Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd June 2014, 20:51   #241
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi

Hi Robi,

You have quite an interesting thread here. I couldn't stop and read the whole thing.

Anyway, I noticed that on page 5 you have RCD 510 (made by Delhpi, Chinese) and then on page 12 you have a different unit (this one is by BOSCH, portugal).

You can easily spot the button layout difference.

Question I have is that why did you change (BT functionality?)
and what other changes did you observe between the two units ( Screen quality, sound quality etc)

AFAIK Delphi also supports Bluetooth and requires a cheaper cable for USB integration.

The Delphi units are incredibly cheap and I am contemplating buying one. Also I currently have a RCD 310 on my Passat so both should be direct swaps? Am I right?

Help would be great. Thanks
Crazy_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 00:24   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Robi sir.. video of exhaust please

I hear automechs is making a catless exhaust for our cars. I've ordered a set (pretty cheap 11k without muffler or resonator or CAT). Lets hope pete can get the Decat map finalized fast. I hear he's doing some testing on it still.
Prithwi planning to do the video once I get the entire exhaust system. Peter has been testing the automech setup for almost a month now. I should be getting it soon. Lets hope it shows some tangible performance gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi Robi,

You have quite an interesting thread here. I couldn't stop and read the whole thing.

Anyway, I noticed that on page 5 you have RCD 510 (made by Delhpi, Chinese) and then on page 12 you have a different unit (this one is by BOSCH, portugal).

You can easily spot the button layout difference.

Question I have is that why did you change (BT functionality?)
and what other changes did you observe between the two units ( Screen quality, sound quality etc)

AFAIK Delphi also supports Bluetooth and requires a cheaper cable for USB integration.

The Delphi units are incredibly cheap and I am contemplating buying one. Also I currently have a RCD 310 on my Passat so both should be direct swaps? Am I right?
The Delphi unit didnt support the BT functionality in the cluster and was lacking a few functions. Even the sound quality is a bit better with the Bosch unit. Also be careful while buying the Delphi unit as cheap imitations are widely available.
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 14:50   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Prithwi planning to do the video once I get the entire exhaust system. Peter has been testing the automech setup for almost a month now. I should be getting it soon. Lets hope it shows some tangible performance gains.
The biggest choke point after the resonator is the CAT in the GT TSI. Removing it should give huge gains ~ 10-15hp, and will also allow us to raise the boost pressure a bit more. So all in all, look for a 25-30hp gain from a catless downpipe along with a bit more top end pull.

On the same note, this is what I really appreciate about Peter and his team. They dont hurry to just launch a product into the market. They take their sweet time testing it thru and thru, fine tune the map to the T, and then release it to the market. Kudos to the man as in such a small market, such intense R&D and testing is rarely found!
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 19:27   #244
BHPian

Hi Robi,
now that you have been driving yout TSi for nearly a year now, may I know whats your opinion on the DSG box ? Does it stand reliable and what do you hear about it from any known source with respect to reliability and issues.
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 22:38   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
Hi Robi,

now that you have been driving yout TSi for nearly a year now, may I know whats your opinion on the DSG box ? Does it stand reliable and what do you hear about it from any known source with respect to reliability and issues.

No issues with reliability .... However for pure stop and go traffic, the torque converter of the Hyundai is better than the DSG which is significantly jerky at low speeds especially when downshifting to 2/1. Having said that, a remapped tsi comfortably trumps any car this side of the octavia in terms of pure pleasure
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 22:52   #246
BHPian

really, how is that ? I thought the dsg was the smoothest gearshift of them all due to having 2 gears.

Can you please expand on this a bit ? I'm currently in contemplation between i10 grand at vs polo gt tsi. my main running will be in delhi. which is more suited for me ?
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 23:25   #247
BHPian

Ok, I think i've provided partial information.

Im actually looking at a GT TDi and TSi.

Im expecting that during facelift launch in July ' 14 - there will also be a GT Tdi with DSG offered.

I was told there could a possibility. Until now, not offering the only reason was pricing of the TDi when compared to the TSi.

Now, that the TDi is being downsized to qualify for a lower import duty from the present 24% for 1.5 litre and above to the expected GT TDi with lowe than 1.5 litre to attract only 8%.

So i think this 16% saving of about 1.25 lakhs if VW working can offer to accommodate the TDi at the same ex-show price to match the current offering.

so, only basic question is can the TDi be mated with a DSG box ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
No issues with reliability .... However for pure stop and go traffic, the torque converter of the Hyundai is better than the DSG which is significantly jerky at low speeds especially when downshifting to 2/1. Having said that, a remapped tsi comfortably trumps any car this side of the octavia in terms of pure pleasure
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 00:07   #248
BHPian

For delhi, it's the gt tsi by far. The stop and go traffic I'm referring to is more like Mumbai in peak hour.
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 08:49   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
really, how is that ? I thought the dsg was the smoothest gearshift of them all due to having 2 gears.

Can you please expand on this a bit ? I'm currently in contemplation between i10 grand at vs polo gt tsi. my main running will be in delhi. which is more suited for me ?
The DSG has 2 clutches and not 2 gears.

The DSG shifts extremely past and it's so superior vs the Grand i10 that there's no point in comparing it at all.

The only chink is stop and go condition when the DSG hesitates a little. This is because it is like a manual transmission and will slip the clutch a little to get moving. This clutch slipping to start from stop is not always smooth and results in slight jerks.

The Grand i10 being a torque converter does not have this issue as there's no clutch.

Ofcourse once you do get moving in the Polo GT TSi, the Grand i10 will only be a spec in your rear view mirror.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 11:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

You cannot compare i10 AT and DSG, because DSG is like 2 manual gear boxes in one unit, its more like your AMT from Maruti but very very advanced. Plus 7 gears makes it quite frugal compared to i10. If budget is not a concern then go for Polo TSI.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 11:31   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Removing it should give huge gains ~ 10-15hp
I don't know the technical side of this.

Can you explain how the removal of a catalytic converter alone increases power output? Aren't you just allowing easier flow of exhaust gases? Isn't power generation entirely on the engine? Noise aside, is it a "felt" difference?

I find it hard to believe there can be so much gains in power with just a cat con removal.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 19:21   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The only chink is stop and go condition when the DSG hesitates a little. This is because it is like a manual transmission and will slip the clutch a little to get moving. This clutch slipping to start from stop is not always smooth and results in slight jerks.
I wouldn't call it hesitation - it takes a few seconds to engage, unlike a torque converter, which is always raring to go.

Also, the jerkiness isn't while moving from a stop but more while coming to a stop suddenly, when the DSG has to rapidly downshift. This becomes lesser as the car runs in a bit.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 19:58   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I wouldn't call it hesitation - it takes a few seconds to engage, unlike a torque converter, which is always raring to go.

Also, the jerkiness isn't while moving from a stop but more while coming to a stop suddenly, when the DSG has to rapidly downshift. This becomes lesser as the car runs in a bit.
As far as I remember there was some hesitation when moving from a standstill urgently. If you floor the pedal and want to get moving quickly it hesitates like slipping the clutch. You don't feel when you start off from standstill gently. I found it more pronounced in the Superb TSi than the Polo TSi.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 21:44   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

Yes it takes about a second or two ; not more to get moving and the jerks are more pronounced only when we brake suddenly and try to accelerate again . it happens to me mostly when I brake on roads where sudden potholes creep up at speeds of about 40-60km/hour .
I don’t understand how it can become less as the car runs in ; can you please elaborate on that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
As far as I remember there was some hesitation when moving from a standstill urgently. If you floor the pedal and want to get moving quickly it hesitates like slipping the clutch. You don't feel when you start off from standstill gently. I found it more pronounced in the Superb TSi than the Polo TSi.
Yes it does not take off very cleanly at times when you floor the pedal; also if you floor it or even tap the accelerator out of sync the gear engages with a audible sound which really grates on the mind and makes me cringe . Luckily it has not happened too many times . Also one time I was really surprised at the amount of spin on the wheels when I really floored it.
All said and done when you are flooring the pedal; once the power starts getting transmitted to the wheels that push back into your seat is just …

P.S: my comments concern the Vento TSi .
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 01:38   #255
BHPian

Sandeep, the CAT is the biggest chokepoint in the turbo car system. Removing it allows u to spool the turbo faster, get to peak boost earlier and reduces the heat soak of the system. Also, smoother & faster exhaust flow allows u the flexibility to raise the boost of the turbo to nearly 1.5 to 2PSI on the Polo GT with a remap over the stage 1 tune. That is your source of extra power. I'd say currently the Stage 1 Pete's remap does about 115~125bhp depending on fuel used. Removing the cat and raising boost gets u to about 147bhp which is the max the 1.2L engine and turbo without sacrificing reliability.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote