Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st May 2006, 15:32   #1
BHPian

Default New Car (NHC NHB) has arrived

Hi all,

My NHC ZX Gxi CVT has arrived (finally!) after a 8 week wait.

Am attaching some pics of the car (sorry am unable to post attachments - will try the Gallery Section and attach a link here later) - there is no number plate yet since there was no time to fix one. I hope i can get away with that until Monday afternoon.

I had booked my car on March 25th and had been assured of delivery within 3-4 weeks by Dakshin Honda in Bangalore, but according to them, Honda City did not despatch any CVT vehicles between then and May 10th (do you believe that?). 1 month after my booking I got a call from the dealer that i had an option to change the colour to Silver, when i told her NO, she said i would probably have to wait for some more time and she was not sure when a Black car would be available. I was travelling over the next 10 days, but when i returned, I spoke with the owner of the dealership and they were still not sure when the car would arrive, though they had a fax from Honda that there would be despatches starting the 2nd week of May. We agreed that if despatched was delayed to a date beyond the 25th, he would give another 5k worth of accessories. He had also said (1) he would give me the car the day after it arrived; (2) it is not necessary to take the car to the RTO - only the papers would have to go.

In any case, I got a call on Friday (May 19th) that the car had arrived. Especially due to the case of another team-bhp member who had paid money upfront on the basis that the car would be delivered in the following week, but has had to wait for 5 weeks since, I insisted that i had to see the car before i handed over the dd. I got the dd prepared on 19th, but did not agree to hand it over to the dealer (who did offer to come across to collect it). the sales person there asked me to reach the showroom by 11.30 the next day since it was a Saturday and the RTO would only work only for half a day.

I was eager to get delivery of the car since my brother and my boss were both in town for only that one day (Sat) and i wanted them to be able to see the car.

I reached there by 11 a.m. Their RTO liaison person said it was impossible to get the registration done and that i should have come earlier if i wanted the car registered on a Sat. They said the car would have to go to the RTO office (??), then return for pre-delivery inspection and cleaning and polishing (pdi) and only then could they hand it over to me and since the car would only return to the showroom around 6 p.m (and their pdi department would be closed by then), the earliest i could expect the car would be on Monday. I kept insisting that i wanted the car, wanted it on that day alone and would not accept any other outcome. They said 'impossible'. I finally lost it and said i would walk out of the deal if i didnt get delivery on Sat.

Well, after considering their options (i guess!), they agreed to get all pdi done before they sent the car for registration to the RTO and i could collect the car from the RTO's office itself, which i did.

Sorry to all the modifiers of cars, this is a 'stock' car, with 'stock' fittings (though the model is supposedly a fully loaded one). I have been promised some accessories, which will have to come in on Monday.

I must say that the dealer staff and owner were very patient and polite throughout the entire 8 weeks and that really impressed me. They don't have all the information (which dealer does?), but their customer facing is good. Bottom line is dont trust their word entirely (ask for an allocation listing which Honda despatches to their dealers at the beginning of each month - which lists the despatch dates of each model - by colour). Dont hand over any money (other than advance) without seeing the vehicle. Their 'next week' could mean 'next month' OR 'month after next'

I have only driven the car for about 30 km till now, and it feels wonderful. Brother was very happy, boss felt the rear seat was very comfortable (and she owns a Lexus), the drive was smooth with no surprises. I have filled up the tank with premium BP petrol (36.25 lts) from India Garage petrol pump on St. Marks Road (have found them to be trustworthy over a decade of car ownership)

Suggestions / advice welcome.

PS : Mods - pls shift to another category; was not sure where to place this since it is my very first new post (apart from the Intro)
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 19:39   #2
BHPian

Congratulations Wheeliej.
Welcome aboard the list of the ZX owners. I have the Vtec, silver color....
apurvapatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 20:03   #3
BHPian

Thanks Apurva, its exciting; a new car after 7 years..... your car looks lovely too. i think thats what i will do - add a picture as the avatar.

i tried to add pics, but dont know how to - Mods, can you pls advise.
Old 21st May 2006, 20:36   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Hey WJ congrats on your new ride and looks damn good in black.

You can go through this link if you are finding difficulties in posting pics
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 21:00   #5
BHPian

Hi F_50, you are right; it looks damn good, but very very difficult to maintain. I could see a thin coat of dust already at the RTO office.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/30164.jpg
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/30165.jpg
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/30166.jpg
Hopefully these pics will come thru. Let me know if i need to re-upload the images.
Old 21st May 2006, 21:02   #6
BHPian

Congratulations friend

My city expected in first week of june, it was delayed due to increase in RTO charges from 12 to 21% for corporate registration
Sri_009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 21:05   #7
BHPian

Thanks Sridhar. Am sure you are anxious. When i heard that registration charges had been hiked in Bombay, I was worried. As it is, we pay the highest price for cars (read 'highest taxes') in Karnataka and that is why i wanted it registered at the earliest.

Remember to ask the dealer for the allocation list; for some reason Honda is delaying deliveries. So, if you have been promised delivery in 1st week of June, then your car should be despatched by last week of May; the allocation listing will be with your dealer already.
Old 21st May 2006, 23:23   #8
cnu
BHPian

Hi Wheeliej,

Congrats on your new CVT. Black does need some extra maintenance. Take care of her and enjoy your ride.

Cheers
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 23:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratuations,man.
Honda's black has always been exceptional.
Let us know how frugal ur CVT is.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 12:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guess there are a lot of Honda lovers..Congrats to wheeliej who has been very patient to get his vehicle..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 13:31   #11
BHPian

U got the best car in C/C+ segment...

enjoy ur ride..
speedbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 15:39   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys for the congratulations.

I am facing one problem though and i hope you guys can help advise me. I am driving the car slowly due to run-in period and i dont have to worry about gears and clutch. How do i keep awake? I find myself feeling very very sleepy on the long drive to office and back.
Old 24th May 2006, 15:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej

I am facing one problem though and i hope you guys can help advise me. I am driving the car slowly due to run-in period and i dont have to worry about gears and clutch. How do i keep awake? I find myself feeling very very sleepy on the long drive to office and back.
Drive in the fast lane in slow speeds. People will never let you sleep.

BTW, nice looking car. Congrats

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th May 2006 at 16:01.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 16:11   #14
BHPian

Wheeliej

Congrats on your new car. Looks ultimate in black
Wish you a safe ride

Deepu
deepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 16:13   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej

Sing out aloud along with the tracks playing in your car.....

Burjis - BTW Congrats on your new car.
burjiis is offline   Reply With Quote