Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th February 2013, 22:38   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Heart 2–0 Mind. Tata Safari Dicor Lx Quartz Black. Aka "The Albatross"

Prowler my reply in Bold and have conveyed your compliments to Albatross and Albatross says thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I see that you have fitted Reverse sensors. I opted for a camera. The view comes in handy when you need to reverse in a 'crowded' awkward area. A wide angle reverse camera with a 4 inch LCD monitor cost me about Rs 6k. Good Looking Albatross.

I opted for a sensor because 2 friends have fitted cameras in their respective cars (SX4 and Vento) and the day time experience is not so great, very blurred pictures is what they get. So opted for the sensors

BTW you posted only 62 messages and you have been thanked 61 times. It is an achievement Panther.
Never realised the ratio/proportion of number of messages and being thanked till you mentioned it Prowler. Thanks But the credit goes to the photos in my travelogue than to me. Thanks anyways..
padikpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 07:52   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Heart 2–0 Mind. Tata Safari Dicor Lx Quartz Black. Aka "The Albatross"

Quote:
Originally Posted by padikpanther View Post
Prowler my reply in Bold and have conveyed your compliments to Albatross and Albatross says thank you.
Not to kill the spirit, but the "Thanked" means that user has thanked 'n' number of times to others' post, not "have been thanked"

And btw, regarding the camera fitment, I am running with the stock reverse camera fitment in my VX and yes, there are occasional glare, but, NEVER useless. In fact, I can take reverse with more confidence on my safari than me driving smaller cars, thanks to the reverse camera. Its just amazing how it calibrates and give us the final video !

I dont know about "after market" fitments.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 10:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Not to kill the spirit, but the "Thanked" means that user has thanked 'n' number of times to others' post, not "have been thanked"
Prem.
Thanks Prem, I think Prowler was the right person to be tagged. As I said earlier, I noticed it when Prowler mentioned it. I've always been a noob as far maths/stats and for that matter even basic grammar is concerned and these figures really don't matter to me.
padikpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 11:00   #34
BHPian

Hi Padik- I am seriously considering changing my hatchback and going for a Safari. Because I want to be sure, I do not only go by what my heart is saying at this point, my question to you is this -- "can it be a practical car for 60% urban city use and 40% highway use?" I work in Gurgaon, which during monsoons provides ample offroading opportunities too!

Is parking the Albatross a challenge every time you go for local shopping trips?

Any advice from you or other Safari owners will be much appreciated. Thank you all!
Masda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 11:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Hi Padik- I am seriously considering changing my hatchback and going for a Safari. Because I want to be sure, I do not only go by what my heart is saying at this point, my question to you is this -- "can it be a practical car for 60% urban city use and 40% highway use?" I work in Gurgaon, which during monsoons provides ample offroading opportunities too!

Is parking the Albatross a challenge every time you go for local shopping trips?

Any advice from you or other Safari owners will be much appreciated. Thank you all!
Let me try to answer that based on some experience, although it purely depends on what your definition of 'practical' is.

Parking shouldn't be that huge an issue once you get used to it. The only problematic areas were frequent clutch usage during peak traffic which can be tiresome, and turning radius.

The new storme has a super light clutch, and turning radius is now reduced too.Try to take an elaborate test drive and see if the ergonomics, seating position etc are fine with you.

Honestly now I really don't see any reason why the Safari cannot be considered practical enough for city usage
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 17:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
"can it be a practical car for 60% urban city use and 40% highway use?" I work in Gurgaon, which during monsoons provides ample offroading opportunities too!

I have a Safari for about 10 years (both TCIC and the DiCOR) and I can tell you Safari is as practical as any other car - except in a very narrow lane. Most other road users don't challenge you and its commanding road presence works in your favor.

Shopping trips ? No problem - you can move half a house in a Safari. I carried my 40 inch LED TV after I bought from the stores in mine.

You may, however have a small issue in the multilevel parking bay in a mall. Every time I go to Express Avenue in Madras, I have a lump in my throat when I move through the narrow passage way.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 10:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Prem, I don't think so. The Thanked count is for the number of thanks the users' posts have received from others; not how many times the user has thanked others. I just double checked on that by thanking a couple of other posts - sadly, my count didnt increase!
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 10:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Prem, I don't think so. The Thanked count is for the number of thanks the users' posts have received from others; not how many times the user has thanked others. I just double checked on that by thanking a couple of other posts .
Yes Anshuman. You are right .

But tell me how did you manage to gain 274 thanks against your total posts of just 139 ?

Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 11:24   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Anshuman. You are right .

But tell me how did you manage to gain 274 thanks against your total posts of just 139 ?
We are going a little OT here, but anyways - my real name is Amitabh Bachhan, which is why so many thanks!

Jokes apart, I think this is because of the fact that I posted a review of my Pajero Sport, which got me all these thanks. I think TBHP has good set of people who thank generously for genuine effort, and we all love that!

PS: your Thanks count just increased!

Last edited by anshuman_v : 16th July 2015 at 11:26.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 16:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Safari for about 10 years (both TCIC and the DiCOR) and I can tell you Safari is as practical as any other car - except in a very narrow lane. Most other road users don't challenge you and its commanding road presence works in your favor.

Shopping trips ? No problem - you can move half a house in a Safari. I carried my 40 inch LED TV after I bought from the stores in mine.

You may, however have a small issue in the multilevel parking bay in a mall. Every time I go to Express Avenue in Madras, I have a lump in my throat when I move through the narrow passage way.

I've moved a 230 lts samsung fridge to a friends house in my Ertiga . Beat that now . I dont think the safari would do that , or will it . I think the safari too should be able too , with the seats folded .

Someday I shall own the storme !
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 07:38   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I've moved a 230 lts samsung fridge to a friends house in my Ertiga . Beat that now . I dont think the safari would do that , or will it . I think the safari too should be able too , with the seats folded .

Someday I shall own the storme !
Dude!! Don't do that. Electronics and whit goods are extremely fragile and that's why movers and packers encase them in wooden boxes to prevent road shocks. By some jugglery one can fit anything within a Storme or a long car, but it also involves damages to the plastic, leather etc. IMO not worth the effort.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 14:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Let me try to answer that based on some experience, although it purely depends on what your definition of 'practical' is.

Parking shouldn't be that huge an issue once you get used to it. The only problematic areas were frequent clutch usage during peak traffic which can be tiresome, and turning radius.
Quote:
Hi Masda,
I concur with all the points already touched upon by Avisidhu and Prowler. What I would like to add is - in case you are thinking of a Dicor: pls check if the marginally wider turning radius is the only thing you would want to be ok with before taking the plunge and a test drive should suffice. Rest everything is like shifting from a smaller home to a REALLY BIG 2 BHK on wheels. I personally find Albatross to be very practical to my definition of the word. My experience so far as far as parking is concerned: Safari always gets a preferential treatment and most of the times I’ve landed up getting a special place in the malls/theatres. Maybe the parking attendants are just trying to make their life easy by allotting the truck an ‘easy to get in and easy to get out’ parking bay, but who cares To answer your question about the usage pattern mine 50% city and 50% highway and still find it a right fit for my needs. Hope this answers your query.
padikpanther is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 14:50   #43
BHPian

I too believe Safari is well suited for the city driving , However It depends on the city as well, I used my Safari for 2 years in Delhi/Noida and faced no issues anywhere, wide roads plenty of parking spaces made it easy, My daily run was almost 70km from Dhaula Kuan to Noida Phase 2.
But I never felt comfortable in driving it in Meerut my hometown, where i used to go on weekends. There I used to take out the Swift or the Wagon R.

Now that I have shifted to Pune, my usage has drastically reduced. It's a pain to find a parking spot wide enough for the Safari in any market. The roads are not wide enough for a U-turn, I end up reversing at least once and with everyone impatient, it's a very difficult task to do so with vehicles moving from both sides, no one stops even for a second. Plus, the city traffic consists of mostly 2 wheelers who are constantly cutting in & out of your lane,hence I prefer taking out the smaller car, Alto or my Bullet for the daily commute to work and any errands in the city.
Safari is mostly parked through the weekdays, unless we decide to see a late night show and is used for the highway and other weekend trips around Pune.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote