Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:48   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 2,150 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post

It's been 2 years and 20 days since the TSI has graced my garage and it has finally reached the 2000 km mark today.
Hey chase_nt, I am quite unsure to congratulate you on the "Mile-stone" or "Millimeter-pebble" !!

My brother owns I-gen I20 1.2 Sportz with 7.5k Km in 2yrs and I used to think he wasted a fortune on that car.

Quote:

The DSG is awesome and i have no issues with it even after the remap which was done at around 1500 km. I drive this car like a maniac 80% of the time and its going great.
Quote:

2000kms in 2 years and you say you enjoying the car?!?
Seriously man that is way too less and you have even taken the extra effort of remapping your GT ?? I have a feeling that very less running also could have contributed to the battery going kaput twice in under 2 yrs.

On a lighter note, I guess your statement should have been"

"I don't drive my car 80% of the time. IF and WHEN I drive this car, its like a maniac." !!

Seriously bro, GT (TSI & TDI) is meant to be driven. Usually the owners end up so overtly addicted that we end up munching miles like there was no tomorrow.

Drive Safe and More Often.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 2nd July 2015 at 14:57.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:12   #107
BHPian
 
amanomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Haha, all GT owners would share the same sentiment as above!

Had he not posted the cluster pic, I would have taken it as a typo seriously!
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:35   #108
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Pardon me, but I don't get it.
2000kms in 2 years and you say you enjoying the car?!?
Yes i reiterate that i am enjoying the car "whenever" i drive it. I drive my car based out of need and not because i'm looking for a joyride, one of the reason's for that is the horrible road conditions and pathetic traffic situation in our cities. I love cars and driving gives me immense pleasure however since i am in a situation where in i can confine myself to my home and not go out at all i'd rather do that than be part of the chaos on our roads. The fact of the matter is i'm the definition of a "recluse". Oh i'd also like to point out that this is the only vehicle that i own (no two wheeler or anything else).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey chase_nt, I am quite unsure to congratulate you on the "Mile-stone" or "Millimeter-pebble" !! Seriously man that is way too less and you have even taken the extra effort of remapping your GT ?? I have a feeling that very less running also could have contributed to the battery going kaput twice in under 2 yrs.

Seriously bro, GT (TSI & TDI) is meant to be driven. Usually the owners end up so overtly addicted that we end up munching miles like there was no tomorrow.

Drive Safe and More Often.
I just wanted to see the reaction of some of the members on team bhp because its very rare for someone to add such few miles on a car after more than two years. I'd like to point out that this is also the only vehicle that i own. I really didn't have to remap my car as its already pretty fast however it's something that i've always wanted to do and hence i decided to go for it. Its really strange with the battery in this vehicle because i never had this issue in my Beat and Brio that i owned and had been subjected to a similar driving style. I do make it a point to go out at least once a week. I'm a complete recluse and my driving is only need based. Terrible roads and equally terrible traffic conditions in our cities make me eliminate joyrides. I really love to drive however the infrastructure and conditions on our roads just put a spanner in the works for me.
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 11:45   #109
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 728
Thanked: 589 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Yes i reiterate that i am enjoying the car "whenever" i drive it. I drive my car based out of need and not because i'm looking for a joyride, one of the reason's for that is the horrible road conditions and pathetic traffic situation in our cities

I just wanted to see the reaction of some of the members on team bhp because its very rare for someone to add such few miles on a car after more than two years.
Chase, you're in vizag right? How, how can you resist ripping down the glorious NH 5, at least till Nellore? Beats me man...
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 18:58   #110
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Chase, you're in vizag right? How, how can you resist ripping down the glorious NH 5, at least till Nellore? Beats me man...
Yes I'm from Vizag. Highway drives can be a teeny weeny bit pleasurable. However when i get on the highway and i find slow moving vehicles such as trucks, buses and lorries etc hogging both lanes and obstructing traffic behind them, i get very agitated. The basic problem is that there is no road sense in India and as i mentioned i'd rather just drive my car based on my need rather than indulge in joyrides and curse myself about the conditions that i am in. If the conditions on the roads were akin to the western world then i would've been joyriding all day.
chase_nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 18:35   #111
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Itís been 26 months since I purchased the GT TSI and being the recluse that I am, the furthest highway action my GT had seen was a 50 kilometer drive on the NH 5 (this was the longest distance that I had driven the GT on the highway prior to yesterday). Fast forward to August 30th 2015, I and a couple of friends decided to embark on a small road trip to Chilka Lake in Orissa. Why the sudden interest in embarking on a long drive in the GT TSI? Well there were a couple of reasons. I drove other peopleís cars on road trips in the past however I had never taken any of the cars Iíve owned in India on a road trip before. I was itching to experience what it would be like to go on a long highway drive in the superfluous GT TSI (which by the way is running a Peteís remap).


Odometer Reading Prior to the trip. (My apologies for the terrible MID pictures)
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291317.jpg


GT TSI near a Dhaba.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291318.jpg


My friend Vimal.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291335.jpg


Out of the blue comes a really good reason to go on one. My pal got engaged and his marriage had been fixed for January 2016. Once he gets married, he would move from Vizag to a metro. This was the perfect alibi for me to organize a long highway drive that I billed as the ďbachelor road tripĒ. The other reason for me being eager to go on a long highway drive was that there is a strong possibility that I might sell my GT in December and purchase the Abarth Punto (this of course also depends on the way Fiat prices the Abarth Punto). There was no way that I was going to be selling my GT without even experiencing what its like on a long drive (its sacrilege if you ask me). So there you have it, ample reasons for me to add some well deserved kilometers to my 26 month old GT TSI that had only 2185 kilometers before I embarked on the trip. All said and done we left Vizag at 6AM in the morning on Aug 30th and arrived back on Aug 31st at 1AM. A total of 675 Km were added and the final count on the odometer was 2860 Km at the end of the drive. My pals drove the GT for 75 kilometers while I drove the rest of the 600 kilometers. There was no way I was gonna share more of the GT TSI with them.


Odometer reading after the trip. (Apologies for the terrible picture)
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508301415.jpg


TSI and I.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291327.jpg


The GT TSI is one hell of a highway cruiser. On my prior road trips I had driven manuals and the constant up/down shifts on the highway in order to overtake other vehicles would result in some numbness in my left leg at the end of the journey. However with the GT TSI even though I did the entire night drive back home from the lake, more than 337 kilometers in close to 4.5 hours, I did not feel fatigued. Since I donít really care about fuel efficiency I didnít bother to calculate what sort of efficiency I was getting using the full tank to empty method. Based on what I saw on the MID, the fuel efficiency dipped to 9.5 km/l when I pushed the GT really hard over some stretches which includes duels for supremacy with other cars (which the GT TSI won effortlessly) and the best fuel efficiency according to the MID was 24.5 km/l. Mind you the high fuel efficiency was achieved by one of my friends because I forbade him from going above 80 km/hr and the car was constantly in D7 for a stretch of 30-35 kilometers. I didnít want my pal to go beyond the above said speed because he drives a Hyundai Eon and I am not confident with other peoples driving abilities especially if they move so suddenly from an under powered car such as the Eon to my 125 bhp remapped TSI. I am a firm believer in the fact that you need to be able to understand a cars limits first and then push it (and this only comes after spending some time behind that particular cars wheel).


Fuel efficiency achieved by my friend. (Apologies for the terrible photo)
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291340.jpg


TSI Power.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291328.jpg


It didnít matter if the car ahead of me was a hatchback or a sedan or a SUV eventually they ended up as a speck of dust in the rear view mirror. I felt that the GT is firmly planted even at higher triple digit speeds and its only when you go over certain sections of the highway that are not properly finished or designed that you feel that the car sort of shakes or there is a hint of body roll. Though I remapped my car I unlike many others on this forum had decided against upsizing my tires. I am still running the same Apollo Acelere stock tires that came with the vehicle. There are instances when I push the GT TSI hard around sharp corners/bends on the highway or during instances of quick multiple lane changes at higher speeds (which I usually perform while accelerating rapidly in S or Tiptronic) in order to overtake pesky slow moving vehicles such as trucks or cars that keep blocking both lanes of the highway without any consideration for the vehicles behind that I felt it would be better if the car had wider tires however at the end of the day I am pretty comfortable with stock tires on my remapped car.


Near Chilka lake.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291353.jpg


I performed a solitary 0-100 sprint (while my friends timed me using a stopwatch app) on a secluded section of the highway that had no traffic, as I had not checked this after I got the car remapped back in October last year. The results were better than the 0-100 time I got when the car was stock. When I checked the 0-100 sprint time back in June 2013, the best time I got was 10.8 seconds. Now the 0-100 sprint time after the remap has dwindled to 10.3 seconds. Keep in mind that the car is heavier when I checked the 0-100 sprint yesterday when compared to when I checked it back in June 2013. Why you ask? For starters back in June 2013 there were only 2 people in the car, less than ľ tank of fuel and the stereo set up was stock. Yesterday when I checked the 0-100 sprint there were 3 adults in the car, a full tank of fuel and my modified stereo set up (sub, amp, wooden rear plank with 6/9ís). Oh I forgot to mention that the car was also not on 95 RON either. In spite of these handicaps the car shaved off half a second from the stocks 0-100 sprint timing.


Beside Chilka Lake.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291368.jpg


The power delivery after the remap I feel is more towards the mid rpm range. Iím not an expert but I am guessing it is after the 2500 rpm range. The reason I feel this way is because there is an unmistakable surge after the car reaches 80 km/hr. There are times when I am cruising at the above speed on the highway and I decided to overtake slower traffic and I prefer to shift to S rather than let the kick down do its job slowly in D mode. Once you shift to S and floor the throttle the pick up is truly explosive. Before you know it you are into some seriously high triple digit speeds which I canít mention in the open forum as I would incur the wrath of the moderators. I canít understand why VW left out paddles on this awesome machine. The paddles would be seriously fun while driving on the highway. They could have at least offered it as an option at a higher price.


The Red Rocket.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291371.jpg


I felt that the brakes on the vehicle are adequate enough even though it has been remapped. The brakes were doing a decent job decelerating the vehicle from some pretty high triple digit speeds. I am the sort of person who doesnít work the brakes too much and I anticipate the other drivers and slow down gradually even though I might be driving fast. Rear disc brakes would have been great but definitely not sorely missed. Volkswagen has finally opened a service station in Vizag in the early part of August and I got my car serviced (2 months after the cut off date) a few weeks before I went on the long drive. All they did was change the oil/filter, air filter and pollen filter and charged me Rs 8600 while praising me for the way I maintained my car where in even the brake pads hadnít worn out. The labor charges in the service were whopping Rs 2600.


After thoroughly enjoying a long trip in the fantabulous GT TSI, I am having serious second thoughts as to why I should purchase the Abarth Punto. The TSI has it all and more, right from explosive performance to immense satisfaction and ease of that superlative DSG that ensures that you can drive on for miles and miles after the sun sets without any hint of fatigue. I call it a sleeper car that ensures that you never fall asleep at the wheel due to boredom.


The final shot.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-201508291374.jpg
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:44   #112
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

I hit a milestone in my GT TSI ownership yesterday. My car finally surpassed the 4000 Km mark (Iíve owned it since June 2013). For someone who uses his cars very sparingly and treats his vehicle as though it were a diamond, its quite a big thing. Consider this, my last two cars (Beat and Brio) didnít even see the 2000 km mark in my ownership. That said I have some bitter sweet news. After months of procrastination and oscillating decisions about whether I should purchase the Abarth Punto or not I have finally decided to bite the bullet and have purchased the Abarth Punto in Vijayawada yesterday. My drive to Vijayawada was an epic solo road trip in which i clocked 780 Km (to and fro) in about 12 hours (that includes the time I spent in Vijayawada finalizing the deal for the Abarth Punto). I am yet to bring the car home and I will do that in the next couple of weeks. I feel really sad to let my GT TSI go and if I had a chance to keep my GT TSI and own the Abarth Punto at the same time I would do that in a heartbeat however that is just not feasible for me.



At a road side dhaba during my epic drive.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-gt-during-road-trip.jpg


Covered 780 Kilometers in less than 12 hours (Solo drive)
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-gt-my-way-back-vijayawada.jpg


My gleaming GT after I got it washed this morning.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-rear-view-gt.jpg



VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-gt-another-angle.jpg



Click image for larger version

Name:	GT another angle.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	698.7 KB
ID:	1483491



VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-gt-after-washing.jpg



The GT TSI is a phenomenal car and I am really lucky to have owned it. Many of you on team bhp know me as a ďlightning quick car changerĒ. Once the Abarth Punto was launched in November I literally wrestled thoughts of letting my GT TSI go not once but three times. Thatís something no car has ever been able to do to me. The GT TSI has left a deep impact on my psyche and itís the first time that I would actually shed a few tears to let a car of mine go. So it is with a heavy heart that I am going to bid sayonara to this thread of mine but the memories of the TSI+DSG combo are things that I would cherish forever. I am going to leave you guys with a couple of parting photos and I will see you in my next thread which will be about the Abarth Punto.



The final customary parting photo of my GT TSI
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-side-view-gt.jpg




This Pic says it all. My new Abarth Punto in the foreground with my awesome GT TSI in the background. Both my flames in the same photo.
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-abarth-foreground-gt-background.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report-total-odo-reading-after-trip.jpg  

chase_nt is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:21   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 2,150 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post

I hit a milestone in my GT TSI ownership yesterday. My car finally surpassed the 4000 Km mark (I’ve owned it since June 2013).
The moment I read this line chase_nt, I really thought that you have finally started clocking some kms in that GT.

And then, I read this:

Quote:

The GT TSI is a phenomenal car and I am really lucky to have owned it. Many of you on team bhp know me as a “lightning quick car changer”. So it is with a heavy heart that I am going to bid sayonara to this thread of mine but the memories of the TSI+DSG combo...
You really are either way too passionate about cars buddy that you would like to own every single one of them for a short time, or probably have been looking very hard to find that 'THE ONE' car to quench your need.

All I can say is, 'Lucky is the person who bought that GT of yours.'
Its almost unheard of to find performance/driver cars with such low numbers on the ODO.

IMO not really sure which one would be faster, you getting your new ABARTH home or selling it for another car now

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th March 2016 at 16:22.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 18:11   #114
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 144
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
You really are either way too passionate about cars buddy that you would like to own every single one of them for a short time, or probably have been looking very hard to find that 'THE ONE' car to quench your need.

All I can say is, 'Lucky is the person who bought that GT of yours.'
Its almost unheard of to find performance/driver cars with such low numbers on the ODO.

IMO not really sure which one would be faster, you getting your new ABARTH home or selling it for another car now
Thanks Vik. Its true I am extremely passionate about cars. Maybe its because I am single Now that I bought the Abarth Punto I think I should avoid all forms of print (including team bhp) or other media for a long time so that I can avoid the temptation to change cars whenever I find something new Jokes apart one of my relatives is taking my GT TSI so I'm happy that it will still be in the family.
chase_nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report psuraj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 66 20th October 2017 15:37
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi robimahanta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 318 22nd October 2016 11:04
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report prithwi-81 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 261 3rd April 2016 18:34
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold! Chethan B G Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1220 24th November 2013 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:04.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks