Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 17:00   #181
BHPian
 
Maverick79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 572
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Bro are you sure about the 1000 kms? I thought the first one was at 5000 kms.

@madhu33 - will drive Beastie to the workshop myself on Monday (appointment confirmed) and get the shocker and oil leak assessment done in front of me. The actual replacement of the gasket etc. if needed will take a minimum of 3-4 hours if its just the engine oil sump, and its a 2 day job if there is some packing or gasket to be replaced of the gearbox or "front engine casing" .....

Keeping fingers crossed man .....

Doc, in general, the new tires take some time to adjust. Hence, its better to get them checked after FIRST 1000kms for any re balancing / alignment.
When ever the new ones fitted in any vehicle, they are again tested after 1K ( rotated/ balanced/ aligned) for better alignment and steering response. Just to increase their life. Not sure how many really do so though....
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 17:15   #182
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,748
Thanked: 4,338 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Narayan, there are people who stick to recommended schedules - 15k / 30k / 45k
Others who do it more frequently - at half the recommended intervals. I personally don't see any major advantage is doing the oil change more frequently than recommended.

On my previous vehicle - another Tata, I have also done oil changes at 1 year / 10k instead of 6 month /10k interval, and have not noticed any problems. (Though someone could come with a microscope and try to show me the additional wear that he thinks is there).

If you want to do it more frequently, you could do a 7.5k / 15k / 22,5k / 30k etc, so that you get the more frequent oil change - and avoid situations that TSK mentioned.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 17:23   #183
BHPian
 
Maverick79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 572
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Narayan, there are people who stick to recommended schedules - 15k / 30k / 45k
Others who do it more frequently - at half the recommended intervals. I personally don't see any major advantage is doing the oil change more frequently than recommended.

On my previous vehicle - another Tata, I have also done oil changes at 1 year / 10k instead of 6 month /10k interval, and have not noticed any problems. (Though someone could come with a microscope and try to show me the additional wear that he thinks is there).

If you want to do it more frequently, you could do a 7.5k / 15k / 22,5k / 30k etc, so that you get the more frequent oil change - and avoid situations that TSK mentioned.
+1 and I .
Any Tata engine after it crosses 1st 10k, reqgular 10K or 1 Year is the optimum interval for Oil change to get the best of its juice and life. As per the findings in the ERC dept and self experience too.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 03:06   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Doc, in general, the new tires take some time to adjust. Hence, its better to get them checked after FIRST 1000kms for any re balancing / alignment.
When ever the new ones fitted in any vehicle, they are again tested after 1K ( rotated/ balanced/ aligned) for better alignment and steering response. Just to increase their life. Not sure how many really do so though....
Thanks bro. So if you guys remember early on in this thread I had a problem with the steering stop bolts on one side so that the truck developed a huge turn radius on one side compared to the other? Well that time there was replacement in warranty of both bolts (new design and thread) + careful realignment and balancing all around so that the steering moved exactly the same rotations on both side. After that my truck has been totally neutral, no pull etc. Will get this repeated this time on Monday with the rotation - eve if not asked for, just in case.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 11:03   #185
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Spoke to one of my friends who has a new Safari Dicro and does at least a couple of Pune-Mumbai's a week. His Dicor has already closed in on 40,000 kms in the 2 years he has had it. I asked him about my shoulder pain issue and he immediately aske me about my seat position. Apparently the trick is to keep the seat closer (than the spread out laat sahib position I have it on currently) so that the arms are more flexed and you are closer to the steering, and can hold it lower, thus your shoulder muscles not needing to hold up your arms for prolonged periods of time. Will try this on my next highway drive!
I dont know if this helps Doc, but I keep my seat quite close to the steering wheel, with the height adjusted to the highest position, I am 6 feet tall, however there is no fouling of knees or head at this position. Now I drive with the right hand on the steering wheel, with the elbow supported by the door pad. For me this is the most comfortable cruising position, leading to zero aches...
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 15:18   #186
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I dont know if this helps Doc, but I keep my seat quite close to the steering wheel, with the height adjusted to the highest position, I am 6 feet tall, however there is no fouling of knees or head at this position. Now I drive with the right hand on the steering wheel, with the elbow supported by the door pad. For me this is the most comfortable cruising position, leading to zero aches...
I have also done the same bro (seat in highest position), and now another advantage I have found is that my feet (my left foot) instead of resting on the edge of the heel, is now comfortably and naturally flat on the floor alongside the clutch pedal. The elbow is nicely flexed now.

I too drive like you. But as I mentioned in a previous post, the Safari Dicor door sill pad where you rest your elbow for some reason is much more comfortable (feel as well as position) compared to the Storme. Score 1 for Dicor here 100%.

Another small thing is that while the plastics of the Storme are on another level compared to the Dicor, there is still scope for improvement. A small thing but will oint it out nonetheless since I am a nitpicky bawa and it is my birthright basically.

The upper stalk on the right of the steering wheel, where is wrap my fingers around, the top edge of the central horn pad towards the back is a little rough and sharp (not smoothly rounded) and my fingers do not like the feel so I invariably keep my hand much lower at the bottom as a consequence (towards the lower stalk on the right). Which is too low.

Name:  11808.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  234.8 KB

That said, last night went to meet a friend of mine who has the 45+ kms not yet 2 year old Safari Dicor LX. He drove Beastie for the first time. The moment he entered the cabin he commented on the dash being totally diferent and so nice. He loved the material and the finish. He also loved the finish of the door panels and the AC controls and steering stalks (while he desperately tried to locate the headlights LOL). He was then floored by the feel of the gears, the steering, the handling and suspension (he is an aggressive driver to put it mildly), and the throttle response. He was also a bit confused about the feel of the engine (in terms of refinement and vibes as well as the in-cabin sound) and he actually asked me "diesel hai na?"

What TOTALLY floored him was the turning radius of the vehicle, first when he did a U turn out of the parking of Dorabjees (Viman Nagar) and then when he did another tight U around the central divider near the airport. He was totally zpped and siad that either of them would have been impossible in his Safari, even after going suitably wide first to approach the U. His exact statement at the end of the short ride was that at first he thought the Storme was just an external looks makeover of the Safari, but the truck is a significantly refined vehicle and a big jump forward by TATA over the Dicor. Incidentally, his dad is a pretty important man in the TATA factory as well.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th January 2014 at 15:20.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 22:00   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Final leaking shocker replaced today (front right).

These are made by Gabriel. MRP on carton (Mfg. Jan 2014) is Rs. 4437/-. Funny part is that the new shockers have "Safari MF 4x2" in blue on top and another white sticker saying "Merlin FR 4x2 5407 3230 0105" midway down.

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-201401130008.jpeg

The leak in the oil sump casing had recurred after 800+ kms. From the left side mainly, concentrated around the left most bolt. The gasket when opened was completely split at one place, letting the oil through (waiting for their photos, which will be shared with TATA as this is the first case at National at least).

A photo of the new gasket. MRP Rs. 152/-. Mfg. date May 2013.

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-201401130012.jpeg

They've kept the truck overnight for the gasket sealant to dry/cure properly. They fill refill the oil (and top up) tomorrow.

Another question I wanted to ask, w.r.t. rotation of tyres for the Storme (or any car/truck with stepney) - should they do 4 tyre rotation or 5 tyre rotation (including stepney)? If its 5 tyre rotation, can someone please tell me how (pattern) in which it is done? Have asked them to write it down and give it to me (along with wheel alignment report printout) for my records so that at the next service they rotate it properly sequentially and not come back to square 1.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 22:33   #188
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Have attached the wheel rotation pattern for both front and rear wheel drive vehicles

hope it helps!

Name:  Wheel Rotation Pattern.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  19.9 KB

Image source: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43
maglev is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 11:06   #189
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Whats the total mileage of this Storme till date.
I see a lot of people commenting how the Storme is finally a reliable Safari, but somehow, I am unable to understand how a vehicle which leaks oil when new, and has faulty shock absorbers is reliable or trouble free.
Maybe over the years, our expectation of reliability has been redefined.
"If it does not explode when you start it in the morning, its reliable"
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 11:18   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,296
Thanked: 897 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
If its 5 tyre rotation, can someone please tell me how (pattern) in which it is done?
From http://customercare.tatamotors.com/m...ari-storme.pdf

Name:  rotation.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  45.3 KB

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 12:04   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whats the total mileage of this Storme till date.
I see a lot of people commenting how the Storme is finally a reliable Safari, but somehow, I am unable to understand how a vehicle which leaks oil when new, and has faulty shock absorbers is reliable or trouble free.
Maybe over the years, our expectation of reliability has been redefined.
"If it does not explode when you start it in the morning, its reliable"
Tanveer my Storme belongs to the first lot where a problem was clearly identified with the shockers and replacement intimated to all TASCs. AFAIK this issue is not there in the Stormes from later lots.

My Storme has done only 6000 kms to date and completed its 2nd Free Service.

The oil sump gasket leak no doubt was unexpected and has not been reported on any other Storme that I know of.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 12:26   #192
BHPian
 
madhu33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Tanveer my Storme belongs to the first lot where a problem was clearly identified with the shockers and replacement intimated to all TASCs. AFAIK this issue is not there in the Stormes from later lots.

My Storme has done only 6000 kms to date and completed its 2nd Free Service.

The oil sump gasket leak no doubt was unexpected and has not been reported on any other Storme that I know of.
That too is being attended to by Tass.
These type of gasket leakage can happen All though it should not have happened in first place(I agree) but prompt and satisfactory action already by Tass shows why it commands a lot more consumer confidence than a certain Skoda.
Yes I agree that Tml and Tass has a long way to go and there is so much room for improvement but still I have certain amount of confidence in Tml's modern day cars reliability and this confidence certainly goes a little further then bring sure of the bonnet not exploding on the ignition in the morning.
madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 17:47   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
That too is being attended to by Tass.
These type of gasket leakage can happen All though it should not have happened in first place(I agree) but prompt and satisfactory action already by Tass shows why it commands a lot more consumer confidence than a certain Skoda.
Yes I agree that Tml and Tass has a long way to go and there is so much room for improvement but still I have certain amount of confidence in Tml's modern day cars reliability and this confidence certainly goes a little further then bring sure of the bonnet not exploding on the ignition in the morning.
I do not grudge Tanver his cynicism. As a long term customer of the Safari, he has more than earned it. I see in Tanveer with Safaris and TATA shades of me with Bullets and Royal Enfield.

Just came back from test drive of 50+ kms up Dive ghat and down after sump and packing put back and oil topped up to see if the leak recurs. Bone dry. Underbody guard plates put back, truck vacumed and washed and polished. Wheels rotated. Balanced (Silver AMC does not cover balancing and weights - Rs. 300/-). Thanks Comfartablynumb for the correct rotation pattern. Took a print with me just in case but the guy s there were well trained - but even so waited for me per my instructions. Whel alignment done. ECU checked for errors - none. All fluids checked, bolts torqued, battery checked, filter cleaned.

Will hit the highway for another decent drive to try to rack on some more miles so that I have at least 7500-8000 kms by the end of next month when I am scheduled for the 3rd free service and oil change (am just above 6000 kms currently).
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 18:42   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Before I forget, the drive up Dive ghat (the one taken by the Palkhi). Nice wide road. The truck pulls amazingly effortlessly uphill man. If you keep up your momentum fine and gauge the traffic and the overtakes properly without being bogged down behind a wide/slowcoach, then she climbs comfortably in 4th, once even 5th momentarily on a gentle straight, and 3rd only occasionaly, like for switchbacks. RPM mostly 1500 to 2000, maxing up to 2500 before upshifts only. Also love the way she comes downhill without swaying or bobbing or dipping in any plane, giving a lot of confidence to take her around the corners much more confidently and at greater momentum than with the Dicor. The brakes help too ofcourse. Tight. I likes!

Last edited by ebonho : 14th January 2014 at 18:43.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 00:42   #195
BHPian
 
madhu33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Will hit the highway for another decent drive to try to rack on some more miles so that I have at least 7500-8000 kms by the end of next month when I am scheduled for the 3rd free service and oil change (am just above 6000 kms currently).
Your most welcome to Mumbai. We cam also catch up. Would love to get stormed. We can a meal together.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Riding Hood: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT ChoosetoCruze Long-Term Ownership Reviews 10 12th January 2014 08:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks