Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th February 2013, 00:16   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Love at first drive - The story of my Skoda Laura 1.8L TSI

Congrats. The cf wrap job looks amazing!! Do you happen to live in the lokandwala area? The building seems familiar. If you have another 25-30k laying around get it tuned by revo. My buddy karan shah at ks motorsports does it. Its night and day difference. He actually happens to have the same exact car remapped so you test out his car.

Cheers drive safe.
i<3turbo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 04:02   #17
BHPian

Congratulations Shreyas and welcome to the TSI club. As Santhosh pointed out, keep the revvs a little higher and get used to coasting

Fellow member Robi (robimahanta) changed the fuel efficiency reading for me by swapping some of the things to Japanese I think, not sure. But dont you worry, you will always have help at hand, just wait for some of our members (Akshay1234 / akki etc) to stumble upon this thread. Based on my experience they know far more than what folks at Skoda do (especially on VCDS) and at times I wonder, must be more than the one's who designed them

Once again, congratulations - TSI is a fine choice, happy mile crunching and get used to the pain you develop from ear to ear grin that will be pasted each time you drive her!
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 08:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It has come out well. You just can't stop praising 3M workmanship. The thread on KarthiKK's Punto is a classic example. Your car too does look good with the wrap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
The carbon stickering indeed, is a very welcome job which makes the interiors look very sporty.
Thanks friends! As Shivang said, the interiors look more sporty and its a change that I did to get slightly different look. And yes, KarthiKK's Punto is one hot hatch and the wrap looks fantastic on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Excellent choice my man, the 1.8 tsi is a gem of a motor. Try to get a set of vrs or elegance rims, 17s, and you will see the difference it makes. Welcome to the tsi club, and happy driving....
Quote:
For some reason, I always feel that the alloys of the Laura don't ever make justice to it. Inspite of being an enthusiast's delight, it still looks plain Jane with those shoes. Please get her a new set of hot alloys and that would compete the look. The silver colour would simply add more flair to it.
Thanks prithwi & Shivnag! I was thinking about RS rims 16s but the total cost of swapping was ~ 60-75k so decided against it. This change is on cards but some time in future. Not sure about 17s though, as I wouldn't want to compromise the ride quality.

Quote:
Additionally, is it only in the pictures that it seems like that there's also a red light in the side step garnish? Or, is it really? If, yes, super stuff!
The side step garnish is indeed illuminated but its blue in colour, may be the colour in some pic wouldn't have come out correctly. Got these from Skoda itself. I thought a different colour would be great like red, but blue looks cool and very soothing. You can see the actual colour in the first pic under interiors post and also notice the same in post no. 12 (the pics before carbon wrapping was done).

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
Congrats. The cf wrap job looks amazing!! Do you happen to live in the lokandwala area? The building seems familiar. If you have another 25-30k laying around get it tuned by revo. My buddy karan shah at ks motorsports does it. Its night and day difference. He actually happens to have the same exact car remapped so you test out his car.

Cheers drive safe.
Thanks i<3turbo. I live in Goregaon (E), Raheja Heights. Regarding the remapping, will it void warranty? No harm in testing it out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Congratulations Shreyas and welcome to the TSI club. As Santhosh pointed out, keep the revvs a little higher and get used to coasting
Thanks azeem! I have gone through yours as well as Santhosh's review apart from others, loved reading them. I will keep those revvs higher for sure, thats the reason I bought this car at first place .

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Fellow member Robi (robimahanta) changed the fuel efficiency reading for me by swapping some of the things to Japanese I think, not sure. But dont you worry, you will always have help at hand, just wait for some of our members (Akshay1234 / akki etc) to stumble upon this thread. Based on my experience they know far more than what folks at Skoda do (especially on VCDS) and at times I wonder, must be more than the one's who designed them
Very well said. I think what options to select for activating a certain feature is also given in some threads, will make a note of it and try and get those activated at the *** when I go for the first free checkup. And yes, will check with fellow bhpian before going to Skoda ***.

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 5th February 2013 at 09:01.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 10:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Laura Shreyas May you get all the joy you wanted in the long run!

Regarding the shortcomings that you posted, I think you should go through this thread wherein he has installed some of the missing features.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ther-mods.html (My Laura with a Bilstein B14 suspension & many other Mods)

It will burn a hole in your pocket though
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 12:36   #20
BHPian

Congrats Shreyas! It's a detailed and well written ownership report supplimented with quality pictures. Enjoy your ride.

Quick Question: In your post you mentioned that "When I was anyways going to buy a 2011 car" Any reason why you were ready to buy almost a year old car? Was it because of the discounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
WHile coasting the engine consumes Zero fuel. Yes ZERO fuel. You can check the instantaneous FE read out on the MID.
Slightly OT. Zero Fuel - I guess you meant Zero additional fuel apart from the regular fuel which is being consumed to run the engine! But this MID thing - I am not really sure if it is accurate. For e.g., you start the car, run for a while and if you idle it for few minus...the fuel consumption goes up.

Once my car was being checked for A/c issue and it was kept running for about an hour in the workshop and I could see the MID showing somewhere around 25l per 100 kms (this is not the instant one but average fuel consumption) which translates to 4 kmpl. The car is idlying and why would it consume more fuel then while it is being driven?

In fact - after a long run from Chennai (and few days of driving in Bangalore city after coming back) - it gave 14+kmpl (mine is TDI) using tankful method but the MID showed the average fuel consumption in MID showing as 8l per 100 kms i.e., 12.5 kmpl.

So - not a useful feature! I simply reset the trip meter everytime I fill Diesel and if it gives around 800 kms for full tank (tank capacity is 55l) - I am happy

Last edited by maheshramaling : 5th February 2013 at 12:40. Reason: formating
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 13:01   #21
BHPian

It wont void warranty and if u do run into any troubles u can always have it rwmapped to stock for free and put it back on for free
i<3turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 14:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
I could see the MID showing somewhere around 25l per 100 kms (this is not the instant one but average fuel consumption) which translates to 4 kmpl.
the average fuel consumption in MID showing as 8l per 100 kms i.e., 12.5 kmpl.
I hope you do know that you can change the MID settings to display kmpl instead of litres per 100 kms. Or you have kept it that way intentionally?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 14:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I hope you do know that you can change the MID settings to display kmpl instead of litres per 100 kms. Or you have kept it that way intentionally?
I know that people have changed using the VAG COM cable but I don't have one. Also - when enquired with service center - they said it's not possible due to VAS system restrictions. Looks like Skoda has configured those VAS system to be used basis certain parameters/ car.

In fact the service manager said when they were using VAG COM cable in the past - they were able to play around with the system much more freely.
Old 5th February 2013, 17:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Slightly OT. Zero Fuel - I guess you meant Zero additional fuel apart from the regular fuel which is being consumed to run the engine!
No I meant Zero fuel. When I say 'coasting', I don't mean to say that you should coast in neutral. Instead cost in-gear where you simply lift off the throttle. When the engine is idling obviously it consumes some fuel to keep the engine idling. But when you coast in-gear the ECU cuts off the fuel supply and engine is now driven by the wheels. When you coast in gear the instantenous fuel consumption will show zero, which I feel is a fairly correct representation. Instead if you cost in neutral it will not show Zero.

Quote:
But this MID thing - I am not really sure if it is accurate. For e.g., you start the car, run for a while and if you idle it for few minus...the fuel consumption goes up.
It is fairly accurate. When you idle the car, your car is consuming fuel but you are not moving. The more time you car spends idling, higher will be average fuel consumed for the trip.

Quote:
Once my car was being checked for A/c issue and it was kept running for about an hour in the workshop and I could see the MID showing somewhere around 25l per 100 kms (this is not the instant one but average fuel consumption) which translates to 4 kmpl. The car is idlying and why would it consume more fuel then while it is being driven?
If you had kept it idling for two hours then the avg might well have been 50l/ 100 kms. . Theoretically your idling car is less fuel efficient than say even an Hummer H2 on the move, as you are consuming fuel and not moving. That is the reason why, when you are idling the engine, the instantaneous fuel consumption read out on the MID is displayed in lts/hr rather than lts/ 100 kms.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 18:42   #25
BHPian

Congrats Shreyas! I bought one of these in Chennai at around the same time. Got mine in September 2012. Drive out price of 13.4L. The engine is really to die for. Mileage was not on my mind when I bought this but the cars given me between 10.5 and 16 for the 5k+ km that I've driven it. Taken me totally by surprise. I don't get this on my Swift
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 18:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Congrats Shreyas! I bought one of these in Chennai at around the same time. Got mine in September 2012. Drive out price of 13.4L. The engine is really to die for. Mileage was not on my mind when I bought this but the cars given me between 10.5 and 16 for the 5k+ km that I've driven it. Taken me totally by surprise. I don't get this on my Swift
Not to be mean... but I got my vrs for that much... hehehehehe...
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 20:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Not to be mean... but I got my vrs for that much... hehehehehe...
Wow... are you guys serious about the on-road-prices you paid?! Bangalore on road prices for TSI MT is 17.82L ( 18.14L incl drive assure + ext warranty) and VRS is 20.56L (20.89L incl drive assure + ext warranty)

To get a car at 13.4L, on needs a 4.4L discount of tsi mt and 7.1L discount on vrs :-)
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 20:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Wow... are you guys serious about the on-road-prices you paid?! Bangalore on road prices for TSI MT is 17.82L ( 18.14L incl drive assure + ext warranty) and VRS is 20.56L (20.89L incl drive assure + ext warranty)

To get a car at 13.4L, on needs a 4.4L discount of tsi mt and 7.1L discount on vrs :-)
Well if the vrs was still available.... hehhehehehehehe. It's sold out. Got mine at 13.4+1.3 on road Delhi.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 20:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Very well said. I think what options to select for activating a certain feature is also given in some threads, will make a note of it and try and get those activated at the *** when I go for the first free checkup. And yes, will check with fellow bhpian before going to Skoda ***.
The service centre will not be able to activate those, speak to a member like pz16 or akki_5 for help on that. They have VCDS cables, and both are very helpful.

Congrats on the car, it is the most fun car below 30l. Which 3M did you get the wrapping done at? Also did they remove the interior trim to do it? And did they handle the trim carefully? Any noises or squeeks after putting it back in?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 21:14   #30
BHPian

Thanks Santosh!

Quote:
It is fairly accurate. When you idle the car, your car is consuming fuel but you are not moving. The more time you car spends idling, higher will be average fuel consumed for the trip.

If you had kept it idling for two hours then the avg might well have been 50l/ 100 kms. . Theoretically your idling car is less fuel efficient than say even an Hummer H2 on the move, as you are consuming fuel and not moving. That is the reason why, when you are idling the engine, the instantaneous fuel consumption read out on the MID is displayed in lts/hr rather than lts/ 100 kms.
Guess - this is logical; when the car is idling there is very little external air moving past the radiator which inturn creates more heat. The more heat the more the engine has to work to cool it down, obvisouly uses more fuel to do that. When the car is moving there is more kinetic energy pushing the car so the engine uses less fuel to move.

However MID showing up 25l or 50l per 100 kms - is absurd and I don't think it is accurate.

Quote:
No I meant Zero fuel. When I say 'coasting', I don't mean to say that you should coast in neutral. Instead cost in-gear where you simply lift off the throttle. When the engine is idling obviously it consumes some fuel to keep the engine idling. But when you coast in-gear the ECU cuts off the fuel supply and engine is now driven by the wheels. When you coast in gear the instantenous fuel consumption will show zero, which I feel is a fairly correct representation. Instead if you cost in neutral it will not show Zero.
Let's say I hit Hyderabad highway in the night (traffic being light) with 50 liters of diesel in my tank and do this coasting in 5th Gear (which will bring about 40 to 50 kmph) and say I cover 500 kms like that....as per your theory - even after covering 500 kms - I should have 50 liters left intact in my tank? Is that what you are saying?