Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th July 2013, 12:42   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White

Congrats on your new buy. Wishing you to cover multiple lash's KM with this small beauty
anumod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:53   #92
BHPian

Congratulations on the beast ,may you have plenty of long drives and happy and safe driving.
majumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 13:17   #93

Hi SaiSrujan, now that you have been using your car for almost 8 weeks, what about a follow up on your review? Any update on FE, and other overall experience?

I am likely to get my Moon Dust Silver Ecoboost within a week, so eager to know what to expect.
Svetblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 23:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svetblr View Post
Hi SaiSrujan, now that you have been using your car for almost 8 weeks, what about a follow up on your review? Any update on FE, and other overall experience?
I was just about to write an update, but have been busy, but your inquiry motivated me to write this short update.

The experience has been great so far. Driven close to 3500 km so far. City mileage averages around 9-11, and highways around 13-15.

Went on a long vacation with family. Drove 2100km in 8 days, all by myself - a journey that offered a good combination of smooth highways to city traffic to twisties to mud roads. Wanted to write a travelogue with pictures and all, but have a very busy month ahead at work, so I might have to give it a pass. But here are the highlights of the long drive.
  1. Hyderabad to Bangalore road is a treat to drive on the Ecosport. I needed to keep an eye on the speedometer needle, which tends to go to unsafe speeds quite quickly if your mind drifts away into enjoying the road.
  2. Very good stability changing lanes at highway speeds or while cornering. Well-controlled body-roll.
  3. The music system is lovely. Great quality of speakers, and the USB doles out just the music you want by speaking to it. Moreover, the superior noise insulation makes it feel like a home-theater (there were days when I got into my car just to listen to a song!)
  4. The boot is quite spacious. It comfortably packed in luggage for 4 people meant for 8 full days, with room to spare. Maybe we pack light, but you should see the potential.
  5. With 4 people and luggage, the car pulled quite comfortably through ghat sections around Madikeri and Gudalur / Devala areas. Never felt like a 1 liter engine.
  6. I had to contend with a few kilometers of extremely bad roads (so bad I noticed 2 MUVs and one bus with a flat tire). The car tolerated unfinished roads and loose surfaces quite well, but struggled under heavy potholed roads / mud-roads. When going through potholes, the car sways heavily from side-to-side, and tosses passengers around, forcing me to slow down to a crawl - A Renault Duster sailed ahead of me and disappeared leaving my car in a cloud of dust. All I could do was grin and bear it. On the brighter side, sedans with low ground clearance wouldn't have negotiated such a road without risking a couple of hits to the under-body.
  7. The tires (Bridgestone assurance) have a good grip and gave ample confidence on wet roads. Had one incidence of panic breaking (unmarked speed bump), where the tires felt out of control.
  8. The combination of stiff suspension and turbo lag is a big pain in the knee, literally. Have to slow down considerably and downshift to the second (and to the first if the road is sloping up) on every speed-bump and then go back to the 5th gear slowly. Bangalore-Mysore road probably has 100 speed-bumps and that means I'm depressing the clutch about 400 times in that journey. My left knee was complaining after that trip. Gear lever was quite comfortable to use, though.
  9. The climate-control is great. Set it at a temperature (22C works well) and forget it. Never felt too hot, too cold, too stuffy or too dry. On my old i10 with manual AC, I always used to feel either too hot or too cold at any given point of time.
  10. The driver seat was not the most comfortable on long journeys. My back used to hurt even after adjusting for lumbar support. But it could be because I need an unusual seat setting to best suit my 5'1" height.
Of course, got my first service done. All they did was check fluid levels, tighten a few nuts, washed the car and gave it back to me.

No rattles or squeaks to report so far (except for the seat rubbing against the gear console, which I complained about in the previous page). Some minor scratches and dents (which are a given in Hyderabad).

Quote:
I am likely to get my Moon Dust Silver Ecoboost within a week, so eager to know what to expect.
Welcome to the ecoboost family. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the car. I'm sure you'll enjoy the car too. Don't let the turbo-lag bother you and I'm sure you'll love your new car to bits. All the best for your delivery. Will look forward to hear more from you.
saisrujan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:14   #95
BHPian

saisrujan,
Great to hear that the Ecosport is holding up well.
Considering that you have driven your new car extensively on the highways, could you comment on the high speed cruising ability of the vehicle? What is the maximum speed you could reach?

Also, if you can't post a whole travelogue, some pictures of the car taken during the trip would be nice
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:30   #96

saisrujan, thank you - for the update and your wishes. Your feedback gives me a lot of confidence - just what I was hoping for (except for the FE, of course). I am not too bothered about the turbo lag. And as DeKay said, if not a detailed travelogue, please post some pictures for the thirsty souls
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:05   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
I was just about to write an update, but have been busy, but your inquiry motivated me to write this short update.

Saisrujan,

Thanks a lot! Helps us guys understand the niceties before we get our hands on the machine. I'm expecting to lay my hands on the ES in a few days and I had a test drive two days back. I have a few queries with respect to vehicle.

1. After the driving the ES Diesel and ES Petrol, I felt the Petrol was a bit muted in the Power aspect in the First and Second Gears. Because there are no reviews yet of the 1.5L Petrol ES, I thought you are best to answer this. Is there a possibility where the dealer might have tweaked the throttle a bit to reduce the power and increase FE? Is this the reason why I experienced lower than expected power output in the first and second gears? So much so that speed breakers and U-Turns made me downshift to the First Gear where, on the other hand, on my dad's WagonR, I could effortlessly pull through in the Second Gear. I'm not comparing a WagonR with the ES and I know I'll get used to power ratios, but my doubt is, is it possible to tweak with the throttle to reduce/ increase the power vis -a - vis the FE?
firsttimeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
saisrujan,
Considering that you have driven your new car extensively on the highways, could you comment on the high speed cruising ability of the vehicle? What is the maximum speed you could reach?
The car handles highway speeds very comfortably and never felt out of breath. I'm not interested in knowing how fast the car can go.

Quote:
saisrujan, thank you - for the update and your wishes. Your feedback gives me a lot of confidence - just what I was hoping for (except for the FE, of course). I am not too bothered about the turbo lag. And as DeKay said, if not a detailed travelogue, please post some pictures for the thirsty souls
I will do my best to quench your thirst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
After the driving the ES Diesel and ES Petrol, I felt the Petrol was a bit muted in the Power aspect in the First and Second Gears. Because there are no reviews yet of the 1.5L Petrol ES, I thought you are best to answer this. Is there a possibility where the dealer might have tweaked the throttle a bit to reduce the power and increase FE? Is this the reason why I experienced lower than expected power output in the first and second gears? So much so that speed breakers and U-Turns made me downshift to the First Gear where, on the other hand, on my dad's WagonR, I could effortlessly pull through in the Second Gear. I'm not comparing a WagonR with the ES and I know I'll get used to power ratios, but my doubt is, is it possible to tweak with the throttle to reduce/ increase the power vis -a - vis the FE?
First of all, I don't own the 1.5L Petrol. I own the Ecoboost model. So, I have no idea how the 1.5L Petrol behaves. Dealers don't tweak throttles to increase FE - that might have been possible in carburetor days, but I don't think that can be done in fuel-injection systems. I don't know how to explain the lack of power in the lower gears, if you were indeed driving the 1.5L petrol, but I can tell you that you cannot tweak the engine response without going in for some after-market accessory like an ECU remapping kit, which can quickly void your warranty unless you know what you're doing. Maybe this was the first time you drove a bigger car. Try another test-drive and you might feel better.

Last edited by saisrujan : 2nd September 2013 at 16:28. Reason: Answered the additional question I received in the mean time.
saisrujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:41   #99
BHPian

Quote:
saisrujan,
Great to hear that the Ecosport is holding up well.

Also, if you can't post a whole travelogue, some pictures of the car taken during the trip would be nice
Hi saisrujan,

I too have the same request. Could you please post some nice pics of your beast? Thanks!
Jude300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:13   #100
BHPian

Congrats on your ES Ecoboost and thanks a lot for the updates. I have booked a Diamond white ecoboost and excpecting to take the delivery by mid of October. Only thing that worry me is the FE you have mentioned. I was expecting it to return 12 in the city and 15-16 on the highways. I just sold off my 8 months Ols Scorpio VLX and booked ES. I'm not trying to compare the FE of a deisel vs Petrol, but the Scorpio with 2.2 ltr engine was giving me 10.5-11 in the city (always AC on) and 13-15 on the highways.
BMW-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:49   #101
BHPian

Many congrats on your Ecoboost, it's a lovely vehicle. Planning to book one of my own in the next few months if all goes according to plan.
Parth46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:20   #102
BHPian

Quote:
saisrujan,
Quote:
And as DeKay said, if not a detailed travelogue, please post some pictures for the thirsty souls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
I too have the same request. Could you please post some nice pics of your beast? Thanks!
Here they are. Note that these are taken after taking the car through long drives on rough roads during monsoon, so the car is in its elements, not dressed for dinner.

Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White-p81800241.jpg
Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White-p81900911.jpg
Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White-p82001071.jpg
Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White-p82001391.jpg
Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White-p82101521.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Congrats on your ES Ecoboost and thanks a lot for the updates. I have booked a Diamond white ecoboost and excpecting to take the delivery by mid of October. Only thing that worry me is the FE you have mentioned. I was expecting it to return 12 in the city and 15-16 on the highways. I just sold off my 8 months Ols Scorpio VLX and booked ES. I'm not trying to compare the FE of a deisel vs Petrol, but the Scorpio with 2.2 ltr engine was giving me 10.5-11 in the city (always AC on) and 13-15 on the highways.
Not sure how to compare Scorpio's engine with that of the Ecoboost. Petrols always give 4-5 kmpl less mileage than equivalent diesels, so driving distances should be a consideration. During my first service, the SA indicated that the FE should improve over time. But I don't think I should expect a dramatic increase. If you're disappointed with the mileage of the ecoboost, maybe you should switch to the diesel. Also, with additional hikes in petrol prices expected in the future, the diesel looks a lot more compelling, if you're OK to live with slightly less oomph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Many congrats on your Ecoboost, it's a lovely vehicle. Planning to book one of my own in the next few months if all goes according to plan.
All the best.

Last edited by saisrujan : 2nd September 2013 at 20:31. Reason: Answered additional questions.
saisrujan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:45   #103
BHPian

Hi saisrujan, as I have mentioned I was not trying to comapre Scorpio engine with the Ecoboost. Scorpio's ARAI certified FE figures are less than 14 kmt/ltr where as the ecoboost figures are an impressive 18.9 thats more than the honda brio/amaze.So it should give at least 12-13 in the city and 15-16 on the highways. I dont want another deisel, been driving deisels since 2010 so decided to go with a petrol this time.
BMW-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:27   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Here they are. Note that these are taken after taking the car through long drives on rough roads during monsoon, so the car is in its elements, not dressed for dinner.
Good pics and good locale!

She looks more Chill Metallic after the workout than Diamond white
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:31   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Hi saisrujan, as I have mentioned I was not trying to comapre Scorpio engine with the Ecoboost. Scorpio's ARAI certified FE figures are less than 14 kmt/ltr where as the ecoboost figures are an impressive 18.9 thats more than the honda brio/amaze.So it should give at least 12-13 in the city and 15-16 on the highways. I dont want another deisel, been driving deisels since 2010 so decided to go with a petrol this time.
12-13 in the city and 15-16 on the highways was indeed my expectation before I took delivery of the car, and I was initially concerned when I got lower mileage fitures. Then I compared my mileage with other cars with equivalent weight and engines offering equivalent power and torque, and found the mileage I've been getting sort of reasonable (read through my ownership report for the discussion). Of course, I'd have loved it to be better.

I've read some articles on how ARAI tests their cars. My general understanding is that ARAI aims to accelerate all test cars at the same rate, so keeps a low enough acceleration requirements that sluggish 60bhp engines hooked to a heavy body can also achieve. Under such driving conditions, I'm not even sure if the ecoboost's turbo is engaged, and if it isn't, the car's effectively running on a 1000cc engine, and that should explain the unbelievable 18.9 kmpl ARAI rating. Of course, i'm just guessing here.

Quote:
Good pics and good locale!

She looks more Chill Metallic after the workout than Diamond white
That's exactly what I thought. The mud splattered on the car gave the white car a brown tinge, making it look uncannily similar to what a chill metallic ecosport would look like! Check this pic out, you'll see the mud splatters much better. So, after a workout, my car sports a diamond white front and a chill metallic back!

Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White-p81900921.jpg
saisrujan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote