Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:05   #61
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

6 months update;

It has been little more than 6 months since i have acquired the car & its already done 17,500 km on the odo.

Been doing a lot of running around & majorly driven by my driver, he is happy with it & we all are with respect to the role what this car is meant to perform.

Some may think the 1.5l dci as a workhorse but in my case with the mileage covered, places visited i'd like to term my car a "WAR HORSE"

Also regarding the recent recall issue of the brake master cylinder, i have informed my dealership regarding the same & they shall get back to me shortly

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd June 2013 at 17:17.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 16:59   #62
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 375
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thank You !!![/b]
Hi Karan, Thanks for the awesome review. This made me buy my own white Scala RXz with the Travelogue kit.

I would like to check with you if under-body coating is required for the Scala since the monsoons are coming? What do you think??
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 18:47   #63
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post

Hi Karan, Thanks for the awesome review. This made me buy my own white Scala RXz with the Travelogue kit.

I would like to check with you if under-body coating is required for the Scala since the monsoons are coming? What do you think??
Hello di1in,

Firstly congratulations on your Scala & im glad my review helped your purchase decision

Regarding underbody coating i havent done it on the scala nor other cars, to be frank it is much recommended if you are staying close to the coast.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 13:12   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default

While getting into the car today morning i observed the Renault logo gone missing from the Rear right wheel

Name:  image3540364220.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  575.3 KB

Seems the Mumbai monsoons & flooded streets have played a part in this

Last edited by karan561 : 28th June 2013 at 13:14.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 19:48   #65
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Question Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
While getting into the car today morning i observed the Renault logo gone missing from the Rear right wheel

Attachment 1103475

Seems the Mumbai monsoons & flooded streets have played a part in this

@karan561,

Is that Renault logo in the wheel plastic or a sticker? Seems to be a sticker. Also, what is the F.E you are getting now? Mine is giving me 18-19 in city.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 22:57   #66
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
@karan561,

Is that Renault logo in the wheel plastic or a sticker? Seems to be a sticker.
That was a proper Renault logo :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Also, what is the F.E you are getting now? Mine is giving me 18-19 in city.
I am getting around 16-17 km/l in the city limits
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 13:23   #67
BHPian
 
esma1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 92
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Hey Karan, Great to see a refreshing review. It will also inspire all BHPians to try something different. Nice portrayal of the car by making it the 'Skoda Superb' of the C segment sedans.

P.S. You no longer need any photo shoots for your matrimonial.
esma1981 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 20:37   #68
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
Nice portrayal of the car by making it the 'Skoda Superb' of the C segment sedans.
Hey esma,

Thats well said, cant agree more man

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
P.S. You no longer need any photo shoots for your matrimonial.


Thanks for the kind words man.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 17:33   #69
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

20k Service finally done last Saturday.

Brake master cylinder replaced too

Shall report with more details tomorrow
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 12:03   #70
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
20k Service finally done last Saturday.
The service included engine oil flush & change, diesel filter, ac filter, air filter & oil filter change.

The total service cost was a pricey Rs 6800/- (After tax)

When i had called up to book an appointment and had asked for an estimate cost for the 20k service, they had quoted me aprox Rs 10k

I told them not to do alignment & balancing (as it was perfect) but on the phone he was trying to convince me & telling me the importance of it, lol.

That saved aprox 1k INR to the bill & somehow the bill after servicing was just under 7k

Attaching a bill copy for reference;

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala-photo.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Brake master cylinder replaced too
As you all know that this car is 90% chauffeur driven, my driver has said that there is only a slight improvement in braking, to quantify may be about 5%

But when i drove the car i did not find any noticeable gain in braking power/ stopping distance.

This recall IMO is to avoid failure of the same part as not much improvement has been felt so far
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 15:46   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Hi Karan, a very unique and refreshing review. Nothing like atleast what i have seen on Team-BHP before. The pictures at the beginning are befitting of the title. Wishing you many more miles on this car.
siddarthbh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 10:28   #72
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
As you all know that this car is 90% chauffeur driven, my driver has said that there is only a slight improvement in braking, to quantify may be about 5%

But when i drove the car i did not find any noticeable gain in braking power/ stopping distance.

This recall IMO is to avoid failure of the same part as not much improvement has been felt so far

Why is it so? I felt much improvement in it. Have you also applied for that 3M car care ( polishing, waxing, underbody coating etc.)? The old part was such that it was destined to be poor. So that's why they have initiated this recall.

To existing Micra & Sunny owners: If you are unsure about your car is a part of the recall, You can use this link: http://www.nissan.in/en/web/header/header_22483.htm.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 11:17   #73
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,101
Thanked: 18,253 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The service included engine oil flush & change, diesel filter, ac filter, air filter & oil filter change.

The total service cost was a pricey Rs 6800/- (After tax)

When i had called up to book an appointment and had asked for an estimate cost for the 20k service, they had quoted me aprox Rs 10k :Shockked
I see lots of unnecessary stuff in the bill that could have been avoided.

1. Very surprised to see that the engine needs 5litres of oil. Please check the manual on this. A 1.5L engine requiring 5litres is weird.

2. Engine oil additive and oil flush are not needed at all. Oil flush is not needed if you are using the same grade oil again and additive is a sales gimmick.

3. I can see air filter cartridge and air filter kit. It should be either one and not both. There's usually just the paper air filter that needs changing and not 2 part nos.

4. Did you opt for the 3M maintenance service +? It's a waste of money in which they spray the battery terminal apply a spray on the power window channel and apply a useless coat of wax without any treatment.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 12:45   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 8,088 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthbh View Post
Hi Karan, a very unique and refreshing review. Nothing like atleast what i have seen on Team-BHP before. The pictures at the beginning are befitting of the title. Wishing you many more miles on this car.
Hey Siddarth,
Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked my review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Why is it so? I felt much improvement in it. Have you also applied for that 3M car care ( polishing, waxing, underbody coating etc.)?
Hey Achyuth,

Haven't applied any 3M product on exterior nor the under body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I see lots of unnecessary stuff in the bill that could have been avoided.

1. Very surprised to see that the engine needs 5litres of oil. Please check the manual on this. A 1.5L engine requiring 5litres is weird.

2. Engine oil additive and oil flush are not needed at all. Oil flush is not needed if you are using the same grade oil again and additive is a sales gimmick.

3. I can see air filter cartridge and air filter kit. It should be either one and not both. There's usually just the paper air filter that needs changing and not 2 part nos.

4. Did you opt for the 3M maintenance service +? It's a waste of money in which they spray the battery terminal apply a spray on the power window channel and apply a useless coat of wax without any treatment.
Thanks for the pointers Vid,

1 - I agree it is weird that a 1.5L engine requiring 5L. At 10k service too they had used 5L, i will give in a check on the service manual.

2 & 3 - Will take up this matter with the service station

4 - I hadn't opted for the 3M nor i was informed (now too late to counter)

Also note i wasn't present at the service center nor at drop off or pick up time, had sent driver with 7.5 lump sum cash.

It is evident that the service center guys tried & succeeded in the inflated billing but the blame is somehow on my negligence, shall have to be taking up this matter personally next time.

Thanks again !

Last edited by karan561 : 21st July 2013 at 12:49.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 12:57   #75
RJK
Senior - BHPian
 
RJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 930
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala

Hey Karan,

Brilliant review. I've been following your review closely since I'm contemplating between Scala/Sunny and Duster. I also share Viddy's concerns about flush, additive and all that garbage. I am assuming that since the engines on the duster and scala are same, servicing costs would be in similar ball park. Also, replacement of diesel filter at 20k, is it mandated by Renault or over-enthusiastic dealer just did it to inflate the bill ?

Sorry for barrage of questions but I hope you can oblige. Also, do you give your car for service at Chandivali workshop ?

P.S: Have seen your 747 many times in Hiranandani, Powai. Once it was parked right outside my building opp, Zodiac Store
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renault Scala : Official Review noopster Official New Car Reviews 147 17th November 2016 22:53
Renault Scala soumobakshi The Indian Car Scene 78 1st September 2012 17:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks