Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th February 2013, 09:45   #1
BHPian

Default Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed

Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-intro.jpg

In 4 words:

I bought a Xylo.

In 10 words:
I bought a 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & AIRBAGS.

What did I own before?
Maruti Suzuki Alto (2007)

The History
My car search spans across almost 5 years and that is not a interesting story to mention here. Anyways to sum up, it started with Bolero, then changed to better hatchbacks due to financial constraints, then again to Bolero, Fiesta Classic and a whole lot. Finally in the Q4 of 2012, we decided to buy a 4 wheeled UV!

Xylo or Innova
In our country, choice of UVs are limited. You get SUMO, TAVERA, INNOVA, EVALIA, SCORPIO, BOLERO and XYLO. Out of all, Innova and Xylo were qualified as they fit our requirements :

1. 8 Seats
2. Leg Space & Seat Space
3. Good ride quality
4. Individual ACs
5. Good service network
6. Safety Features

Finally due to the price factor, we squared on XYLO. Innova with ABS and AirBags was very much out of reach (almost 16 lacs on road). Xylo matched 5 of the above points, except ride quality. Compared to Innova, Xylo's ride is a little stiff, and it requires some getting used to.

EVALIA - SPECIAL MENTION
I do wish to mention my Evalia experience. I visited the Salem dealer - Marvel Nissan. And a couple of ingress and egress in all 3 rows of seats made me wonder whether Evalia is really a people mover or cargo mover? The seat arrangement looked like some after-market seats fitted inside a cargo van. And the only unique feature in Evalia is the open glove box. Evalia's seating comfort did not impress me. Lack of underthigh support, only 2 in last row, the big OPEN GLOVE box, skinny tyres, sliding doors, and above all, 10+ lacs on road price have deleted Evalia from my list.

XYLO - Booking Experience
So, decided once for all ... and booked a Mist Silver Xylo E4 on November 26, 2012 at CAI Industries, Erode. For november, there was just 50% discount on the insurance (Rs.15k worth). The SE offered me that he will wait till December to see if there are bigger discounts. I chose to go to SBI Car Loan, though HDFC and ICICI were readily offering me pre-approved loans.

In december 2012, Xylo came with a whopping 70k discount. Straight 50k cash discount, and 20k additional exchange bonus. My SE called me and informed that 50k discount is applicable for my booking now. I was happy and confirmed the booking. The delivery date was given around third week of December. The loan got approved in a week and the Xylo was scheduled to deliver before Dec 24.

100-80-60-BANG
On December 17, when I drove from Chennai to Bangalore, my Alto ended up like this:

Name:  altoacc.jpg
Views: 11938
Size:  59.0 KB

Luckily we all escaped without hurt. Just few scratches here and there. That accident made me realize the importance of safety features. So I called my SE tried to upgrade my booking to higher model with ABS and Airbags. Unfortunately, there were no Xylos in CAI's coimbatore yard that matched my requirements, and hence the booking could not be upgraded.

New Year.. New Booking
I was firm about the safety features by that time, and did not want to buy a Xylo without ABS or Airbags. So, after some discussion with my SE, I cancelled the current booking, and make a fresh booking for 2013 Xylo E8 with ABS and Airbags. The color was - JAVA BROWN. With the safety features, XYLO crossed the 10 lac boundary. It was almost 11.5 lacs on road. So I borrowed some money to adjust the difference. SBI car loan was re-applied to match the new model. The new application was approved within 3 working days. The delivery was expected on 2nd week of Jan 2013. For Jan, I got just 50% discount on insurance.

PDI
On Jan 16, I got call from my SE saying my XYLO has reached CAI's coimbatore yard. On Jan 19, I did the PDI myself at the stock yard. Took the TBHP PDI checklist and spent almost an hour. Except for the dust on the body, everything else was intact. It was a Jan 2013 manufactured Xylo. PDI done! Pass! I then cleared the vehicle to send it to Erode.

Delivery
Got a call on Jan 21 that my xylo has reached CAI's Erode office and it is ready for delivery. As I was locked up at work in Bangalore I asked him to deliver it to my home on Jan 23. He did the same and my mom confirmed arrival of the shiny new Java Brown Xylo E8 into our home's parking space.

Dealer Experience - CAI Industries Coimbatore and Erode
Just average. The only consoling factor is the SE who made the experience feeling good. Being monopoly, CAI enjoys the command in the city. I rated them average when I was contacted by the feedback call from Mahindra.

Freebies Offered

- Ganesh Idol
- Free stockyard dust on floor, Ac vents, Dashboard.
- A pack of chocolates
- Half tank of diesel

First Drive - Erode to Tirunelveli
On the night of delivery day, a travel plan which was originally scheduled later got advanced. So in the same night, I had to travel to Erode with my family to join my mom and sis. On reaching my home at Erode, saw the big beast Xylo in our portico. And I was like this --> for next few minutes. I just could not control it.

The trip was to travel to Trinelveli and Tiruchendur. So we hired an acting driver for the entire trip. I got my hands on from Karur to Dindigul. The drive was great.. there was no turbo-lag. Xylo moved with an eager attitude. The ABS brakes inspired confidence, but lacked some feedback. But they stop the Xylo spot-on. It's just a feeling of getting used to. The body roll was minimal, but not as my Alto used to roll. And it did NOT make people jump from left-to-right or right-to-left. Drive the Xylo without any rush, and you get the best out of it.

Space Space Space..
Mom was happy that there was so-much space and the last row seating is actually much better than Innova's last row. The rear luggage space was less compared to Innova. But the under-seat space in xylo comes to rescue here. We stuffed all the small luggage under the seats and managed to accommodate the rest of the luggage in the rear-space. Nobody felt any inconvenience in terms of spacing.

Comfort , NVH & Ergonomics
With individual AC vents, good fabric seats and absorbing ride, our travel to Tirunelveli was totally pleasant. There were no back-aches, no leg pain and no tiredness. The seats are quite comfortable (including the last row seats). The engine noise is bearable in high-speed. The large windows give a airy atmosphere inside. The downside is - the vehicle gets hot soon. The AC has to run in level 2 always.

Till now Xylo has done two dozen trips and clocked close to 7k on the odometer. All the drives are pleasant, without any worries about baggage, space, comfort, head count, air cooler etc. I drove on bad roads and good roads as well. Xylo is pretty comfortable on any sort of roads. Only when driving on bad roads with large pot-holes, it makes you feel the presence of the Ladder-Frame construction. Generally speaking, Xylo offers decent ride on bad roads, absorbs small undulations very well. On four-lane highways it is equally sporty like the Scorpio in a straight line. 120 KMPH with 8 passengers is a piece-of-cake. Emergency braking from 120 down to 40 (with 8 passengers) is again a piece of cake with the ABS.

Fuel Efficiency
I found that driving the Xylo on the optimum torque band yields good FE. But the downside is TIME CONSUMPTION. Anyway, just to measure the maximum AFE that can be achieved, I drove Xylo from Bangalore - Erode @ less than 2000 RPM. The speed achievable at that power band, with minimum load was just 70 - 80 KMPH. And the AFE was 25.5 KMPL. Here is the proof..

Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-photo0054.jpg

LOL I really wish Xylo gives that FE all the time. If that happens, every third car sold in this country would be a Xylo. Coming to reality, here are the figures I get usually.

With 2 persons on board in sedate driving :
City : upto 13kmpl max
Highway : upto 16kmpl max

With 8 persons on board in mixed driving:
City : upto 11kmpl max
Highway : upto 13 kmpl max

ICE
Nippon sourced 2 din head unit serves as OE ICE. It is connected to 6 drivers (2 tweeters and 4 mid-bass drivers). The tweeters are fitted in the ORVM assembly and the four 6.5" drivers are placed in the doors. The SQ is just adequate. Good enough for casual listeners. Audiophiles will definitely go for an upgrade. I am not an avid music listener, so never bothered to upgrade the stock ICE for now. But somewhere in my mind I have this idea of installing a Clarion 2-din DVD unit coupled with 4 DLS or Focal drivers. Lets see.

Accessories fitted after delivery
- Cut mats for the entire floor @ Rs.4500 appx from local fitter
- Universal size carpet mats @ Rs.1200 (2+2+1 set) from local fitter
- Philips Extreme Vision H4 60/55w bulbs @ Rs.1100 pair from local shop
- Boston Acoustics Si604 6" 2 way driver for middle row doors @Rs.1500 pair from local shop
- Worldtech reverse camera and 4.3" display for live rear-view @Rs.3150 from shopclues.com
- Satguide GPS @ Rs.4990 from Satnav
- Coido Car Vacuum cleaner @ Rs.1099 from Aushan Super Market
- Coido Air Pump @ Rs.799 from Rediff.com

Quirks

Xylo is from Mahindra. So true to the brand value, it has some quirks.

- To fold the middle row seat, you need slide up a lever. The place and the design is a total usability disaster.
Name:  seatlever.jpg
Views: 10856
Size:  52.0 KB

- The gear travel is slanted. This reminded me of the old JEEPs.
- The horn pads are bit hard and not-easy to reach.
- The 12V socket in the front dashboard is another usability disaster. Plug a power socket in, and it obstructs with the gear lever.
- The last row seats require some strength to fold.
- The nose-dive effect is noticeable. Brake hard, and you can feel the front lowering down.
- The plastics used in some places feel a bit flimsy.

PHOTOS
Looks huge, but actually equals a C segment sedan in width and length approximately.
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-img_8131.jpg

The OE Alloy wheels with Bridgestone Dueler. No complaints!
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-img_8136.jpg

A little stylish angle for the front view
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-img_8186.jpg

The Side
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-img_8190.jpg

The Chrome door handle
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-chromeringedhandle.jpg

The Console
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-console.jpg

The Electronic ORVM control, Headlight Leveler and Fuel lid opener (There is a manual overdrive available in the rear seat area)
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-controls2.jpg

Seats folded in random
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-difffoldings.jpg

In remembrance of my dad..
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-engineerkandasamy.jpg

The storage section between front seats
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-frontstorage.jpg

A mean look.. yeah!
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-xylo1.jpg

Some random snaps
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-more2.jpg

The center console with ICE and AC controls
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-oeice.jpg

3rd row seats folded. So much of space that you can literally put your top-loading washing machine there.
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-rearfold.jpg

The Reverse assist markers on the Indoor Rear-view mirror.
Attachment 1086936

Folding the second row..
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-2ndrowfold.jpg

Last row seat ergonomics
Name:  IMG_8157.jpg
Views: 10304
Size:  98.4 KB

Sidepose with sticker on
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-sidepose2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 with ABS & Airbags. Now, 50,000 kms completed-alloywheel.jpg  

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 23rd May 2013 at 23:32.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 00:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags

Note from Support: Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 10:15   #3
BHPian

Hey! Congrats on the car. Wish you many happy miles and a niggle free ownership. Quick question - Why didn't you consider the Ertiga? Also from what I've read, I feel that the Evalia has loads of space too.
Cheers!
Batfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 11:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride Rajesh, have the time of your life! You really get spoilt for space in a Xylo. Once you get used to the dynamics of this beast, its a breeze to drive. The tribute to your dad is very nice!

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 24th May 2013 at 11:14.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 11:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
Hey! Congrats on the car. Wish you many happy miles and a niggle free ownership. Quick question - Why didn't you consider the Ertiga? Also from what I've read, I feel that the Evalia has loads of space too.
Cheers!
Ertiga was not considered because, the last row space was limited and I did not like that. Also Ertiga feels like a compact UV, compared to Xylo or Innova.

In the case of Evalia, I agree there is space, but I did not find it impressive nor usable. Thats what the feeling I got when I checked out Evalia. Also, I did not like the last row seat either. It is good for two, but not for three.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 14:32   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on buying yourself a new home Rajesh Good to see another Xylo review on the forum. Your requirements were exactly the same as ours - and frankly speaking, nothing fulfils them more than the Xylo.

The Ertiga is a good contender too - if you are looking for a 5+2 seater. If it is space that is your main criteria - look no further than the Innova / Xylo.

Its great that your Xylo is giving a great average - we are struggling to get past the 10kmpl mark.

Last edited by v12 : 24th May 2013 at 14:35.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 15:34   #7
BHPian

@ Rajesh Sundaram, Congratulations on the car mate. Xylo is indeed a very good UV, however out of curiosity, why didn't you consider buying the Scorpio, I think, there is not much price difference in the Scorpio as compared to Xylo. Though, the rear space is a bit cramped, but the highway dynamics of the Scorpio is better than the Xylo.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 16:50   #8

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

Congrats Rajesh. It was a lovely write up that I'm now getting inclined towards this
amithknair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 09:52   #9
BHPian

Default re: Rajeshsundaram's 2013 Mahindra Xylo E8 - with ABS & Airbags (Now- 50,000 kms completed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Its great that your Xylo is giving a great average - we are struggling to get past the 10kmpl mark.
Thanks v12! I noticed that when I run the both AC with 8 people on board and some spirited driving, the FE averages around 11 in my Xylo. Are you getting the 10kmpl even when the load is less? If so, get it checked at the service center. Last night my Xylo gave me a FE of 15.4kmpl from Bangalore - Erode with just two travelers, me and my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
@ Rajesh Sundaram, Congratulations on the car mate. Xylo is indeed a very good UV, however out of curiosity, why didn't you consider buying the Scorpio, I think, there is not much price difference in the Scorpio as compared to Xylo. Though, the rear space is a bit cramped, but the highway dynamics of the Scorpio is better than the Xylo.
Thanks sawnilrules. The Scorpio was considered for brief time. But I recalled that I throwed up twice, when I traveled in a friend's Scorpio (in the middle seat exactly). The way that scorpio bounced and swayed in rural roads put my stomach in trouble. As most of our long trips would be mostly visiting the temples in rural areas, I did not consider Scorpio. You know a bad impression may never leave you in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amithknair View Post
Congrats Rajesh. It was a lovely write up that I'm now getting inclined towards this
Thanks Amith. As a package Xylo is good. The pros outweighs the cons. Especially the H8 is real VFM with lots of goodies. If you are inclined towards owning one, take an extensive test drive and decide.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 10:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

If AFE is Average FE, then 25.5 kmpl is stupendous. Hope the ECU / Car computer is not over optimistic, but this can be checked by comparing with tank to tank filling method.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 17:25   #11
BHPian

Congrats Rajesh Sundaram. The Xylo is a great choice among MUV's especially if you are a tall guy. I liked that touch of respect you have given to your father. The sticker is perfectly aligned and selection of the font is absolutely superb. I also liked the way you have depicted the seating space with your hands. It shows your height as 5ft 10 in. Which also means that you might be feeling driving a "Ford Endeavor" after having owned an Alto for some time. I too owned an Alto and later a Ritz - I felt Ritz was like an SUV for the first couple of days. Keep posting about your ownership experience and drive safe!
Manzone799 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 19:38   #12
BHPian

Rajesh - many congratulations on your acquisition, after reading your review, just can't imagine any other car that would've made you so happy - congratulations again! As was mentioned by another boarder earlier, very touching to see how you've acknowledged your father; my best wishes to you for the long temple-to-temple drives!
Agarwaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 10:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If AFE is Average FE, then 25.5 kmpl is stupendous. Hope the ECU / Car computer is not over optimistic, but this can be checked by comparing with tank to tank filling method.
ramzsys, the ECU was actually right to some extent. That stupendous FE could be because Bangalore is located on a higher altitude than Erode. So the drive from Bangalore to Erode was a gradual downward slope. Normally on any terrain, I can to get upto 16kmpl max @2000 rpm, with two passengers on board. Speed varies between 70 to 90 usually.

But with 8 passengers, and rear-acs switched on, the FE varies between 11 and 13 @ 2500 rpm, speed between 80 and 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
Congrats Rajesh Sundaram. The Xylo is a great choice among MUV's especially if you are a tall guy. I liked that touch of respect you have given to your father. The sticker is perfectly aligned and selection of the font is absolutely superb. I also liked the way you have depicted the seating space with your hands. It shows your height as 5ft 10 in. Which also means that you might be feeling driving a "Ford Endeavor" after having owned an Alto for some time. I too owned an Alto and later a Ritz - I felt Ritz was like an SUV for the first couple of days. Keep posting about your ownership experience and drive safe!
Thanks Manzone799. Yes you are right, driving the Xylo for first few weeks was like driving a lorry. Upgrading from an Alto sure shows the size difference and road presence. Regarding the sticker - I used the standard HELVETICA BOLD font, but "sheered" (slant) it more than the usual and adjusted the inter-character spacing to get that effect. Being in the design field for 14 years has taught me some ideas about such fonts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Rajesh - many congratulations on your acquisition, after reading your review, just can't imagine any other car that would've made you so happy - congratulations again! As was mentioned by another boarder earlier, very touching to see how you've acknowledged your father; my best wishes to you for the long temple-to-temple drives!
Thanks Agarwaka. Xylo made me happy to the core. Its pros outweighs the cons.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 19:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Frankly speaking with 60-65kmph you can get that. 3 years back when there was a mileage run organized by Mahindra, I got 24kmpl in my xylo which was tested over 88km on Nice road in Bangalore.

But after you cross 80kmph, the mileage drops. All my friends including myself get around 16kmpl on highways and 11-12kmpl in B2B traffic.
shishir_bn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 14:24   #15
BHPian

Congrats RajeshSundaram for the buy.
I completely agree on the value proposition for Xylo and that the pros outdo the cons. That very nice (majestic) seating position is just one of the many pros of choosing this over any other UV (Innova included).

Hoping experts on the forum can help advise on the differences between the E and H versions - other than the well advertised engine/fuel efficiency aspects.
For example, the dimensions for E version in mm were 4520 (Length), 1850 (Width), 1895 (Height), 206 (Ground clearance). For the H version it seems to be 4525 (Length), 1770 (Width), 1880 (Height), 186 (Ground clearance). There is no change in Turning Radius or Wheelbase. (Hope I am correct on these specs as I am unable to download the ebrochure from Mahindra Xylo site, the info is from other websites).
  • Does the length increase of 5 mm translate to better luggage space at the back (the small luggage space with all seats in place is the biggest drawback of the Xylo in my experience of living with the Xylo for the last 4 years)
  • Decrease in height and ground clearance - presume this lowered stance translates to much better stability / dynamics / road grip. I don't remember my Xylo ever bottoming out - even on the worst of speed breakers or roads, hope the reduction in ground clearance does not change that behavior.
  • Decrease in width - I guess this is now made equal to the Innova. Presume this translates to better agility in traffic / ability to squeeze into gaps / perception of being easier to drive.
manij is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote