Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2016, 03:04   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,371
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Speaks volumes about the reliability and abuse tolerant nature of the engine, bodyshell and chassis of the Mahindra Bolero
Hats off to you and your friends for getting it back and also the Police officials to look out and contact you after finding the car. It felt like an endurance test for both the car and you (Similar to what Tata is doing at VRDE).

Happy for the Bolero and you too. A definitely tough nut. My love for this car and the manufacturer has gone up leaps and bounds.
a4anurag is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 17:17   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,521
Thanked: 2,253 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Great to see it back, albeit a little bruised.

Did you get a final estimate for the repairs? Is Insurance covering it?

Congrats again! Hope to see 46 back in action soon.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 19:19   #78
BHPian
 
lapis_lazuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zilla Ghaziabad
Posts: 440
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

What an amazing account! That too from the badlands! Curious to know, if the thugs left the engine number, the chassis number and the transaxle number untouched or mutilated them? What did you do with the plates finally? The last pic still has the fake UP plates!
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 21:09   #79
BHPian
 
Shivanshu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 200
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Wow what a story, I am a big fan of Bolero and may be my next vehicle would be the one. The vehicle faced lot of bruises, whats the update eagerly waiting.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 15:34   #80
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 505
Thanked: 1,192 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT-Stolen & Recove

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
All in all- one thing has impressed me. The Bolero after toppling over, just stood up, shook itself off (just changed a 400 buck fuel hose) and covered a high speed 1200 kilometer journey without a whimper. I dont know which other engine would have been able to withstand such abuse and still manage to get up and go. Speaks volumes about the reliability and abuse tolerant nature of the engine, bodyshell and chassis of the Mahindra Bolero
The old DI engine is highly regarded with good reason - A great many depend upon it to make their livings, and it doesn't often let them down. In the case of the Bolero, I'd say a "pickup" (actually tractor) engine in a passenger vehicle is a lot better "mismatch" than the other way around, which is kind of what we had with the old Peugeot-powered Commanders.

Glad you got it back and looking forward to its renovation - and VERY pleased to hear of the helpful nature of both the police and the M&M showroom in the midst of your ordeal.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 19th April 2016 at 15:38.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:25   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 240
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
The old DI engine is highly regarded with good reason - A great many depend upon it to make their livings, and it doesn't often let them down. In the case of the Bolero, I'd say a "pickup" (actually tractor) engine in a passenger vehicle is a lot better "mismatch" than the other way around, which is kind of what we had with the old Peugeot-powered Commanders.

Glad you got it back and looking forward to its renovation - and VERY pleased to hear of the helpful nature of both the police and the M&M showroom in the midst of your ordeal.

-Eric
Thank you Eric. Yep, i can definitely see now why the whole of the country uses this engine for making their living. I have attached some pictures of the 'renovation' on today's date. Broke my heart to see the Bolero like this but I guess things are going to get better from now on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Wow what a story, I am a big fan of Bolero and may be my next vehicle would be the one. The vehicle faced lot of bruises, whats the update eagerly waiting.
It is definitely an absolutely fantastic vehicle to own. I would wholly recommend it. The update as of today is that the part have reached from the Mahindra factory and they are now in the process of dismantling the parts of the bodyshell which need to be scrapped and will then start putting it back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
What an amazing account! That too from the badlands! Curious to know, if the thugs left the engine number, the chassis number and the transaxle number untouched or mutilated them? What did you do with the plates finally? The last pic still has the fake UP plates!
Badlands indeed. I was absolutely scare of getting robbed out there in an 'open car' . Non of the numbers were mutilated as the car toppled over while they were taking it to the final destination (wherever it was). However, I tham a 100% sure if they had reached that place, the car would have been unrecognizable with all the identification numbers mutilated or shaved off and replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Great to see it back, albeit a little bruised.

Did you get a final estimate for the repairs? Is Insurance covering it?

Congrats again! Hope to see 46 back in action soon.
Yes i did. Somewhere around the range of 2.5 lakhs - 3 lakhs. I will have to pay 50% on metal, 25% on fibres and 100% on little switches and knick knacks so am assuming a bill for me in the range of 1 lakh rupees :(
Thank you. I hope to see it back in action soon as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hats off to you and your friends for getting it back and also the Police officials to look out and contact you after finding the car. It felt like an endurance test for both the car and you (Similar to what Tata is doing at VRDE).

Happy for the Bolero and you too. A definitely tough nut. My love for this car and the manufacturer has gone up leaps and bounds.
Thank you. Mine has too! It was an unforgettable experience. An adventure if you will- but one in which I was an involuntary participant

Some pictures as on today:

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-1.jpg

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-2.jpg

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-3.jpg

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-4.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 29th June 2016 at 17:36. Reason: Correcting image orientation
rahul4321 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:22   #82
BHPian
 
Shivanshu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 200
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
It is definitely an absolutely fantastic vehicle to own. I would wholly recommend it. The update as of today is that the part have reached from the Mahindra factory and they are now in the process of dismantling the parts of the bodyshell which need to be scrapped and will then start putting it back together.
Great so things are moving. How did the insurance people react are they covering it completely. Cant wait to see it back on road. And have you thought about the anti-theft device?
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 15:26   #83
BHPian
 
zalaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GJ 1
Posts: 295
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I have attached some pictures of the 'renovation' on today's date. Broke my heart to see the Bolero like this but I guess things are going to get better from now on.
Hey Rahul,
Happy to see 46 reaching workshop. Which workshop have chosen? Punjab or Sheetal?
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 19:31   #84
Newbie
 
longsyntax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Hey Rahul, great to know you got your Bolero back. Whats the status of the repairs?

Also to everyone, just out of curiosity, what is the procedure if someone's car gets stolen and then recovered, albeit damaged and they decide they want to sell it? Do the insurance pay the difference between the sale price of the damaged vehicle the IDV as in the case of an total loss accident?

Thanks
longsyntax is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 12:23   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 695 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Nice to see the 46 getting back to its form. Have you decided on how to secure the Jeep in the future and prevent such an incident to occur again?
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 14:40   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

You can buy these wheel locks and use them anywhere.
I would paint them dark color so that they are not readily visible.
Name:  5125LdQUV2L.jpg
Views: 7876
Size:  46.1 KB

On my way to work, I have seen a guy using these on his Force Toofan.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 16:02   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Congratulations on getting your Bolero back.
Bolero and Scorpio are in high demand in badlands of UP.

There was a thread about how cars in cities are stolen and then sent to UP/Bihar for election duty/taxi duties, Some are sold off in Nepal.

Please check this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ts-inside.html (White Bolero stolen. And then RECOVERED using GPS Tech!! Screenshots inside)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html (Story of Pajero Theft)

Last edited by silverado : 30th June 2016 at 16:04.
silverado is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 23:16   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Thanks for your detailed account of the goons making merry with your Bolero and then abandoning it. The theft must have been very painful for you and family. Hope the Bolero is back to its normal self soon.

These take a lot of abuse and are just the fittest ones for our Indian conditions. Having been using Mahindra vehicles incl. the CJ 3B, 4 A, 500 D, 540 DP, Bolero and now the Scorpio, must say that I have immense faith in the company's products. I have used all these jeeps and the oldest Bolero of 2001 with the XD3P engine for continuous, long distance journeys for days together. Even the tyres failed but never the mechanicals. From the 540 DP onwards, Mahindra MUV's have become much more reliable workhorses. Also most of their dealers are quite good.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 02:48   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 30
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Some pictures as on today:
Rahul,

Its amazing how you got back your Bolero back. Being an X owner of a Bolero, i can imagine what you could have gone through when you first saw that it was missing. Please post latest pictures and the costs that you incurred into getting it done
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 10:44   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 240
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recov

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsyntax View Post
Hey Rahul, great to know you got your Bolero back. Whats the status of the repairs?

Also to everyone, just out of curiosity, what is the procedure if someone's car gets stolen and then recovered, albeit damaged and they decide they want to sell it? Do the insurance pay the difference between the sale price of the damaged vehicle the IDV as in the case of an total loss accident?

Thanks
Thank you. I am glad to get the Bolero back as well- irrespective of the damage it had taken. The status of the repairs is almost at the edge of completion. I am attaching some pictures in this post which basically shows a timeline of the repairs. Some of the pictures really disturbed me- I had no way of knowing they were going to rip the car to its innards. But all said and done- i hope to get the Bolero back soon.

To answer your second question, I was in this conundrum myself. The IDV of my Bolero was 4.2 lakhs so that was what the insurance company would have paid me. However, the repairs themselves were going to cost a hefty 2.5-3 lakhs including a new bodyshell, new paint, new dashboard and labour charges (basically everything excluding the engine which is well- bulletproof). The insurance company in this case wanted to pay me the IDV but I had some of my own calculations which went like this

IDV which the Insurance company would have paid HDFC (whom I have taken a loan from)= 4.2 lakhs minus Claim processing charges etc = Roughly 4 lakhs
My loan outstanding with HDFC for the car = 2 lakhs
Cash in hand= 2 lakhs
New Bolero = 7.5 lakhs
New Loan = 5.5 lakhs

I checked with the dealership guy he said looking at the fact that I did not have a zero dep policy (big mistake- but I did not know about this policy when i bought my car), I might have to shell out close to 0.8-1.0 lakhs on account of the insurance coverage of only 50% on paint, plastics and a few other miscellaneous things. That 1 lakh rupees was proving to be much less than taking a fresh loan of 5.5 lakhs again so I decided to get the car repaired. They were willing to offer me the IDV but I chose the other route


Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Nice to see the 46 getting back to its form. Have you decided on how to secure the Jeep in the future and prevent such an incident to occur again?
I am definitely getting a GPS installed or a Wheel lock as mentioned in ariesonu's post below. I personally prefer a deterrent more than a recovery though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
You can buy these wheel locks and use them anywhere.
I would paint them dark color so that they are not readily visible.
Attachment 1522747

On my way to work, I have seen a guy using these on his Force Toofan.

Regards-Sonu
Thank you. I will definitely get them!


Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Congratulations on getting your Bolero back.
Bolero and Scorpio are in high demand in badlands of UP.

There was a thread about how cars in cities are stolen and then sent to UP/Bihar for election duty/taxi duties, Some are sold off in Nepal.

Please check this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ts-inside.html (White Bolero stolen. And then RECOVERED using GPS Tech!! Screenshots inside)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html (Story of Pajero Theft)
Thank you. Yes- the cops in UP told me the same thing too; that the car was probably headed towards Nepal. I really do wish Mahindra does something about the safety on this car. If Maruti can give those sensors on a 3.5 lakh rupee WagonR's key, Mahindra should definitely give them on a 5 lakh rupee plus Bolero. Especially as they are so prone to getting stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks for your detailed account of the goons making merry with your Bolero and then abandoning it. The theft must have been very painful for you and family. Hope the Bolero is back to its normal self soon.

These take a lot of abuse and are just the fittest ones for our Indian conditions. Having been using Mahindra vehicles incl. the CJ 3B, 4 A, 500 D, 540 DP, Bolero and now the Scorpio, must say that I have immense faith in the company's products. I have used all these jeeps and the oldest Bolero of 2001 with the XD3P engine for continuous, long distance journeys for days together. Even the tyres failed but never the mechanicals. From the 540 DP onwards, Mahindra MUV's have become much more reliable workhorses. Also most of their dealers are quite good.
Thank you so much for your wishes. Yes- it was quite painful to be honest. Wow, thats quite an impressive list of M&M vehicles which you have owned. I agree with you completely regarding the mechanicals- especially on their old school engines. They are robust and abuse-friendly. The Bolero is very close to being completely repaired- have attached some new pictures in this post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
Rahul,


Its amazing how you got back your Bolero back. Being an X owner of a Bolero, i can imagine what you could have gone through when you first saw that it was missing. Please post latest pictures and the costs that you incurred into getting it done
Thank you Karthik. To be honest- I was shocked to the point of being frozen when I first saw it was not at its usual parking space. It really is an ordeal I would not want any car-lover to suffer. I have posted some pictures of its recovery in this thread. The costs- I will post as soon as the Insurance Surveyor comes and checks the bill. I will also be able to give an exact breakup of how much they are paying versus how much I have to bear


Recovery Pictures

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 5613
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 5602
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 5575
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 5663
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 5631
Size:  37.1 KB

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-8.jpg

M&M has the 7 seater Bolero and the 9 seater Bolero. I proudly present my single seater Bolero!

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 5476
Size:  14.6 KB

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-10.jpg


And I found one more picture a friend had taken- this is somewhere in UP; me playing the fool.

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-1.jpg

Last edited by rahul4321 : 1st July 2016 at 10:55. Reason: captioning
rahul4321 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White Bolero stolen. And then RECOVERED using GPS Tech!! Screenshots inside BoneCollector Street Experiences 55 6th November 2014 16:10
Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible" 4x4army 4x4 Vehicles 180 24th April 2014 17:00
Urgent - Fiat stolen can you help? Edit: Now Recovered thanks to BHPian Veldeep!! karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 102 17th February 2012 12:48
New Pajero got STOLEN THIS MORNING in Mumbai. EDIT: Now recovered! GTO The Indian Car Scene 43 31st January 2010 00:07
Saddam's son's stolen hot wheels recovered diwa Shifting gears 4 9th July 2008 19:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks