Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th July 2013, 14:14   #1
BHPian

Default Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'

I used to be active in Team-bhp Hyderabad meets around 2007-2008. My friends @Team-BHP know me with my ‘Yellow Palio S10’. That was an amazing drive. Hot Hatch of India ever, and it never disappointed me redlining it, ripping it hard. But it had to change hands, when I relocated to Chennai.
Soon I managed to place myself back in Hyderabad (joining my current org), and bought another Palio S10(repainted to red). It was as good as the previous one except for the fact it was my 2nd S10 with same registration number (11).

At my new office, I used to come across 2 pristine Octavia vRS cars. One is black and the other is Silver. It was my daily routine to appreciate both of them, and unable to judge which was better looking. One of those was Ardy’s Silver vRS, another was Adi’s (not a BHPian) stock Black vRS.

It was registered to my subconscious brains to own one.

3 Years back, I had an opportunity to pool-in with Ardy in his Stage-II vRS for Team-BHP meet, Glory!
That’s when I made up my mind to own (Earn) one. Discussions of earning one started with my wife. She felt bugged when I was appreciating that ride so much. Surely, many of us know what it means to talk about Machines with spouse. Finally it ended with my pledge to earn it when I deserve it.

In these 3 years, all my focus was settled at my work, got busier day by day, had an opportunity to travel a bit, turned (acted/assumed) to be sober.
I have been to Milan, Italy (Home land of super cars), Ferrari (My favorite) exhibition was my next priority against work/colleagues. I just sufficed with few Fiat 500 Pics, and a Ferrari cap. This is when I missed most of the fun with Automobiles.

Finally I realized the void, and shared my view to buy vRS with my friends in Suren’s party. Soon, in weeks I got an SMS from Ardy with his willingness to sell his car. But afterwards he has reconsidered to retain it. By then I was already bought into vRS fever irresistibly, and started searching for other vRs’s.

I have test driven 6 cars. 3 Black, 1 Silver (Rider), 1 Red, 1 Yellow.
Silver was ruled out in the first impression. Obviously, Rider misses vRS factor.
  • Red was out, as it was in bad shape.
  • Yellow was Stage-II (may be 3), and was out with its overprice, and a feeling that it might have undergone some serious crash.
    4 different shades of yellow on each part, and was evidently not in use for years (genuine odo was ~34000) .
  • Black 1 - Out for its over price, and 9K ODO in 6+ years was unreasonable
  • Black 2 -124K on odo, and was considerable
  • Black 3 - 72k on odo, and was considerable

For some reason Black 3 have appealed me genuinely (May be its Fancy plate). When I have seen it for the first time, it was abandoned and lying in a corner most parking spot at the dealer. I knew it would take a while to get the car out from that corner. So I wanted them to call me back when I can drive it.

They have sent the car to their Madhapur store, and I got an opportunity to check that reasonably. Interiors were all in decent shape, and working. When I test drove, it was found to be best of all (even while it was misfiring). Car was quiet, smooth, with decent breaking (compared to above stock vRS’s). Only trouble is Misfire.

Ardy/Prabhu helped me inquire the history of the car at Mahavir and Car sounded to be quite reasonable for its price, and is an easy decision. I bought it, and drove coughing (misfiring) car to the temple, and back to home that night, and slept in dilemma of Coughing car can as-well be a serious issue .

Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-skoda.jpg
Very next morning, I visited New Mars for the detailed inspection of the car. Spent whole day checking the car from all means. Below are jobs suggested. It is sure in a condition I expected 'wannabe Brute'.
  • 1 Igniter
  • 4 NGK Iridium plugs
  • Rear left Wheel bearing
  • 2 Rear Discs
  • 2 Front Discs (Thanks to Ardy for his Stock Discs)
  • Full Engine oil Flush (Oil isn’t in good shape)
  • Full Synthetic oil with Filter replacement
  • A/c Filter replacement
  • Fuel Filter replacement (I suggested)
  • Front Right amber light
  • Left OVRM glass
  • Injectors cleaning (I suggested)
  • Doors overhaul

I have taken the Coughing vRS on to ORR, and it was OK. Cruise control is working fine. Suspension was reasonable as well.

The next morning, car was picked up for getting all the above done, and car was washed and delivered. It was altogether a different car.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-frontwide.jpg
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-side.jpg
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-front.jpg

Started getting acquainted with vRS and have happily completed 2000+ KMS.
Below are my experiences with it so far.

Driving experience is amazing.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-dsc_0015.jpg
This is why my option was only vRS. I revved it to crazy red line, and it dint complain. Each and every part replace was showing off its fixes. That’s when I felt ‘now I own vRS’ hearing the Music of Turbo, and soft note of Exhaust when all 4 cylinders were on their run.

Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-v.jpg
High speeds are effortlessly, no rattles what so ever. Cornering feels safe, and braking is more than adequate (feels so as my previous car was Palio S10).

FE is more than what I asked for. Sane driving delivered Average of 12KMPL, and very rough drive delivered 8KMPL. I have no complaints!
When I do, I have Diesel cars for such jobs.

Bumper is too low for Indian (HYD) roads
I was very clear with my purchase opinion. But I surely have underestimated issues with vRS front bumper. It’s too low for parking it in my apartment with ramp up entrance. I have scraped the bumpers almost every time on my first day.
The next day, and tried taking it out in an angle instead of driving it straight. YAY, I managed it without scraping it.
Also, now I got acquainted with its clearance.

vRS is a Petrol car, not Diesel
Many petrol bunk guys don’t know that there is a petrol Octavia. So we should care to get down ensuring they fill in right fuel. Learnt it hard way.
I have been to an IOC bunk (Yousufguda road), and asked for ‘Petrol’. He started filling in, and soon I realized that its ‘Diesel’ meter which is ticking but not petrol. Immediately, I have taken the key off, and started yelling at the guy.
After all the drama, Petrol Bunk owner had the car pushed to nearest local Mechanic, and there the mechanic shared the beauty of this particular petrol bunk (thanking them for their continuous business). I am not alone, but those chaps at bunk have managed to fill diesel in several petrol cars. One was a surprising ‘500 KMS old Maruti 800’.
Guy wanted to defend that there is a Diesel model in ‘Maruthi 800’. I managed to be calm, and wrapped the situation up peacefully, and topped up with petrol.

Interiors are simple, elegant & no nonsense.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-interior.jpg

Having Hyundai Fluidic & I20, vRS feels old (stands out), and I like that part.
One thing I am not comfortable is its a/c controls. I would have appreciated if there was one big button to toggle A/C.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-dash.jpg

A/C grills gel into the dashboard, and look neat when kept closed, and also keeps it clean for a car like vRS (if used only as a weekender).
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-ac.jpg

Controls & indicators are as per LHD and confusing. Particularly for me, my daily drives have controls per RHD, and it’s going to be confusion forever.

Head unit is replaced with Pioneer DEH 6900 (No USB), but is a very good player.

Upgraded it with Bluetooth (link), and replaced rear Oval speakers with JBL GT0949. It sounds decent.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-speaker.jpg

Dials are cool, and better at nights.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-odo.jpg

Sports pedals do their job, and never lost that grip. For my car clutch is little hard, I should working on it in coming 3K kms.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-pedals.jpg

Sunroof is cool, working as expected but never found its use in Hyderabad weather, and I don’t smoke either.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-sunroof.jpg

Seats of vRS are very comfortable with nice Black/grey Leather upholstery, and particularly fronts seats are great with its lumber support, and height adjustment. Its gives very sporty feel with right settings.

For front seat inclination adjustment, Button adjustment (like in Japanese cars) would have been better than ‘Roll to incline’.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-seat.jpg

Rear seats are comfortable as well, and arm rest is a good convenience. But mostly our rear seats will be empty.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-interiorrear.jpg

Upholstery is very good, and was maintained clean, but door panel and roof tend to sag as they age. Roof started sagging, and I need to get it done.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-door.jpg

Carpet & Floor mats are intact, and got better with every wash.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-floor.jpg

Hand Brake & gear knob are nicely wrapped in leather, and hand brake engages just at 15-25 Degrees, unlike 45-80 Degrees in other cars.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-dsc_0017.jpg

Boot is Huge, and I like the Hatchback huge boot, with seats folded completely, 3 tall people can sleep in it.
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-boot.jpg
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-vrs_logo.jpg
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-siderear.jpg

Lights, and horn were dull, and it was struggling on cold start, hence changed the battery. Now it’s all good.

My Dislikes
  • Ground clearance
  • A/C controls
  • LHD/RHD confusion

My Likes
  • Ride Quality
  • Zero Cabin Noise
  • Strong cabin Feel with Heavy doors
  • Great drive response
  • Torque on demand
  • FE
  • Mod friendly

What upgrades do I have in queue.
  • Roof Upholstery
  • Front & Rear Bumper’s Repaint
  • Cup holder
  • Custom Remap (Trying it by myself)
  • Stock replacement intake
  • Custom FFE
  • Upgrade Clutch
  • …….

It evolves to be a 'Black Brute' eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-frontside.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th September 2013 at 15:50. Reason: Minor changes. Also please note that we don't condone extremely high speeds on public roads.
naveen.kk is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 14:20   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Another vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'

Naveen,

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your acquisition. It looks in a good nick.

Wishing you loads of safe and enjoyable miles on the vRS.

Welcome to the club.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Naveen,

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your acquisition. It looks in a good nick.

Wishing you loads of safe and enjoyable miles on the vRS.

Welcome to the club.

Cheers,
Ardy
Thanks Ardy,
You have been a great help in finalizing, and choosing the car. Need your feedback once it is ready.
naveen.kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 10:16   #4
BHPian

Last Night car was out from workshop with all fixes and a quick wash.

Cold and cough are gone, it started whistling all through. Sure its back to the condition I expected.

Taken him on gachibowli ORR again. 150/160 kmph was effortless. At that speed there is some air leak from sun roof.

Breaking is amazing with all new discs. But on close inspection, rear discs seems to be rubbing only at edges. May be i should keep a periodic eye on them for 1000 kms.

So far it did 250kms in my hand, more to go.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.kk View Post
Last Night car was out from workshop with all fixes and a quick wash.

Cold and cough are gone, it started whistling all through. Sure its back to the condition I expected.

Taken him on gachibowli ORR again. 150/160 kmph was effortless. At that speed there is some air leak from sun roof.

Breaking is amazing with all new discs. But on close inspection, rear discs seems to be rubbing only at edges. May be i should keep a periodic eye on them for 1000 kms.

So far it did 250kms in my hand, more to go.
Congrats Naveen, Ardy is single handedly responsible for quite a few of us taking the plunge, braking in the VRS is a beauty and so is confidence you get in high speed stability, the only additional care you need to care of is of sudden dips in the road, you have one while coming back from the airport towards the city, any speeds in excess of the legal limit makes you feel your front bumper is going to take a hit.

Congratulations, welcome to the elite VRS club.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Another vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'

@naveen,

Congratulations on the Black Brute.

So how much did you "cough" up for the listed jobs to bring the brute to live & kicking. I feel just one pic isnt enough to suffice an ownership review, needs lots more. Pls oblige.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely (keep the brute sometimes on leash).
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 12:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I've heard Skoda horror stories far too many to be brave enough to Earn for one, let alone take the plunge and buy a used one. I know it's a heart over the head decision and I wish you well for your new acquisition.

The VRS truly is a monster machine, if kept, maintained and cared for.

Congratulations and Drive safe.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 12:40   #8
BHPian

@Motoringlover
Thanks
Yes, Ardy is responsible. Particularly I have matured to vRS from Palio looking at his vRS for years.

Yes, Front bumper sure is a pain in Hyderabad. But, thats a very small Concern when matched to others. I will take care on the Airport bump you mentioned.

Considering the same, I dint get bumbers painted yet. I know I will scrape it a little, and them will get it done.

@ghodlur
It just costed 4K to fix his coughing issue. Rest all were working OK but dint want to drive it that way. Rough cost was ~30K. I was sure prepared for that. Lucky me it dint surprise me.

Another Skoda Octavia vRS evolving to be a 'Black Brute'-1093884_10151513505940544_469922665_o.jpg

I was attending its health, so dint go for Photo-shoot. I will soon post some more pictures.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2013 at 14:24. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
naveen.kk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 12:55   #9
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Congrats naveen. vRs club is growing. Looks like we should have a vRS national meet.

Two observation or rather queries :
1. Timing belt health ? Didn't find any reference in your report.
2. Coolant : if not changes you should consider this also a priority. vRs is happy with 100% coolant. I have been on 100% coolant since i bought it.

Cheers & drive safe.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 13:09   #10
BHPian

@9thsphinx
Thanks!
Yes as many in forum said. You just cant Buy an RS, you got to Own it.

@v&v
Thanks to you too. I completely missed to mention about your thread, it helped in me buying into vRS. Yes, timing belt is verified. Again lucky me, its replaced.

Coolant was missed out, When I was inspecting that car, coolant container literally had Rust. It was flushed to replace fresh coolant.

Yes, we can have an exclusive vRS meet. But in Bangalore Please!

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2013 at 14:21.
Old 30th July 2013, 23:00   #11
BHPian

Hi Naveen,

Congrats on your purchase. Lucky you !!

The yellow car you are referring to is it the same one which is with Mahavir Motors Paradise ? Even I checked it out but the price quoted was too high and I have been seeing it lying in the corner since many months or years I should say.

One more doubt ? what is it that your referring to as stage I, II ? are they some kind of variants ? Little light here please

Congrats once again.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 30th July 2013 at 23:03.
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 01:32   #12
BHPian

Thanks Abhi_abrath.

Stage 1 and 2 are stages of mods with remaps for vRS. Which gets upto 300 BHP out of it, some even claimed more than that.

Yes that yellow vRS is still lying there. I referred the same car. Its insanely priced.

Last night, we have been to Airport for 'Drive & Dinner'. vRS did ~200KMPH effortlessly.
It was pleasing to push further without any signs of Vibrations or rattling. Sunroof was slightly whistling, are there any tips to make it any quieter?

Soon I brought it back to Cruise Control ~120KMPH.

Now I got used to its front bumper & ground clearance. Getting used to parking it. Thank god for working reverse sensors. A little bit of I20 driving with reverse camera has spoiled me.

Can someone shed some more light on driving Do's/Don'ts of vRS.

Thanks in Advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Congratulations for the vRS Naveen anna.

It is a looker in black. Wish you many happy miles and smiles with the RS.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Thanks Anurag.
Yes Black vRS is something else.

Cosmetics are in todo list for my car.

A quick update on its fuel consumption. I know what to expect out of this, and as my previous car was Palio 1.6 I will definitely be happy with it.

As per the meter, Its was showing 11.8. Which I learnt later that it means 11.8 litres for 100 KMS, which converted to 8.7 KMPL.

My 'Tank Full test' returned 7.7 KMPL, 45 Litres for 350KMS. Out of which, 80-100 KMS drive was on its misfiring Cough, ~50 KMS of rough driving, ~80 KMS on cruise control, rest all in Hitech-city traffic. The numbers are beyond my expectations.

I am planning a long drive over the weekend, and this return will return actual FE (post Service), and also some decent pictures.

Also I have started some basics with KWP2000, WINOLS, and IDApro. Feels like starting from kindergarten. Will update if I have seen any results.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th August 2013 at 14:02. Reason: Merging all back to back posts
naveen.kk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 19:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone shed some more light on driving Do's/Don'ts of vRS.
Congratulations for the vRS Naveen anna.

It is a looker in black. Wish you many happy miles and smiles with the RS.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 14:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:

As per the meter, Its was showing 11.8. Which I learnt later that it means 11.8 litres for 100 KMS, which converted to 8.7 KMPL.

My 'Tank Full test' returned 7.7 KMPL
She is quite a gas guzzler !
but never the less the driving pleasure trumps it!
Congrats on your ownership, especially on the choice of black!
Nice number too! (Hoping its not an edited number plate)

I too got a black ! Couldn't resist it!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ur-garage.html

Last edited by johannskaria : 7th August 2013 at 14:55.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 13:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
She is quite a gas guzzler !
Many think so, but I think its perfect!
It returned around 13.5KMPL on Highway at speeds of 100-140
I need to check how it delivers if I drive it like my grand dad.

Quote:
but never the less the driving pleasure trumps it!
Exactly!
This is why I chose it. VRS is the best in this part. I have thrown it to a test on ugly Vikarabad road, it dint complain at all.

Cornering on it is seriously addictive, I should save myself from getting into trouble.

Quote:
Congrats on your ownership, especially on the choice of black!
I too got a black ! Couldn't resist it!
Thanks & Congrats to you too for your Black Panther!
Black is a showstopper!
Quote:
Nice number too! (Hoping its not an edited number plate)
Yes Its real! I have an obsession for 'Pot Pairs'.
I nurtured from 11, then 11 again and finally 77.