Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th July 2013, 01:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Guys, need some help. My car is due for its first service and I'm confused whether to take BSI or not. Post July, BMW have discontinued the BSI Ultimate option, and have started offering a separate extended warranty option. So I have the option of either taking only BSI Plus or extended warranty or opting for both BSI Plus and extended warranty. BSI plus costs around 2.5 L and extended warranty comes to 90k approx. What do you guys suggest? These rates are for the 5 years/60k Kms scheme. I'm only looking at this scheme for now. Thanks in advance.
I have been a semi spirited driver and still BMW has been diligent enough to change not only my brake pads but also the front discs. I saw the bill estimate for the job and it came to 47k. The car has now done 30,000 km and already I would have utilized the following:

1st service - 12,000 km - approx 18,000
2nd service - 24,000 km - 18,000 for service + rear brake pads at 17,000
Unscheduled - front discs + pads - 47,000

That by itself is a lac in the first 30k kms. I would strongly recommend the package. I am a believer. By the way this a 320d exclusive and not a 520d.

My take is take it and treat the additional 90k for extended warranty as an insurance. Trust me, you won't regret it.

All the best!
elantracrdi05 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 12:22   #32

Default Re: The Story of Freude - My Alpineweiss BMW 520d

Quote:
Guys, need some help. My car is due for its first service and I'm confused whether to take BSI or not. Post July, BMW have discontinued the BSI Ultimate option, and have started offering a separate extended warranty option. So I have the option of either taking only BSI Plus or extended warranty or opting for both BSI Plus and extended warranty. BSI plus costs around 2.5 L and extended warranty comes to 90k approx. What do you guys suggest? These rates are for the 5 years/60k Kms scheme. I'm only looking at this scheme for now. Thanks in advance.

hello brother 275
if u plan to keep the car for five years and drivin it regularly then dont even think about taking the packages ,im a beemer user f10 for the last 18 months and the package helped me a lot..it will be a tension less driving if u have the package....
harryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 15:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboy View Post

hello brother 275
if u plan to keep the car for five years and drivin it regularly then dont even think about taking the packages ,im a beemer user f10 for the last 18 months and the package helped me a lot..it will be a tension less driving if u have the package....
Oh that's pretty surprising because my friend who owns an f10, currently around 20 months old, hasn't faced much issues apart from the regular oil change/vehicle inspection. His running ain't that much though.
Would you mind sharing details about what parts needed to be serviced/replaced and your average monthly running? Would be very helpful for me and other f10 users.
275BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 17:14   #34

sorry cant write all those ,if u can share the mob number ,i will call u brother
harryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 20:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Oh that's pretty surprising because my friend who owns an f10, currently around 20 months old, hasn't faced much issues apart from the regular oil change/vehicle inspection. His running ain't that much though.
Would you mind sharing details about what parts needed to be serviced/replaced and your average monthly running? Would be very helpful for me and other f10 users.
I would say, it is like vaccination. You will really need it just in case. Better be protected than be anxious.

We have stop and go traffic in almost every city. More engine hours, transmission hours than the actual driven kilometers. What happens if the transmission calls for a change because the low end gears are no more good?
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 22:28   #36
BHPian

If I look at my service history for 2 years most of it is brake pad and brake disc replacement apart from regular oil and filters. I think it would be a fatal mistake not to take it considering the cost if things go wrong and you need to replace parts.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 11:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

BSI is a no brainer, you will recover much more than you will pay to get BSI. And its not about facing issues, its about what crops up during the regular life of the vehicle. As Abishek mentions, brake pads and discs are a significant part of the regular maintenance, good to have the costs covered.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 13:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
I would say, it is like vaccination. You will really need it just in case. Better be protected than be anxious.

We have stop and go traffic in almost every city. More engine hours, transmission hours than the actual driven kilometers. What happens if the transmission calls for a change because the low end gears are no more good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
If I look at my service history for 2 years most of it is brake pad and brake disc replacement apart from regular oil and filters. I think it would be a fatal mistake not to take it considering the cost if things go wrong and you need to replace parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
BSI is a no brainer, you will recover much more than you will pay to get BSI. And its not about facing issues, its about what crops up during the regular life of the vehicle. As Abishek mentions, brake pads and discs are a significant part of the regular maintenance, good to have the costs covered.
If I had to decide about BSI a couple of months ago, I would've taken the BSI Ultimate option because of the extended warranty that used to come along with it.
In the current scenario though, I dont think Freude will be doing more than 10000 KMs in a year (unless I decide to shift my base , which is unlikely as of now) which means that with regard to service I'm expecting only the usual engine oil, brake pad, disc changes etc. This doesn't seem to make much sense to me given the close to 3L pricing of the BSI package and the predictability of the service requirements (BSI also doesn't seem to cover anything more than engine oil, brake discs, clutch etc). Agreed that it is more like a vaccination but that I feel will be necessary only if her running is more than this. (Can regular servicing costs be more than 3 L over 5 years? Somehow, whatever risk I maybe taking by not opting for BSI doesn't seem to be so big. Please correct me if I'm missing something here)
Extended warranty I will be taking definitely, and regarding the insurance packages, I plan to take Secure or something that covers everything that comes under secure as long as I keep her. So this should suffice for any unexpected issues like transmission failure etc.
These days, at least in Cochin, many BMW owners are not opting for BSI.

Last edited by 275BHP : 29th August 2013 at 13:50.
Old 27th December 2013, 17:42   #39
BHPian

Guys, need some help regarding insurance for my BMW, which is expiring in a month. I'm thinking of going in for a regular insurance policy with some additional coverage. Definitely taking the zero depreciation cover and apart from that I'm thinking of opting for hydrostatic lock, transmission failure and tyre damage cover(if they have something like that for the RFTs). Is there anything else I must be opting for apart from these? What do you'll think?

Currently I'm getting quotes from multiple companies and based on the premium amount will decide whether to opt for secure itself or not.

Last edited by 275BHP : 27th December 2013 at 17:44.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:23   #40
BHPian

Finally got some time today so updating my thread with whatever has happened over the past few months. Hope its helpful to prospective BMW owners or BMW owners in Kochi.

Insurance Update: After a lot of confusion regarding whether to opt for Secure or not, I finally decided not to, for the following reasons:

a. Secure is too expensive
b. Other companies are offering almost all the facilities that secure covers.

Choosing which policy to take:

First I spoke to the showroom guys regarding with whom they have a cashless tie up with. They said they have one only with Tata, HDFC and Bajaj. Requested quotes from all of them. Bajaj was the most expensive and since I decided to not take secure (secure is offered through Bajaj), Bajaj was out of the list. Now between HDFC and Tata, both were offering almost the same rates for their policies (I was specific I wanted a zero depreciation-transmission cover-engine protector policy). However, Tata's policy had a clause which said I could make only 2 zero depreciation claims a year (or something similar to that), so this was out too. Now, I almost zeroed in on HDFC when I happened to talk to one of my family friends (who is a BMW test driver). He specifically asked me to get some cover for the run flats and alloys. This neither HDFC nor Tata offered.

After some research and talking to many people, I came to know that United India Insurance has a comprehensive policy which covers tires and alloys, on top of all my other requirements. Best of all, the local manager happened to be one of my fathers friends, so finally landed up taking their policy.

A small list of what to look for while taking a new insurance policy from my side (Maybe other BMW owners can add to this list?):

1. Definitely zero depreciation (bumper to bumper) policy
2. The provider should have a cashless tie up with the workshop
3. Engine protector (Also called Transmission cover)
4. Hydrostatic Lock Cover
5. Preferably an NCB Protector scheme (some companies provide this)
6. Run flats tyre cover (they usually cover a certain percentage based on wear and tear)
7. Alloy wheels cover

Oh and yes, after a lot of thinking have finally decided to go for BSI Plus + Extended Warranty for my car. So its going to be sports mode by default from now .

Just one downside to my ownership experience so far, the lack of information the service executives have about their company policies. Had a bad experience with them recently. Anyway, more on that and about what made me opt for BSI after the first service is complete (scheduled next week).
275BHP is offline   Reply With Quote