Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th December 2013, 12:24   #61
BHPian

Default re: Yes, Black Ford Figo TDCi it is (Race Chipped)! EDIT: 40k km update

Hi Swami, that's a great Figo you have there. Sensible choice in taking the LXI & going for after market accessories. The Race Chip is something I drool about, if you could share how the Figo performs on the expressways.

Also is it possible to just have the rear power windows fixed (I own the Titanium). I am not keen on having all the controls by the driver side.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 17:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Hi Swami, that's a great Figo you have there. Sensible choice in taking the LXI & going for after market accessories. The Race Chip is something I drool about, if you could share how the Figo performs on the expressways.

Also is it possible to just have the rear power windows fixed (I own the Titanium). I am not keen on having all the controls by the driver side.
Hey thanks Venkat. The race chip surely adds a few horses to the Figo, but as I have mentioned before, it doesn't make it pull like the MJD powered cars. Though it does add a bit to the mid range where the Figo is sluggish, its not like the remaps. It is great value for the price though.

I think it is possible to add the rear power windows. I think you will have to pay for the complete set, whether or not you intend to use the controls near the driver seat. It might cost you around 11-13k.
swami.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 10:04   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Hey thanks Venkat. The race chip surely adds a few horses to the Figo, but as I have mentioned before, it doesn't make it pull like the MJD powered cars. Though it does add a bit to the mid range where the Figo is sluggish, its not like the remaps. It is great value for the price though.

I think it is possible to add the rear power windows. I think you will have to pay for the complete set, whether or not you intend to use the controls near the driver seat. It might cost you around 11-13k.
Thanks swami, I did consider remapping but its expensive & moreover the Racechip is plug & play, so if I ever sell the car I get to take it & have it installed in the next car (if it supports multiple engines).

Will check with a local dealer about the power windows, It will be sad if I have to pay for the entire set though.
Venkat_Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 13:44   #64

A beautiful report there brother!

I have always loved the Figo, be it the looks or how the drive feels. I was hesitant about the Figo due to Ford's maintenance costs.

Am glad to see the car is really suiting your needs. The ownership report covered all aspects which a guy would look for before taking a decision.

I was driving my friend's Figo and I was signalling a left by waving to others with the wiper

Drive safe with the baby on board sticker.

Peace

Nik
NikzBoz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 15:36   #65
BHPian

Talking re: Yes, Black Ford Figo TDCi it is (Race Chipped)! EDIT: 40k km update

Been a while since I updated about the car. Reason being its running had come down for the past few months as we rebuilt a diesel Enfield Taurus and it had the lion's share of the KMs for a couple of months.

Couple of weeks back, got a mail from Ford regarding a free check up camp. Called them up and booked an appointment. Spent a couple of hours at the Vadapalani MPL service station and got the 50 point check up done.

Few minor issues were fixed. A couple of months back, one fine day when the 12v charging point cap was open, the aux cable's pin unexpectedly fell into it and there was a small spark. Only after a few days I realized the charging point had stopped working. During this checkup, they replaced the fuse that had gone. Though its just a small fuse, I was not able to charge the phone in car for a couple of months. Lesson learnt, do not leave the 12v charger point open when not in use :-)

While I had opened the door panels for the DIY damping, a couple of plastic clips in the door panel and the ORVM's internal adjuster had bent. So asked them to replace them too.

Total cost came to around 100 bucks which included top up of coolant, clips and the fuse. The staff were very courteous and took good care of the vehicle. Post the check up, they followed up well and came to my place to get a feedback survey. 10/10 for their service.

The car completed the 16000 km mark on a recent trip to Trichy.

Figo's extraordinary handling characteristics came to the fore on this trip and it was just sticking to the road like a leech, at speeds where I was pretty nervous in my friend's 2nd gen swift diesel. The steering is perfectly weighted at speeds and we can just attack the curves with confidence. I would even say its high speed dynamics are better than the Punto which I recently drove from Chennai to Coimbatore when my uncle had bought one. Figo can handle a lot more power than its current power plant produces.

Onward it gave solid 20+kmpl as I maintained speeds less than or around the 100 mark. While on the return, did some spirited driving and took the Figo to its redline and mostly it stayed there and it returned an average of 18+kmpl. Fair enough since I did the 330kms drive in 4hrs 40mins, which included a good half hour break and some slow moving traffic in the last 50kms.

Overall, loving every minute of the Figo experience.
swami.n is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 11:36   #66
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of months back, one fine day when the 12v charging point cap was open, the aux cable's pin unexpectedly fell into it and there was a small spark. Only after a few days I realized the charging point had stopped working. During this checkup, they replaced the fuse that had gone. Though its just a small fuse, I was not able to charge the phone in car for a couple of months. Lesson learnt, do not leave the 12v charger point open when not in use :-)
I always keep my charger plugged in the 12 V charging point. So far no issues faced (since last 7-8 years)
However, otherwise it is better to put cap on the charging point.

Regards,

JLS
JLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 11:55   #67
BHPian

How has been the experience with RaceChip till now? Are you running on default factory setting? I can see that you have achieved a considerable increase in the mileage after RaceChipping the car. I am sourcing one for my optra magnum through a relative of mine and will be getting it early next month.
DriveToLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 11:58   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I always keep my charger plugged in the 12 V charging point. So far no issues faced (since last 7-8 years)
However, otherwise it is better to put cap on the charging point.

Regards,

JLS
I'm afraid that cannot be done with the Figo. The current keeps flowing to the charger point even when we remove the key. So I connect the charger only when needed.
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:21   #69
BHPian

Hi Guys, gave the car for the 20k service last week @ MPL vadapalani and the bill was around Rs.48XX/-(Matched what the service adviser had intimated me in advance)

Apart from the general service din't have much to complain, except for the rear right door open lever being a bit tight to open from the outside.

The service person said they will check it, but it may not be covered under warranty as I have done the central locking from after market. But to my surprise, when I went to collect the car, they said they had to change the complete lock kit present inside the door, but changed it under warranty and did not charge me for it. A big to MPL vadapalani. The total service experience was completely satisfactory.
Old 15th August 2014, 14:08   #70
BHPian

Hi Swami, have recently sourced a racechip (base version) through a friend of mine. Its been lying with me for over a week now.

Have grown impatient now & want it fixed in my Figo asap. But I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Also heard that ist a bit difficult to fix the race chip in the figo.

Do you know the step by step process on how to get it fixed or do you suggest I check for a good garage & have it fixed.
Venkat_Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 15:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Hi Swami, have recently sourced a racechip (base version) through a friend of mine. Its been lying with me for over a week now.

Have grown impatient now & want it fixed in my Figo asap. But I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Also heard that ist a bit difficult to fix the race chip in the figo.

Do you know the step by step process on how to get it fixed or do you suggest I check for a good garage & have it fixed.
Hi Venkat, Its great that you have shipped the race chip. I got it fixed at The Torque garage in ambattur estate. They charged 500 for it. But once I saw them, I know the there was no work at all installing the race chip.

For the past few times, every time my car goes for service or free checkup, I have removed it myself and fitted it back again with ease. Trust me it hardly takes 2mins to remove it and fix it.

By the way, where are you located? I can help you out in person. To keep the race chip tied all you need is the adjustment rope that we have in our back pack kind of bags. I just cut the rope from an old unused bag.
Old 19th August 2014, 16:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Venkat, Its great that you have shipped the race chip. I got it fixed at The Torque garage in ambattur estate. They charged 500 for it. But once I saw them, I know the there was no work at all installing the race chip.

For the past few times, every time my car goes for service or free checkup, I have removed it myself and fitted it back again with ease. Trust me it hardly takes 2mins to remove it and fix it.

By the way, where are you located? I can help you out in person. To keep the race chip tied all you need is the adjustment rope that we have in our back pack kind of bags. I just cut the rope from an old unused bag.
Thats very interesting! Installing the RD chip is an insane 3 hour job! Everything had to come off to put it on and take it off again! Terrible.

Doesn't this chip attach to the ECU? How do you access the ECU without getting the battery off etc...
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 19:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Swami, I fixed the racechip myself today, like you said its just a 2 min job if you know your way around the engine bay. It took me 15 mins to get the job done, assisted by a video on youtube. Will post my feedback post on how the racechip has improved the Figo's performance.

And I live in Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thats very interesting! Installing the RD chip is an insane 3 hour job! Everything had to come off to put it on and take it off again! Terrible.

Doesn't this chip attach to the ECU? How do you access the ECU without getting the battery off etc...
Installing the racechip is quite easy, like Swami has mentioned it takes 2 mins to plug & play.

The racechip does not attach to the ECU, but it gets fixed to a blue colour plug behind the engine (I am not so good technically) but will post a pic of it shortly.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 20:06   #74
BHPian

[quote

Figo's extraordinary handling characteristics came to the fore on this trip and it was just sticking to the road like a leech, at speeds where I was pretty nervous in my friend's 2nd gen swift diesel. The steering is perfectly weighted at speeds and we can just attack the curves with confidence. I would even say its high speed dynamics are better than the Punto which I recently drove from Chennai to Coimbatore when my uncle had bought one. Figo can handle a lot more power than its current power plant produces.

.[/quote]

Figo is indeed the best handling hatch around, Punto is a perfect combination of ride and handling. But then Figo is class apart. I used to enjoy my drive around Delhi embassy area. Lot of roundabouts and a lot more fun.
bruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 17:58   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Red Liner, As venkat has mentioned, the Racechip doesn't sit with the ECU. It is just a by-pass controller of the common rail system(the blue plug he mentioned).