Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th June 2015, 13:28   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013

Quick update on the car and another 800 Km drive that one undertook to Himachal and back.

Car performed flawlessly, the pipe is intact and there are no further problems on that front. Since the car had just been serviced the drive was pure pleasure with the engine feeling and behaving like butter. First's gears were easily being taken upto 40 and 3rds reaching 90 without any fuss.

The road conditions have improved substantially as well since my last drive up, barring construction at a few places most of it has now been completed owing to substantial time savings. The "goat" nature of the T-Jet continued on the hills as it always has been and was as eager being thrown into corners as ever , although i do feel that there might have been a little loss on tyre grip this time around , they have done about 20,000 KM's and with the amount of hill driving which has been done , and on very bad roads at that, maybe i will need to change the tyres earlier than what i had originally predicted - my initial projection was 28-30k kilometers but i think this might end up happening now around the 25k mark.

The AC performed flawlessly and efficiently as ever till we used it , it was a drive of extremes because by the time we got to within 10 kilometers of the house we had the heating on - so we went from AC to no AC to heating in a span of about 70 odd km's - the lingering effects of winter were far longer this time and hence the need for a jacket and sweater even in the month of June!!

One of the clamps holding the left hand side headlight unit has broken off which will need to be replaced at some point , the options are to replace the entire unit or take it out soften it with a welding torch , join it and then put it back but not very high on priority since the car is now being driven around in Delhi again and i will take a decision on it prior to the next trip i make , chances are i will replace the entire unit itself. This clamp break i attribute to the little front end hit i had sometime ago as a result of which the grill and one fog light + grill needed to be replaced. The crack must have happened at that point and consequently would have turned into a stress fracture and then finally broken.

The Jet is now almost 2 years old and going strong, a paint treatment day is high on the cards and i should hopefully have the time to get that done sometime this month.

A few pictures from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-tjet1.png  

Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-tjet2.png  

Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-picture1.png  

Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-2.png  

Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-3.png  

puchoo is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 21:08   #317
Senior - BHPian

Tizzie has undergone a major lifestyle change as of a few weeks ago. After spending years going to an office which meant a total distance of only 18 Kms , a new job has taken me to Gurgaon and this daily drive has gone upto 45kms.

Yes Gurgaon has finally caught up with me and i am now an active contributor to trending topics such as #delhirains and #delhiflooded on twitter rather than being the passive consumer laughing away merrily.. My first week on the new job was when the rains started here so my welcome into my new office was done by Grid locks rather than my HR.

On a serious note, the first full week of driving her normally to Gurgaon resulted in a weekly FE of 9.8 , not too bad given that the average time to get there and come back was 1.15 hours on all days - for 22 Km's either way.Starting this week i am curious to know what she yield with a much lighter foot and as of today have initiated that experiment which one will update on at the end of the week.

On a side note she has taken whatever the drive has thrown at her so far including flooded streets with an air of dismissal and has continues to do exceptionally well being now north of 2 years.
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 18:47   #318
Senior - BHPian

So the experiment finished yesterday , all in all 10 trips to Gurgaon each of which took over an hour and a total distance of 240 Kilometers covered in the said week.

Final FE 11.9 KMPL at the end of the week, up by 2 KMPL from the previous week. I suspect this would have actually been at 12.3 or so but thanks to an exceptionally bad drive back on Friday evening it has dropped. AC on all the time, and 5 Kms driven on a flat tyre as well.

What do i mean by a light foot ? No unnecessary aggressive acceleration , shifts at 1600-1700 RPM or so and cruising at 50-55 in 5th and 40-45 in 4th wherever possible , the former also happens to be the speed limit so one ends up obeying that as well.

Ofcourse it is nowhere as large as some the numbers one hears when it comes to economy these days but i suppose its a small feather in the cap of the car nevertheless especially for those who understand and know what the Delhi gurgaon drive is like in peak hours. Add 20% to this during the winters when the AC is off and we are looking at around 14 KMPL or so.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 23:22   #319
Senior - BHPian

So one of my Goodyear's decided to explode randomly, fortunately was only driving at 55 odd KMPH when this happened and managed to control the car reasonably well although the left side did end up hitting a guard railing and the bumper coming off the hinges thanks to the impact of the rubber.

Currently running on the space saver but will be buying a brand new set over the weekend hopefully, could have lasted another 5000 odd more Km's but with this one erupting and my daily drive quite substantial now, not taking any chances.
Attached Thumbnails
Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013-20150806103214.jpg  

puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 23:30   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
So one of my Goodyear's decided to explode randomly, fortunately was only driving at 55 odd KMPH when this happened and managed to control the car reasonably well although the left side did end up hitting a guard railing and the bumper coming off the hinges thanks to the impact of the rubber.
OUCH!! that looks really bad. I can just imagine how bad the impact would have been to remove the bumper off the hinges. were you able to lock the bumper back in place? Which brand tires are you planning to go for?
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 23:32   #321
Senior - BHPian

Yes i was , a 5 minute job , new nuts and bolts and the bumper was back to being normal minus the new scratches. Still deciding on the new tyres - read a lot of T-Jets getting onto Michelin's here so that a leading option but researching.

Also bought a new rim just in case the old one has got deformed , if it has not then i finally get to have an alloy as the 5th !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
OUCH!! that looks really bad. I can just imagine how bad the impact would have been to remove the bumper off the hinges. were you able to lock the bumper back in place? Which brand tires are you planning to go for?
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 23:41   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Yes i was , a 5 minute job , new nuts and bolts and the bumper was back to being normal minus the new scratches. Still deciding on the new tyres - read a lot of T-Jets getting onto Michelin's here so that a leading option but researching.

Also bought a new rim just in case the old one has got deformed , if it has not then i finally get to have an alloy as the 5th !

Good to know the bumper was back to normal.

Do check out Continentals, ContiPremium Contact 2 are pretty good although it is an older design/model. Having a good experience with these for the past 33k kms albeit in an innova.
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:18   #323
BHPian

Quote:

Currently running on the space saver but will be buying a brand new set over the weekend hopefully, could have lasted another 5000 odd more Km's but with this one erupting and my daily drive quite substantial now, not taking any chances.
Puchoo, bit worried after seeing the picture of burst Goodyear. Another member, KartikK, has posted belt failure issue on his car at 6K. Link (My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed)

If this is a known problems, perhaps one should warn others about it. How does one check for pre-mature belt failure?
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:27   #324
BHPian

That looks bad, glad you were able to stop the car safely!

Quote:
I bought a new alloy at the time of buying the car itself since I didn't want a wimpy spare. The problem is that the rod-screw provided to secure the spare is designed for the mini wheel. When you replace that with a 16" alloy, the rod-screw doesn't reach the hole below the spare. I've been trying for 2+ years to buy the correct rod-screw from the dealer here. Before 2013, T-Jet Emotions came with a 16" alloy spare, so they had the right screw to secure that. The weird thing is that Fiat can't seem to find it in their spare parts system to let me buy one to secure the spare.

The result is that in the city, when I go over a bump the spare gets tossed in the air and bangs down. This is not an issue on long drives since I have luggage sitting on top of the spare.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:48   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

The result is that in the city, when I go over a bump the spare gets tossed in the air and bangs down. This is not an issue on long drives since I have luggage sitting on top of the spare.
Maybe you can try using zip ties in the intermittent period as an ad hoc measure.
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 21:30   #326
Senior - BHPian

Two ways to do this

1. FASS You need to get the parts guy to look for this part in the list for 2009-2011 Tjets. There are certain parts like the one here and some other bits and pieces which are not common with the Emotion packs and other variants or with the current generation of TJets. There is a separate list for these parts. The store keeper at KF is aware of this and therefore safe to assume that the right guy in Poona dealership would be too.

2.Local Machine tool shop. Carry your existing rod screw, it will be required to find the right dia. bar stock to be bought as also for finding out the type of thread tapered/straight & for measuring the thread pitch etc. Buy a steel rod of the requisite diameter and the machine shop guy will cut it to the required length and tap it to match the threads on the shorter OE rod. Get a butterfly nut welded on top and you will be good to go. Aluminium would do too but it is difficult to find Aluminium bar stock, MS is commonly available.

Quote:
I've been trying for 2+ years to buy the correct rod-screw from the dealer here. Before 2013, T-Jet Emotions came with a 16" alloy spare, so they had the right screw to secure that. The weird thing is that Fiat can't seem to find it in their spare parts system to let me buy one to secure the spare.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 22:00   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Two ways to do this
Thanks.

#1 has been tried for two years, they can't even find the part # in their parts system.

#2 Have been thinking about this, haven't found a machine shop nearby that can do this + haven't had the time / patience.
Old 7th August 2015, 23:16   #328
Senior - BHPian

Mine is a 2013 model, no issues with the belt and have not heard much about it so i do not think it is that common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Puchoo, bit worried after seeing the picture of burst Goodyear.
Quote:
That looks bad, glad you were able to stop the car safely!
Thanks , could have been much worse i know. Good to know about the screw rod, shall keep in mind and try and figure a solution to it.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 23:38   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Two ways to do this
Third possibility: get a U-shaped clamp which reduces the distance between the screw and the receptacle. Of course will have to see it physically to decide.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 18:58   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Third possibility: get a U-shaped clamp which reduces the distance between the screw and the receptacle. Of course will have to see it physically to decide.
I don't understand. Could you elaborate please?