Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th November 2012, 13:12   #16
BHPian

Default re: VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)

Congratulations pc73 on both counts: acquiring the refreshed Vento and your recent membership of T-BHP.

The car looks majestic in the 2nd picture - in that three quarters long shot. Really does. In fact, a lot of folks could be forgiven for mistaking her for her older sibling, the Jetta.

Gotta say, the smoked headlamps and those new 6-spoke alloys add character to the car. The white color suits her nicely too.

Enjoy your ride and post some more pics please.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow the new updated Vento. Congrats pc73. I think it might be the first one here on TBHP.

The dashboard reflections were an issue for me as well till I got my (polarized) Oakleys If you are into sunglasses do look gifting yourself a pair (or two) to celebrate your new car.

As for headlamps upgrade, dont bother with 55W ones like NBPs. They dont hold on against oncoming traffic or in rain ( first hand experience ). I guess you should try a setup like el lobos.

Enjoy your car and wish you a nice and long association. Please do post some interior pics. Curious to see what all they have changed in last 6 months (when I got mine).
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:31   #18

Congrats for the new Vento. You will definitely enjoy driving this one.
The blackened lights and new alloys do look good.

Ques: Does the refreshed model come with the latest ECU software? I ask because of the cold start issue.
ABerry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:43   #19
BHPian

@Chethan B G, @arup.misra, @Sommos, @Omtoatom, @joslicx: Thanks for your wishes and comments.

I am now getting motivated to upgrade the headlamps (will not go for a relay setup rightaway, will just upgrade to better bulbs as suggested) and tyres. I am a bit confused about the tyre upgrade after reading through several threads. I see people use 195/60/R15 or 205/55/R15 (latter being more suited, I understand). However, I also read that there are not many options for 205/55/R15 or the tyres are not easily available. Please provide your inputs on brands (I guess Yokos seem to be popular choice) and prices (what difference should I expect to pay after exchanging my 1.5K Kms old Aceleres) ? Any specific suggestions for outlets in Bangalore ?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
Ques: Does the refreshed model come with the latest ECU software? I ask because of the cold start issue.
Thanks ABerry! Not sure; how does one check ? But I have had no issues with cold start.

Cheers!

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th November 2012 at 23:54.
pc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 14:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
I am a bit confused about the tyre upgrade after reading through several threads. I see people use 195/60/R15 or 205/55/R15 (latter being more suited, I understand). However, I also read that there are not many options for 205/55/R15 or the tyres are not easily available. Please provide your inputs on brands (I guess Yokos seem to be popular choice) and prices (what difference should I expect to pay after exchanging my 1.5K Kms old Aceleres) ?

Thanks!
For tyres you should look at Pune junta (mikon, noopster, ninjatalli) I think. Most of them have gone for change recently so they can provide you excellent inputs. Also theres a dedicated Vento tyres thread also on this forum
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 16:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)

Quote:
@Chethan B G, @arup.misra, @Sommos, @Omtoatom, @joslicx: Thanks for your wishes and comments.

I am now getting motivated to upgrade the headlamps (will not go for a relay setup rightaway, will just upgrade to better bulbs as suggested) and tyres. I am a bit confused about the tyre upgrade after reading through several threads. I see people use 195/60/R15 or 205/55/R15 (latter being more suited, I understand). However, I also read that there are not many options for 205/55/R15 or the tyres are not easily available. Please provide your inputs on brands (I guess Yokos seem to be popular choice) and prices (what difference should I expect to pay after exchanging my 1.5K Kms old Aceleres) ? Any specific suggestions for outlets in Bangalore ?

Thanks!
Both the upgrades are within the permitted 2% error. 205 will have a wider contact (very good grip, lesser FE). 195 will have a slightly better GC.

I use 195/60/R15 on Polo and am very satisfied with the Grip / Steering feedback / Control. No difference in FE. GC has noticeably improved. Not much of a difference in Body roll either.

You will not do a mistake by choosing either of them. Also see: http://www.tiresizecalculator.info/

Michelin is a good one - Less Tyre noise, but has soft side walls. Bridge stone is more suited for rough use in Indian condition. Yokos are in between. Depends on your usage and driving condition.

I got 5k for 4 tyres which were driven for 25k Kms. I am using Bridgestone tyres right now. Gives me peace of mind since I drive on all kinds of roads and at odd hours.

All the best.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 18:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Michelin is a good one - Less Tyre noise, but has soft side walls. Bridge stone is more suited for rough use in Indian condition. Yokos are in between. Depends on your usage and driving condition.
Thanks Chetan. I have been using Michelin XM1+ on my Ikon (on second set of Michelins now) and have been very happy. I had used Bridgestone earlier and was happy with them too though found them a bit noisy compared to Michelins but they were more suited for Indian roads, as you said. No experience with Yokos.
Old 30th November 2012, 19:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I got 5k for 4 tyres which were driven for 25k Kms. I am using Bridgestone tyres right now. Gives me peace of mind since I drive on all kinds of roads and at odd hours.

All the best.
You got a pretty good deal there I think. I am guessing you exchanged the Apollos for the Bridgestones. Which Bridgestones did you get? Turanzas or the Potenzas? Also if you got the Potenzas since they are directional tires did you also upgrade your spare to a non-directional one? Would love your inputs on the Vento tire thread.

Quote:
Thanks Chetan. I have been using Michelin XM1+ on my Ikon (on second set of Michelins now) and have been very happy. I had used Bridgestone earlier and was happy with them too though found them a bit noisy compared to Michelins but they were more suited for Indian roads, as you said. No experience with Yokos.
You won't find much options in the 205/55/15 range. I think only the Yoko S drives are available apart from Apollos. The Yokos and Michelins have softer sidewalls running the risk of rupture faster. If you really want to upgrade your tires it might be a better idea to do it earlier than later since you can get a better price for the exchange. Most of the Vento owners here have upgraded to 195/60/15 to take the theoretical GC advantage plus this one gives more options as in Yoko C drives, Michelin Primacies, BS Turanza/Potenza, Continental CPC2 and even the Pirelli P6. You will find more valuable info in the Vento tire upgrade thread.
As for the headlamps, my bad. I have actually upgraded to the Philips Xtreme Vision and not the nightbreakers. I found good improvement after the upgrade. I guess you can go down the same path.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 20:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Most of the Vento owners here have upgraded to 195/60/15 to take the theoretical GC advantage plus this one gives more options as in Yoko C drives, Michelin Primacies, BS Turanza/Potenza, Continental CPC2 and even the Pirelli P6. You will find more valuable info in the Vento tire upgrade thread.
I read your posts on vento tyre upgrade thread. Looks like you are considering Pirelli and BS Potenza since Turanza is no longer available. Please do update on how your upgrade goes (either here or on vento tyre thread). As you said, I need to decide soon (atleast before I hit the 2K mark on odo) on upgrade to get decent price for Aceleres.

Quote:
As for the headlamps, my bad. I have actually upgraded to the Philips Xtreme Vision and not the nightbreakers. I found good improvement after the upgrade. I guess you can go down the same path.
Thanks. Will look at those.
Old 1st December 2012, 00:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)

Quote:
You got a pretty good deal there I think. I am guessing you exchanged the Apollos for the Bridgestones. Which Bridgestones did you get? Turanzas or the Potenzas? Also if you got the Potenzas since they are directional tires did you also upgrade your spare to a non-directional one? Would love your inputs on the Vento tire thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2458341

Sorry! I could not get the Vento Tyre Thread... Can you please post a link?

I have Philips Xtreme Vision on my Polo - Together with the fog lamps, gives a good coverage and through. Highly recommended.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 08:33   #26
BHPian

@Chethan:

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...pgrade-11.html

Quote:
I have Philips Xtreme Vision on my Polo - Together with the fog lamps, gives a good coverage and through. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the recommendation. Need to get this done. Any recommendations on where to buy, price, etc. ?

In your Polo ownership thread, you mention that you have AMC. Is AMC available even for Vento too ? I had a strange experience with the dealership and when I asked about the AMC, the SE asked "Sir, are you sure you want it ?". More strangely, I was asked a similar question couple of times about extended warranty too (which I bought but not AMC). At every point I felt I am making a wrong decision when dealing with Elite Motors, Hosur Road, since the underlying tone always seemed to be "Sir, are you sure you want to buy Vento ?". Wonder what they are up to. Strange!

Have a nice day!
Old 1st December 2012, 08:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I read your posts on vento tyre upgrade thread. Looks like you are considering Pirelli and BS Potenza since Turanza is no longer available. Please do update on how your upgrade goes (either here or on vento tyre thread). As you said, I need to decide soon (atleast before I hit the 2K mark on odo) on upgrade to get decent price for Aceleres.
Yup. The tire change business is better done earlier to reduce the impact on the pockets. As the Turanza ER60 doesn't come anymore in 195/60/15, the only choice is the AR10 in Turanza for which I didn't find enough review feedback to go by. So the choice was between the Potenza G3s and the new candidate Pirelli P6 recommended by the dealer. Read good reviews of the G3s out here on TBHP, the only downside seemed to be the noise and harsher ride qualities. The kind of roads I tend to do makes it difficult to differentiate the cause of harsh rides between the road or the tire. Also found some average reviews of the P6 on international sites and also someone told me that the P6 are not as good as the P7. The only problem is that the G3s are directional tires so tire rotation needs to be done with care. Lets see how it goes. Best of luck with your tire upgrade.

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2458341

Here is the link to the Vento tire upgrade thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2976152. I am considering the Potenza G3s but I think you have upgraded to the RE88s on your Polo. How has been your experience? My tire dealer (fairly knowledgeable guy) was telling me that the G3s are superior to the RE88s. Would love to hear about your experience on the tire thread. By the way for the fog lamps upgrade could you share which lamps did you upgrade to?
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 08:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
So the choice was between the Potenza G3s and the new candidate Pirelli P6 recommended by the dealer. Read good reviews of the G3s out here on TBHP, the only downside seemed to be the noise and harsher ride qualities.
So there are not too many options for Vento tyre upgrade - either 195/60 or 205/55. I am hesitant to go for performance tyres (S-Drives or GIII) since road noise is something that bothers me off late (though I would want to improve the steering feel and handling without compromising a lot on comfort). Looks like I may have to live with Aceleres afterall!

Cheers!
Old 1st December 2012, 09:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on you new Vento. Wishing you many more miles with her. Yours is the first one on the block with the new upgraded features.

Regarding headlight upgrade refer to the below post, should help you a lot.

Link.

For tire, upgrade to 205 55 R15, best & perfect size. Choices available
1. Apollo Accelere (Don't know, earlier were available)
2. Michelin Pilot Preceda II
3. Yokohama S-Drive
4. Continental CPC2
5. Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001 (Availability in India not sure)

That's more than enough choice.

Quote:
I am considering the Potenza G3s
Bridgestone Australia website, says "Please Note: The GIII is now OBSOLETE and has been replaced by the Adrenalin RE001".

Bridgestone Australia Link.

RE001 does come in 205 patch size. Do have a look before upgrade.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 09:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up re: VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)

Quote:
Here is the link to the Vento tire upgrade thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2976152. I am considering the Potenza G3s but I think you have upgraded to the RE88s on your Polo. How has been your experience? My tire dealer (fairly knowledgeable guy) was telling me that the G3s are superior to the RE88s. Would love to hear about your experience on the tire thread. By the way for the fog lamps upgrade could you share which lamps did you upgrade to?
RE88 is a pretty decent tyre. They also last long. IMO, go for the directional thread only if it is very necessary for your use. Otherwise why headache? Feedback is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2977849

I have not upgraded the fog lamps. OEM one's are fairly good. I am satisfied with the spread.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote