Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2013, 22:36   #16
Newbie
 
vikram_cl55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 9
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Well I just bought a vxi too. Happy in all depts. Except the engine. I believe the ECU in this is given way too much control over performance. I observed that the idle RPM stayed close to 800 or so, but if you run the car for say a good 5 minutes or more, the rpm stays glued to 1k, idle it for 30 seconds, rpm drops to 800 again. It's a nice idea to save fuel. But in terms of performance, the ECU learns how you drive for a couple of kms and delivers performance accordingly. You drive slugglishly and the engine gets underpowered. The dowside of the engine is, even on 'max performance mode' (driving on high revs) engine feels very very sluggish. The 86bhp number DOES NOT translate to actual performance. Had a very hard time on the high way downshifting repeatedly. SAD to say, the lag on initial gears feels almost worse than a diesel.
vikram_cl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 15:12   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 20
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Few months back I asked around a bit for suggestions on TeamBHP. With the popular verdict I bought myself a Swift ZDI. I've done almost 2000 km's on it and it feels amazing. The handling as many had pointed out has been one of the best features of the car. I had one doubt though:
Last weekend, I did my first Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai trip via the Expressway. I was a bit apprehensive so got the tyre pressure checked first thing before leaving. To my surprise the tyres were actually over-filled (for lack of a better word). The guy at the fuel station told me each tyre had around 50ps whereas it should have been around 33ps. It seems that the showroom guys had done this. Not sure what the reason for that would be. Any thoughts?
Raviganatra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 20:41   #18
BHPian
 
Astonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post
Few months back I asked around a bit for suggestions on TeamBHP. With the popular verdict I bought myself a Swift ZDI. I've done almost 2000 km's on it and it feels amazing. The handling as many had pointed out has been one of the best features of the car. I had one doubt though:
Last weekend, I did my first Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai trip via the Expressway. I was a bit apprehensive so got the tyre pressure checked first thing before leaving. To my surprise the tyres were actually over-filled (for lack of a better word). The guy at the fuel station told me each tyre had around 50ps whereas it should have been around 33ps. It seems that the showroom guys had done this. Not sure what the reason for that would be. Any thoughts?
Showroom guys never check the pressure when they fill the air. Absolutely normal (I know it sounds stupid but that's the fact). You should have checked the pressure at the time of delivery. It would have been the same case.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 15:01   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 20
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
You should have checked the pressure at the time of delivery. It would have been the same case.
@Astonite: Absolutely, lesson learnt. Thanks for the advice. I just have more more update though. This is one week after I got the Air checked and filled, I checked again yesterday. This time all the tyre's were at only 20 ps. It was surprisingly low for 7 days. Though I drove almost 600km (highway driving) during this time. Could it be the driving or the fuel station guy from earlier had a incorrect gauge. If the latter is true then the Showroom guys would have the correct air filled.

Also, would be great to know how does the feel differ when you are driving in either very low or very high tyre pressure. Still working my way around knowing my car better...
Raviganatra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:07   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 92
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Thanks ZMG.

First Service:-
-3M Underbody coating for the upcoming rainy season.
-License plate number imprinted on the door mirrors, Why my father felt that was worth getting I do not understand o.O
-Air filter in AC which also my father requested. I was surprised it didn't already have one by default. The service man said filters for outside air coming in, only Kizashi and the likes have it.
-Free labour for the first routine service. Above had labour costs attached to them.

4,500 Total Cost.
Hi Maky, Thanks for this wonderful review.

I am planning to buy Swift Vxi in next month, I have two questions for you.
1. You mentioned about upright rear seats in your post above; My mother too mentioned about it when i took her around in the TD car. I would like to know, are the rear seat too uncomfortable for drives of 5-6 hours? We also took the TD of Grand i10 and found it to be super comfortable. Just would like to know your opinion on this

2. Do you recommend to go for the under body coating, i think i read it somewhere that these days vehicles already come with the anti corrosion coating- not sure if that is true.

Thanks.
Autolock123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:48   #21
BHPian
 
Maky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 737
Thanked: 322 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Hi Maky, Thanks for this wonderful review.

I am planning to buy Swift Vxi in next month, I have two questions for you.
1. You mentioned about upright rear seats in your post above; My mother too mentioned about it when i took her around in the TD car. I would like to know, are the rear seat too uncomfortable for drives of 5-6 hours? We also took the TD of Grand i10 and found it to be super comfortable. Just would like to know your opinion on this

2. Do you recommend to go for the under body coating, i think i read it somewhere that these days vehicles already come with the anti corrosion coating- not sure if that is true.

Thanks.
Hi Autolock123,

For drives as long as 5-6 hours not only will the back be uncomfortable but the legs as well, the rear leg room is absolutely abysmal as is common for cars of this segment.

I do not think you will need under body coating for at least the first monsoon season. I believe it came with a coating under the body from the factory or so I was told by the Sales guy. Thereafter I would recommend it and when you do get it don't use the official service provider but someone like 3M, they may charge more but you will get a better job.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I've been using this car for almost 2 years now and have a much better understanding of it's positives and negatives now.
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 12:21   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 92
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Hi Autolock123,

For drives as long as 5-6 hours not only will the back be uncomfortable but the legs as well, the rear leg room is absolutely abysmal as is common for cars of this segment.

I do not think you will need under body coating for at least the first monsoon season. I believe it came with a coating under the body from the factory or so I was told by the Sales guy. Thereafter I would recommend it and when you do get it don't use the official service provider but someone like 3M, they may charge more but you will get a better job.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I've been using this car for almost 2 years now and have a much better understanding of it's positives and negatives now.
Thanks for your reply.

I really liked the Swift however the rear bench is the cause of concern for family. We would be travelling to hometown ( thrice in every two months) which is 5-6 hours journey.
In your opinion, is it really that uncomfortable - when compared to Grand i10 that it should be a reason to reconsider the purchase.During my short TD i personally found it to be not a big issue but want to know the comfort factor on long drives.My parents would be occupying that seat most of the time.

Also, from brochures I learnt that Swift speakers do not come with tweeters, Is it possible to install tweeters in aftermarket ?

Thanks.
Autolock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 16:47   #23
BHPian
 
Maky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 737
Thanked: 322 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I really liked the Swift however the rear bench is the cause of concern for family. We would be travelling to hometown ( thrice in every two months) which is 5-6 hours journey.
In your opinion, is it really that uncomfortable - when compared to Grand i10 that it should be a reason to reconsider the purchase.During my short TD i personally found it to be not a big issue but want to know the comfort factor on long drives.My parents would be occupying that seat most of the time.

Also, from brochures I learnt that Swift speakers do not come with tweeters, Is it possible to install tweeters in aftermarket ?

Thanks.
I haven't sat in the rear seat of the i10 So I'm not sure if it's better than the Swifts. I think all hatchbacks have cramped rears and long drives in the back will be painful in any small car.
I personally wouldn't base the purchase of a long-term purchase such as a car on 3 journeys every two months alone but rather look at the package as a whole and buy the car which overall satisfies me. If it's extremely vital that the rear seat comfort be there and you're absolutely certain than the i10 is leagues ahead of the Swift in this department then by all means go for it.

I got the middle variant which came without a music system so I had mine installed later on. My tweeters are mounted on the side panels, keep in mind that tweeters can be mounted in the component door speaker(screws in the middle) itself, just that the sound stage would suffer. I'll take pictures of my install for you when I get back home.

Last edited by Maky : 24th February 2015 at 16:51.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 18:47   #24
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 500
Thanked: 826 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I really liked the Swift however the rear bench is the cause of concern for family. We would be travelling to hometown ( thrice in every two months) which is 5-6 hours journey.
Also, from brochures I learnt that Swift speakers do not come with tweeters, Is it possible to install tweeters in aftermarket ?

Thanks.
Autolock123,

Have you taken a look at Tata Bolt XMS Petrol?
You'll get best in class rear leg room and decent Harman audio system, which should satisfy two of your above concerns.

The best of all, you'll get 2 airbags and ABS(all this at just around 15k over Swift VXi).

I strongly feel that you should consider the Bolt for the safety features alone.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 15:25   #25
BHPian
 
Maky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 737
Thanked: 322 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Also, from brochures I learnt that Swift speakers do not come with tweeters, Is it possible to install tweeters in aftermarket ?

Thanks.
Here you go:

Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi-1.jpg

Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Autolock123,

Have you taken a look at Tata Bolt XMS Petrol?
You'll get best in class rear leg room and decent Harman audio system, which should satisfy two of your above concerns.

The best of all, you'll get 2 airbags and ABS(all this at just around 15k over Swift VXi).

I strongly feel that you should consider the Bolt for the safety features alone.
This is good advice.
Autolock123 have a look at the new Bolt as well, I've heard good things about this car. Keep in mind the after sales service won't be comparable with either Maruti or Hyundai though.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 14:28   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 92
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I haven't sat in the rear seat of the i10 So I'm not sure if it's better than the Swifts. I think all hatchbacks have cramped rears and long drives in the back will be painful in any small car.
I personally wouldn't base the purchase of a long-term purchase such as a car on 3 journeys every two months alone but rather look at the package as a whole and buy the car which overall satisfies me. If it's extremely vital that the rear seat comfort be there and you're absolutely certain than the i10 is leagues ahead of the Swift in this department then by all means go for it.

I got the middle variant which came without a music system so I had mine installed later on. My tweeters are mounted on the side panels, keep in mind that tweeters can be mounted in the component door speaker(screws in the middle) itself, just that the sound stage would suffer. I'll take pictures of my install for you when I get back home.
Maky, thanks for pics and the info.

The Swift face lift launched last year now has music system in Vxi model as well. However, it says just the 4 speakers and no tweeters. From the web i learnt that the tweeters help to enhance the sound quality and are recommended.
Autolock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 14:37   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 92
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Maky & theredliner,

Thanks for your inputs.

I did took the TD of Bolt as well, quite a good car.But for now I am considering only Grand i10 and the Swift. I am already sold for Swift while the family is for Grand i10.

I have planned for a TD again for both the cars post which I will take a final decision.

Hoping that good incentives should come in budget on 28 Feb.
Autolock123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 18:49   #28
BHPian
 
Maky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 737
Thanked: 322 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Maky, thanks for pics and the info.

The Swift face lift launched last year now has music system in Vxi model as well. However, it says just the 4 speakers and no tweeters. From the web i learnt that the tweeters help to enhance the sound quality and are recommended.
They are 100% recommended if you're serious about music. The Front sound stage is horrid with music coming out of just the doors.
Put some money into a decent pair of Morel components(9k~) and you're golden.

Best of luck with your future new car!
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 11:20   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 92
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Hey Maky,

After a lot of thought i have decided to go ahead with Grand i10.

Would like to thanks you and other members of the group for the inputs which helped a lot to make a decision.
Autolock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 14:28   #30
BHPian
 
Dead Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Ownership Review - My Maruti Swift VXi

Sometimes at the factory after the car is assembled, the tyres are over filled around 50% . This is a safety precaution to prevent the tyres from "flat spotting" in case the vehicle is having to be kept parked for long period (perhaps a month or two) at one place. This is also done for vehicle being shipped from one country to another.
However, the dealership is supposed to check and correct the pressure prior to delivery. This is a standard procedure in the PDI. I guess they slipped up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post
Few months back I asked around a bit for suggestions on TeamBHP. With the popular verdict I bought myself a Swift ZDI. I've done almost 2000 km's on it and it feels amazing. The handling as many had pointed out has been one of the best features of the car. I had one doubt though:
Last weekend, I did my first Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai trip via the Expressway. I was a bit apprehensive so got the tyre pressure checked first thing before leaving. To my surprise the tyres were actually over-filled (for lack of a better word). The guy at the fuel station told me each tyre had around 50ps whereas it should have been around 33ps. It seems that the showroom guys had done this. Not sure what the reason for that would be. Any thoughts?
Dead Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Maruti WagonR VXi - Ownership Review longhorn Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 109 26th November 2017 19:36
My new Maruti WagonR VXi - Ownership Review ravradha Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 2nd August 2014 06:19
Maruti Swift ZXI Old version or Swift VXI New Version? kirantp Hatchbacks 16 31st December 2011 07:30
Swift Vxi & Swift Vdi - Ownership/Service/Running costs dcetech Hatchbacks 4 26th October 2009 22:28
Maruti Swift -Vxi (ABS) 1000km ownership report raghutk Long-Term Ownership Reviews 0 27th August 2007 14:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks