Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th July 2014, 12:28   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart

^^^ Hmmm, this post seems to have flown under my radar! It is over four months old now. Sorry, slackyboy, for not replying earlier.

In any case, to answer your questions, maintenance of any dark coloured vehicle is always a bit tricky. I have been lucky so far (and hopefully will remain so ) with scratches, scuff marks, etc on my car. Only one or two of them and that too in places where they are not glaringly obvious. But dust is very much visible on the car and it has to be wiped off everyday. Fortunately, I have a good helper who washes the car everyday early in the morning, so that goes a long way in keeping it clean.

Yes, it is a daily job to keep the purple colour shining through and at times I feel I should have gone with the grey or the silver, but as in your case, the ladies (wife and 12 year old daughter) decided on Purple and that was that!
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 12:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Yes, it is a daily job to keep the purple colour shining through and at times I feel I should have gone with the grey or the silver, but as in your case, the ladies (wife and 12 year old daughter) decided on Purple and that was that!
I don't know how I missed this thread. I too have taken a XUV 500 AWD from Anant Cars and Mr.Arun was very much there. Took my vehicle in March 2014. Believe me, the Dolphin Grey is also difficult to maintain especially in the current Bangalore weather. I wanted a red coloured one but thanks to Mahindra, who do not believe in giving colour options to AWD's . So, had to settle for the available colours. As in your case, wife wanted to get the purple, but finally we settled for the Dolphin Grey as my other car is a Sea Grey Figo
A350XWB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 14:09   #33
BHPian

Belated congrats, A350XWB! Do you have an initial ownership thread here? I don't remember seeing one, so I might have missed it. How is the AWD performing? Are you into off-roading or soft roading at all? What prompted the AWD choice?
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 10:27   #34
BHPian

After close to 12,000 kms and more than 14 months of absolutely trouble free usage, I had my first experience with an XUV niggle the day before (well, it finally turned out not to be a niggle, read on...). On Monday night we had been to the Pro Kabaddi match and after that around 11:00 pm, the car simply refused to start. All lights were glowing, windows functioning normally, engine cranks. And cranks. And cranks. But does not start. I tried for around 15 minutes, with several others giving all kinds of advice and then gave up.

I called up Mahindra Customer Care and the guy said it could be an issue with the battery terminal connections. He asked me to get in, switch on the ignition and start the car. I told him that's exactly what I have been trying for the last 15 minutes. He asked me to try one more time. And guess what? The engine started! He asked me to switch off and on again. I told him I don't want to risk it. He said, we don't want you to get stuck somewhere in the middle again. I felt that was sound advice and I did as he asked. No problems, off and on. Off and on. So I thanked him and started back home.

On the way, to my horror, I saw the yellow "Engine Check" warning lamp glowing, but it was too late to do anything about it and I wasn't too far from home, so I went home, parked and slept.

In the morning, when I started the car, same problem! Engine cranks but doesn't start. After a couple of tries, it started but the "Engine Check" lamp was still on. So I called up Customer Care again and told the lady who answered this time about the problem. She said that she would send a tow vehicle to take the car to the service station, since she didn’t want me to take the risk of driving there myself. I said OK. So about an hour later, this vehicle turned up at my house:

Name:  XT1.JPG
Views: 2516
Size:  171.0 KB

The driver simply drove my car up the ramp (no starting trouble this time!), clamped the wheels into place:

Name:  XT2.JPG
Views: 9456
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  XT3.JPG
Views: 4703
Size:  157.7 KB

Name:  XT4.JPG
Views: 2947
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  XT5.JPG
Views: 2548
Size:  163.4 KB

He then asked me to sign the complaint form, gave a receipt and delivered the car to Anant Cars Bannerghatta Road, which is about 20 kms from where I stay.

Later the service advisor took the details of the complaint and promised to get back to me with an update. Four hours later he called and said the problem was not in the battery or anything else, but in the fuel tank. He said there was a lot of dust accumulation and it had clogged the fuel lines. He said it could be because of adulterated diesel or driving through an extremely dusty environment regularly. I said I only use Shell fuel and I don’t drive anywhere dusty enough, apart from the regular city road traffic. He said, in that case, it could only be a bad fuel refill sometime back, maybe in some other place. In any case, there was nothing wrong with the battery or the engine itself.

The car was delivered back to me with a bill of approximately Rs.2,000/- since the fuel line cleaning is not covered by the warranty. Incidentally, they also offered a free Monsoon Car Spa and that was done too.

There was no charge for the towing at all. I am surprised and happy about this. Good work, Mahindra.

What could be the cause of the dust accumulation? Has anyone else experienced this before? I haven't had a problem like this with any of my previous cars.

Last edited by bblost : 1st September 2014 at 12:19. Reason: Extra Smiley deleted. Thanks.
Stryker is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 10:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:

What could be the cause of the dust accumulation? Has anyone else experienced this before? I haven't had a problem like this with any of my previous cars.
Have you by any chance kept your vehicle idle for a long period of time? There is a chance of dust accumulation or air bubble formation in such a case.

Good job by mahindra. Very impressed by the professionalism I must say.
etrast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 11:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Belated congrats, A350XWB! Do you have an initial ownership thread here? I don't remember seeing one, so I might have missed it. How is the AWD performing? Are you into off-roading or soft roading at all? What prompted the AWD choice?
Thanks a lot Stryker. I have not yet written an ownership report yet but will do it soon. I'm not into off-roading, but we like to travel to off beat places and took the AWD more as a proactive step. It gives me a bit more confidence. Till now, I have used it a couple of times (during my home trips to Kerala) and I'm happy with my decision. More experiments with the system will be done in the coming months
A350XWB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 14:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Have you by any chance kept your vehicle idle for a long period of time? There is a chance of dust accumulation or air bubble formation in such a case.
No, it's been running all the time. The RM was also talking about air bubble formation, but he said this was clearly a case of dust in the fuel tank. I normally fill up only at one or two stations and I have never had a problem with either of them. Maybe a refill some time back on the highway to Coimbatore was the culprit, who knows?
Old 30th August 2014, 13:29   #38
BHPian

I thought I was the one with least number of posts inspite of being one of the senior members. But you have beaten me in that!

Congratulations for nice write up and fantastic car. This car is on my radar and I will be visiting your thread regularly. Pl keep the updates coming.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I thought I was the one with least number of posts inspite of being one of the senior members. But you have beaten me in that!
Ha, ha! nice observation, rutvij! Yeah, I seem to have joined a month after you but posted far lesser. I was active initially when I bought my Baleno and then became a lurker (with a very occasional post) until I bought my XUV. I've been active since then and hope to continue to be so.
Old 30th January 2017, 12:03   #40
BHPian

Default Nu Shooz!

30,000 kms in about 3.5 years is not much driving comparatively speaking. But then, my usage pattern has been the same for the last 20 years. Those who are following the Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread thread will be aware of my decision to change the stock Apollo Hawkz tyres that my XUV came with, after experiencing multiple punctures and frequent air pressure loss. I know 30K kms is quite early to change the tyres since they are usually good for at least 40K - 45K kms. But, as I have said before, I drive fast on highways and felt that the tread wear on the Apollos were a little too much for my liking. Some people have felt that the Apollo Hawkz were the worst of the stock tyres that the XUV comes with, the others being Bridgestone Duelers or Apollo Apterras or JK Elanzo NXTs. I haven't got much to complain since these Hawkz have served me quite well for the last 30K kms and only recently did this worrying trend of small punctures and air pressure loss start.

In any case, the decision was made and the research started. Which one to buy? There are actually quite a few manufacturer/model combinations that are suitable for the XUV. From international ones like Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohama, etc to home grown ones like the usual culprits, Apollo, JK, CEAT, MRF and to unheard of ones like Aeolus (which I never found with any dealer except online). I made a list of all applicable tyres and went around getting quotes for them from various dealers. The bench mark was always the online price which is invariably the cheapest. The cheapest I found was 6,500/- for an unheard of brand/model called Aeolus CrossAce. The costliest was Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport at 18,700/-, so the range is quite wide. I am not sure how they work, does someone come home to fit the tyres or will they be delivered home and I have to get them fit myself or will I be asked to go to a particular dealer who will then fit them? Anyway, I didn't want this drama, so I decided to go with a dealer and get everything done.

Now which dealer? Most of them deal with multiple brands, there are no truly exclusive brand dealers for tyres, at least here in BLR. There is a dealer called B R Tyres in Basaveshwarnagar which is near my home. The owner there, Mr. Sridhar, was a known person so, while I did get quotes from a couple of other dealers, I preferred dealing with him. I got a quote from him too for quite a few mfg/model combinations and found that he had the best price for two:

Michelin Latitude Tour HP for 14,000/-
Pirelli Scorpion Verde for 12,500/-

I had initially decided on the Pirellis purely for their price (a saving of 6,000/- over four tyres), but finally decided to buy the Michelins since I felt that the price was the best I got from anyone, even incuding the online price. The lowest elsewhere was 15,500/- online! The deal was sweetened with an offer of free wheel alignment thrown in, instead of an exchange price for the old tyres, as he said there is no market for used tyres in this segment.

Duly took the car in for the swap on 28th January 2017, these are some photos from the event. All photos from my Google Nexus 5X, its camera is pretty good if the light is bright.

B R Tyres at Basaveshwarnagar (opposite Gangamma Thimmayya Convention Hall, for those who are familiar with the area):
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x001.jpg

I'm the first car in at 10:00 AM, alone in the cavernous fitting area:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x002.jpg

First look at the new shoes:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x003.jpg

Closer look at the sticker on the tyre. 235/65 R17, with a 104V rating (900 kg max load per tyre, max speed of 240 kmph):
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x004.jpg

Tread pattern looks good:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x005.jpg

Off come the old tyres:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x006.jpg

Looks pretty bald to me, is this normal for 30K usage?
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x007.jpg

On go the new ones, that black thingy there is the TPMS sensor:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x008.jpg

Onto the balancing machine before being mounted on the car:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x009.jpg

There are more cars in by now, a Duster is in for a total change too. I think the Verna and Beat were getting punctures fixed:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x010.jpg

New tyres being mounted on the car:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x011.jpg

As usual, one of the nuts on the rear left tyre refused to come out quietly. There is always one which misbehaves!
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x012.jpg

This one. The dealer changed all five of them for that rim.
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x013.jpg

All set and ready to roll in for wheel alignment:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x014.jpg

On the bay with the new tyres:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x015.jpg

Some screens from the alignment process:
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x016.jpg
My Opulent Purple Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD - Going with the heart-x017.jpg

At this point, I got a call that I had to answer which went on for nearly 15 minutes. By that time, the process was completed, the tyres registered with Michelin and the car was parked outside. So no more photos.

Total time taken from the moment I entered to the moment I left was around 2 hours. I must appreciate the owner Mr Sridhar for his patience in explaining everything and also the staff there. Courteous, polite and not irritated by my "What is this?" "What are you doing now?" "What does that reading mean?" questions.

The ride home, a distance of hardly 2 kms, was my very first experience on the new tyres (duh!) and it instantly felt quiet and very comfortable. I've since driven about 30 kms and still have the same feeling. They are certainly quiet and the steering feels somehow better. I am looking forward to a long drive to Kabini next weekend, after which I will update this thread with my impressions.

Until then, take care. Oh, maybe a new Kabini thread will turn up too after the visit, if I'm lucky with the spottings!
Stryker is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 16:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Nu Shooz!

Quote:
Looks pretty bald to me, is this normal for 30K usage?
Congratulations for the new tyres for your XUV! I have been watching your decision and feedback/ experience so that I can repeat the scenario. My car has done 45500 Kms already on Apollo Aptera Tyres. They are super noisy and I must tell you that my tyres are pretty much same looking as your outgoing ones. So its safe to say we at least have the pattern here. For sure your tyres would have lasted another 10K easily but those punctures and noise would have been big irritant. Looking at the remaining tread, even my car tyres would last for 50K of total running. So in a way they are good but the noise they make at triple digit speeds especially on concrete roads is getting too much now.

By the way, I happened to read your ownership thread only now with some fast reading. must say you have a very well maintained, niggle free cheetah! Wish you many more happy (s)miles with your cheetah!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 09:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Congratulations for the new tyres for your XUV!

By the way, I happened to read your ownership thread only now with some fast reading. must say you have a very well maintained, niggle free cheetah! Wish you many more happy (s)miles with your cheetah!
Thanks Avinash, for the compliments. Touch wood on the niggles!

I haven't got any detailing work done on the car so far, but I'm planning to get some exterior and interior cleaning / polishing done shortly at a 3M station near my home. There are some small scratches on the body and one large one created by some idiot who seems to have dragged a hard object across from front to back while it was parked near my office. I don't know what satisfaction they get from this. I'm not sure if that can be successfully removed, it is pretty deep.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 10:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are some small scratches on the body and one large one created by some idiot who seems to have dragged a hard object across from front to back while it was parked near my office. I don't know what satisfaction they get from this. I'm not sure if that can be successfully removed, it is pretty deep.
Owner's pride, neighbour's envy may be!

Have a look at this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3809841

Is yours so bad? I had to repaint the panels. Luckily Sai Colourium in JP Nagar are reliable and cost effective option. I got the panels repainted by them and @nirmaljustdoit helped with detailing. The car became tip-top again.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 16:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Is yours so bad?
Ouch, that is just horrible! Really painful to see such a thing. No, the scratch on my car is not as bad as this, but looks similar in terms of the wavy lines. Maybe someone just walked from front to back holding a stone or a screw driver against the body.

BTW, did you ever find out who it was?
Old 13th February 2017, 12:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking forward to a long drive to Kabini next weekend, after which I will update this thread with my impressions.
Returned yesterday from a very productive Kabini trip, so it is time for the update.

450 kms there and back over the weekend plus another 150 kms within the city over the last week means that I now have a reasonably good idea about how the new tyres are performing.

Overall impressions

As I mentioned before, these are very well behaved and quiet fellows. You will barely hear any noise from them at anything under 60 kmph. So much so that I'm now noticing small noises within the car if the music/radio is off. I'd never heard any of these noises before and I'm assuming they were there all along. Nothing major or of any concern, just normal squeaks and such. It would be an astounding coincidence if they started just after I changed the tyres.

The tyres feel a little soft while driving. I'm not sure if this is because of the tyre pressure. I was keeping all four at 34 psi with the Apollos, but the dealer recommended that for these tyres 32 psi is best unless there is heavy load. Of course, even Mahindra recommends 32 psi for the front and 30 psi for the back in the sticker pasted in the car but I had found that the pressure reduced quite quickly with the Apollos. I have kept it at an even 32 psi all round. I've not noticed any pressure drop even after more than 7 days of normal city driving. I got it checked it again at the fuel station before the weekend trip and it was still showing 32 all round.

Incidentally, the Blue Sense app always shows a different value for tyre pressure. In fact, it shows varying values for individual tyres. But the fuel station meter shows the same value for all of them. What's up with that? Is it my car or is it the same for everyone?

City driving

I feel manoeuvrability has improved substantially. Maybe because of the pressure factor but there seems to be that much less effort in getting the car to turn, especially when doing full U turns. This may be because of the new tyres or the quality of the tyres. I don't exactly remember how it was when the Apollos were new, but it has certainly improved now.

The sound of the vehicle going over small potholes is totally different. There used to be a thump-thump earlier, now it is a more decent blub-blub if you know what I mean. Of course, this is at city driving speeds of say 30-40 kmph. Again, not a major difference but a noticeable one nevertheless.

I asked both my wife and daughter if they felt any changes in the vehicle after the tyre change. They are not great observers of these things and they didn't accompany me for the Kabini trip, but my wife said it felt slightly smoother, with emphasis on the "slightly". That too grudgingly because I insisted on an answer. I'm using that as justification for spending so much!

Highway driving

This is where I felt a BIG difference. And I mean BIG. The Apollos, while they have served me well for 30,000 kms, were at best mediocre highway performers. They would start to make their presence known via the steering wheel quite quickly and the noise at high speeds (> 100 kmph) was quite high. A constant whooosh. With the new Michelins, this noise is just not there. I'm not saying these are so quiet that you don't notice the noise at all, but they are certainly, definitely, without any shred of doubt, quieter than the Apollos.

With the Apollos, there always used to be a slight shiver in the steering wheel in the narrow band of 120-125 kmph, even from the very beginning. With the Michelins, this shiver is gone! Just not there. At this or any other speed. I did take them up to the sweet ting-ting sound, but nada. No shiver.

I happened to do just a little bit of off-roading when we had to take a small excursion out to the boonies. Nothing to write home about, but we were rolling over gravel, mud and some slight inclines for about a kilometre or so. No complaints or loss of traction or unexpected twists from the tyres. I was going slowly (around 25 kmph) as I was not too sure, but I felt it would have been the same even at 35-40 kmph. These are not A/T tyres, so I would say this is probably the limit of what they can do off road (or at least what I can do), unless someone else tests them on more serious terrain.

On a side note to off-roading, the safari vehicles at JLR Kabini (and most other places I've been to) have tyres that are in no way heavily grooved or full A/Ts. In some cases, they are nearly bald. But they perform quite well inside the forest and on some treacherous terrain, especially when it is raining and the track grooves are filled with water. If any of you have ever been to Zone 8 in Ranthambore, you will know what I mean. How do they manage it? Yes, the drivers are very very good and the vehicles are all modified Maruti Gypsies or Mahindra Boleros, but the tyres should play a major role, right? How do they manage? Is it purely skill and making do with what they get on a government budget? Heck, even the large Canters do a great job of it.

Quote:
Oh, maybe a new Kabini thread will turn up too after the visit, if I'm lucky with the spottings!
Lucky? Lucky??!! Man, was this a blockbuster weekend or what! We did 4 safaris and we had 5 (yes, five) tiger sightings and 3 (yes, three) leopard sightings. I've never experienced anything like this in all my visits to Kabini! I'm yet to process the photos (well over 500 of them!) and will certainly post a new thread once they are ready.
Stryker is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote