Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th March 2014, 10:23   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
puchoo,

So sorry to see this! The Linea is a strong car; any other in the same price bracket would have sustained more damage. I hope the car is restored to new condition to your full satisfaction. Best Wishes!
Thank you! The work has started on the car and hopefully this episode will be behind me by the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Very unfortunate event indeed!

Which car banged your Linea? And what is the condition of that car? The damage in your car does not look to be that much considering the speed of the other car you mentioned. Must be due to Linea's strong built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
From the reflection in puchoo's image, seems either Hyundai i20 or Honda Civic.
It was a Hyundai i10. Given the speed the damage is not too bad , more still was the fact that i barely got pushed forward during the impact as well so the car did well to negate the effect of me. The other reason for the damage being to the tune it is nevertheless was that at the end of the day some of the softest parts of the linea got hit by the engine block more or less of the i10 - so it was plastic going against steel but even despite that the i10 did have a leaking radiator indicating it was broken.
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 20:26   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quick update , the car is on track to be delivered this weekend so far. Thanks god! It was discovered that the unit on which the rear bumper rests has got quite badly smashed up as well so that entire panel is going to get re-placed. Part has been ordered and should be in tomorrow thus no delay in the overall timeline per say.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:04   #258
Senior - BHPian

I dropped in to check out the car day before as a last minute plan owing to being that side of town , was lucky enough to arrive a little after the car had been prepared for painting and some coats had gone on . Was impressed with the facilities they had as well as the focus with which the paint guys were working

Dedicated booth for paint work

Car has been covered nicely to avoid any over-spill to other parts of the car. Eventually the entire boot panel had to be replaced as well as the other was not possible to repair , rather could have been repaired but would not have been as it was

Paint going onto the bumper , brand new as the older one was completely gone

Touch up of the scratches which i had got on the side. In the picture above you can make out where the sanding was done ( white strip visible) , whereas here its not getting covered with paint

The products and brand that Fiat is using

This is after a couple of coats had gone on , notice the bumper is now the correct color although not shining because the clear coat has not gone on yet

Boot starting to take a shine , this is just before the clear coat went on

Result after one round of the clear coat mixture , i left after this because i needed to get back and they too had stepped out for a break.

Also have a couple of videos which i will put up later in the day and finally just to add that the car was looking absolutely gorgeous in the "matt" finish that one could see it in before the clear coat went on. Maybe something to keep in mind!
puchoo is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:27   #259
BHPian

Amazing! So much work to just repair the backend of the car. I also seriously love Fiat's dedicated painting booth. How much area of the car did you paint? I could not understand it from the post : because the boot has been painted and so has the side. Can you please mention the price of all this work?

BTW you could have repaired the boot and it would've probably cost you 8k, but bumper was as dead as a dodo (Thermosetting plastic).
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 18:21   #260
Senior - BHPian

The total bill was about 27,000 including labor.

The entire (new) bumper and the new panel got painted. I also had some scratches on the rear right door and the rear right fender which is what they are doing in that picture.

Yes except the price of the new boot panel is only 4500 INR approx and even if one adds the same amount for labor it works out to 9,000 for a brand new one vs 8000 for a repaired one. The 1000 is not big enough of a difference to choose repairs over replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Amazing! So much work to just repair the backend of the car. I also seriously love Fiat's dedicated painting booth. How much area of the car did you paint? I could not understand it from the post : because the boot has been painted and so has the side. Can you please mention the price of all this work?

BTW you could have repaired the boot and it would've probably cost you 8k, but bumper was as dead as a dodo (Thermosetting plastic).
Old 22nd March 2014, 21:44   #261
Senior - BHPian

Noida phase-2 paint booth?

Please ensure
-proper final wet sanding and rubbing is done
-they use glasurit paint I think, check the same
-Leave the paint to dry before getting the wet sanding. Ensure that proper process is adhered to.

Why,
because my bonnet was painted a month back and recently I had noticed the finishing touch was lacking. Roughness on the surface and somewhat improper reflections. Okhla's star painter from kashyap Mr. Baljit corrected the bonnet and is back to what I want now.

Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-1083970_759823084051979_413617330_o.jpg
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:28   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Noida phase-2 paint booth?

Please ensure
-proper final wet sanding and rubbing is done
-they use glasurit paint I think, check the same
-Leave the paint to dry before getting the wet sanding. Ensure that proper process is adhered to.

Attachment 1222702
Yes the phase 2 booth , the car had been sent there for all the work from Day 1. Appears from whatever little i saw and have seen of the final work that they have done an ok job , will keep an eye out for any imperfections
Old 28th March 2014, 21:22   #263
Senior - BHPian

Finally managed to upload the videos i had mentioned. The first two are when they were applying paint on it , i dont know what layer this was and what stage they were in exactly when i walked in , the last video is the clear coat being put on , as i had mentioned post this they were "baking" it so to speak and had stepped out and i left as well but nevertheless videos below for reference.

All taken on a mobile phone so apologies for the quality.

Have done an inspection many times over to see if the paint job has any imperfections but not really noticed anything, so all in all a good job done.

Last edited by puchoo : 28th March 2014 at 21:24.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 19:20   #264
Senior - BHPian

The car has been with me for more or less a week now post all the repairs and i think sufficient time to put in an update. All is good news , there are no problems with the car whatsoever.

The paint job seems fine , no rattles or squeaks originating from any of the items which were replaced ,a ll light working fine. If at all anything , a few days after i got the car this clump of wires fell down on a turn , they probably have a clasp or a dedicated area to keep them out of the way but no major problem , checked to see that nothing had too much tension on it or anything was loose and shoved them behind the dash wherin there appears to be a little shelf type of area , which is where they probably go anyway , they have not fallen since.

Some extra work has clearly been done on the car as well , the clutch is now much softer and the gearshift is slick , its almost "buttery" - now i am no mechanic but i do not see a connection between bodywork and these two things improving in usability.

While waiting for the paperwork to be sorted out i also managed to ge the car into the alignment bay and get a check and the necessary corrections carried out , alignment was off by a bit.

All in all a good experience , the only pending point now is still the acceleration of the car which i have told them that i will drive for a while and then see. On their part they have done all the checks and everything is fine. For me the car feels better as well quite honestly in this regard , but i will leave final judgement out and drive for a bit more before anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-picture1.jpg  

Old 31st March 2014, 13:45   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
The car has been with me for more or less a week now post all the repairs and i think sufficient time to put in an update. All is good news , there are no problems with the car whatsoever.
Congratulations that the Italian beauty has been brought back to its original form.

Quote:
Some extra work has clearly been done on the car as well , the clutch is now much softer and the gearshift is slick , its almost "buttery" - now i am no mechanic but i do not see a connection between bodywork and these two things improving in usability.
It is good that the clutch has become softer and the gearshift has become buttery but the workshop has done nothing if it is not mentioned in the bill.

Quote:
All in all a good experience , the only pending point now is still the acceleration of the car which i have told them that i will drive for a while and then see.
What exactly is the problem with the acceleration? Is there any loss of acceleration compared to the new car.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 13:52   #266
Senior - BHPian

I have this feeling that the car is not accelerating as quickly as it should , the first time around i was right , there was a loose turbo pipe. Now i know the turbo is kicking in but it just feels a bit slow.

Firstly the trademark "push" at 1700-1800 RPM is very subdued , secondly i feel that the engine RPM's might not be climbing as quickly as they should but i am wondering if this is more in my head or in actual. Will need to drive another Jet to be sure.

The folks at the workshop have run the scanners , checked physical connections and all is good. I will look at the air filter once but that too should be fine because i bought a new one during the first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
What exactly is the problem with the acceleration? Is there any loss of acceleration compared to the new car.
Old 1st April 2014, 19:41   #267
BHPian

I have the same exact problem!

After they checked my T-Jet for poor mileage and intermittent engine noise, they assured me everything is fine. Now I feel the acceleration and power is poorer, and the engine not as smooth as it was before. They claimed to have cleaned the air filter, and cleaned the spark plugs. My heart tells me something is not right, my brain wonders if I'm imagining it. :(
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 20:54   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Firstly the trademark "push" at 1700-1800 RPM is very subdued , secondly i feel that the engine RPM's might not be climbing as quickly as they should but i am wondering if this is more in my head or in actual. Will need to drive another Jet to be sure...
You might want to get another T-Jet owner to try your car. A lot of times, our brains play games.

Second - did you ever have any oil change done? I had a similar problem in my Swift Diesel with excess engine oil getting to the intercooler and hampering performance. If Linea T-Jet also has a similar set up, it might be worth checking the intercooler for oil traces.

Just a wild guess - in case it helps!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st April 2014 at 20:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 20:56   #269
Senior - BHPian

I got the engine oil changed during the first service , i did not need to , but i got it changed nevertheless.... i have a few times gone back to that in my head in terms of something getting screwed up thanks to the change but i could not figure out why that would have any influence on the performance short of being sub standard oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You might want to get another T-Jet owner to try your car. A lot of times, our brains play games.

Second - did you ever have any oil change done? I had a similar problem i my Swift Diesel with excess engine oil getting to the intercooler and hampering performance. If Linea T-Jet also has a similar set up, it might be worth checking the intercooler for oil traces.

Just a wild guess - in case it helps!

Last edited by puchoo : 1st April 2014 at 20:58.
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:45   #270
BHPian

@TheTeacher:
I've experienced a similar drop too, I think. Or maybe it's just psychological.
Two observations in my case: the air-filter cleaning is due and the weather is pretty bad these days so the kind of cool air that our cars breathed a few months ago is no more.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote