Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th November 2013, 22:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Incase the CAI ERODE guys are not attending and solving the problem properly, just call the CAI coimbatore . They will give the Erode guys a hard time . Because thats what I did when I took my friends xylo for a seat problem , and the Erode guys were not attending the problem properly and had to deal with the manager through the Coimbatore service centre.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 21:26   #32
BHPian

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

Having run trouble free for 31000 KMS on odo, my Xylo developed a small niggle recently.

Whenever the front wheels are turned towards left or right almost completely, and when the vehicle moves slowly - a "kadak" sound is heard. Took it to Anant Cars, Hulimavu service center a month ago. First they suspected it to the some pin or screws loose and after the service, I did not hear it for few days.

After a few days, the sound started again. This time I took it back for re-checkup, and finally they suspected that either the L/H swing arm could have developed a defect or Ball joint could be faulty. After a few hours I received a call that the Lower Swing Arm needs to be replaced, but the part is not in stock. So they asked to me wait for a week till the part arrives.

So I took the Xylo back to home, and waiting for the part to arrive on time.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 1st June 2014 at 21:41.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 14:14   #33
BHPian

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
and waiting for the part to arrive on time.
Rajesh, nice to meet you at Anant Cars. Hope you got the parts replaced under warranty and vehicle is in good condition.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 15:26   #34
BHPian

Smile re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Rajesh, nice to meet you at Anant Cars. Hope you got the parts replaced under warranty and vehicle is in good condition.
Rajesh, It was nice meeting you there. :-)

Yes, the part was replaced and I am not hearing the "kadak" noise again. Let me wait and see how it goes.
Old 28th November 2014, 12:45   #35
BHPian

My Xylo is nearing the 40K mark.

This time, I am taking it to CAI in my native town (Erode) for the service and repairs. Last time I took my Xylo to Anant Cars, Hulimavu in Bangalore. Service quality was okay, but was not that satisfied due to delays in parts procuring and less-convincing answers.

Here is the list I planned for this service:

1. 40K Scheduled Service
2. Gear Box Problem. 1st and 2nd gears are too tight. False gearing is prominent.
3. Whole vehicle body vibrates noticeably at 40KMPH. Need to check the Lower Swing Arm, Mounts and Flex Discs
4. Front AC Blower is functioning, but the airflow is just 10% of what it used to be.
5. Had a minor collison on the front. The air dam grill got damaged. Will see if that part alone is available for replacement.

Apart from these, the Xylo has proved it mightiness. Xylo is good to travel, there is no lack of space, I never worried about bad roads, drove comfortably at 120 and yet got a respectable FE of 12KMPL.

Will update the thread after I get the vehicle serviced.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

For pt 3 also check if any of the tyres have uneven wear or bulging. For pt 4 you can check if the ac filter is clogged
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 17:16   #37

Hi Rajesh - very interesting insights perfectly reproduced for good reading. Waiting for your update on the 40,000 km service.
Sidjohri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 19:08   #38
BHPian

Default Re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags

Got my Xylo serviced at Anant Cars, Hulimavu (Bengaluru) for 50,000 kms service interval.

The Workhorse
Over the 2 and a half years, Xylo has served us well. It is the highway work horse of our family. We got so much used to it, such that we never think of planning in advance for long trips.

Think of visiting temples or places 300 or 400 kms away? Alright - let's go this weekend. This is the way our trips are planned. We pack the things and start by friday evening from Bengaluru and reach Erode home by night. There we get some sleep, and start early morning with all of our family members and acting driver. After the trip return to Erode for dropping my mom, sis and niece. Get some sleep and drive to bengaluru the next morning. Tiring? No!

Out of 50000 kms, close to 42000 odd were long distance trips.

Rainy? Super heavy rains? Low-visibility? No problem - even with a 10 feet visibility, I was able to cruise safely in my xylo. Brakes are good, and ABS does a good job.

Hot sun? Sultry weather? Chennai's super humid weather? No prob - the AC works good and within 5-10 mins the cabin gets cooler.

Highways? Give me more. Feels at home on highways. Smooth ride, planted ride helps the family members to get some good naps always.

Uneven roads? - Well, this is where the achilles heel of Xylo shows up. The body-on-ladder construction shows it is rigid and strong, and tends to push people to sides. Drive gently and uneven roads to get the best compromise. Toyota Innova beats Xylo in this feature.

Seating Comfort - Big seats, comfortable cushions, allows you to sit comfortably. The middle row seats are flat, and can seat upto 4 people with shoulders touching. No one has complained so far.

Performance - Adequate performance on tap. Mine has a mEagle engine which is bit noisy than the mHawk version. It feels a bit strained after 120, but one can push it even further. Never runs out of breath. I usually drive it around 90 or 100 and extracted the best performance. On highways, I never downshifted to overtake. Just a gentle push on the accelerator pedal, and 112 horses moves the xylo quickly ahead without sweating. Xylo is actually pretty easy to drive in city as well. Sometimes, the heavy clutch pedal proves to be compromising the whole experience. But so far I never got any knee pain in city driving.

Issues & Warranty replacements
Front LH link rod - Replaced under warranty due to some noise arising out of it.
Intercooler - Replaced under warranty after some oil leakage was found
Air Filter Hose - Replaced under warranty after issue was found.
Warranty claims were honoured without any questions. Thumbs up to Mahindra. Most of the time parts were available readily.

One issue which I thought solved by itself started floating up in the past two days is : Flickering of lights. And this shows up when I switch on the cabin lights or headlights with the engine running. But once the RPM increases the flickering goes away. Need to take my xylo to the service center again. This was there a few months ago, but suddenly it solved by itself.

Service Costs - I do not remember the oil service costs exactly. But mostly they were close to Rs.4000 appx every time. I generally do the oil change-topup once in 10K interval.

This time the SA at Anant cars service, tried to include AC Cleanup, Diesel Additive to the service list. But I asked the SA to remove it and saved some Rs.1800.

Dents and Scratches
1. An Accent kissed my RH rear side (where the rear AC condensor is) and made a considerable pit on the outer body shell. No damage to condenser.
2. When reversing, I missed to notice a tall iron post in an apartment (It was pitch dark - no power) - and LH rear got dented just below the LH tail lamp.
3. To avoid a Laura cutting into our queue at Hosur toll gate, I advanced a little bit quickly. And in the hurry I advanced too close and kissed a Leyland chassis. It pushed the space around the Mahindra Logo on the bonnet two inches inside. Also the black grill got damaged. It has not cracked, but the fixing has become loose.

Body Shop quote from Anant Cars
I was quoted Rs.26000 (including new tail lamp and front grill) on the whole to cover up all the above dents. Donít know if this is too high or okay. The SA told me that I cannot claim all the dents under insurance even if I had Bumper to Bumper coverage. Insurance experts can advise.

The Fire Accident
This takes the cake. An eye opener for me. Let me narrate you the series of happenings to understand the whole story better.

In the beginning I had a always-on reverse camera which was purchased online, and installed by City Car Decars, Erode. Yes, that is Decars, not decors. Numerology. It worked perfectly fine for almost two years.

In november 2014, I replaced the OE head unit with Clarion CX201A, 2 din audio system. It was purchased for Rs.6k from snap deal. It was installed at a car accessory dealer who is adjacent to Vignesh Car Jewels, Erode. I do not remember the name now. I let my driver at the spot and came back to home as I had some works. I also fitted a pair of Cerwin Vega components in the front doors.

After a few months I left my Xylo for 40K service at CAI Erode. After servicing, they took the xylo out for trial. On the way returning from trial, the CAI driver smelled smokes and stopped the car. He soon found that the smoke was coming from inside, near the RH last row seat which was already folded. He saw the fire emanating from the side panel, at the floor level. With the help of nearby people, he put out the fire and saved the car. The car was towed to service centre. I reached CAI service the next day and was shown the whole damage.

I do not have the photos with me now. But here is the damage.
The last row RH side panel had a hole 3-4 inches wide and it was blackened partially.
The Seat belt nylon melted because of the fire and became useless
The AC condenser had very good luck that the fire did not damage it.

The Analysis:
Upon analysis the root cause was found to be the wire joint, that powered the reverse camera. I saw a speaker wire was used in between to connect the Reverse cameraís wire and main power supply. The joints were just taped with insulation tape which over the course of time, opened up, and exposed the wires. The exposed wire must have scratched the nearby metal surface, and must have sparked starting the minor fire.

I was speechless when I found that the power to reverse camera was directly taken from the Main supply (behind the steering) without any fuse. I remembered that I asked the City Car Decars guys to install the reverse camera in a on-demand style with a power switch. And since the length of the power cable (packed with the camera) was not sufficient, they have used a speaker cable to join the wires.

Replaced the panel (Rs.3600) and belt assembly (Rs.1200). Did not go for insurance, as the expenses were manageable.

Blame Game
When approached City Car Decars, the owner Mr.Balu was away to Delhi for some car show. The manager was defensive saying that they never do shoddy jobs and blamed the CAI Erode in return. His argument was CAI or some other may have switched the wiring. The manager even argued that since the OE system was replaced in a different place, those guys could have played around the wiring. After some heated debate, he asked me to wait till the owner returns and then discuss. Since I had to travel back to bengaluru, I did not stay till the owner returned.

The result
In retrospect, I found the I am more to blame. I was not there when fixing the reverse camera. I was not there when fixing the Clarion head unit. I was not there when the fire accident happened. In the first two cases I should have been there to notice how things were installed. Had I done that, there would be strong points to argue with City Car Decars.

I never had the time to argue with them further to claim compensation, nor the solid proofs that City Car Decars were the culprits doing such a haphazard job. Unfortunately, I lost that memory card (in which I had the photos) too. So I decided to drop. I decided to move on with other things, than to go on a fight with City Car Decars, with weak proofs.

The faulty wiring were removed, and other wiring mess were cleaned up, and the reverse camera is disconnected now.

The Vow
Never leave your vehicle when any electrical / electronic upgrades are being done. Be there. Notice how the wiring are connected. Power wirings must be properly covered with heal insulated, shrink tubes and not some house hold electrical insulation tapes. And never, ever use a Speaker wire for powering.

Hire a proper installer who does a professional job. If you canít find one, do not do the job. And think a dozen times, before messing with OE electrical wiring.

Other Electronics
Installed a Dash Cam - which still works, but the camera holder has become loose. Uninstalled it, and now bought a new one which is working fine.

Clarion CX201A - Two din CD/USB player which came partially dead on arrival (the CD player never worked) but USB, FM and Line In works flawlessly. Apart from that CD failure, the rest worked fine. When I first listened I was totally heart broken. The SQ was quite bland. The Clarion + cerwin vega combination proved to be a flop.

That moment when I found the Gold mine settings...
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-clarioncx201a.jpg

But after a few months, when I was just fiddling around the settings I found the gold mine. Blame the Clarion engineers who buried the SQ settings so deep in a confusing navigation. For Hi, Mid and Low - there are 3 individual SQ levels to configure. When configured properly, the playback was completely a different game altogether. Need punchy tight bass? Need vocals on top without mixing with hi notes? It does it. Pure magic!

Unlike the Pionners, JVCs which generally adds colours to the music, Clarion does not add colours. It allows you to configure it to your taste. As long as the source recording quality is good - this baby can rock you, make you smile wide. Recommend to use 320kbps encoding to get the best music playback.

Conclusion:
So far the Xylo had brought more smiles. It has its fair share of niggles, but they are niggles and are easily fixable. Never regretted buying this over Innova. :-) As I said in my first review - this is 80% of Innova @ 70% of price.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 7th July 2015 at 19:19. Reason: Adding conclusion and few other bits, Head Unit photo
rajeshsundaram is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 20:38   #39
vdm
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the the fire incident with your car. As you rightly said one should be present all the time when adding some extra accessories to the car & you have paid heavly for this. On the other note, I was just wondering why you went in for a regular double din rather than a touch screen? Hope the xylo is back to its glorry and would be enjoying the ride as before.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th July 2015 at 21:22. Reason: Quoting a large post hampers readability for our mobile users
vdm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 21:12   #40
BHPian

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
Sorry to hear about the the fire incident with your car. As you rightly said one should be present all the time when adding some extra accessories to the car & you have paid heavly for this. On the other note, I was just wondering why you went in for a regular double din rather than a touch screen? Hope the xylo is back to its glorry and would be enjoying the ride as before.
We never had a liking to the Touch Screen HU, as we love to listen to the songs. And more, most of my family members get headache when watching movies on a compact screen. So I decided to get a double din MP3/CD player.

Yep Xylo is doing good now. That update captures the happening over the last 6 months.
Old 9th July 2015, 20:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags

Quote:
Uneven roads? - Well, this is where the achilles heel of Xylo shows up. The body-on-ladder construction shows it is rigid and strong, and tends to push people to sides
42 psi tyre pressure on all 4 wheels has reduced this problem for me tremendously, on uneven roads. Plus, the swaying effect (as in one wheel entering a pothole) has reduced by half. Please try this, should help.

Wishing you many more happy miles in your Xylo
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 20:39   #42
BHPian

Default Re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed

Rajesh, last day I was at Anant Cars for disc pad replacement. When I talked to the Customer relation manager, he remembers your car..!!

How often you all change the front disc pads..? For me, I have now changed at 25K KM and the cost came to Rs.3448/ including tax. The SA said that the pad can run for another 500km easily.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 22:19   #43
BHPian

Default Re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Rajesh, last day I was at Anant Cars for disc pad replacement. When I talked to the Customer relation manager, he remembers your car..!!

How often you all change the front disc pads..? For me, I have now changed at 25K KM and the cost came to Rs.3448/ including tax. The SA said that the pad can run for another 500km easily.

Hey Rajesh!

Interesting to hear that folks at Anant cars remember my xylo. Donno why!

I have never changed any disc pads so far, or at least as far as I remember. Is there any reason you changed the brake pads? Noise? lack of braking power?
Old 12th July 2015, 10:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rajesh!

I have never changed any disc pads so far, or at least as far as I remember. Is there any reason you changed the brake pads? Noise? lack of braking power?
You may not be remebring, check your earlier service bills. They might have changed during your regular service. Its the breack pads/shoes in the front.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 17:09   #45
BHPian

Default Oil leak in Intercooler & Air Filter hose

Noticing this in my Xylo over the past few months. There is oil stain in the intercooler, and oil lead in the Air Filter hose. Being a noob, I am not sure why this happens.

Is this a regular thing in most cars? Why is this caused? and what exactly could be the root cause?

Should I change the hoses, and intercoolers?

Name:  oilleakfromairfilterhose.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  156.0 KB

Name:  oilleakintercooler1.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  162.1 KB

ANy suggestions>