Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd August 2013, 21:44   #31
BHPian

Default re: Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year, 15580kms done !!!

Here are attached few pictures of the travel from Mumbai to Manor and Jawahr.

It was a splendid drive of total 300 in total.
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1114.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1115.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1118.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1134.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1137.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1232.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1239.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1246.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1266.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1273.jpg  

Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-dsc_1275.jpg  

RishiSuri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 16:22   #32
BHPian

Default re: Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year, 15580kms done !!!

Good pics. If you could answer a few questions

- How did it go over broken roads (2nd last pic)
- Did you encounter any really bad road or off-road situation? Want your advice on Cruze's GC and propensity to bottom scraping.
jalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 17:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
and the other on the back window of the car.
Seems like the back window LTD picture comes from inspiration from somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalva View Post
How did it go over broken roads- Did you encounter any really bad road or off-road situation? Want your advice on Cruze's GC and propensity to bottom scraping.
Allow me to answer your queries Jalva

I have just now completed 45,000kms in my Cruze and during this journey it was seen beautiful roads, bad roads, worse roads and NO-ROADS

The last category was during my epic drive to north which was about 6000kms and Cruze went through some no roads in MP and MH

You can check the details here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...let-cruze.html (Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze)

Another goa trip here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ruzed-goa.html (CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!)

within the last 2 months, I have undertaken 2 journeys totalling 3600kms and during one of them did about 50kms completely through dense forest with no roads at all and last week again went through some NO Roads near Raichur

All these times, the Cruze performed impeccably and in my entire ownership, I can count how many times the bottom may have scraped
< 10 times for SURE

It's front hang is the only cause for worry which will scrape for sure if your climbing in steep incline like an elevated store/parking etc. Otherwise, the cruze hardly bottoms out.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 22:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Seems like the back window LTD picture comes from inspiration from somewhere else?

Allow me to answer your queries Jalva

I have just now completed 45,000kms in my Cruze and during this journey it was seen beautiful roads, bad roads, worse roads and NO-ROADS

The last category was during my epic drive to north which was about 6000kms and Cruze went through some no roads in MP and MH

You can check the details here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...let-cruze.html (Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze)

Another goa trip here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ruzed-goa.html (CRUZE'd to GOA !!!!!!!)

within the last 2 months, I have undertaken 2 journeys totalling 3600kms and during one of them did about 50kms completely through dense forest with no roads at all and last week again went through some NO Roads near Raichur

All these times, the Cruze performed impeccably and in my entire ownership, I can count how many times the bottom may have scraped
< 10 times for SURE

It's front hang is the only cause for worry which will scrape for sure if your climbing in steep incline like an elevated store/parking etc. Otherwise, the cruze hardly bottoms out.

The LTD sticker was also on my earlier car VIVA CRDI same place

Like Avi stated, the car has performed really well on the bad roads. The road which i got while driving to Jawahr was much better than the craters i had to drive during the monsoon season in Mumbai.

The clearance is pretty decent to manage the bumps but yes as rightly pointed by Avi, the front lower part does get scrapped while going on steep decline and sometimes going in a deep pot. However despite going in it is still durable and intact without any cracks.
RishiSuri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 16:31   #35
BHPian

Thanks mobike and rishi for your inputs. Its time for me to take a test drive
jalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:34   #36
BHPian

Default Silver Hawk 5000Kms Update

The Silver Hawk today touched the 5000Km mark. After 4.5 months of driving majorly in the city the milestone was achieved.
The car has performed to the mark with no major issue.

Observations of minor issues:
1) Wiper noise: On rare occasions there was a screeching noise from the wiper as if it needs oiling. Came for few occasions but then subdued.

2) Horn : On slow speeds and after frequent honking the horn when heard from inside has a breaking noise. its not a constant sound but a breaking sound as if its not honking properly. When you stop the car and honk after few minutes everything is fine. Maybe something to be checked when I get serviced at 7500kms or has anyone getting the same issue and knows the quick fix?

3) Slow Speed: The car feels to seem lil weird when being driven on slow speed, as if carving to cross the 2000RPM when trying to speed up. have tried to drive or accelerate keeping RPM below 2000 but it behaves as if dude don't kill me. Press the gas.

4) Average: I don't need to check as driving bumper to bumper what can you expect? as for the record the latest I got was 6.8Km/l.

5) reversing noise from rear side: When reversing on low speed I get a thud noise that goes away when in motion. Not sure again what is causing it but will definitely be something as checklist of 7500km car servicing.

The pic for the milestone.
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Hawk - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic UPDATE : 1 year & 15,580 kms done !!!-photo.jpg  

Old 15th October 2013, 08:11   #37

Congratulations on your ride RishiSuri, I own the WhiteSteed Auto myself, and have already clocked 18900~ km already in the first year now (Another 8 days to go!). No niggles so far and its a fine machine.

Please note my responses and few pointers that may help you.

Quote:
The Silver Hawk today touched the 5000Km mark. After 4.5 months of driving majorly in the city the milestone was achieved.
The car has performed to the mark with no major issue.

Observations of minor issues:
1) Wiper noise: On rare occasions there was a screeching noise from the wiper as if it needs oiling. Came for few occasions but then subdued.

>The wiper may have hardened (Happens due to long exposures to sun usually), you may want to replace it with Bosch wipers which costs about 1000INR. You will appreciate the difference immediately.

2) Horn : On slow speeds and after frequent honking the horn when heard from inside has a breaking noise. its not a constant sound but a breaking sound as if its not honking properly. When you stop the car and honk after few minutes everything is fine. Maybe something to be checked when I get serviced at 7500kms or has anyone getting the same issue and knows the quick fix?

> It seems the issue may be two areas: A) the connection to the horn may have become loose and heating up causing the issue, B) the horn's breaker contacts may have to be tuned. Both will need you to take it to the nearest authorized dealer for a dekko and quick-fix unless you want to check for A yourself.

3) Slow Speed: The car feels to seem lil weird when being driven on slow speed, as if carving to cross the 2000RPM when trying to speed up. have tried to drive or accelerate keeping RPM below 2000 but it behaves as if dude don't kill me. Press the gas.

> I understand this problem, and when going slow, use the Manual mode and change the gear to 3rd (+++). The TorqueConvertor is smart enough to manage the slip intelligently and wont downshift unless you go down to <5kmph. Additionally, as I have noted, in Manual mode, it wont let you shift to 3rd till >20kmph, 4th till >40kmph, 5th after >60kmph and 6th after >85kmph. This holds good for downshifts also which will happen automatically based on the aforementioned speeds. So in slow speeds, try the above method and you will be able to keep the engine purring at <1700rpm yet have enough torque at hand.

4) Average: I don't need to check as driving bumper to bumper what can you expect? as for the record the latest I got was 6.8Km/l.

> Go easy on the accel pedal (I know its hard not to enjoy the feeling of surge) and it will reward you with better numbers. To get better fuel efficiency use only normal diesel (no power or special diesels recommended by manufacturer) and always check full tank to full tank figures. I used to get 9~10kmpl for first 10,000kms in city and upto 13kmpl during. And post the third service at 10,000kms (Oil change), I am getting 10~11kmpl in city and 13~15kmpl on longer drives. On longer drives change to manual right after 85km/h and force it to 6th for achieving better kmpl. You can move it back to Auto mode after shifting it to 6th, it holds the gear. Over a period the transmission "learns" the shift pattern and does an early upshift based on your driving habits.

5) reversing noise from rear side: When reversing on low speed I get a thud noise that goes away when in motion. Not sure again what is causing it but will definitely be something as checklist of 7500km car servicing.

> This could be your rear brakes, I remember a milder version during early too, and got it fixed at the service center during the first reasurrance service.

The pic for the milestone.
Additional tips:
1. The outside mirrors have a heater for defogging which is activated via your rear window defrost button.
2. If you don't press the brake and press the start-stop, the Ignition will be turned on in Acc mode (Yellow light on the push-to-start switch). This will auto turn-off in 10mins. Good for folks sitting in the car while you get hot Samosas from the hawker at chowpatty
3. Remember to idle for 1min at both times, warm-up before driving off and shutdown after a drive. This will protect your turbo from early failures.
4. FYI: I assume you have a Fam-Z engine (1998cc) as I do, that means it comes with a timing chain instead of the belt in the VM series engine. This means more robust engine and longer life.
5. For better fuel efficiency and prevent scraping of front/bottom, use Nitrogen and at 33~35psi (I use 35psi) which will give you slightly stiffer ride but no scrapes and better fuel efficiency as well.
6. If you use android phone use aCar application to keep track of your fuel top-ups, service costs and mileage logging.
7. I really hope you have taken the Chevy promise which will mean all your services will be FREE (including oil changes and minor/major replacements). My cost of services have been 0 so far! Its a worth investment even if you compare the costwise. Check other threads for coverage details (Replacement of brake pads, etc).

I hope if we meet anytime I could give you some more tips for your Hawk! Cheers and enjoy your worthy machine!
highwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 07:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwalker View Post
Congratulations on your ride RishiSuri, I own the WhiteSteed Auto myself, and have already clocked 18900~ km already in the first year now (Another 8 days to go!). No niggles so far and its a fine machine.

Please note my responses and few pointers that may help you.

Additional tips:
1. The outside mirrors have a heater for defogging which is activated via your rear window defrost button.
2. If you don't press the brake and press the start-stop, the Ignition will be turned on in Acc mode (Yellow light on the push-to-start switch). This will auto turn-off in 10mins. Good for folks sitting in the car while you get hot Samosas from the hawker at chowpatty
3. Remember to idle for 1min at both times, warm-up before driving off and shutdown after a drive. This will protect your turbo from early failures.
4. FYI: I assume you have a Fam-Z engine (1998cc) as I do, that means it comes with a timing chain instead of the belt in the VM series engine. This means more robust engine and longer life.
5. For better fuel efficiency and prevent scraping of front/bottom, use Nitrogen and at 33~35psi (I use 35psi) which will give you slightly stiffer ride but no scrapes and better fuel efficiency as well.
6. If you use android phone use aCar application to keep track of your fuel top-ups, service costs and mileage logging.
7. I really hope you have taken the Chevy promise which will mean all your services will be FREE (including oil changes and minor/major replacements). My cost of services have been 0 so far! Its a worth investment even if you compare the costwise. Check other threads for coverage details (Replacement of brake pads, etc).

I hope if we meet anytime I could give you some more tips for your Hawk! Cheers and enjoy your worthy machine!

Thanks Highwalker for the tips, i am planning to get the check ups and tuning of brakes during my first service which is due in a month. regarding the fuel efficiency and cost tracking I use GasCubby app on Iphone.

I tried a few times driving in manual mode and then putting it in Automatic but due to the maddening traffic i get going from west to east i prefer to let it be in auto mode. No offense but hope you understand its the comfort that you get being stuck in traffic. But surely I try to use the Manual mode on an empty road that is early morning.

I had been in double minds for a long time to go for Nitro or remain with regular air in my tyres, but since the air pressure needs to be checked every alternate week courtesy the road condition, I am going forward with Nitro. Will plan by next weekend to have it in the tyres. the current Air pressure i am maintaining in the car is 33ps.

Looking forward to meeting you someday.
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 15:43   #39
BHPian

Unhappy The first accident

That ill fated day came today, where my car got its first major accident impacting the body

While going on the NCP drive an enjoying the lovely drive of new cuffe parade i entered Wadala and the moment i cross the intersection of IMAx entrance a biker comes in bangs on the right backside bumper. The worst part who hit me was a cop!.
The drive went for a toss, did not had any more eagerness to continue. So called up the Showroom and they stated sure bring it in we will fix it. The cop suggested to take TAD report which we got, but as its said don't expect anything from the law the same happened here. Despite being his mistake he did not utter a single time sorry but only thing he re-assured see, no one is hurt. you are a rich person, i can get this fixed from road side mechanic.

I clearly refused for the same. The car has been given in Chevy authorized showroom for repair and will be using my 0 Dep insurance. I came to know i ca n use 0 Dep only twice a year!

Anyhow they are targetting to deliver my car by Friday or Saturday, so will be without my hawk for a week. And this is how my diwali started with a diwala :(

The pic is attached to show the damage
Attached Images

Old 21st October 2013, 14:04   #40
Team-BHP Support

Rishi, sorry to know about the incident. The bumper looks bad. But, its not that bad that you need to use your zero dep insurance.

I would have taken this to my friendly local garage and got it fixed in 2K or lower

Bumper needs to be refitted back with the screws and dents removed and painted. I suggest you find a garage that can help you with these knick knacks in future. I have a permanent garage who fixes such small dents and nicks.

Keep us posted how much the bill that is quoted by A.S.S ( I know you wont be paying anything but, an estimate is always good to know)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Rishi, sorry to know about the incident. The bumper looks bad. But, its not that bad that you need to use your zero dep insurance.

I would have taken this to my friendly local garage and got it fixed in 2K or lower

Bumper needs to be refitted back with the screws and dents removed and painted. I suggest you find a garage that can help you with these knick knacks in future. I have a permanent garage who fixes such small dents and nicks.

Keep us posted how much the bill that is quoted by A.S.S ( I know you wont be paying anything but, an estimate is always good to know)

Hey Avi,

The bumper clips had broken so the existing one would have not fitted back to the original, also if you look closely there are cracks in the bumper due to which rather than driving a broken cracked bumper its better to replace it with the new one.

I did ask the estimate and post all the charges i would be paying around 2500 (acessories are not included in 0 Dep). I have this bad habit i dont like car with scratches and this being still within a year,, couldnt see the car as if its old enough to be sold.

I will have to search a local mechanic or will find out from other cruze owners via team bhp. Its a good suggestion to get nicks and minor repairs via local mechanic
Old 26th October 2013, 18:22   #42
BHPian

I got my car back after being repaired. I was impressed by the courtesy and service done by JMD motors, Thanks a lot!. They gave a nice car wash and also applied polish to the interior dashboard to give a nice shine

The total claim was for 21180 and insurance didnt cover all due to the accessories like clips washers etc not part of claim.
Hence out of my pocket i only paid 2640.

@highwalker : Thanks for your recommendations related to horn and while reversing the car. Actually the connection to horn was loose which has been fixed and also the brakes cleaned to remove the noise.
Old 26th October 2013, 20:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Vid the manual +/ - mode is there, I have not yet removed that white film from the gear lever (to save it from the dirt, as the area next to it is covered with hash grill) . Its hidden underneath it. Tried the manual mode in city not sure if it happens in other cars as well but what cruze offer is
1) if you are slowing down it automatically puts the gear in lower gear
2) if you are not at the optimal speed, it will not allow you to move to the higher gear.
Hi Rishi,

This Phenomenon is common with all Automatics, whether the auto tranny is with Torque Converter, CVT or DSG. I own City AT with Paddle Shifts, So when I engage the Sports Mode to activate the paddles, The car automatically downshifts while decelerating or doesn't allow me to upshift early If I am not in the power band.

I am quite surprised by your fuel efficiency figures. Single digit figures are scary. I drive everyday from Kandivili to Worli, and my City returns me an average ranging between 9.8km/ltr to 10.5km/ltr. Dad sometimes drives down in his office car which is a Laura, similar distance, similar traffic conditions, however his Laura has never gone below 12.5km/ltr (In-fact it is a driver driven car). Figures of 7km/ltr & 8km/ltr are definitely not the ones you should be happy with. I would suggest you to cross check with other fellow Cruze AT owners and validate those figures.

Hope to see you tonight for the drive, since your mean machine is back...
sawnilrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 13:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Hi Rishi,

This Phenomenon is common with all Automatics, whether the auto tranny is with Torque Converter, CVT or DSG. I own City AT with Paddle Shifts, So when I engage the Sports Mode to activate the paddles, The car automatically downshifts while decelerating or doesn't allow me to upshift early If I am not in the power band.

I am quite surprised by your fuel efficiency figures. Single digit figures are scary. I drive everyday from Kandivili to Worli, and my City returns me an average ranging between 9.8km/ltr to 10.5km/ltr. Dad sometimes drives down in his office car which is a Laura, similar distance, similar traffic conditions, however his Laura has never gone below 12.5km/ltr (In-fact it is a driver driven car). Figures of 7km/ltr & 8km/ltr are definitely not the ones you should be happy with. I would suggest you to cross check with other fellow Cruze AT owners and validate those figures.

Hope to see you tonight for the drive, since your mean machine is back...

Hi Sawnil, sadly my commute from Juhu to Goregaon has major bottle necks due to long waiting at the famous intersections and the worst bumper to bumper traffic when sometimes going from Goregaon west to east with 45 minutes of literally idling.

I believe in your Kandivili to Worli drive you are only getting bottle neck though a moving traffic on Western highway from Jogeshwari/ Dindhosi flyover till Santa Cruz.

Yes I did go for the Zombie drive and met other fellow Bhpians it was a nice drive along with good outing.
Old 30th November 2013, 16:57   #45
BHPian

Default The First Service - 6 months

So finally that moment arrived when the car had to go for its first servicing. It did not had yet clocked 7500Kms however it did had done 6 months. The mind was confused to do or not to do.

Then the mega meet came in and another road trip in month of mid December to Gujarat. So the mind was made up , get the car serviced and then enjoy the long rides.

On taking to the servicing station, the technician informed the first service would primarily be inspection of the vital things of the car and if needed will be refilled/ replaced. Along with this there would be Wheel alignment and wheel balancing which would roughly be around 1800.

The car was given and after a prompt wait of 4 hours I had my car with me. When discussed with the technician, there were no issues in the car all the vital parts are optimum (Man you can imagine the feeling that in these 6 months of driving on mars the car is still intact).
Yes it did require wheel balancing and alignment (why wouldn't it, you are driving on craters not on road).

The final bill that came out was rs1213. My initial experience is its pretty economical for servicing this car though I was thinking it would be near 3K.

I am impressed. So the SilverHawk is all ready for the Mumbai Mega meet. Hope to get up early and drive with fellow bhpians.