Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd July 2013, 19:25   #16
BHPian

Default Re: The Ford Nanny - New Ford Fiesta DCT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Not really required - as the gears (auto) change as per speed. The box itself does 1-2-1 pattern unless you display a trend in speed increase. Just put it in 'D' and forget about it. Why work harder?
At normal throttle input, the 1 to 2 happens at 2000 rpm in my car. Now, picture this:

1. There is suddenly a decently big gap, and you would want to accelerate fast to cover the gap else a million two wheelers/autos would get in. (If you drive too slowly and remain in the 1st gear below 2000 rpm, the world would honk and enough bullying would happen)

2. When you do the above and aggressively cover the gap, usually the 1 to 2 gearshift happens.

3. Post this, the traffic slows down or usually completely stops.

4. So, the transmission shifts back to 1.

5. Again, scenario in step 1 gets repeated.

The above usually happens over a 8 km stretch on a typical evening in Western Express Highway, Mumbai.

Nothing wrong with this per-se. Just that there are a lot of unnecessary shifts and hence wear and tear/heat build-up of the transmission. Putting the transmission in 2 solves the problem for me. Most of this gyan from the Accord forums I frequent.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 13:28   #17
BHPian

Ok. That explains it.

#1: You had me in splits. This scenario is not limited to Mumbai, this is a regular scenario in Bangalore. I will try your method for a few days. I am sure Accord owners like you will have a solid reason to do this.

Another question I have is, if the gap is long enough, are you not artificially limiting upshifts? Like I use '2' mode only during hill descents - for engine braking. While preventing upshifts, this saves some brake burning too.

Also, how do you identify gearbox wear and tear?
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 13:47   #18
BHPian

Congrats on acquiring the New Fiesta Auto!
Have you enquired with Ford if they can retrofit the tiptronic for the Fiesta as they have the same autobox for the Ecosport? This should help in better gear selection during start stop traffic overtaking.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 16:39   #19
BHPian

Congrats on the car! Good to note that the build and handling of this car is one of the best. The price of course is on the higher side.

By the way, in post #3, the first image shows service interval of 1 lakh Kms / 12 months?!
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 18:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
By the way, in post #3, the first image shows service interval of 1 lakh Kms / 12 months?!
Thank you sir. The interval quoted in the image is a typo. Its 10k/1year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Have you enquired with Ford if they can retrofit the tiptronic for the Fiesta as they have the same autobox for the Ecosport?
Thank you very much sir. Even if it were possible, I would not give a go ahead, because I strongly believe that such components should be changed at a factory level only. And even if ford were to agree for a change in the factory, I might have to pay out of my pocket. That, I am not willing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
At normal throttle input, the 1 to 2 happens at 2000 rpm in my car. Now, picture this:
Makes sense. But I will never be able to do this in my car unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Congratulations on the Nanny
Thank you for your wishes. I have one more idea for an interesting read, but will have to wait till I find some inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks for posting an honest review Simple_car! Once we buy the car, very few tell about what you don't like in it with as much honesty as you did. We actually learn to love the way things are and defend as well
Thank you abirnale sir.
I am only bothered about the gearbox part. Its only me, nobody else is bothered. That said, otherwise, it is a very underrated car (for the right reasons as well).
About the price in the pics, I mentioned it as 'interesting'. I knew there was a catch somewhere. Thanks for posting the price of sx4 brake pads.
Simple_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 20:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Another question I have is, if the gap is long enough, are you not artificially limiting upshifts? Like I use '2' mode only during hill descents - for engine braking. While preventing upshifts, this saves some brake burning too.
Correct. if the traffic becomes freer moving, I select D4 and let the Autobox do it's job. Sometimes though, I get tempted to hear the VTEC and don't change the gear until the wallet reminds me!

Quote:
Also, how do you identify gearbox wear and tear?
You'll start noticing slower shifts usually - P to D4 takes time, D to R takes time. Then, there could be a slightly harsh engagement - you get a noticeable jerk when the gear shifts take place, especially 1 to 2 (since they are the most abused). Slowly, the jerks start getting worse both during upshifts and downshifts. Next stage is slipping during which the D4 light starts flashing to indicate malfunction.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 10:58   #22
BHPian

Simple_Car: I have become a fan of your threads! It certainly is unique and brings a smile to my face! I am getting my ecosport soon & i relate to some of the stuff you have mentioned which also made me change my mind (I booked the automatic too but finally shifted to Diesel).

BTW you keep saying "Sir" in all your threads! However young you are, please call us by our handle only & don't use "Sir"! It makes us all feel quite old as well.
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 12:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post

The engineers literally forgot about the rear passengers while doling out the car to indian public. No rear light, no door upholstery, not even silver door accents for the rear passengers.

I hate the looks of this car. The derriere reminds me of my nanny
Congrats!

One of the reasons i never considered the Fiesta , the attention to detail and the 'cosiness' factor was simply missing at the back. Really really bad.

As far as the derriere goes , well :-) , you can learn to love them!

Last edited by puchoo : 26th July 2013 at 12:38.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 16:34   #24
BHPian

nice review... very honest .... like the detailing
sidenote : somehow I get the feel that your writing style is inspired by the way Jeremy reviews everyday cars for Mr.Need-um in TopGear - just a hunch
venkyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 01:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Simple_Car: I have become a fan of your threads! It certainly is unique and brings a smile to my face! I am getting my ecosport soon & i relate to some of the stuff you have mentioned which also made me change my mind (I booked the automatic too but finally shifted to Diesel).
Thank you very much. I am wired from birth to talk to elders politely. I'll make an exception for you.
Congrats on booking the ecosport. I have yet to even spot one here in bombay. Any reason why you went ahead with the diesel? I think I have been a bit to harsh on the car in my review. I have learnt to tame the car now very well. Its only my irritation speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
As far as the derriere goes , well :-) , you can learn to love them!
Thank you very much sir. And may I take this opportunity to congratulate you on acquiring my favorite car of the moment?
Congratulations!

As far as the derriere goes, yes I don't mind it much now, but one look at the car from afar, and you'll know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
sidenote : somehow I get the feel that your writing style is inspired by the way Jeremy reviews everyday cars for Mr.Need-um in TopGear - just a hunch
Thanks a lot venkyhere sir. The style is not inspired, rather I have copied it unashamedly. That episode of the kia ce'ed has been embedded in my mind.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 01:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you very much sir. And may I take this opportunity to congratulate you on acquiring my favorite car of the moment?
Congratulations!

As far as the derriere goes, yes I don't mind it much now, but one look at the car from afar, and you'll know what I mean.
Thanks a ton!!! shes quite a delight and another derriere which i dont mind!!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 14:13   #27
BHPian

That was awesome Mate, Very entertaining read. Hopefully you and your beloved nanny have some awesome years of bonding ahead.
fight_club is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 09:01   #28

Quote:
Am attaching a few interesting pics taken by me at the wasan showroom at chembur giving a comparo of price of spares. Please excuse me for the poor quality pics; The showroom is cramped, and little light filters through.
=============
Dear Simple_car, Thanks for the review, I came across at the time I am finding hard to decide buying a used Fiesta DCT 6k 2012 June model & a Vento TSI Dec 2013 model 8k in terms of difference between the two in bumper to bumper traffic/stop go stop Mumbai western exp highway at 7PM from Jogeshwari to Kandivili.
Currently I use fiesta diesel 2006 model done 85k in the last 7 years & OK with it, but wanted to upgrade to a AT in petrol as my run is only 7K pa.Pl advise ASAP

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th November 2014 at 09:50. Reason: Please quote only the relevant portions of the post for your reply.
usatya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 18:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usatya View Post
I am finding hard to decide buying a used Fiesta DCT 6k 2012 June model & a Vento TSI Dec 2013 model 8k in terms of difference between the two in bumper to bumper traffic/stop go stop Mumbai western exp highway at 7PM from Jogeshwari to Kandivili.
Currently I use fiesta diesel 2006 model done 85k in the last 7 years & OK with it, but wanted to upgrade to a AT in petrol as my run is only 7K pa.
Hi usatya,

That is one horrible commute (timing wise) you have. The answer to your question will lie with you only, because from your statement I am assuming that you are new to the world of automatic cars in India.

DSG may be the darling of the auto-enthusiasts here, but it isn't mine sadly. I will elaborate below shortly.

However, to answer your question first, between the two options you have put across, I would personally pick up the fiesta my reasons being:
- beautiful and segment leading dynamics (handling wise)
- reliability. This model is protected by Ford's warranty for gearbox @ 10 years/2,40,000 kms (standard warranty applicable for 3 years for everything else).
- Relatively better support of Ford dealers in bombay (I am a regular at bhavna and wasan) compared to VW.
- seats in the top end titanium. Worth every penny spent (I am on the leaner side though).
- build quality.
- cheaper routine maintainence. Ford's service costs are now very reasonable, provided you are alert for all extra crap the service advisors will try to shove on you.

The relative cons of the fiesta:
- engine. It's ok for commuting, but for enjoyment, look elsewhere.
- relatively bumpier ride compared to VW. Not a deal breaker for sure though.
- looks.
- there are some cosmetic bits on this version where the quality is iffy.
- you will have to go after ford to get the latest software updates for this A/T version. I have done only one such update. The latest one is pending. It's just a headache, since ford isn't doing it voluntarily. For, more info, I suggest you read about fellow moderator 'sultan khan's' posts in the official review.

The pro's of the VW:
- engine
- interior quality is a tad better.
- rear space.
- comfortable. The chassis is very neutral.

Cons:
- service support is the biggest problem. Routine maintainence isn't a issue, but if you have more serious problems, you will have to take a personal interest to get things resolved. I have heard the VW downtown has become a lot better since the initial days, but still not as good compared to Ford's support in bombay.
- warranty. Sadly, since VW is not officially supporting the DSG gearbox for longer, it's always a worrying factor.

For everything else, I think both are evenly matched.

Now, coming to the reason why I don't advise DSG's for the commute which you describe:

Please remember that this is a strictly personal opinion.

DSG's aren't really comfortable for the stop go traffic. In the commute you describe, the box will be shifting in 1-2-1 gears only. That is where it irritates me the most. I have driven the Polo DSG briefly (for some 3-4 kms) through dense traffic, and my first impressions were the same.

Since, I am used to better automatics, the fiesta is a disappointment for me. However, for a first timer, I can't really say.

Personally, for commuting in Indian city traffic, nothing beats the CVT's or old school torque converters. However, as I said earlier, this is just me speaking.

If you are looking for convenience only, then DSG will be good as well. Your left leg will be thankful irrespective. So, as I said earlier, it will be upto you. I suggest you do a TD of both cars through heavy traffic (the kind you describe), see which car you like better. Come back, read through the pro's and con's I have listed for the cars, and decide.

I know my statements look confusing, but I am only giving you insight after driving a wide range of automatic cars in India, and my insight is purely based from a average user's point of view.

Happy shopping, and let me know if you need any further clarifications. Happy to help.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 09:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:

DSG's aren't really comfortable for the stop go traffic.

Personally, for commuting in Indian city traffic, nothing beats the CVT's or old school torque converters.

Simple_car
Simple_car, I've moved from a honda AT, and now there's an i10 AT and a Polo Tsi dsg at home, which I've been driving for a week.

No doubt that if you drive the dsg like a manual car in really heavy traffic, it isn't as smooth. I find the 3-2 transition a bit aggressive as well.

However, there are some workarounds to reduce that. Using tiptronic mode and a light foot has reduced it, so have some tips like a half second delay after releasing brake and before pressing accelerator.

Yes, it is more work than a conventional torque converter auto. But man, when you find a gap opening up or a even a little free stretch, the dsg pounces like a cat and puts a grin, never got this from the Hyundai, Honda ATs, including the civic paddles (which in retrospect feel so slow in shift times). Of course, mileage is much much better in the dsg.

So, super heavy traffic, I guess buy a TC if you value supreme convenience
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote