Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 17:20   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Seriously, it doesn't matter in terms of brightness, however with max intensity the glare might be a bit distracting on a dark night. However its nicer on the eye to have a soft/low glare instrument panel to get maximum night vision on the highway (not that high beam morons from the opposite side of the road allow you to)
So any idea how to dim the HU also? Someone was mentioning it could be done on the Storme HU. I hate reading manulas man!
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 17:24   #47
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So any idea how to dim the HU also? Someone was mentioning it could be done on the Storme HU. I hate reading manulas man!
Sorry doc, I wish I could tell you but the Dicor HU doesn't seem to have dimming options. May be you should start reading the manual for this at least
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 11:30   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

1400 km update

Nothing new to report. The mileage hovers around the 10 kmpl mark. Last couple of fills slightly lower though (9-10). Have stretched her legs to 120 kmph a few times. Otherwise keeping her between 100-110. Which in 5th gear is a very lazy 2100-2200 rpm. I think I've gotten the hang of pulling this monster in term of playing the torque band and the pull in each of the gears. So mch so that now when I jmp into my Baleno i tend to rev more in the lower gears than before and often find myself in the 2nd gear where before I would be in 3rd and so on. But the flip side is that Beastie has made me love Snow White even more. Now when I jump into her some nights just to take her for a rip in and around the city, I absolutely revel in the way I can play the gears and pull to higher rpm's and throw her around the corners with her stuck to the ground and knowing that she will not wander or do the by now customary mid-corner lateral "dip" of the Storme. Ok this is the Storme ownership thread, but just wanted to share the fun I have been having with the old lady as well.

Took Beastie with my kids on to Nagar road last night. Realized what I have been missing out by concentrating my running in runs on the by comparison boring straight NH4 Lonavala-Khopoli and Khambatki-Wai runs. This road tests the handling and high speed cornering of the Storme much better, the road surface is much better, fantastic guard rails and reflective markings and white road markings, and the corners are so much better banked. I was pretty confident of taking most of the sweeping curves at 100-110 with the Storme pretty nicely planted with good feedback through the steering and the tyres. From what I remember of driving the Dicor, the lateral swaying "dip" on such curves would come much more and much earlier, and the Storme really feels "tighter" in comparison.

The engine and gearbox have really smothened out now. The shifts are a pleasure. I still feel 2nd gear is too short (won't comment on the 1st because I shift up by around 20-30 - just past the doors auto locking). In 2nd I feel there is meat and the truck has just started moving but then I see the rpm needle swingling past 2500 towards 3000 rpm and I reluctantly shift up (around 50 kmph at the time).

3rd all the way past 70, 4th all the way past 90, like before. 3rd still feels better than 2nd. Both in terms of being longer as well in terms of response from low rpm's. Do you think the relative lack of "move" in 2nd (in spite of the revs rising) could be something to do with the clutch, or it it normal? In 5th, 110-120 feels like its not really in the band (not lugging, but the feel you get when you are short of the meaty part of the band) but running in guidlelines are being strictly adhered to.

No new squeaks or rattles. The overhead rear A/c makes these intermittent "whooshing" sounds which I can hear just above and behind and to the right while driving at night with the rear A/c on. Some smell does get into the cabin even in re-circulate mode (especially when following 2-stroke blue smoke belching autos). The right side driver window glass still squeaks and is o my to be checked list (which is not very long thankfully). All doors by the Grace of Safari God are rattle free and close perfetly. As does glove box.

On the issue being discussed some time earlier by someone about stock tyres and fishtailing, based on some recent experiences on the Bangalore highway as well as rumblers inside the city, if you go over them at speed, the rear does go "light" and fishtail ever so slightly (I think to the right?). But nothing unmanageable. Is it a tyre fault though? I think it is more to do with suspension set up and damping rates based on my experience with bikes.

The brakes seem to have lost some of their earlier immediate bite. As in terms of the response compared to how much your right foot moves. I find my right foot depressing more than before to get the same response. But so early? I recall someone mentioning changing of pads in warranty due to pre-mature wear, but not at les than 1500 kms surely? The forward creep downwards on applying the handbrake is also on my to be looked into list. You have to really pull the lever to keep the juggernaut stationary. Not a nice feeling when putting yourself as the meat in a sandwich between 2.5 tons of steel on wheels on an incline sloping downward towards you, and a locked heavy metal gate on the other side!

Last point I wanted to ask the guys here. Is the 60 seconds thing at start and before stop supposed to be done every time you start and stop? I mean I do it on my morning commute to office. I do it on my evening commute back as well. But while in office, if I have to go to another building, or go out for a quick bite at lunch, or go in to hand over my keys at security before heading home, is this still needed. I am asking because I am doing this every time, and its really a pain when the idling time in toto (1 minute before start and 1 minute before stop) is more than the actual drive time involved!

Sorry for some prety newbie questions! All in all, loving Beastie and enjoying my trucking.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 12:01   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,744
Thanked: 4,332 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I still feel 2nd gear is too short (won't comment on the 1st because I shift up by around 20-30 - just past the doors auto locking). ... then I see the rpm needle swingling past 2500 towards 3000 rpm and I reluctantly shift up (around 50 kmph at the time).
I think you are up-shifting very late. Suspect it's a hangover from your petrol drives. Shifter earlier, and your FE will show a decent improvement.

Quote:
Last point I wanted to ask the guys here. Is the 60 seconds thing at start and before stop supposed to be done every time you start and stop?
60 seconds when starting on a cold engine. And when you park for the night. In between, upto 30 seconds should be fine, esp when stopping. If you are starting on a non-cold engine, at least be gentle / drive slow for the first minute.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 15:56   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think you are up-shifting very late. Suspect it's a hangover from your petrol drives. Shifter earlier, and your FE will show a decent improvement.
I agree. But now you have me worried. Are the remaining Storme's really getting that much better?

Most reports I have read of brand new Stormes, 10 kmpl seems to be standard.

I think I have read elsewhere a guy having finished close to 10,000 kms who is getting 14 kmpl on the highways and around 12 in the city.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 17:28   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Invoice and Registration of my Silver AMC:

Beastie AMC Invoice.pdf

Beastie AMC Registration.pdf

Hope this helps (lots of confusion thanks to diferent dealers saying different things)!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 18:22   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Spreadsheets for computation of cost of AMC according to contract Term, Kilometers, and number of kms on Odo at time of purchase of the plan.

One for Gold AMC which is fairly straightforward and customized for the Storme.

The other for the Silver AMC, which is much more complicated, is worked out for the Aria (originally), and does not offer any 5 year coverage undr Contract Period for the Storme (unlike for the Aria).

Hope this helps!

Silver_AMC_for_Safari_Strome.xlsx

Gold_AMC_for_Safari_Strome.xlsx
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 22:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,744
Thanked: 4,332 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Most reports I have read of brand new Stormes, 10 kmpl seems to be standard.
Give me some time, and I can tell you

Quote:
I think I have read elsewhere a guy having finished close to 10,000 kms who is getting 14 kmpl on the highways and around 12 in the city.
That should be the target. Again, need some time before I can confirm that
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 11:49   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Give me some time, and I can tell you

That should be the target. Again, need some time before I can confirm that
Sounds like someone has given in to the temptation and booked the Storme.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:06   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Last point I wanted to ask the guys here. Is the 60 seconds thing at start and before stop supposed to be done every time you start and stop? I mean I do it on my morning commute to office. I do it on my evening commute back as well. But while in office, if I have to go to another building, or go out for a quick bite at lunch, or go in to hand over my keys at security before heading home, is this still needed. I am asking because I am doing this every time, and its really a pain when the idling time in toto (1 minute before start and 1 minute before stop) is more than the actual drive time involved!
As condor advised, its when starting a cold engine however I'd suggest referring to the car manual for the recommended time.
fine69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:10   #56
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Last point I wanted to ask the guys here. Is the 60 seconds thing at start and before stop supposed to be done every time you start and stop? I mean I do it on my morning commute to office. I do it on my evening commute back as well. But while in office, if I have to go to another building, or go out for a quick bite at lunch, or go in to hand over my keys at security before heading home, is this still needed. I am asking because I am doing this every time, and its really a pain when the idling time in toto (1 minute before start and 1 minute before stop) is more than the actual drive time involved!

Sorry for some prety newbie questions! All in all, loving Beastie and enjoying my trucking.
Easy way to do this is to coast at idle. For example, second gear at idle rpm is ~20kmph. Drive on idle mode for first 30 seconds. 30 seconds pass quickly. As you fasten your seatbelts, reverse out of parking, or your apartment, or your street.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:19   #57
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I agree. But now you have me worried. Are the remaining Storme's really getting that much better?

Most reports I have read of brand new Stormes, 10 kmpl seems to be standard.

I think I have read elsewhere a guy having finished close to 10,000 kms who is getting 14 kmpl on the highways and around 12 in the city.
Doc, get ur shifts right. I got a consistent 13-13.5kmpl in the city and 15+Kmpl on the highways from day one. The trick is to up shift when in the rev/turbo band. Up shifting when you hit 2000 rpm will give you good economy. Diesel cars need to be up shifted based on rpm and not road speeds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Easy way to do this is to coast at idle. For example, second gear at idle rpm is ~20kmph. Drive on idle mode for first 30 seconds. 30 seconds pass quickly. As you fasten your seatbelts, reverse out of parking, or your apartment, or your
I had a question regarding the idle mode. The car rpm jumps to 1000rpm when it's rolling in idle in any gear versus 800rpm in neutral. I understand as long as I don't spool the turbo during the first 30 secs, it's ok?


Doc, get ur shifts right. I got a consistent 13-13.5kmpl in the city and 15+Kmpl on the highways from day one. The trick is to up shift when in the rev/turbo band. Up shifting when you hit 2000 rpm will give you good economy. Diesel cars need to be up shifted based on rpm and not road speeds...

Last edited by Eddy : 1st May 2013 at 11:10. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:26   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Doc, get ur shifts right. I got a consistent 13-13.5kmpl in the city and 15+Kmpl on the highways from day one. The trick is to up shift when in the rev/turbo band. Up shifting when you hit 2000 rpm will give you good economy. Diesel cars need to be up shifted based on rpm and not road speeds...
Yeah I guess you are right. The manual though mentions break-in limits in terms of speed in each gear, so I tend to use that as my shift point.

Which basically means that most times, unless I short shift, which is never in the first 2 gears, the shift is more often than not at 2500 rpm, with the 2nd gear usually spiking to just under 3000.

Do you guys do this 2000 rpm shifts even after break in? So does that mean that you go into the 3000 to 4000 rpm range only in 4th and 5th?

P.S. What do you mean by not "spooling the turbo" for the first 30 seconds? How do you know that is happening? Is there a particular rppm, sound, feel? Confused.

Last edited by ebonho : 30th April 2013 at 12:28.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:38   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I had a question regarding the idle mode. The car rpm jumps to 1000rpm when it's rolling in idle in any gear versus 800rpm in neutral. I understand as long as I don't spool the turbo during the first 30 secs, it's ok?


Doc, get ur shifts right. I got a consistent 13-13.5kmpl in the city and 15+Kmpl on the highways from day one. The trick is to up shift when in the rev/turbo band. Up shifting when you hit 2000 rpm will give you good economy. Diesel cars need to be up shifted based on rpm and not road speeds...
Yes, it as long as you are not crossing 1200 or so, you are okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yeah I guess you are right. The manual though mentions break-in limits in terms of speed in each gear, so I tend to use that as my shift point.

Which basically means that most times, unless I short shift, which is never in the first 2 gears, the shift is more often than not at 2500 rpm, with the 2nd gear usually spiking to just under 3000.

Do you guys do this 2000 rpm shifts even after break in? So does that mean that you go into the 3000 to 4000 rpm range only in 4th and 5th?

P.S. What do you mean by not "spooling the turbo" for the first 30 seconds? How do you know that is happening? Is there a particular rppm, sound, feel? Confused.
3000rpm in 5th gear is approx 150kmph!!!
That said the only time I cross 2500rpm is while doing mountain climbing, or doing the recommended "Italian Tuneup".
Sometimes its to fix that squeek squeek two wheeler who starts honking with 10 seconds left for the red to turn, however, its not very effective in the safari. I do miss my indica though, she was quite effective in curing this menace.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...t-honkers.html (Red light honkers)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:57   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
3000rpm in 5th gear is approx 150kmph!!!
That said the only time I cross 2500rpm is while doing mountain climbing, or doing the recommended "Italian Tuneup".
Sometimes its to fix that squeek squeek two wheeler who starts honking with 10 seconds left for the red to turn, however, its not very effective in the safari. I do miss my indica though, she was quite effective in curing this menace.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...t-honkers.html (Red light honkers)
LOL that was classic man!

That said, hope my Storme never develops this black smoke cloud disease. Come to think of it, I see this more in Scorpios than Safaris, undr hard acceleration.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Riding Hood: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT ChoosetoCruze Long-Term Ownership Reviews 10 12th January 2014 08:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks