Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th June 2013, 19:19   #16

Default Re: White 4-door VW GTI - Initial Ownership Impressions

Thanks Sreejith!

I did look at the A3 initially, but the lightly-used market isn't all that hot for A3s. Also, you don't really see too many A3 roaming the streets, so its very difficult to find a good specimen. Besides, an A3 with the same miles and same year as a GTI is thousands more expensive, all for basically the same car with slightly nicer interiors and a better badge. Also, I didn't expect the A3 to be as much fun and involving to drive. My thought process was to either get a fun-to-drive car (GTI, Cooper S, CC) or go very safe with a TSX or Juke, with some fun quotient.

The 6-speed DSG on the GTI is a different unit from the 7-speed one on the Indian VWs. The 6-speed unit in the US has its idiosyncracies and some common problems (mechatronic unit can be buggy) but nothing very major. If I were you, I'd keep my eyes peeled on the Polo TSi ownership threads instead.
kinetic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 21:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
On another note, would any of you guys recommend getting a clear paint protection film installed on the front of the car? I already see one tiny stone chip on the bonnet. My earlier car got hammered over 40k miles of driving, and don't want this pristine white paint to become all pockmarked.
Yes, do get it. Usually the bumper and half or full bonnet. Don't do headlights or fog lights as it may heat up causing problems. You can also do side mirrors.

But for sure, get the bumper and hood done if it is clean. Will save you lot of headache and won't cost much for a GTI.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 22:36   #18
BHPian

Congratulations ! The snaps are neat, and so is the machine. Though I did not have a chance to drive this one, I am a big fan of VW. They are mean German machines..indeed.

The cockpit gives what we refer to it as a 'sporty' feel, which was expected. The alloys add a good touch. I do not think any cars plying on Indian roads come factory fitted with that diameter (the modifies ones with extra thin tires and big diameter alloys looks ugly 'to me').

Enjoy your rides, and make sure to come back here and tell all of us here about your experience. Cheers mate !

Last edited by nkishore_007 : 14th June 2013 at 22:49.
nkishore_007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 14:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
What I like about it
Understated yet aggressive looks
Quality interior
Mature ride and handling characteristics
Fantastic engine+transmission combination
Overall ergonomics
Getting thumbs-ups and rocker signs from fellow GTI owners

Some things I don't like
Definitely lower on features and flair compared to its direct competitors (Cooper S, Focus ST)
Outright power lower than competitors (Impreza WRX, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3)
DSG can get a little annoying at low speeds, especially when cold
Thanks for posting a review, and congratulations on the GTI!

I was in the market for a hot hatch recently too and test drove all the cars mentioned in your post, and ended up choosing a Focus ST.

It was tough deciding between the GTI and the Focus ST as I wanted performance and refinement (no engine drone at highway speeds and decent interiors) and the ST won mainly because of the Recaros and the fact that the GTI is getting replaced soon.
meghan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 00:41   #20

Congrats on your Focus ST! I saw the garage images, and it is THE hot hatch in the market currently. I had a chance to drive one around a dealership lot (while looking at a used Juke) and I fell in love with the induction noise and those seats.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 11:55   #21

Hey. Congrats on your Gti. I also own a 2012 candy white gti base model. I just love to drive it especially the sports mode.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130615_232538.png
Views: 481
Size:  401.2 KB
hellsangelzooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 00:54   #22

Awesome car, even if I saw so myself! If you could, please post an ownership experience, would be very interested to know what your experience has been.

Also, I am guessing you love Mr. Shell and Mr. BP quite a bit, seeing as you love the sport mode
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote