Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2014, 14:06   #151
BHPian
 
rajesh.sml's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

I am planning to buy XUV this month. my problem is the feedback I am getting of middle row comfort.

I am from a hill state and most of the people tell me that the middle and last row seats occupants are jumping up and down in most of the travel.

If this is the case then it is a big issue. Requesting the XUV owners to share their experiences with XUV and vertical movement on rear seats.
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 16:16   #152
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,416
Thanked: 6,287 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
...I am from a hill state and most of the people tell me that the middle and last row seats occupants are jumping up and down in most of the travel...
You really need to take your family for a TD and "feel" it rather than "hear" about it. Others may NOT have driven in the kind of geography and roads and such things can really change the behavior of the vehicle; add to it, your style of driving.

From what I have read is, the car definitely bounces, but flattens over speed. The bounce might also be brought down based on the psi in your tyres.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 16:17   #153
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 141
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV-500 AWD: Ownership and Long Term Review *UPDATE* 40k service update

There is a "khad khad khad" sound which is quiet loud and has been there from the start. It occurs in AWD lock mode and heard during the following sequence:

- vehicle should be on an incline (incline does not have to be very steep)
- AWD lock mode enabled
- drive the vehicle to a speed of 5-10 kmph in 1st gear
- suddenly fully depress the clutch and release the accelerator
- you will then here the "khad khad khad" sound.

Anyone with the AWD vehicle want to try and see if they have similar sound??

You can download the video that demonstrates the sound in my vehicle from this link:
XUV500 AWD Sound video download link
falconion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 10:29   #154
BHPian
 
MuzzledMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: THRISSUR
Posts: 185
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

I have been having an XUV AWD for 10 months now and lately i am seeing the suspension has become very hard. it keeps throwing me out of the trajectory when going through the bad roads of kerala. Is there a way around to make the ride quality better?
Is the AWD ride quality poorer than the FWD ?
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 21:45   #155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 141
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
I have been having an XUV AWD for 10 months now and lately i am seeing the suspension has become very hard. it keeps throwing me out of the trajectory when going through the bad roads of kerala. Is there a way around to make the ride quality better?
Is the AWD ride quality poorer than the FWD ?
They are re-torquing the suspensions under orange recall at Mahindra service centers, which is basically done when you take your vehicle for servicing. I like the suspension in our AWD, it gets better as you keep driving. Also check your tyre pressures.
falconion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 13:27   #156
BHPian
 
Vivek Jayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TVM/Pune
Posts: 94
Thanked: 30 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Hello everyone,

I have test driven the Xuv over 5 or 6 times during my hunt for a long term family vehicle. I really enjoy it's driving dynamics, space on offer and refinement. But while comparing the prices between the Xuv and other SUVs from the foreign manufacturers I couldn't help smoking my brain over the fact they cost well over 10 lakhs than the Mahindra.

I understand how the XUV can manage such a low selling price owing to indigenous tech and parts but I recently had a friend who works in Mahindra in a managerial level tell me that the quality of construction, attention of the workers in the company etc. are directly proportional to the price of the XUV. He said that the company DOES skimp on the quality of the components and manufacturing methods to provide such a large equipment list for the price. This kind of insider opinion really made me question the reliability of the XUV. Are the more expensive UVs really worth the premium? Build quality is imperative to me when I consider buying a vehicle. Will I be left wanting for more if I fall for the price to equipment ratio of the XUV? I request all the XUV owners to shed light on this regard owing to their ownership experience. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanking in advance.

VJ
Vivek Jayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 14:12   #157
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,670
Thanked: 8,684 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Hello everyone,
I couldn't help smoking my brain over the fact they cost well over 10 lakhs than the Mahindra.

I understand how the XUV can manage such a low selling price owing to indigenous tech and parts
Would you buy a XUV for 25 Lakhs ex-showroom? Just because some cars like Toyota Fortuner/Innova are priced at premium, does not mean they are expensive to manufacture. The Innova's simple design and construction is unchanged since last 10 years, and may remain the same for another 20.

Then there are vehicles like Santa-Fe which in their earlier generation were not good selling, so Hyundai may have decided to keep localisation low and margins high, that's the only way to keep it feasible.

Quote:
but I recently had a friend who works in Mahindra in a managerial level tell me that the quality of construction, attention of the workers in the company etc.

He said that the company DOES skimp on the quality of the components and manufacturing methods to provide such a large equipment list for the price. This kind of insider opinion really made me question the reliability of the XUV.
Can you please elaborate, Is he involved in all these departments? Does he have first hand data or some examples for comparison. Or was it just another casual comment just like the sales staff at dealerships. As a member of an informed forum i prefer not to take such casual comments seriously.

My XUV is doing great, just got back to me after 5 months with my dad. For those 5 months there have been no issues at all. I switched to XUV after driving Laura DSG for 5 months, i am still enjoying it.
.anshuman is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 17:40   #158
BHPian
 
Vivek Jayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TVM/Pune
Posts: 94
Thanked: 30 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Would you buy a XUV for 25 Lakhs ex-showroom? Just because some cars like Toyota Fortuner/Innova are priced at premium, does not mean they are expensive to manufacture.

Can you please elaborate, Is he involved in all these departments? Does he have first hand data or some examples for comparison. Or was it just another casual comment just like the sales staff at dealerships. As a member of an informed forum i prefer not to take such casual comments seriously.
With the current state of the XUV, I wouldn't buy it for 25 lakhs, I'd buy a Jetta, Fortuner or Santa Fe. The Toyota and Hyundai do offer superior material quality than the XUV. They are more reliable though lacking on creature comforts. My doubt is whether it is really worth the premium of over 10 lakhs. I also had doubts on how well the XUV aged over time. I personally have come across XUVs with faded and loose gear knobs and handle bars, malfunctioning ICE units and rear view mirrors, faded "conversation mirror" etc. Such poor build is not expected of a car costing upwards of 14 lakhs. Maybe Mahindra should have ditched the idea of stuffing the car with features and concentrated on building a fault less and soundly built vehicle.

He is part of a technical team and is closely though not directly related to the manufacturing and distribution of Mahindra vehicles. He is not a sales person as you might have thought. As a very close family friend I don't see why he would talk ill of his own company for no apparent reason. I feel the gargantuan amount of niggles once seen on the XUV stand to prove his point. Such issues were not seen on the more expensive UVs or even the cheaper Scorpio. The only issue according to him is on the XUV, not any other Mahindra vehicles. Like you sir, I too refuse to heed to casual comments which is why I had posted this here on Team Bhp. The conversation with him was about purchasing the XUV, not a casual gossip.
Vivek Jayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 10:08   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,065
Thanked: 1,994 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
With the current state of the XUV, I wouldn't buy it for 25 lakhs, I'd buy a Jetta, Fortuner or Santa Fe. The Toyota and Hyundai do offer superior material quality than the XUV.

...............

Like you sir, I too refuse to heed to casual comments which is why I had posted this here on Team Bhp. The conversation with him was about purchasing the XUV, not a casual gossip.
Dear Vivek,

With such apprehensions in mind, it is better you stay an arm's length away from the XUV.

There are many XUV owners in this forum who are extremely happy with the vehicle, including me. There are also many others who have been frustrated over the niggles.

It is said that the newer XUVs are niggle free & better built, but nobody can give you any assurance that it will not rattle or break down for it's entire lifetime. C'mon, I have seen much more expensive cars from bigger brands breaking down.

If you want a relatively fuss free ownership, go for the Innova. Now it is upto you to decide whether it is worth that premium with a relatively under powered engine, lesser safety and features. If quality and fit/finish are your priorities, you need to spend that extra bit and get the premium SUVs in the range of 20-30 Lacs.

I think it is simply not worth it to spend extra moolah and then compromise on basic creature comforts, but that is my personal opinion. I can live with the average plastic quality. I feel that the XUV has a plusher cabin compared to the Innova. All the contact points are leather or soft touch plastics.
raj_5004 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 12:09   #160
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,670
Thanked: 8,684 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
I'd buy a Jetta, Fortuner or Santa Fe.
Well they all are different kind of vehicles, Apples and Oranges. What are you looking for- a SUV, a Crossover or a Euro Sedan?

Quote:
They are more reliable though lacking on creature comforts. My doubt is whether it is really worth the premium of over 10 lakhs.
I am glad i have all the Safety equipment in the my car- 4 Star Australian NCAP, 6 Airbags, ESP with Rollover Mitigation.. most people due to their ignorance may call this as useless gadgetry but i do not. I found this vehicle worth my money, i paid for it. Period!

Quote:
Such poor build is not expected of a car costing upwards of 14 lakhs. Maybe Mahindra should have ditched the idea of stuffing the car with features and concentrated on building a fault less and soundly built vehicle.
The issues you have pointed out are not build quality issues, they are fit and and finish issues. I have not come across any serious mechanical failures that threat long term reliability of this vehicle. Regarding ICE and all they keep improving the design and they update it on my car on their own. With the 5 year warranty, i plan to sit back and relax.

Quote:
He is part of a technical team and is closely though not directly related to the manufacturing and distribution of Mahindra vehicles. He is not a sales person as you might have thought. As a very close family friend I don't see why he would talk ill of his own company for no apparent reason. I feel the gargantuan amount of niggles once seen on the XUV stand to prove his point. Such issues were not seen on the more expensive UVs or even the cheaper Scorpio. The only issue according to him is on the XUV, not any other Mahindra vehicles. Like you sir, I too refuse to heed to casual comments which is why I had posted this here on Team Bhp. The conversation with him was about purchasing the XUV, not a casual gossip.
He may be part of the technical team, he may be privy to all the info related to XUV and other Mahindra vehicles but unless you share the exact information with us, the information is mere speculation for us.

PS: If he knows a lot, did he tell you about sub-standard localisation in Rexton? The rusting chassis and other parts, falling bits that remind me of old gen Safari.. it actually is a can of worms, without sufficient training and spares even the top dealerships are helpless to deal with this vehicle. Even Mahindra does not have warranty beyond 2 years for Rexton, the warranty for XUV is 3 years(std) + 2 years(extendable). When i say all this i have sufficient proof to support my argument, ill post it soon in the other thread.

In the end, it's your money, spend it wisely, with access to so much data these days don't let ignorance influence your purchase decision.
.anshuman is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 15:05   #161
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,670
Thanked: 8,684 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

At 47k the car is doing great, no issues since last service.

Just bought the extended warranty for 2 more years. Costed me Approx 22.5k. This makes the Total warranty 5 years, 2 more years remaining

Few Irritants-
1.Middle row seat latch has gone bad, resulting in some irritating rattle. Will get it replaced at next due service.

2.Its freezing cold here, the XUV takes forever to warm up the engine and throw some hot air.

3. Due to my own negligence, and also due to the Sri Durga Auto, who charged me for tire side change and did not do the job, the outer side is more worn out than rest of the tread. Seems like the tires would have have to be changed in another 5-8k kms. Another reason to find some A/T tires for my car. Only ones i have seen are Pirelli Scorpion AT.

That's it for now. I will post a detailed report after the car comes back from 50k service , possibly sometime next month.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 16:46   #162
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 41
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
At 47k the car is doing great, no issues since last service.
That's it for now. I will post a detailed report after the car comes back from 50k service , possibly sometime next month.
Anshuman - I have been reading through this thread and many others in T-BHP. Thanks for the details.

Awaiting your 50K service experience.
fiesta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 21:41   #163
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Thanks for the details Anushuman and others. I was initially thinking of Pajero Sport but because of my tight budget constraints in recent times, I am now thinking of XUV 5OO.

Any idea on when we can expect XUV 5OO Automatic, just in case you have hints from the Mahindra dealerships when you go for servicing your vehicle ?
smiddela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 12:36   #164
BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 786
Thanked: 207 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
At 47k the car is doing great, no issues since last service.

Just bought the extended warranty for 2 more years. Costed me Approx 22.5k. This makes the Total warranty 5 years, 2 more years remaining

Anshuman, We are close to deciding on a XUV 500 AWD for my wifes place in Munnar. The place is slight 4 wheel territory (I take my Fortuner AT there, but can be tricky during rains), we would need a something more than 2 WD and thought 500 AWD is a good choice

Below is what my Father in law is hearing from people around and he is in a confused now, thought you are the best person to give a honest advice. Will be great to hear you thoughts on below areas

- Mahindra dealership is not at all keen to sell AWDs, I have seen the same attitude from Bangalore dealer while I was hunting for SUV.

- They dont have a single AWD for test drive in whole of Kerala.. We would really want to see how it handles on some of the bad roads out
there.. Now the decision is made based on your ownership report more than anything

- They have hardly sold any AWDs in Kerala. Hence Mahindra technicians may not be equipped to handle them

- Mileage will be only around 10 kms due to AWD (One of their sales guy even told it is an All time All wheel drive)

- Service cost is high for AWD, heard it is around 15K per service

- Resale can be very bad (not sure why?)

Go/No-Go will depend lot on your reply
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 18:35   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 141
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Anshuman, We are close to deciding on a XUV 500 AWD for my wifes place in Munnar. The place is slight 4 wheel territory (I take my Fortuner AT there, but can be tricky during rains), we would need a something more than 2 WD and thought 500 AWD is a good choice

Below is what my Father in law is hearing from people around and he is in a confused now, thought you are the best person to give a honest advice. Will be great to hear you thoughts on below areas

- Mahindra dealership is not at all keen to sell AWDs, I have seen the same attitude from Bangalore dealer while I was hunting for SUV.

- They dont have a single AWD for test drive in whole of Kerala.. We would really want to see how it handles on some of the bad roads out
there.. Now the decision is made based on your ownership report more than anything

- They have hardly sold any AWDs in Kerala. Hence Mahindra technicians may not be equipped to handle them

- Mileage will be only around 10 kms due to AWD (One of their sales guy even told it is an All time All wheel drive)

- Service cost is high for AWD, heard it is around 15K per service

- Resale can be very bad (not sure why?)

Go/No-Go will depend lot on your reply
- Yes the Mahindra Dealerships are not that interested in AWDs. I still remember how I kept asking about AWD and they kept saying: "Saar W8 and AWD are the same, why pay 1 lakh more for only AWD, will you be taking it for off-roading, many people are very happy with W8 only." After insisting that I am paying the whole amount upfront and it is what I want, they seemed to have quieted down a bit.

- Yes there are no AWDs to test drive. Better would be to ask a fellow BHPian for a test drive.

- They barely sell 1 AWD in a month or two or three per dealership.

- I was concerned about the technicians being able to handle them as well. But after talking to the RM that was there it made sense. W8 and AWD are the same, so all parts will fit and thus can be fixed in the similar manner. Only difference is AWD, which if failed will be replaced if unable to fix, and the rear suspension setup of AWD vehicles is a bit different (AWD Suspension (Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review).

- Mileage is not 10 kmpl. I am getting anywhere from 11.6-12.1 kmpl in city, and 17-18 kmpl on highway with avg speed of 80-100 kmph. The mileage as to what I have seen improves as you as a driver age with the vehicle. You learn to driver better and the mileage improves.

- It is not an ALL TIME AWD. XUV500 has what can be defined as: Automatic AWD or Torque on Demand.
In All Time AWD, all 4 tires are working. But in AWD of XUV500 torque or power can be automatically given to any of the 4 tyres depending on the need, but not all four will be working at the same time unless it is computed by the ECU to have them all working depending on the road conditions or manually LOCKED by the driver, i.e. the AWD lock mode. You can refer to this link for clarification if I confused you:

- Service cost is not higher either. It is very much similar to the rest of the XUVs. Only addition is IRDA oil (1.2 liters) and PTU oil (0.8 liters), which are specific for AWDs, and are replaced initially at 5k kms and then at 50000 kms and 1 lakh kms. And power steering fluid is about 0.9 liters in AWD and 0.7 liters in the rest of them.

I hope that helps.
falconion is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3 epicenter.rulez Long-Term Ownership Reviews 150 30th May 2017 20:35
OHC 1.5 EXi AT : Long Term Ownership Report UPDATE: NOW 95,000kms Dippy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 98 8th June 2013 14:49
Hyundai Verna CRDi VGT: Long Term Ownership Report live2drive Long-Term Ownership Reviews 49 12th April 2011 22:16
Long Term Ownership Report - WagonR Duo Lxi - 3 Years, 35000KM Report ontheroad Long-Term Ownership Reviews 6 21st November 2009 19:05
Short Term vs Long Term Ownership, New Car vs Used Car Ownership architect The Indian Car Scene 10 9th May 2008 11:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks