Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th April 2013, 14:15   #31
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Ford Figo : The American lass who stole my heart & cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Are you sure it doesn't have it? It is that lever which tilts the mirror glass and provides a tinted version of the IRVM for night time (when headlamps from vehicles behind don't cause glare). Once you install an additional mirror layer over the existing one, tilting that lever won't give the same view as the day mode view.

It is not a deal-breaker anyway since the clip-on type displays will be slightly tinted mirrors themselves .
I don't remember seeing a lever in my mirror (or maybe i am blind ). Will go check it Karthik!
Edit: Here is the image:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-cash-irvm.jpg

I couldn't see any levers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I think the reverse sensors by themselves (without the video feed) would do a good enough job. I have the rev cam on my car and I somehow am still uncomfortable depending on them completely and so resort to turning my head to make sure the reversing is done fine. So you can probably try putting in the sensors first and then if required, put in the cam (if at all that is possible )
I do have the reverse sensor but i nearly prodded my rear bumper on a metro water manhole in my apartment since my reversing sensor didn't catch it. Thats the only reason i am going for this.

P.S: Waiting for both of you to update your ownership threads!

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 30th April 2013 at 14:28. Reason: added link
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 14:47   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo : The American lass who stole my heart & cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
I don't remember seeing a lever in my mirror (or maybe i am blind ). Will go check it Karthik!
Edit: Here is the image:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-cash-irvm.jpg

I couldn't see any levers.
My brothers Figo has the day/night mirror. His is the titanium petrol. On the pic which you have uploaded, what is the small knob like thingt jutting out in the middle bottom part of the mirror? That might be the one as that is where the toggle switch is usually placed. Might be the stand supporting the mirror too, as it looks small
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 15:00   #33
BHPian

Quote:
My brothers Figo has the day/night mirror. His is the titanium petrol. On the pic which you have uploaded, what is the small knob like thingt jutting out in the middle bottom part of the mirror? That might be the one as that is where the toggle switch is usually placed. Might be the stand supporting the mirror too, as it looks small
Lol. absolutely, even i think that it seems to be a support but looks like i will have to explore the figo a little more .
Old 30th April 2013, 15:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Lol. absolutely, even i think that it seems to be a support but looks like i will have to explore the figo a little more .
It definetly IS the toggle switch for day/night in RVM and not any 'support' :-). You can pull/push it to toggle between.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 21:41   #35
BHPian

congratulations Arch Angel on your purchase and a very detailed review as well. Wish you many happy and safe miles with the car.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 21:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
congratulations Arch Angel on your purchase and a very detailed review as well. Wish you many happy and safe miles with the car.
Thanks a lot supertinu
Old 8th May 2013, 12:22   #37
BHPian

Some corrections:

Figo does have under the hood insulation. It looked minor and i ended up overlooking the fact that it indeed is under the hood insulation.
Figo does have the day-night mirror which can be toggled by push/pull on the small button like thing under the irvm.

Both of these facts are something that a few members here highlighted(thanks guys!)
credits to them.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 8th May 2013 at 12:25.
Old 30th May 2013, 16:48   #38
BHPian

Just a minor update:

Car has close to 740 Km on the ODO. will be hitting a few more highway runs to clock more miles.

Offlate, i have noticed quite a lot of squeaking coming from the driver side rear seat area. No idea what it is but its irritating once i go over bumps. The car gets unsettled if we go in through large potholes and kind of throws people inside, i felt this was a trait of abused vehicles but yes, caught it here. Buyers can take note of this when buying this car.

Other than that, she is a dream to drive for the middle class car lover like me. Pliant on roads and definitely a good handler. A friend of mine recently returned from the UK and said that figo's handling, though not comparable to the focus STs, is really a good benchmark for handling in commuter vehicles, lofty praise i must say!
Old 31st May 2013, 14:32   #39
BHPian

Congratulations on your Figo Arch. Thats a very comprehensive review and shows the real attachment you have towards her(If I am allowed to say so. Hehe). It is very happy to see people who treat their vehicle like family. When there is an emotional attachment, the 7lac car becomes invaluable, and for many others it is just a mode to move from A-B.

I too bought mine from the same showroom in January and was very happy with the deal. Also the KMs you have done seems a bit too low for Diesel cars. Mine is 5 months old and already completed close to 6000kms and in this period i was stuck at home for 1 and a half months with a fracture.

Though you are 100% correct that this is a class leader in terms of handling, but me previously having owned a Palio 1.9D, feel that the Palio's steering used to literally talk to me much better that the Figo's. but the Figo is much better than the Maruti's and Hyundai's in terms of handling and overall driver involvement. A figo 90Hp would absolutely blast the competitors into thin air.

And I find people suggesting you to not upgrade the tyres here, but some of my friends are suggesting me to move to 15" tyres to increase the GC by 10-15mm. I know a very close person who has gone for 15" yokohama in his Figo having absolute Joy, much more than before. Also since the Figo is some what similar to the Fiesta Classic, and the 1.6 version of the classic came with 15" wheels. So upgrading should not be a problem on the Figo. I'm planning for 195/55 R15 tyres, which increase the dia by 12mm. Fully loaded Figo scrapes in certain places where my fully loaded Palio did not.

And going by your number plates and the google maps location search you have shown, we seem to be living very close by. By the way I'm from Sai Nagar in Virugambakkam. Where are you from?
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 09:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Congratulations on your Figo Arch. Thats a very comprehensive review and shows the real attachment you have towards her(If I am allowed to say so. Hehe). It is very happy to see people who treat their vehicle like family. When there is an emotional attachment, the 7lac car becomes invaluable, and for many others it is just a mode to move from A-B.
Absolutely, she has become a family member! Mom even gave her a name . She affectionately calls the car as 'Dolly'. After the pooja with Bodyguard muneeswaran, she even has braids on both sides, effectively looking like a young girl.

Quote:
I too bought mine from the same showroom in January and was very happy with the deal. Also the KMs you have done seems a bit too low for Diesel cars. Mine is 5 months old and already completed close to 6000kms and in this period i was stuck at home for 1 and a half months with a fracture.
Unfortunately, i was an L board for a week. Now, i have become a little more confident so will drive a lot more. Also, the main reason i went with a diesel is because i want to keep her with me for a really long time.

Quote:
Though you are 100% correct that this is a class leader in terms of handling, but me previously having owned a Palio 1.9D, feel that the Palio's steering used to literally talk to me much better that the Figo's. but the Figo is much better than the Maruti's and Hyundai's in terms of handling and overall driver involvement. A figo 90Hp would absolutely blast the competitors into thin air.
Absolutely, I can only agree on how much promise the chassis shows and yet, ford plonked in a mini midget of a motor. This car has rally genes!

Quote:
And I find people suggesting you to not upgrade the tyres here, but some of my friends are suggesting me to move to 15" tyres to increase the GC by 10-15mm. I know a very close person who has gone for 15" yokohama in his Figo having absolute Joy, much more than before. Also since the Figo is some what similar to the Fiesta Classic, and the 1.6 version of the classic came with 15" wheels. So upgrading should not be a problem on the Figo. I'm planning for 195/55 R15 tyres, which increase the dia by 12mm. Fully loaded Figo scrapes in certain places where my fully loaded Palio did not.
Fortunately in my case, my figo has never scraped anywhere with 5 people and loads of luggage in a few trips. That thing to a side, i am financially crippled at the moment. Cash is going out faster than some tamil flop movies out of theatres. So i will have to wait before i indulge in a tyre upgrade at the moment.

Quote:
And going by your number plates and the google maps location search you have shown, we seem to be living very close by. By the way I'm from Sai Nagar in Virugambakkam. Where are you from?
I live in elango nagar south, virugambakkam.
Old 24th June 2013, 10:51   #41
BHPian

Minor update : First Service 22nd June 2013/ Time :10:35 AM

After a happy 3 months after bringing "dolly" home, she had to be sent in for the first service. MPL ford was proactive and made periodic calls to enquire about the date i would like to fix my appointment. I decided to take the saturday (22nd) as i would be free the entire day and hence could go for it with minimal stress.

Impressions about the Service centre:

The venue i had chosen to get my first service done was MPL ford vadapalani. The service centre is bang opposite to a small building after going down from the passport office.

Name:  mpl.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  37.4 KB

The place by itself was quite large. They have their service centre with a wash facility and body shop as well. They have a good system of allotting numbers as per appointments with a CV(Number) which is green in color for consumer vehicles and taxi vehicles get a TX(number) with a yellow color. The SA comes to you, listens to your complaints and then, gives the specified timeline. Then the SA allotted is displayed on a board and he comes with a sheet which specifies the make and model of the vehicle concerned. A curious thing in the sheet was a small diagram of a vehicle to show where it was damaged before the vehicle was taken in, also a reading of the ODO, fuel levels was noted down.

Recently, i had the misfortune of going too much to a corner of the road and due to extreme unevenness(thanks to our precision engineering in road designs, got to thank NHAI, my underbody scraped for a good 10 seconds before i stopped. Good thing that none of the crucial parts took a hit. This was incentive for me to get my underbody coating done. Also, an idiotic autowallah had banged my front wheel arch and left a dismal dent(still pains when i look at it) hence i need to get the painting done next week.

Back to the topic, i did enquire about getting an oil change done but the SA vehemently denied on doing it for me and while i expressed my concern, he said he would follow ford's guidance only, and if it was a good practice, why wasn't ford recommending it, was his argument. I do guess they have a point but hey, after being given knowledge on getting the perfect run-in for the engine, i can't help but think. Also, the charges quoted were Rs.1800 for the oil change. Second service at 10000Km as per the SA.

I had the pleasure of talking to a person from the CC department of MPL(i shall not name her for certain reasons). She helped me quite a bit and also, is a friendly person. The whole process was smooth and i liked how streamlined it is. Vehicle was delivered as per specified timelines as well.

Charges:

Labour: free
Wash/Polish : Free
Underbody Coating(Waxoyl): Rs 3226

Positive:

+Vehicle delivered on time

+Complaints regarding a squeaking noise was also addressed but i need to see how long it holds...

Negatives:

Lack of attention to detail, not to the service guys but the guys who polished the interiors. The guy had left grease marks on the seat covers and the car smelled funny. Also, there was polish residue everywhere.

Other things i noted:

*Quite a volume of customers on weekends as usual, expect a lot of vehicles.
*Cashier was on leave on saturday and a poor guy was told to come twice to collect his cheque for a certain claim he had made earlier. (He came from quite far away)
*Some customers were slightly annoyed at the attention i was getting inside. One guy rushed to the SA who was attending to me and asked him to take a look at another customer as well.
*Quite a bit of new people inside, who seemed to be roped in only recently and were trying to figure out how things work.
*They need to keep their waiting rooms a little fresh. There was a table fan and a guy had placed his chair bang in front and had opened his shirt buttons. Needless to say, the room smelt just like him(pfff, my nose had died). It was airconditioned and had lot of ACI magazines. Curiously, dth connection was off.
*Accessories were stocked there as well. Car covers, fog lamps, side strips and other paraphernalia.

ODO till date: 970 Km

Mileage Figures:

Lowest: 15 Kmpl
Average: 16.88 Kmpl
Highest: 20.5 Kmpl

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 24th June 2013 at 10:57.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 11:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Minor update : First Service 22nd June 2013/ Time :10:35 AM
Quite a comprehensive first service review with full attention to detail. Happy to hear about an overall positive experience. Munch more miles sir
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 12:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Quite a comprehensive first service review with full attention to detail. Happy to hear about an overall positive experience. Munch more miles sir
Thanks a lot Arvind71181, i should be the one calling you sir since i am only 23(1989 ).
Old 24th June 2013, 12:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Back to the topic, i did enquire about getting an oil change done but the SA vehemently denied on doing it for me and while i expressed my concern, he said he would follow ford's guidance only, and if it was a good practice, why wasn't ford recommending it, was his argument. I do guess they have a point but hey, after being given knowledge on getting the perfect run-in for the engine, i can't help but think. Also, the charges quoted were Rs.1800 for the oil change. Second service at 10000Km as per the SA.
Hey arch. I got mine serviced from the same place too. Mine had done >2000 kms in 35 days.

Changing the engine oil after the initial 1000-2000kms is highly recommended by many, as the new engine might have metallic residues during the running in period. I think there is a thread here as well.

ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

For me too they said Ford recommends only at 10000kms and they cannot deviate from recommendations. He was explaining blah blah about the recommendations. But I did not budge and told them, "I am going to change the engine oil anyway and its either going to be in your showroom or in another garage. So you people decide". And they had to accept.

I was also charged the same amount as you have quoted.

I would strongly recommend you to get the engine oil changed it the cost involved is not bothering you much.

I also did the underbody treatment, but did it at 3M which has 5yrs warranty and cost a few hundreds more than what you have been charged at Ford.

Last edited by swami.n : 24th June 2013 at 12:34.
swami.n is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 12:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hey arch.....
I also did the underbody treatment, but did it at 3M which has 5yrs warranty and cost a few hundreds more than what you have been charged at Ford.
I am aware of this fact for run-in of the engine but what i do feel stupid about is that i relented at the last moment(The reason for this, is because my purse was empty). I will do it this week since salary gets credited to my account . Also, i did the underbody coating here only because i wanted to show them that i trust them.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 24th June 2013 at 12:38.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote