,S,V variants, with some probable additions.

Looking at the current Swift and Brio to see the features that might be considered by Honda in Amaze, considering they would be pitting this against DZire:

Rear Window Defogger
??

??

Personally, I feel they should make the dashboard a little more exciting in Amaze, considering Dzire dashboard is one of the better looking ones in the segment. Does it take so much cost to put in a neatly designed dash?
I think integrated music system and internally adjustable ORVM is also missing in Brio.
Brio's interior is more function oriented and build to the price which is carried over in Amaze.
The fixed head rest, exposed body metal in door pad, contoured dash etc give it a spartan look.
Quality is good overall though. The space generated in the car is more due to the super thing front seats and flat rear bench. Spacious for the size but not necessarily comfortable.

Dzire on the other hand has got a full fledged interior orientation with right kind of ergonomics and plushness for its class. Yes the quality and fit/finish is equally good, if not better. The legroom at the back is limited but the seats are supportive. Front seats have very good comfort level as well.

Along with that Swift/dzire's suspension is more matured compared to Brio's IMO. Amaze won't be too different from Brio. Swift has more smooth and refined ride compared to Brio. Handling is good with both cars with Swift being slightly better due to its precise steering.

Amaze's trump card will be its diesel engine (sounds better than DDiS),boot space and Honda brand.
Old 24th November 2012, 15:38   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Rear Window Defogger
??

??

Rear defogger was present on the Amaze we drove. Climate control is a nice feature to have but don't expect that in the Amaze since neither the City or Jazz have it as well. It's a feature you will not really miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I think integrated music system and internally adjustable ORVM is also missing in Brio.
Brio's interior is more function oriented and build to the price which is carried over in Amaze.
The fixed head rest, exposed body metal in door pad, contoured dash etc give it a spartan look.
Quality is good overall though. The space generated in the car is more due to the super thing front seats and flat rear bench. Spacious for the size but not necessarily comfortable.
Integrated music system similar to the Brio is present in the Amaze. It also features electrically adjustable ORVM.

The interiors may be apartan but they feel may more premium than a Maruti. The Honda just feels better built than a Maruti.

The front seats with integrated headrests and super thin maybe cheaper but they do the job. The advantage of the thin seats is much better legroom. As long as the seats are comfortable to sit in, I wouldn't really care if they are thick or thin.

The Maruti does have the faux wood and beige but the Honda just feels better screwed together.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 16:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Integrated music system similar to the Brio is present in the Amaze. It also features electrically adjustable ORVM.

The interiors may be apartan but they feel may more premium than a Maruti. The Honda just feels better built than a Maruti.

The front seats with integrated headrests and super thin maybe cheaper but they do the job. The advantage of the thin seats is much better legroom. As long as the seats are comfortable to sit in, I wouldn't really care if they are thick or thin.

The Maruti does have the faux wood and beige but the Honda just feels better screwed together.
The music system 'looks'
like aftermarket in the brio
To be honest, I didn't find Brio's interior quality any better than what it is in a Swift/Dzire. Yeah Jazz is bit better finished but not the Brio.

As far as seats are concerned, thicker ones have better cushioning and support unlike the ones used in Brio and Liva. They 'hold' the passenger better during curvy roads. I feel its just the tactics of generating more volume else we would have seen the same in bigger Hondas as well.

Last edited by Turbokick : 24th November 2012 at 16:24.
Old 24th November 2012, 16:26   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No doubt the Amaze ticks all the right boxes, what with the (expectedly) frugal diesel, space, soft suspension, light controls and (expected) Honda reliability. The Brio is well priced, thus we can safely assume a competitive price for the Amaze. Plus, Honda has learnt a thing or two about being over optimistic with prices.

But don't write off the Dzire just yet. The first-gen Dzire might have been a compromise, the current one is a mega step forward. The interiors felt really nice for the price, refinement levels are good and ride quality is very absorbent. Maruti has raised the bar in the entry-level sedan segment.

The biggest losers from a competent Dzire & Amaze will be the Tata Indigo / Manza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Does this mean that the Diesel Brio spied by GTO has a different noisier Engine when compared to the Amaze?
The Brio diesel I scooped was running a 3-cylinder 1.2L engine; the Amaze that Viddy drove is powered by a 4-cylinder 1.5L motor.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 17:40   #129
BHPian

Vidyut - Great review. This is probably THE car that is going to be game changer. This car could become segment topper

Team-bhp.com has also gone to next level. This is fantastic news for all the auto enthusiasts. This is my opinion is the recognition bestowed for unbiased detailed and trust worthy reviews.

Thanks to the entire team (Modes, DBHP'ians and its members).

The detailed review probably will rest the case but from the initial feedback looks like Honda has done the right thing in creating awareness for its first diesel launch in India.

Good times ahead for customers who are already spoilt for choices
Old 24th November 2012, 18:48   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick

The music system 'looks'
like aftermarket in the brio
To be honest, I didn't find Brio's interior quality any better than what it is in a Swift/Dzire. Yeah Jazz is bit better finished but not the Brio.

As far as seats are concerned, thicker ones have better cushioning and support unlike the ones used in Brio and Liva. They 'hold' the passenger better during curvy roads. I feel its just the tactics of generating more volume else we would have seen the same in bigger Hondas as well.
music system is fine, the dash overall is very minimal, A segment types. swift/dzire waterfall dash is much more appealing if not space liberating.

I'd thoroughly disagree with you Turbokick on the seats aspect. Liva, beat, figo seats offer no cushioning for ride, or support for handling. brio seats are just too ergonomic as far as support as well as cushioning effect goes. I almost bought the car due to its driving feel. swift offers good cushioning but little support.

btw I'm telling about the front seats. I disliked the brio rear seat... partially due to low overall width for 3, low on head room/support, and low door opening for entry exit. and the ride over Sharp bumps was way worse than swift which killed the deal.

AMAZE will be directly pitch against DZire, it better have something going for it in terms of better pricing and better engine (power as well as mileage) I don't think fixed headrests are any issue at all vs DZire, speaking for only the front seats though. zigwheels's adil said rear headrests are better, however ACI says not enough room for 3! let's wait for ride quality review over bumps
Old 24th November 2012, 18:56   #131
BHPian

Great review. Front/back design looks fabulous. Same segment cars have to produce some magic at lesser price to beat this. Any ideas what would be the price in Bangalore?
Old 24th November 2012, 19:46   #132
Senior - BHPian

Today afternoon I watched the Amaze review on Overdrive (CNBC-TV18) & Car & Bike Show (NDTV-Profit). I also watched the YouTube review by Autocar as someone had shared the link in the earlier posts. However none of those reviews could confidently mention even the cubic capacity of the engine, leave aside the power & torque figures. Only Sandeep Srikanth on Overdrive guessed it to be around 100ps & 200Nm. It seems Honda has managed to keep it a secret quite well.

I admire TBHP more now as we have stated confidently say that the i-Dtec under the Amaze's hood is a 1.5L oil burner. It has to be, if Honda has to avail the excise duty benefits. Also the lil birdie, that Vid referred to, revealed the ARAI power rating to be around 99ps & Torque 210Nm, looks quite promising.
Old 24th November 2012, 19:53   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudesam24 View Post
Amaze is not an amazing stunner that it was supposed to be.Somehow the face looks more like the tongue sticking variant of the Hyundai Verna rather than the smart tickley face of the Brio. Thats just a personal opinion though...
Exactly what I felt after seeing the 3/4th angle pic. Why suddenly these sharp edges all around like Hyundai? Wheel size also looks at least one size smaller than it should be. Keeping price in control could well be the reason also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I hope this will not become another taxi segment favorite .
90% chance, it'll. With a decent boot space like that, it's going to be a favourite for all those white cab guys.
Old 24th November 2012, 20:03   #134
BHPian

Good info.

Honda has tried very hard to give the car some character, but IMHO the creases on the sides are a bit over board.

Isn't 100bhp in a car this small too much ? 65~80bhp should have been more than adequate, coupled with a healthy torque.

People are already zipping at 140+ on highways with the MJD and DDiS variants
Old 24th November 2012, 20:04   #135
BHPian

Amazing review Vid6639.

The amaze well amazes me. Honda has always had an upper hand when it comes to interior space maximization and this is a perfect testimony for its man maximum, machine minimum design philosophy.

A diesel is what Honda needed and boy is this a step in the right direction.
I do feel this is going to attract many a buyers from various segments. Might even attract buyers from the City segment just because of the diesel, untill obviously the city gets one.

However now the key factor depends on the pricing. I hope Honda does not "JAZZ" up the pricing and keeps its profit margins in control.

And it makes me proud to be a bhpian and see our fellow mates being invited to an international event.

Cheers.
Closed Thread