Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 19:20   #46
BHPian
 
Motoringlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 396
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Marcus, ML

Cost - actually didnt cost me a lot (touchwood). The mech did not need to replace anything. So apart from the lost fuel (which was drained out), I only paid 1.5k in labor charges.
Thanks for the update, do you have a local independent garage that you use in gurgaon, I live in gurgaon to , but have been using a Bosch service center in Delhi.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 19:31   #47
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

ML - I have a few mechs that I usually go to. One of them is ex-Skoda A** and the other has his own garage on Old Delhi road. They really dont have state of the art setups but they surely understand Skodas. I source my own spares (from Kashmere Gate) and get the work done from these guys. If something is only available inside Skoda A** then either the ex-Skoda guy gets it for me or as a last resort I pay those thieves a visit .
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 12:22   #48
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Seems as if I spoke too soon. The car has shut down on me multiple times in the past week. The problem occurs when it is signiifcantly hot and the car has been running for more than an hour. Got it scanned and there were no fault codes (there were a few but they didnt reappear even an hour of driving - which included the car shutting down - after being deleted). Mechanic thinks the fuel pump has been damaged because of the adultrated fuel that got in to the car. The pump motor is hence malfunctioning after some time of operation. Aslo the low FE that I initially observed after the tank cleaning is for real as well. And the car is also having trouble starting at first crank. So it does look as if the mechanic is right.

So now I will need to get the fuel pump replaced and good ol' Skoda A** has quoted 15k just for the part. Labor plus tax will bring that to 20k. I just want to do this to that petrol pump owner who did this to me
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 19:55   #49
BHPian
 
Motoringlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 396
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Seems as if I spoke too soon. The car has shut down on me multiple times in the past week. The problem occurs when it is signiifcantly hot and the car has been running for more than an hour. Got it scanned and there were no fault codes (there were a few but they didnt reappear even an hour of driving - which included the car shutting down - after being deleted). Mechanic thinks the fuel pump has been damaged because of the adultrated fuel that got in to the car. The pump motor is hence malfunctioning after some time of operation. Aslo the low FE that I initially observed after the tank cleaning is for real as well. And the car is also having trouble starting at first crank. So it does look as if the mechanic is right.

So now I will need to get the fuel pump replaced and good ol' Skoda A** has quoted 15k just for the part. Labor plus tax will bring that to 20k. I just want to do this to that petrol pump owner who did this to me

Hope the car gets back the health soon, might I suggest you try cleaning the injectors if not already done before you decide to change the fuel pump.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 20:15   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Seems as if I spoke too soon. The car has shut down on me multiple times in the past week. The problem occurs when it is signiifcantly hot and the car has been running for more than an hour. Got it scanned and there were no fault codes (there were a few but they didnt reappear even an hour of driving - which included the car shutting down - after being deleted). Mechanic thinks the fuel pump has been damaged because of the adultrated fuel that got in to the car. The pump motor is hence malfunctioning after some time of operation. Aslo the low FE that I initially observed after the tank cleaning is for real as well. And the car is also having trouble starting at first crank. So it does look as if the mechanic is right.

So now I will need to get the fuel pump replaced and good ol' Skoda A** has quoted 15k just for the part. Labor plus tax will bring that to 20k. I just want to do this to that petrol pump owner who did this to me
A similar thing happened to me.

I will suggest you one thing.
There is a fuel sensor or socket type of a thing under the rear seat, from which there is an access to the the fuel tank.

When i had faced the same situation, my service advisor found that to be faulty causing the same problems you are explaining. It is a black unit with some wires going into it and some coloured labels on it. Try if you can get a mechanic to find that for you, meanwhile i will try to find if i have any picture of the same.


EDIT :

Just googled it

Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS-skodafabiaoctaviasuperbvwboramapsensor038906051619p.jpg

This is most probably the part in which that socket / sensor / plug sits. the FUEL MAP sensor is what it is called i guess.

I think its worth giving this a shot.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 7th June 2014 at 20:20.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 15:30   #51
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Hope the car gets back the health soon, might I suggest you try cleaning the injectors if not already done before you decide to change the fuel pump.

Best - ML
That is at the back of my mind as well. Was hoping not to unseat the injectors. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
A similar thing happened to me.

I will suggest you one thing.
There is a fuel sensor or socket type of a thing under the rear seat, from which there is an access to the the fuel tank.

When i had faced the same situation, my service advisor found that to be faulty causing the same problems you are explaining. It is a black unit with some wires going into it and some coloured labels on it. Try if you can get a mechanic to find that for you, meanwhile i will try to find if i have any picture of the same.


This is most probably the part in which that socket / sensor / plug sits. the FUEL MAP sensor is what it is called i guess.

I think its worth giving this a shot.
Thanks a lot Abhinav. I have seen the part that you are talking about as the fuel pump was opened in front of me. This is the socket sitting right atop the pump. Didnt know that this can cause issues as well. Will try to get that replaced first and report back on how it goes.

I am really missing this car. Having to drive a cousin's Pajero and its making me realise everyday what I am missing.

Last edited by Cesc : 10th June 2014 at 15:31.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 18:41   #52
BHPian
 
Motoringlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 396
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
That is at the back of my mind as well. Was hoping not to unseat the injectors. Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't worry the car will be back in the road soon. Good luck.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 13:33   #53
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Just updating this thread a final time. The car is no longer with me. Post the above episode I tried everything to get it back in shape. Spent close to 40k in the process but nothing clicked. The car went to multiple mechanics - including to Skoda A** more than once but no one was able to diagnose the problem or solve for it completely. Skoda A** told me to change throttle body and all pipes after the fuel pump had already been replaced. Throttle body and pipes were quoted at over 50k with no guarantee that it will solve the issue. One mechanic finally changed the cambelt sensor (for 10k) after which the car became 80-90% of what it usually was. But to this day I dont know wether a combination of fuel pump, injectors, valves or cambelt sensor together got it to 80-90% of usual or one of these parts did. The entire time was pretty frustrating and after a while I left it to my brother to sort it out. All I learnt from this - or re learnt from this was - Skoda A** doesnt know their cars.

I sold the car for 1.5 lakhs last month. It had 122k kms on the odo at the time of selling. So I drove the car a total of around 40k kms. I really wanted to keep it with me because I loved driving it everyday but in the end couldnt do so because of this issue. Sad that I had to part company with such a nice and spirited car.

But .. Life goes on ..
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS-skoda.jpg  

Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 13:59   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
vinit.merchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 934 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Sad to hear about your vRS.

But seems you picked another Skoda (maybe TSI as your signature suggests).
You are totally sold to the Skoda's. Good choice, for they are good drivers cars and also provide good safety.

Congrats on your new car.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 12:10   #55
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Yes. I picked up a Laura TSI. That was the only potential replacement for the VRS. I was just used to that engine so much that other cars were not even in consideration. Looked at a few used VRSs as well but all of them were significantly old (7-9 years) and I wanted something that was newer and less run.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap Thrills| Fixing My Broken Innova ORVM genesis Technical Stuff 4 16th September 2009 17:20
cheap thrills hahahaha Sedans 8 7th August 2006 09:03
Cheap Thrills - FIAT Palio 1.6,Ford Ikon 1.6 and Old Honda City 1.5 roms The Indian Car Scene 5 20th June 2006 12:10
Cheap Thrills Money Can Buy!! Jaggu Shifting gears 8 28th February 2006 11:36
Hot Skoda Octavia vRS nikibusa The International Automotive Scene 11 21st September 2005 12:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks