Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th May 2013, 17:51   #16
BHPian

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
Congrats RajeshSundaram for the buy.
I completely agree on the value proposition for Xylo and that the pros outdo the cons. That very nice (majestic) seating position is just one of the many pros of choosing this over any other UV (Innova included).

Hoping experts on the forum can help advise on the differences between the E and H versions - other than the well advertised engine/fuel efficiency aspects.
For example, the dimensions for E version in mm were 4520 (Length), 1850 (Width), 1895 (Height), 206 (Ground clearance). For the H version it seems to be 4525 (Length), 1770 (Width), 1880 (Height), 186 (Ground clearance). There is no change in Turning Radius or Wheelbase. (Hope I am correct on these specs as I am unable to download the ebrochure from Mahindra Xylo site, the info is from other websites).
  • Does the length increase of 5 mm translate to better luggage space at the back (the small luggage space with all seats in place is the biggest drawback of the Xylo in my experience of living with the Xylo for the last 4 years)
  • Decrease in height and ground clearance - presume this lowered stance translates to much better stability / dynamics / road grip. I don't remember my Xylo ever bottoming out - even on the worst of speed breakers or roads, hope the reduction in ground clearance does not change that behavior.
  • Decrease in width - I guess this is now made equal to the Innova. Presume this translates to better agility in traffic / ability to squeeze into gaps / perception of being easier to drive.
Thanks manij.

I do not think the dimensions are changed. The ~80mm width difference in E and H series seems to be huge. I do not think H series went on a diet.

May be the GC between H and E series could vary by a few mm. As far as I know, 2012 onwards, E series received the EST update for the suspension / handling part.

It is always best to take the non-OEM website data as a pinch of salt. And Mahindra never bothers to update the complete specifications in their website.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 23:43   #17
BHPian

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
For example, the dimensions for E version in mm were 4520 (Length), 1850 (Width), 1895 (Height), 206 (Ground clearance). For the H version it seems to be 4525 (Length), 1770 (Width), 1880 (Height), 186 (Ground clearance). There is no change in Turning Radius or Wheelbase. (Hope I am correct on these specs as I am unable to download the ebrochure from Mahindra Xylo site, the info is from other websites).
  • Does the length increase of 5 mm translate to better luggage space at the back (the small luggage space with all seats in place is the biggest drawback of the Xylo in my experience of living with the Xylo for the last 4 years)
  • Decrease in height and ground clearance - presume this lowered stance translates to much better stability / dynamics / road grip. I don't remember my Xylo ever bottoming out - even on the worst of speed breakers or roads, hope the reduction in ground clearance does not change that behavior.
  • Decrease in width - I guess this is now made equal to the Innova. Presume this translates to better agility in traffic / ability to squeeze into gaps / perception of being easier to drive.
I am no expert in this dimensional issues, but the difference in width could have been due to ORVM not being considered for measurement ( The Xylo has big ears) and similarly for ground clearance the integrated footsteps not considered again.
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 20:48   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase Rajesh.

The Xylo is certainly a great vehicle and I would have bought a Xylo E9 Java Brown, which was my wife's first choice, given the sheer spaciousness of the vehicle in all rows- except that we found a ready for delivery black Scorpio LX 4WD (which someone else had cancelled apparently) that was just waiting for me at Sterling Motors, Gurgaon , and that was totally irresistible for both of us.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:01   #19
BHPian

Has the 'E' variant been discontinued now. I am not able to find it on any site!?
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-xylo.jpg
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 00:01   #20
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, the E has been discontinued and replaced by the H.

Basically the Xylo model nomenclature were as follows :

D - mDI engine
E - mEagle and mHawk engine

The mEagle engine has been discontinued and hence all the E models have been renamed to H.

More details on this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...continued.html (Mahindra Launches new H series Xylo, with M-Hawk Engines. M-Eagle discontinued.)

Last edited by v12 : 4th June 2013 at 00:12.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 20:09   #21

Is that possible to alter the middle row seats (Captain or bench type) to slide-able one?. If it can be done, XYLo will be the most comfortable car. The only big problem in xylo is large amount of jolting when pass thru bad roads and some bad quality of plastics in it. Other than that it is an excellent car.
sundar04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 12:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rajesh. Happy to see another Xylo owner. Same pinch on color, check my avtar.

Just little above 50K my odo, I swear you would not regret the buy but please change yourself from a perfectionist .

I am so happy to see the fabric on your car, its very comfortable for our climate. In between, Xylo E6 and E8s had art leather which was a real compromise.
jacs is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 13:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar04 View Post
Is that possible to alter the middle row seats (Captain or bench type) to slide-able one?. If it can be done, XYLo will be the most comfortable car. The only big problem in xylo is large amount of jolting when pass thru bad roads and some bad quality of plastics in it. Other than that it is an excellent car.

True. Certain bad roads may create the jolting. But the new xylo has improved, compared to the old one I test drove years ago. Some careful driving on bad roads can reduce the jolting. Xylo in not an Innova or a sedan. One should bear in mind that it has a body-on-ladder frame construction.

@jacs
Thanks. Yeah I know I cannot be a perfectionist and expect the same from Xylo. I have adjusted myself to it.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 13th June 2013 at 13:04.
Old 26th June 2013, 20:54   #24
BHPian

Talking re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

The Mahindra Xylo newsletter for April-June 2013, features this review in the CUSTOMER SPEAK section

http://mahindra.mailcenter.in/cequit...03f1427409d41d

Looks like ppl from Mahindra are following TBHP regularly.

Name:  newsletter.jpg
Views: 3220
Size:  47.6 KB
Old 27th June 2013, 10:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
The Mahindra Xylo newsletter for April-June 2013, features this review in the CUSTOMER SPEAK section

http://mahindra.mailcenter.in/cequit...03f1427409d41d

Looks like ppl from Mahindra are following TBHP regularly.

Attachment 1102873
Hey buddy, good to know about it. Congrats.

Happy that M&M visits our forum regularly. Many of their niggles will get rectified soon as the quality of feedback is so good .
jacs is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:59   #26
BHPian

Rajesh, congrats.. happened to see that yesterday..very good.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 23:26   #27
BHPian

12000 KMS UPDATE
Every weekend, my Xylo runs between Bangalore and Erode. No matter if it rains or traffic jammed at Electronic City or HSR Layout or Silk Board signal, Xylo lets me find a way to cross through the jams.

Water Cruiser
During one such weekend drive, I just cruised through almost 2 and a half feet of water log near the Electronic City signal. While most other cars got stuck, lorries, tempo travellers, taveras, sumos, xylos and innovas crossed the water log easily. Wifey was happy seeing our xylo wading through the water as if there is no water log.

Services till now
My Xylo has completed two services till now. One, on the 5000 mark, and the other on the 10000 mark. The 10000 mark entry in the "next service due on" sticker made me to arrange the second service.

Brake Noise
Just before the 10000 kms mark nearing, we visited Wayanad for a family trip and there I noticed a peculiar sound coming from the front brakes. Whenever the xylo comes to a slow halt (after a long drive) the front wheels made some "humming" noise. I dont know how to describe it, but it was sort of humming + vibration (without the real body shudder) noise. It did occur on numerous occasions when it was raining and the brakes + wheels were hot after long drives.

10,000 KMS Service at CAI, Erode
So when the 10K kms service neared, I let the job of taking the vehicle to CAI Erode to be handled by my trusted mechanic friend at Erode. But my mechanic friend (he deals with Suzuki) noted that it was not scheduled in the service booklet. I became curious, and found that the 10000 KMS service is proposed at dealer level and not by the company. But having agreed to send the xylo for service, I asked my mechanic friend to get it done. He drove to CAI service garage at Erode and handed the vehicle with clear instructions about the brake noise. After a few days the vehicle was delivered saying that the issues were fixed. My bank balance reduced by Rs.4k when my mechanic friend got the delivery of the vehicle.

Noise was Back!
When I test drove the Xylo everything looked fine. The brake noise was not there. Xylo happily cruised after the visit the CAI Service Garage. But a few weeks ago, when me and wifey was travelling from Erode to Bangalore we chanced to cruise through rain and the brake noise returned back though not as loud as it sounded in Wayanad. Unhappy, I replied to a Facebook update by Mahindra claiming that they topped in some customer satisfaction survey.

After a week, I got a call from CAI Service Station Erode, inquiring about the Facebook update I made. It was Mr.Azar who is the service manager. He noted my concerns and asked me to bring the vehicle. As I was in bangalore I told him that I will bring the vehicle when I visit Erode on 19 July. In the meantime I received a call from Mr.Kamal who takes care of CAI's operations from Coimbatore.

Checking the brakes at CAI, Erode
On July 19th, I visited CAI Erode and the vehicle was promptly attended. During the test drive we noticed the humming noise again. There was no consistent pattern to reproduce, but in some occasions of slow braking, the sound was heard. The engineer who drove the vehicle admitted that indeed the noise is there. We drove back to the service station and my xylo was taken to the service bay. After sometime, the engineer returned to me and stated that the sound appears due to the fact the brake shoe pads which contain less asbestos may create some humming noise when it comes to contact with fine rust on the brake discs. He said that it is a known symptom that can occur in many vehicles, whose wheels and discs when exposed to rain can generate fine-rust deposits on the discs. This rust when comes into contact with the shoe pads may create some noise on slow braking. One another service engineer stated that this is a known issue reported by many Xylo owners.

The engineer pointed out that though there is slight noise, the braking efficiency is still intact. He informed me that there is nothing to worry about and he cleaned all the brake pads and discs. He assured that the noise would not come again and if it occurs again I can bring the vehicle back and he will get me some replacements.

After that, I did not find the noise occurring again. But I am not convinced still. If it occurs, then I am going to take the vehicle back to CAI Erode. Mr Kamal prompty called up later and informed the same to me. He assured that such noises may occur when the weather is rainy and it is not something wrong with the braking systems. He also assured that if the noise occurs again, I can bring the vehicle immediately to the Garage.

Mahindra follows Facebook
It is a surprise that CAI's whole attitude has changed in the recent months. While my purchase experience was nothing to write about, this service follow up through facebook was really amazing. Shows that Mahindra is serious about Social Networking.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 25th July 2013 at 23:30. Reason: corrections
Old 26th July 2013, 11:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Brake Noise
I noticed a peculiar sound coming from the front brakes. Whenever the xylo comes to a slow halt (after a long drive) the front wheels made some "humming" noise. I dont know how to describe it, but it was sort of humming + vibration (without the real body shudder) noise. It did occur on numerous occasions when it was raining and the brakes + wheels were hot after long drives.
I also felt the brake noise on my new H8, but this is after I drove through water when I was in Kerala 2weeks back. But once all got dried up, there is no sound. I don't know if this is the same brake noise you are referring. The brake dust is also considerably high to make the front wheels black
Old 26th July 2013, 12:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I also felt the brake noise on my new H8, but this is after I drove through water when I was in Kerala 2weeks back. But once all got dried up, there is no sound. I don't know if this is the same brake noise you are referring. The brake dust is also considerably high to make the front wheels black
Yes it is the same Brake noise I am referring to. The guys from dealership says it may occur during rains and there is nothing to worry about. Should I live with it? or is that a manufacturing defect?
Old 26th July 2013, 12:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is the same Brake noise I am referring to. The guys from dealership says it may occur during rains and there is nothing to worry about. Should I live with it? or is that a manufacturing defect?
I didn't find any issue with that and I used to get this kind of noise in some of my previous vehicles if running through deep water / heavy rains. Once the disks and pads are dried up, the sound is not there. As long as there is no issue with braking, I am going live with that. But will surely will get it checked if the sound persists even after 1-2 days of driving in dry conditions.
I don't have any knowledge in the technical side of it, and this is purely based on my limited experience.