Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2014, 10:22   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
I was thinking of other mods for the car such as k&n air filter, automech cat back exhaust and a Forge BOV
Congrats on your first performance mod.

As the Pete's guy has mentioned DSG ECU makes use of the "fuzzy logic", so it would take some time to understand your driving habits. Hopefully you would be able to see the difference after few kms.

After reading couple of articles(one from Prithwi too), I understand that if you are driving only on Indian roads(not on tracks) I guess Polo TSi has more than adequate power. Only thing you would miss is better suspension and better braking.

Pete's also is an authorized distributor for the Bilestein. Heard that Bilestein B6 is the VFM option(which transforms the car) for the Polo GT which costs Rs 60K.

Braking: you could replace the brake pads to Brembo(around 2.5K), and make changes to the brake settings to "hard"(as mentioned in the VCDS thread)

Regards,
Rohan

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 10th October 2014 at 10:24.
shetty_rohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 13:27   #92
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

I have gone on a longish drive in my remapped TSI and i am still on the road hence unable to actually post a longer update however the Petes remap is a revelation. I will post a longer review once i get back home but in word the car after the remap is AMAZING.
chase_nt is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 13:44   #93
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,867
Thanked: 9,701 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
however the Petes remap is a revelation.
Looks like the remapped ECU woke up from its slumber! Perhaps the car was waiting for its owner to take her away from the congested city roads.

Shall wait for the detailed report. In the meantime, do check if someone can lend you a VCDS cable so you can set XDS to Strong which would get rid of the understeer and improves cornering.

23k looks like a super sweet deal for a remap.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 19:37   #94
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
The GT TSI is a bat out of hell and I expected it to be a bat out of hell with an extra pair of wings or at least an extra wing after the remap however all my excitement fizzled out after driving the remapped TSI . Sure it was fast but the stock TSI is also fast and I expected that the 20-25 bhp bump in power would make it even faster and put an even wider grin on my face after driving it. Alas that was not the case. For a Pete’s remap the cost me Rs 24,000 the end result where in I can say that I got a bang for my buck was definitely missing.
First things first let me start off by apologizing to any one from Pete's who may have read my above comments. I admit that i was wrong and i jumped the gun before i could stretch my remapped TSI's ECU enough to feel the power of the Pete's remap. Here are a few cardinal rules for anyone planning on remapping their TSI's. First and foremost wait for the remap to settle and for your cars ECU to get accustomed to the new engine map. The second, run your car for at least 30 or 40 odd kilometers to feel the difference kicking in (Pete's says that you can expect full results of your remap after 100-150 km of running). Third and another important thing is to avoid over expectation. At the end of the day its a 1.2 L engine and the lil GT TSI cannot accelerate like a Porsche or Ferrari just because it is running a remap. It's also better if you take your TSI out on the open road ie the highway and test the remap out instead of city roads during rush hour. Having said these things and having eaten the humble pie let me start off with my experience of going on a long drive of close to 125 kms on my remapped TSI.

Some of the phrases or words that went through my mind as i kept experiencing my remapped TSI were "Holy Cow", "Oh My God", "Insane", "Scintillating". The fact of the matter is that i didn't want to come home and i just wanted to keep driving the GT TSI on the highway akin to Mad Max driving his "Interceptor" . I was in D mode for a while especially when there was more traffic on the highway and in S mode most of the time however i didn't really try out the M mode as there was no need for it. There was more than enough thrill being in the S mode itself. I felt that the TSI's engine has become a whole lot smoother in D mode and the car was pretty quick to reach 60 or 80 in D mode without any effort at all. The S mode was a whole lot different compared to the S mode on my stock TSI. The car was super quick to reach 80 and then a slight lull kicks in between 80 -100 and then the car is super quick again. So basically i was able to detect 2 lulls in the cars acceleration. The first lull is when you launch the car from 0-20 and this lull is there in the stock TSI as well (they say its to increase the longevity of the DSG and prevent fast wear and tear of the transmission). The second lull on reaching 80 is more pronounced in the remapped TSI because the acceleration from 20-80 is really fast and then you just don't feel the car doing the same thing from 80-100. Without these lulls in acceleration i feel that a stock TSI running the right fuel and having only a remap can easily achieve a 0-100 time of anywhere close to 8.5 seconds or faster. If you throw in other mods such as air filters, exhaust etc im sure that such a TSI can be as fast as a Cooper S to the ton. The stumbling block seems to be the second lull in acceleration from 80-100 and if only that can be circumvented then the remapped TSI would be a different beast altogether.

Having said that once the car hits 100 there is an unmistakeable surge in power once again.

I felt that my remapped TSI was doing alright in the braking and handling department though its outputting a whole lot more power than stock (the tires/brakes/suspension are still stock). I was under the impression that the remapped TSI would require me to urgently change the tires or brakes but i guess i can live with the stock brakes and tires for now (i guess it all depends on the driver). I am going to go ahead with mods such as the K&N air filter, Pete's exhaust and a Forge BOV over the next few months and if i find that the cars handling is getting affected due to a further increase in power then a tire upgrade will be in the pipeline. I was so engrossed in driving the car that i completely forgot to see what fuel efficiency the MID was indicating at the end of my drive. So with that said and having got my cars odometer beyond the 1300 mark after 16 months of ownership i am going to say goodbye to all of you until my next post. I am going to post a few photos of my TSI as well.

For all you enthusiasts out there who own the GT TSI i suggest that you remap the TSI to really discover what your already capable TSI is capable of .

VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201410101254.jpg

VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201410101255.jpg

VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201410101257.jpg

VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201410101259.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 11th October 2014 at 12:27.
chase_nt is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 19:53   #95
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hi chase, thanks for posting your review and sad to see the remap wasn't worth the effort and money.

Do you know if Petes has a money back guarantee that they refund you your amount if you are not happy and put the stock map back into your car?
Hi Insane Devil. My first impressions of the remap were flawed and i have posted another review of my experience after a long drive and allowing the engine to recognize the remap. I am a happy camper now and its worth the money/effort. I have no idea about Pete's refund policy as i have not inquired about it. I had the Pete's guys email me the stock map of my car just in case i have to sell my vehicle and the buyer doesn't want a remapped car. Not that a buyer will know unless we tell them but i'm the sort of person who would be very open and honest with a buyer when i sell my car.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Congrats on your first performance mod.

As the Pete's guy has mentioned DSG ECU makes use of the "fuzzy logic", so it would take some time to understand your driving habits. Hopefully you would be able to see the difference after few kms.

Pete's also is an authorized distributor for the Bilestein. Heard that Bilestein B6 is the VFM option(which transforms the car) for the Polo GT which costs Rs 60K.

Braking: you could replace the brake pads to Brembo(around 2.5K), and make changes to the brake settings to "hard"(as mentioned in the VCDS thread)

Regards,
Rohan
Thanks Rohan. Contrary to my initial impressions of the remapped vehicle i am really happy now after allowing the remap to settle in and having driven it around for a bit. I am going to wait for a while before i tinker with the suspension or the brakes/tires of the car. Over the next few months i will be getting the air filter, exhaust and forge bov.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like the remapped ECU woke up from its slumber! Perhaps the car was waiting for its owner to take her away from the congested city roads.

Shall wait for the detailed report. In the meantime, do check if someone can lend you a VCDS cable so you can set XDS to Strong which would get rid of the understeer and improves cornering.

23k looks like a super sweet deal for a remap.

Thanks Gannu. Yes the remapped ECU needed to be woken up like a sleeping beauty . I don't know anyone here with a VCDS cable but since the Petes guys will be coming over again for the rest of the mods that i have planned for the car i guess i will ask them if they can change those settings for me.
chase_nt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 09:08   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
First things first let me start off by apologizing to any one from Pete's who may have read my above comments. I admit that i was wrong and i jumped the gun before i could stretch my remapped TSI's ECU enough to feel the power of the Pete's remap. ...

I was so engrossed in driving the car that i completely forgot to see what fuel efficiency the MID was indicating at the end of my drive..

For all you enthusiasts out there who own the GT TSI i suggest that you remap the TSI to really discover what your already capable TSI is
chase_nt: Thanks for the update. After you have tamed the beast, please do post about your finding on the fuel efficiency.
shetty_rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 09:35   #97
BHPian
 
Insane Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 984
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Hi Insane Devil. My first impressions of the remap were flawed and i have posted another review of my experience after a long drive and allowing the engine to recognize the remap. I am a happy camper now and its worth the money/effort. I have no idea about Pete's refund policy as i have not inquired about it. I had the Pete's guys email me the stock map of my car just in case i have to sell my vehicle and the buyer doesn't want a remapped car. Not that a buyer will know unless we tell them but i'm the sort of person who would be very open and honest with a buyer when i sell my car.
Hi Chase,

Thanks for the update and very nice to see the remap works as its supposed to!
By the way, to reinstall your stock map, you will still need Pete's guy to come and do it. You won't be able to remap the engine by yourself, or have they given you a device to remap?
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 17:03   #98
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,867
Thanked: 9,701 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Hey chase, I hope you’re safe there in Vizag! And your ride too. Take care.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 19:09   #99
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hey chase, I hope you’re safe there in Vizag! And your ride too. Take care.
Hey Gannu, i am safe and so is my ride. We were without electricity for more than 6 days after the cyclone struck and i just got my internet today after 25 days. The cyclone was unforgiving on the cities infrastructure as well as the flora. Visakhapatnam is no longer the green city that it was as it has been denuded. I think i should create a thread about my experiences during and after the cyclone. In a nutshell the cyclone took Vizag back to the stone age for about 10 days without electricity, communications networks etc.
chase_nt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 19:29   #100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Hey Gannu, i am safe and so is my ride. We were without electricity for more than 6 days after the cyclone struck and i just got my internet today after 25 days. The cyclone was unforgiving on the cities infrastructure as well as the flora. Visakhapatnam is no longer the green city that it was as it has been denuded. I think i should create a thread about my experiences during and after the cyclone. In a nutshell the cyclone took Vizag back to the stone age for about 10 days without electricity, communications networks etc.
Hi. Glad you your family and your ride are safe. One of my close friend had gone to Vizag and had narrated the scenes and I can relate to what u mentioned.

Nice thread BTW. Read through it many a times while deciding to buy as well as while I waited for my GT to arrive.

Cheers
inomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 12:28   #101
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
After you have tamed the beast, please do post about your finding on the fuel efficiency.
I don't drive a lot Rohan and when i fuel my car its just about 700 bucks worth once every month and a half. Going by the fuel efficiency on the MID its hovering between the 7.6-7.9 mark (i cant get RON 95 fuel in my town so i have to settle for POWER by HPCL). This used to be somewhere between 8.3-8.9 prior to the remap. My driving is 100% in city (mostly a 5 km drive or a lot lesser before i get to my destination) and the car hardly ever gets to 5th gear. To top it all off i drive with a very heavy foot and indulge in quick acceleration all the time. With the negligible amount of driving i do, fuel efficiency is the last thing i look at



Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
By the way, to reinstall your stock map, you will still need Pete's guy to come and do it. You won't be able to remap the engine by yourself, or have they given you a device to remap?
The Pete's guy does not provide any device for us to remap the car ourselves. In case i want the stock map on my car i will have to pay for their transport to my city and they will reinstall the stock map on my car without any extra charges.



Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
Nice thread BTW. Read through it many a times while deciding to buy as well as while I waited for my GT to arrive.

Cheers

Thank you inomad. I'm glad that you liked my thread and that it helped you in deciding to buy the TSI.
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 13:50   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
I don't drive a lot Rohan and when i fuel my car its just about 700 bucks worth once every month and a half. Going by the fuel efficiency on the MID its hovering between the 7.6-7.9 mark (i cant get RON 95 fuel in my town so i have to settle for POWER by HPCL)...
Thanks for the update. Just yeterday, I have got my car remapped, and I have updated the details in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3573910 (Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review).

Since, I have installed the "FuelLog"(Android app for measuring the fuel efficiency which already has 10 month's of data of around 20,000kms), I should be able to check the FE too(i.e before and after the remap).
shetty_rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 16:27   #103
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Can anyone of the GT TSI owners on this forum please take a look at the fuse layout picture from my car and compare it with their cars and let me know if the fuses are exactly where they should be


The reason behind this is because i went to one of those car accessories places for something and the technicians there were meddling with the fuses when i was talking to the owner of that place. When i started my car and was about to leave the place the car wouldn't move forwards or backwards even though the gear was slotted in D OR R mode. All the car would do was rev when i put my foot down on the gas pedal. I also observed that the gear selector indicator on the MID was flashing in which ever mode it was being slotted into (it was doing this from the P mode to the Tiptronic mode). They played around with the fuses again and all was set right. I guess these el stupidos interchanged the fuse that is supposed to be in slot number 13 which is supposed to be the fuse related to the mechatronic unit of the DSG. I gave them a piece of my mind for meddling with the fuses without my consent. Everything seems to be working properly now and there are no warning lights flashing on the dashboard.

It would be an immense help if any one of the GT TSI owners cross check the fuse layout picture that i am uploading here with the fuse layout in their cars and let me know if any of the fuses is not where it is supposed to be (better yet if they can upload a picture it would be even better). I came across a post by Gannu on page 108 of the official GT TSI review thread in which he uploaded a partial photo of the fuse layout in his GT TDI as well as a PDF file with information regarding the fuse layout in a polo 6R however there is quite a bit of difference between the layout of the GT TDI as well as the information on the pdf file.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-fuse-layout.jpg  

chase_nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 19:28   #104
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-odo.jpg


It's been 2 years and 20 days since the TSI has graced my garage and it has finally reached the 2000 km mark today. Now that's what i call "eternally young" not just in terms of the odometer reading but also in terms of how i maintain it. I take utmost pride in my cars appearance and in fact you can say that i have OCD when it comes to keeping my car gleaming.


VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-front.jpg


I got the ultimate compliment a few weeks ago from a 50 something lady who was at the fuel station and asked me if i had purchased the vehicle a couple of weeks ago. When i told her its already more than 2 years old she was flabbergasted at how well i maintain the car. I clean the car every single day and i have a whole bunch of cloths for places ranging from the body, alloys, engine bay, wheel arches etc. The fact of the matter is i clean my car every day except on Sundays. Many people also ask me if i polish my car because of the way it shines however i have never polished my car till date.


VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-gt.jpg


Call me crazy but i don't take my car out when it rains (we all know how the roads are full of mud and slush when it rains here in India). I remember only one instance in the 2+ years of owning this car that i had taken it out when it was raining and that too because of a sudden downpour when i was out. I also make it a point to never take my car out to a car wash because i believe that no one can clean my car like i do.


VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-headlamp.jpg


When i bought the GT TSI back in 2013 i decided that this was the car i was looking for in India and it was going to be with me for the long haul. No more changing cars every year or so. Two years down the line i am thoroughly satisfied with the car. I didn't experience any niggles with the car except for two times that the battery went flat (once in Jan 2014 and then in Nov 2014) for some strange reason which could not be explained by even the service station guys. I think it has something to do with the fact that i have a sub and amp in my car.


VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-rear.jpg


The DSG is awesome and i have no issues with it even after the remap which was done at around 1500 km. I drive this car like a maniac 80% of the time and its going great. I am yet to get my car in for the two year service which was due on June 11th 2015 and the reason for that is because there is no VW service station in Visakhapatnam anymore.


VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-logo.jpg


I was contemplating driving 380 km to Guntur to get the car serviced at the nearest VW service station but i was told that a VW service station would be opened here in July so i decided to wait. Overall the car is just awesome and it still puts a big smile on my face every-time i punch that gas pedal.


VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-side-profile.jpg
chase_nt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:18   #105
BHPian
 
amanomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Pardon me, but I don't get it.
2000kms in 2 years and you say you enjoying the car?!?
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report psuraj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 66 20th October 2017 15:37
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi robimahanta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 318 22nd October 2016 11:04
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report prithwi-81 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 261 3rd April 2016 18:34
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold! Chethan B G Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1220 24th November 2013 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks